• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima thinks the Switch has the potential to reach Wii-like sales

D.Final

Banned
line-graph-2.png

Nintendo Switch is currently outpacing Nintendo Wii and only needed 21.77 million units sold to surpass Nintendo Wii which could easily be achieved in the next fiscal year sales.
Probably, yes

It is more likely to sell worse than the Wii U than anywhere as close to the Wii.
Considering how overpriced the Switch is.. Yeah, no... And this is coming from a guy who has one on pre-order.

Nintendo off in their fantasy world again...

Maybe get to wii U sales before you get excited

he sounds like a nintendo fan on neogaf from the wii -> wiiu transition.

good times.
Nintendo executives have been out of touch with the gaming scene in quite sometime. There is no way.
kimishima-5a80d39e82ce9.jpeg

This was fun to read through.
You can see most of the users here didn't even think Nintendo Switch could potentially sell more than 20 million units ltd, but after reaching a few milestones everyone are claiming something like this " Of course it's going to sell gang buster when they combined handheld and console together " like they were expecting it to be a successful hardware from the start .

This is absurd. The Wii was literally a cultural phenomenon. You had people who didn't care about games buying it because they'd played Wii Sports at a friend's house. You had housewives buying it because of Wii Fit. There is zero chance they'll do that again. Zero.

Shaqazooloo Shaqazooloo , I only saw my really old post because of your reaction! :)

I'm happy to eat a plateful of crow. I don't know why people go doo-lally for Nintendo hardware sometimes, but they've certainly struck gold - again - with the Switch.

Closer

I'm happy to eat a plateful of crow. I don't know why people go doo-lally for Nintendo hardware sometimes, but they've certainly struck gold - again - with the Switch.

It just shows how completely out of touch with the whole gaming landscape you were and probably still are. This is true for most of us here, really.

Closer

True, but I'm not sure anyone realistically expected the Switch to sell like it has done. Isn't the damn thing on track to be the biggest console since the DS?

I'd guess noone has predicted this much success, but people were claiming it'd sell worse than WiiU, so there's that.

Last edited:
I refuse to touch my plate of Crow until I get Xenoblade X reboot on Switch. GTA V just for the lulz, and a Super Switch.
Cold crow is still crow.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It’s amazing how people who’ve been playing games for so long still forget that hardware power never pushed sales in this market.

The pull of Nintendo’s exclusives is strong. Smart people should have started suspecting that Nintendo still got it when Splatoon 1 served so many plates of crow to the many who predicted it’d be lucky to make Wonderful 101 numbers. But no, most just doubled down on the Nintendoomed even in the face of evidence.

I’ll admit I didn’t expect Switch to do so well in so short a time. While the initial message was very clear compared to WiiU, I was one of those who thought the price was too high for comfort. I was on the fence until last minute, but then ordered a Switch for launch anyway. Never regretted it.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
You're seriously still going to continue the false meme that a lot of people only bought it for Wii Sports when the Wii sold nine games per console?

Mario Galaxy alone sold 12 million copies. Super Smash Bros. Brawl sold better than every single PS3 game except GTA5. New Super Mario Bros Wii and Mario Kart Wii sold 30 million copies each, more than any single game on PS3 or 360.

I mean in theory it's possible that half the Wii userbase never bought another game. But that means the other half bought 18 games per console, vastly more than any other console ever released.

Wii Sports got the Wii in the door for many buyers. But then they bought just as many games as they did for other consoles, it had an ultra successful software ecosystem in its lifetime, despite getting no AAA support from third parties.
one of the few comments in this thread that are unironically good.

Ryu Kaiba

Bunch of 15 year old posters or short sighted adults basing everything about Nintendo on the Wii U. Of course they were wrong.

Bragr

Banned
Alternative view, Nintendo Switch vs Wii U.

It looks like the Switch peaks haven't reached the heady heights of Wii U popularity yet and we all know with hindsight how popular the Wii U was/is.

FbosBtO.jpg

Just a fun comparison of what it actually turned out to be. The Switch has around double the average interest with many more and longer trending spikes.

Robb

Gold Member
These threads are always a joy to read through.

Kimishima seems like a pretty cool dude, iirc he was also among the few that predicted the WiiU would be difficult to sell to consumers. Which was also correct. Two in a row;
Coincidence I Think Not GIF

FbosBtO.jpg

Just a fun comparison of what it actually turned out to be. The Switch has around double the average interest with many more and longer trending spikes.
Well, it's higher but not massively so considering the huge difference in sales. I guess the takeaway is that Google Trends is not always a good barometer of popularity.

Edit: I used the same search terms as the original poster. Using just "Switch" gives a much better impression, though there is a baseline that should be subtracted.

pIVsDUJ.png

i023RUR.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom