• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (really) Rottenwatch - Currently 5% RT / 44 MC

Looks like my trailer reaction was accurate.

The moment I saw the first poster, with Arthur wearing something that wouldn't be out of place in a modern day biker bar, I knew what we were in for.

The fact that its been almost forty years since the last decent conventional King Arthur movie pisses me the fuck off.

Damn...

You trust an advertisement more than critic reviews?

To be fair, while this is fantasy rather than sci-fi, as is pretty common for sci-fi fans, as a sci-fi fan plenty of times we generally have to take their criticisms with a big ol grain of salt and still go see a lot of sci-fi movies they rant about, when it comes to those movies since many of them like virtually nothing and half the time seem to have a hate boner for the genre. :)

Valerian has that in the bag.

Not sure whether that means good or bad.

I'm hoping that's at least good fun, having seen bits and pieces of the animated series, and having liked the trailers, I'm looking forward to seeing that one.

It's not.

It's only good in small moments (too brief considering how damn long this is) rather than an underrated whole tbh

Damn shame though. I disliked the last king arthur movie more than this (that was just straight up boring and dull) but I was really pulling for a good movie that would bring back the fantasy magic to the myth.
Dont do this to me, Disco.

Blizzard

Banned
The trailer was so bizarre. Am I understanding correctly that King Arthur is supposed to be the villain with the Hitler youth / alt right haircut and literal Nazi salutes?

maruchan

The moment I saw the first poster, with Arthur wearing something that wouldn't be out of place in a modern day biker bar, I knew what we were in for.

The fact that its been almost forty years since the last decent conventional King Arthur movie pisses me the fuck off.
40 years? Did you ever see the Merlin mini series from the 90s with Sam Neil, and Helena carter. That shit was awesome...

ZeoVGM

Banned
What a shocker, guy who hasn't made a decent film in almost two decades continues to make garbage. Hope Disney fires him from Aladdin.

And before you bring up the Sherlock Holmes films, don't. The ONLY reason those films worked was because of RDJ. Anyone else in the role and they'd be crap.

Listen, you can't say "he hasn't made a good movie in two decades" and then write off two of those movies with the caveat of "but those don't count." (Man from U.N.C.L.E. was certainly "decent" as well.)

They're his movies and they absolutely count.

He isn't getting fired from Aladdin.

I expect no less from the guy who ruined Sherlock Holmes.

Those movies, especially the first, were very well received worldwide. There are a ton of Sherlock Holmes adaptions, a number of which are from this era, if you didn't like his movies. He didn't "ruin" Sherlock.

There's a pretty clear difference between that movie and this one.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sherlock_holmes_2009/
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/king_arthur_legend_of_the_sword

Ratrat

Those movies, especially the first, were very well received worldwide. There are a ton of Sherlock Holmes adaptions, a number of which are from this era, if you didn't like his movies. He didn't "ruin" Sherlock.

There's a pretty clear difference between that movie and this one.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sherlock_holmes_2009/
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/king_arthur_legend_of_the_sword
Your right, they are actually great next to Abominable Bride.

I forgot about Man from UNCLE. It was incredibly boring.

Protome

I wonder if the CG was unfinished in the trailers and looks better in the film or not. Because it looked worse than the CG in BBC's Arthur show.

I need to get around to watching BBC Sherlock.
Watch the first two series then pretend it ended there and don't bother watching anything past that.

IrishNinja

this looked like butt, no surprises here - no idea how great Lost City of Z would have to be to convince me Hunnam's not a mediocre-at-best actor. Sam Worthington levels of forgettable in everything i see him in.

Guy Ritchie was on Joe Rogan's podcast and said that the studio stays out of his way, just gets to do his own thing .

Why in the world does WB give this dude carte blanche?

Because Sherlock Holmes wasn't a disaster?

Zasa

Lmfao, can't say I'm surprised after watching that trailer. Just looked completely ridiculous & obnoxious from the start.

deleted

I feel like Guy Ritchie's style gets nurtured as soon, as the budget goes up.

There were moments in the first Sherlock where I was surprised to see that this was indeed a Guy Ritchie movie. The rest was the normal Blockbuster blend.

I saw the Led Zeppelin trailer. I rather like the idea of the mash up between medieval era fused with rock. At least it makes for some interesting trailers. I never saw it, but there was that film with Heath Ledger- A Knights Tale, which had a similar premise, and if I recall correctly, people didn't respond well to that either.

Fusing of such different styles is very difficult. Which is why its amazing when you come across something like Cowboy Bebop or Firefly, which blends completely different genres that give the audience polarizing connotations. Westerns and Sci-Fi and Jazz have little to do with one another, but they make it work.

Maybe there is a cheesy uncanny valley anecdote to it? Metal has always had this fascination with fantasy. Maybe a lot of people find rock + medieval era just to be bringe because it makes them think of 80s Dio music videos?

jett

D-Member
Guy Ritchie was on Joe Rogan's podcast and said that the studio stays out of his way, just gets to do his own thing .

Hard to say. Man from UNCLE bombed. WB seems to like going for directors they already know, no matter what.

The real mystery is why Disney hired Ritchie for Aladdin.

I saw the Led Zeppelin trailer. I rather like the idea of the mash up between medieval era fused with rock. At least it makes for some interesting trailers. I never saw it, but there was that film with Heath Ledger- A Knights Tale, which had a similar premise, and if I recall correctly, people didn't respond well to that either.

Fusing of such different styles is very difficult. Which is why its amazing when you come across something like Cowboy Bebop or Firefly, which blends completely different genres that give the audience polarizing connotations. Westerns and Sci-Fi and Jazz have little to do with one another, but they make it work.

Maybe there is a cheesy uncanny valley anecdote to it? Metal has always had this fascination with fantasy. Maybe a lot of people find rock + medieval era just to be bringe because it makes them think of 80s Dio music videos?

You know I actually dug the use of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You in the trailer. Probably the only thing that made me somewhat interested in the movie.

Idk, getting Guy Richie to direct an historical action epic is about as bad as an idea as it would be to give Kevin Smith Fast & Furious 9 to direct.

I saw a trailer for this yesterday and it looked like pure shite.

jrush64

Banned
I wonder if the CG was unfinished in the trailers and looks better in the film or not. Because it looked worse than the CG in BBC's Arthur show.

Watch the first two series then pretend it ended there and don't bother watching anything past that.

lol no. ZeoVGM, Watch everything as it's a great show.

Jezan

I watched it, though I arrived late I couldn't watch the first 15 minutes or so.

Spoilers maybe...

But it felt like a really weird movie, trying to set up many things by jumping to future events that Arthur explains as what-ifs then go back to the present , advance the present and then jump to a farther future when the what-ifs happended. Ok my explanation probably sounds confusing but you will know when you watch it.

Also the fights
when he uses Excalibur
is the exact same style used in a cutscene in Smash Bros. Brawn in Subspace Emissary when Meta Knight and Marth fight , aka normal speed and when te sword clashes against something it goes into slow motion and the sword glows, looks cool ,
when there is no Excalibur
it's just shaky cam you can't make out anything.

Are those even spoilers?

Sometimes the music is like me and my friends are drunk and we wanna start a band and hit any metal object we find near us.

Charlie is hot af

GunBR

Richie REALLY needs to make british gangster movies again

I really liked Rocknrolla and both Snatch and Lock Stock were amazing

If some executives on Warner like you and you can make a single box office sucess the company will finance all your dumb ideas even if all your other movies are a big failure

Just look at the Wachoskis
or Snyder

I saw it at a preview screening a couple of days ago and it really is terrible.

After a bunch of Marvel movies you kinda start taking for granted how those movies are able to create some emotional connection to superhuman characters in the middle of high action chaos. There is none of that here. Arthur is played like a smug gangster from Snatch, the acting of the sorcerers is SO bad and there's a million other small characters that have zero personality.

Besides that, 80% of the plot makes no sense, the jokes aren't funny, and the movies feels like it's 3 hours long because there's constantt flashbacks to the same early scene.

Some of the action scenes are alright because it at least looks good, but the actual fighting is a lot worse than Sherlock Holmes or any other big action movies in recent memory.

I actually hadn't expected much going in after seeing the trailers, but this was still a huge disappointment to me.

kswiston

I updated the stats in the OP. The RT score is now at 23%, but still carrying that same 4.7 average. The Metacritic score dropped to 41.

With over 50 reviews now, RT went ahead and added a critics consensus

Critics Consensus: King Arthur: Legend of the Sword piles mounds of modern action flash on an age-old tale -- and wipes out much of what made it a classic story in the first place.

kswiston

Hollywood Reporter confirmed the $175M budget.

Studio tracking for this film is $25M over the weekend, but boxoffice.com is predicting $17.9M. The latter would put a $50M domestic total in doubt. King Arthur is now the prime candidate for box office bomb of the summer.

mreddie

Double Toasted Review: BULLSHIT

"You're trying to plan out 6 movies when you couldn't even make one."
"[Ritchie] needs to go to editing rehab."

illamap

I had to choose between gotg 2 and this and went to see king arthur, since gotg 1 soared me so bad. Overall movie wasn't bad, little confusing and disjointed but it had great action visuals and 3d.

AndersK

Who is this movie for? The trailers and commercials don't give me a sense of anything.

'So we made a movie about King Arthur, except we took out the parts about chivalry and added fucking Mumakils and Arthur is now a cursing badass!!'

Fans of Arthurian legends: '...wha?'

'So you liked Ritchies prior work about a group of charismatic neer-do-wells cursing their way through adversity? Great! We threw the recipe in a blender and added some CGI dragon eels and set-pieces you thought were cool than one time in 2008!'

Ritchie fans: 'you wot m8'

'So you like yourself some fantasy? We got fantasy for you baby! Or, y'know, a GRITTY and REALISTIC
2 colors, one of them grey
colour palette and David fuckin' Beckham, man!'

Fantasy fans: 'ehhhh, um, how many Mumakils again?

Tl; dr:

Nobody knows who this is for.

Top Bottom