• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Full Roster Leak (with character pics)

OmegaDL50

Agreed OmegaDL50.

I keep trying to think of a good modern example, and I think the closest I can get to is Triborg from MKX. With all the additional "characters" popping up for his Winposes, Fatalities, and Brutalities, it actually is pretty similar to how Athena calls in Psychic images of her friends to cheer her on.

You can even have all those accessories constantly on her body (as part of the mesh or rig) and just turn "on" and "off" whatever is suppose to be seen. Actually, that's exactly how Necalli's Super hair works in SFV.

Isn't there like a hundred costumes in Maximum Impact 2 as well.

So SNK simply doing dozen or so costumes to use for Athena's Psycho 14 move, if she has it that is. Doesn't seem like much in comparison.

Since KOF XIV is using 3D character models, it makes me wonder how they are going to handle alternates anyways. I wonder if will be just a stock selection of different colors, or do they plan to do the Maximum Impact 2 thing with completely different costumes entirely.

Street Fighter IV also did something similar with different costumes too.

I hope SNK plans to announce a release date soon, I need to plan my game purchases to make sure I'll have enough funds to fit in KOF XIV.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Isn't there like a hundred costumes in Maximum Impact 2 as well.

So SNK simply doing dozen or so costumes to use for Athena's Psycho 14 move, if she has it that is. Doesn't seem like much in comparison.

I remember doing the math before, and counting all the retextures, it's like 360 or something. They're a bit fast and lose with some things, sure, and some costumes reuse textures and such, but it's still a crazy achievement.

Since KOF XIV is using 3D character models, it makes me wonder how they are going to handle alternates anyways. I wonder if will be just a stock selection of different colors, or do they plan to do the Maximum Impact 2 thing with completely different costumes entirely.

Street Fighter IV also did something similar with different costumes too.

I hope SNK plans to announce a release date soon, I need to plan my game purchases to make sure I'll have enough funds to fit in KOF XIV.

That's one of the cool things about the graphics being a bit simplier in some ways; they can probably afford to go a bit nuts on things other make overly-complicated. I hope they're full of graphic tricks just like KoF XIII, giving characters leggings of different lengths, removing jackets for certain "colors", putting logos on shirts that were previously just 1 color, making tops and bottoms that were the same color in one costume different in others (Hello Ryo, Kim!), etc.

As for a release date... hm. Maybe they'll start narrowing it down from "sometime this year" to "some time in X quarter" and such, soon. KoF is much like Tobal 2 was for me: One of the few things I'd get rid of other games to ensure I'd get this one. (The times I've traded in games from my own collection can probably be tallied on a single hand.)

6c07e4cfcc34392412bd8f36b0d56d8be231cc35_1_690x431.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I welcome Tessa back into the modern Fighting Game world. Give me a DLC costume and I'll buy it Day IsItThatDayYetDoItAllReady.

A.E Suggs

This is a long shot but does anyone have sales for KOFMI2? I heard that was the best selling one in the west but I've yet to see any numbers. I know the first one sold well but I don't know about the 2nd for the west or japan

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
This is a long shot but does anyone have sales for KOFMI2? I heard that was the best selling one in the west but I've yet to see any numbers. I know the first one sold well but I don't know about the 2nd for the west or japan

Remember that MI2 was called "2006" in the west. I doubt that MI2 was a sales star, as much as the MI series (and 1) in general. I remember 2's release was pushed around / delayed, rumored to come with the Another Day OVAs (which I don't think it ever did), disappearing and reappearing on sellers list, and not as premium as the MI's initial release, so I don't think it did nearly as well.

Not to mention MI1 actually had a Magazine ad. Don't think 2006 got much promotion in comparison.

A.E Suggs

I guess that makes sense. I do remember MI had a TV commerical at the time too so that's probably why it did good. Odd that the 2nd game couldn't follow the first one in sales in the west.

Top Bottom