• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Full Roster Leak (with character pics)

#TeamSylvie

image.php

BadWolf

SNK has started activating comments again on their trailer uploads to YT.

That's when you know for sure that the game is being much better received.

Well he has the kanji for "shinobi" on his headband thing so I think it's a fair assumption :)

Oh nice, good to know.

petran79

Banned
The "annoying voice" thing was prevalent then, but other than that, there wasn't as much instant-hate for young girl designs then. Instead of seeing them as "Loli-OtakuBait-Pandering-BS!" or something of the sort... they were basically just "The Chun Li of their games".

I'm still closer to that mentality. They're colorful additions to cast, that add much-needed diversity. Not just a desperate plea for dirty Doujinshi and pervy postings.

Me too. I also include Capcom characters like Felicia. It also matters that during that time Western audiences were more or less used to the classic anime girl archetype you saw on TV and VHS. There was also fanservice, but they were far from the more peculiar desings you see in newer post-2000 series and doujin games, that got popular thanks to fansubs and internet
Even the more mature anime content, eg PC-98 Western PC ports, had more in common with the classic design.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Here ya go. Quick and dirty on the back of a notepad while at work :p

Very nice, especially for being done at work! You make me wanna draw something for her too... BUT NOT NOW! Here, you're apparently inspired others! (These are from Facebook apparently):

It's good to see the people who like her are having fun with her design. I remember those who dislike the "Bellbottom" look of KoF XIII acting like all the character designs were outdated... THIS ONE'S FOR YOU, apparently...

Adnor

Banned
Wait...1, 2, 3, 4...3x16+2...yeah that's 50 characters, all right.

Why does this roster still look small to me?

KOF has so many characters that unless they make a game with basically everyone some omissions will stand out and make the roster look smaller.

TreIII

You know what, you're both right. Hopefully with the switch to polys, it won't be too difficult for the dream of having every KoF character ever in this game, or the eventual sequels at least.

I just think it's a matter of time. But at least in SNKP's case, this is one of the "best" problems one can have. They got a certifiable backlog of KOF veterans alone that at least SOMEBODY out there wants to see come back, let alone whoever else may crossover form other SNK franchises, thanks to the shenanigans XIV brings to the table.

She looks like SNK caved into the demands of whiners and made her go on a diet.

Personally, I'm glad. She looked horrible in both XII & XIII. Other characters such as Takuma/Mr. Karate, Ralf, Clark, & Yuri looked terrible in those games, too.

Wait...1, 2, 3, 4...3x16+2...yeah that's 50 characters, all right.

Why does this roster still look small to me?

Well, half of the roster in KOF XIV are characters that were already playable in KOF XIII (25 of them) while having the return of Ramon, Angel, Tizoc, Geese, Choi & Chang (along with introducing Tung Fu Rue & Nakoruru) & including 17 new characters (Sylvie being one of them).

Spman2099

Personally, I'm glad. She looked horrible in both XII & XIII. Other characters such as Takuma/Mr. Karate, Ralf, Clark, & Yuri looked terrible in those games, too.

Saying they looked "horrible" seems like pure hyperbole to me. I don't think anyone looked horrible in those games. However, in my opinion KoF XIII is the best looking fighting game ever made.

I wish Ralf and Clark looked like they did in KoF XIII. Love the beef on them.

Gren

Saying they looked "horrible" seems like pure hyperbole to me. I don't think anyone looked horrible in those games. However, in my opinion KoF XIII is the best looking fighting game ever made.

I wish Ralf and Clark looked like they did and KoF XIII. Love the beef on them.

Wasn't Nona in charge of art direction for XII/XIII? He has always had a more distinctive (and devisive) artstyle.

I thought Athena looked fine in XIII body-wise, but those eyes were straight horror-status, so if making her go back to normal eyes means she has to go back to the slim idol bodytype, I'll take the loss.

Silvie looks a little ridiculous, but it's not eye-poppingly awful at least. Kim looks really strange, way too young. He and Kyo are the two models that look really "off" to me so far, which is a bummer since Kim and Terry were the two guarantees for my eventual team. I hope they touch him up a bit.

Kamina777

Banned
Sylvie isn't as young as I thought she was. Now she looks really disturbing, like a teen or very petite adult trying to be moe.

Sesha

I like that Athena's design changes reflect the fashion style/popular idol look at the time. I wonder how Athena would look if they didn't make Sylvie but instead had Athena emulate Kyari Pamyu Pamyu. The outrage would probably have been massive (for KoF).

If he has a DP when he whiffs it the character will say "THAT'S NOT WHAT I WANTED! LAG! HWUH HWUH HWUH!"

Upon first hit he'll say "What the f? I BLOCKED IT!"

OmegaDL50

Kinda missing out on a lot more of Athena then...

The only character that I'm aware of that has consistently changed her design in each game she appears in, since her fighting game debut in KOF '94.

There hasn't been a single year which her design had some kind of tweak or modification in some way, excluding XII to XIII

I think KOF XIII was the first time ever that she skipped a design change due to how exorbitantly expensive was to create the sprites for XII / XIII.

I like that Athena's design changes reflect the fashion style/popular idol look at the time. I wonder how Athena would look if they didn't make Sylvie but instead had Athena emulate Kyari Pamyu Pamyu. The outrage would probably have been massive (for KoF).

I think it might be more surprisingly more accepted rather than a new character. Considering it's known factor that Athena has always changed her design from game to game. In fact one year she was wearing a poofy skirt with sentai genre-like gloves and boots.

Some people might find such a change to be a bit detracting, but for the most part, I'd say others would just shrug and go "another year, another redesign"

A better question to ask is, If Athena's Psycho 9 (or 14 in this case) move makes an appearance in this game, I wonder if SNK would go so far to model and texture each hit of the attack for all 14 transformations.

As the Psycho 9 in KOF2001 had her transition into every single incarnation of her appearance from her original Arcade design in Athena through KOF 94 to 2001, i.e 9 times.

So a Psycho 14 would be interesting to see if she had it as her SDM.

petran79

Banned
Nice to see such a positive and artistic reception to Sylvie. SNK's still got it.

To think that few years ago Blazblue fans (a more niche anime game) had negative reactions at the addition of Platinum (she also does the butt attack), while KOF fans are welcoming Sylvie....

this seems unreal!

To think that few years ago Blazblue fans (a more niche anime game) had negative reactions at the addition of Platinum (she also does the butt attack), while KOF fans are welcoming Sylvie....

this seems unreal!

Athena, Yuri, and Mai have had butt attacks for a long while, maybe that's why?

Maligna

Banned

I wish Ralf and Clark looked like they did in KoF XIII. Love the beef on them.

Clark was always my favorite specifically because he was a grappler who WASN'T a beefed up muscle man. That's very rare.

Daft Punk

Banned
Here ya go. Quick and dirty on the back of a notepad while at work :p

Via Twitter:

Cd2sZonWwAAVIaS.png:orig

Look what ya'll started!

Very nice, especially for being done at work! You make me wanna draw something for her too... BUT NOT NOW! Here, you're apparently inspired others! (These are from Facebook apparently):

It's good to see the people who like her are having fun with her design. I remember those who dislike the "Bellbottom" look of KoF XIII acting like all the character designs were outdated... THIS ONE'S FOR YOU, apparently...

Just sketched this out real quick.
Cd4avNfVAAEmvJB.jpg:large

These are great. I want to cry. T.T

Amedo310

Not KOFXIV related, but Yasuyuki Oda was present at a Japanese Last Blade 2 and Garou tournament, "Keep on Shining" today. He gave out the awards. One award for both games was a awesome Rock and Kaede art. It must be great to know that people are still playing your game seriously after so many years.

BadWolf

Not KOFXIV related, but Yasuyuki Oda was present at a Japanese Last Blade 2 and Garou tournament, "Keep on Shining" today. He gave out the awards. One award for both games was a awesome Rock and Kaede art. It must be great to know that people are still playing your game seriously after so many years.

That's so great that they are finally getting involved with communities.

Iirc their attendance at the Japanese tournament with XIV next month is also a first for the company.

Hopefully they have something planned for EVO as well.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I like KOF 2001 short hair Athena. I'm weird like that.

One of the few solid things out of 2K1, haha. It is pretty nice, and has all of her charm points going simultaneously, but not in a normal Seifuku!

I've never see anything compare her to various fashions of the time. It'd be nice to see some direct references.

I think part of Sylvie's popularity with the right circles lies in her personality and mannerisms. She's really embodying Kyary. If Athena donned the look, would she, or KoF players, even like it? I could imagine it being something forced upon her by her talent agency or something. If this where to happen, the entire Psycho Soldier team would probably be re-imagined... and Momoko would take Chin's spot again. Oy... this'll all probably happen in the future now, lol.

Seeing Athena bummed, uncomfortable with her new image, and basically just fuming every time she has a break between fights would be kinda funny. Though I'd feel bad for her the entire time. That'd be some deep layered "Moe" there.

latest

The only character that I'm aware of that has consistently changed her design in each game she appears in, since her fighting game debut in KOF '94.

There hasn't been a single year which her design had some kind of tweak or modification in some way, excluding XII to XIII

I think KOF XIII was the first time ever that she skipped a design change due to how exorbitantly expensive was to create the sprites for XII / XIII.

It's such a great thing. I miss the days of her being so trendy... though I do have and idea of how they could re-instate such a thing...

I think it might be more surprisingly more accepted rather than a new character. Considering it's known factor that Athena has always changed her design from game to game. In fact one year she was wearing a poofy skirt with sentai genre-like gloves and boots.

Some people might find such a change to be a bit detracting, but for the most part, I'd say others would just shrug and go "another year, another redesign"

I do think this line of thinking sells the actual effect short though; Sylvie's reaction right now gets some loud detractors, but wouldn't be as damning to SNKP and what they're doing to SNK's KoF as totally changing Athena into the type of person who'd dress and act like that.

Of course, I could seriously be over thinking it, I admit!

I'd love to see Athena be portrayed as more of a nostalgic idol, Miho Morikawa / Mari Iijima style, against Sylvie's Kyary.

A better question to ask is, If Athena's Psycho 9 (or 14 in this case) move makes an appearance in this game, I wonder if SNK would go so far to model and texture each hit of the attack for all 14 transformations.

As the Psycho 9 in KOF2001 had her transition into every single incarnation of her appearance from her original Arcade design in Athena through KOF 94 to 2001, i.e 9 times.

So a Psycho 14 would be interesting to see if she had it as her SDM.

athena-combo-kof-xiii-o.gif

I loved the fact she still had such a tribute in XIII, even if it wasn't as overly animated as the older variation. (It did have multiple endings though, which was awesome.)

This would be a great game for her to just use different transformations in basically every (special?) attack, since we're using 3D models and all. If you make it part of her gameplay, it's less making a model for one move, and more making a model for general use.

tumblr_myj8i8OMyd1r66h7yo1_500.gif

(Just saw this gif and thought it oddly appropriate, heh). It'd be a good way for them to keep using that Seifuku initial image they seem to adamantly sit with, but still give her the ability to change around a lot.

2k1AthenaMai2.gif

chang.gif
(I'm sorry)

It's kidna interesting to think that Athena could play like Chizuru (or Shadow Clone Naruto) in some places, if she wanted to...

Quite a great thing to hear. It'd do well for SNKP to get some public facetime out there; The way that Seth Killian or Ono became synonymous with Capcom's releases over recent years really helped make the company more endearing and "personal" at times. It's appreciated, and makes a company feel less like a big corporate conglomerate, and more like an Indie Studio you personally love and know all about.

TreIII

Quite a great thing to hear. It'd do well for SNKP to get some public facetime out there; The way that Seth Killian or Ono became synonymous with Capcom's releases over recent years really helped make the company more endearing and "personal" at times. It's appreciated, and makes a company feel less like a big corporate conglomerate, and more like an Indie Studio you personally love and know all about.

Yeah. For better or worse, having a "face" that you can attach to a company/brand is just good thing to have for a company's image. So I'm glad that SNKP (and their owners) seems to finally be citing some of the better strategies that have worked for some of their competitors last generation.

I was one of the ones very critical of SNKP for their missteps last gen, but I'm certainly glad to see more proof positive that they have learned at least some things.

tumblr_myj8i8OMyd1r66h7yo1_500.gif

(Just saw this gif and thought it oddly appropriate, heh). It'd be a good way for them to keep using that Seifuku initial image they seem to adamantly sit with, but still give her the ability to change around a lot.

What anime or game is that? It looks neat.

Loona

While I like the Psychic 9-14 concept for Athena, 3D doesn't really seem like an easy environment to implement it in, modelling whole outfits that show up for less than a second each. The concept certainly didn't make it to the MIs...
Even if the default game had that many alternate models for the character to justify their existence it would be a pretty tall order in a game already manageing such a big cast...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
What anime or game is that? It looks neat.

I can't say exactly from when, but it's Lynn Minmay from Macross. Probably from the "Do You Remember Love?" movie.

The character I'll always think about first when I think about Japanese Idols, thanks to Robotech.

While I like the Psychic 9-14 concept for Athena, 3D doesn't really seem like an easy environment to implement it in, modelling whole outfits that show up for less than a second each. The concept certainly didn't make it to the MIs...
Even if the default game had that many alternate models for the character to justify their existence it would be a pretty tall order in a game already manageing such a big cast...

All just depends on how they do it. Since a lot of outfits would basically just be a change of a texture and an addition of an accessory, or even turning an already-there texture transparent.

Remember how the MI games had "Rigging Model" accessories, or even how Killer Instinct now has it's varied sets per character.

It'd be more work up front, but Athena traditionally has always been.

OmegaDL50

It wouldn't be entirely new models but rather just a bunch of textures / costumes more or less.

It would be the same model / skeleton but each transition would just be a different texture / skin for each transition.

In fact I'd say 3D is easier for this sort of thing because unlike 2D which you need to redraw every single frame, a 3D model just needs a texture swap or some extra polys for specific accessories like jewelry or whatnot.

The work involved would be far less extensive.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Agreed OmegaDL50.

I keep trying to think of a good modern example, and I think the closest I can get to is Triborg from MKX. With all the additional "characters" popping up for his Winposes, Fatalities, and Brutalities, it actually is pretty similar to how Athena calls in Psychic images of her friends to cheer her on.

You can even have all those accessories constantly on her body (as part of the mesh or rig) and just turn "on" and "off" whatever is suppose to be seen. Actually, that's exactly how Necalli's Super hair works in SFV.

Top Bottom