• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Full Roster Leak (with character pics)

I think it's one of the two announcers in the actual game. As much as I'd love English voice acting, I'm not sure if we'll get any. At the very least, I would have loved to have the characters speak their native language.

I think it's why I'd love to see English voice acting (and proper, experienced voice acting, not just guys off the street with some advertising voice over experience). I think English with some distinctive accents could sound better than everyone speaking Japanese with random Engrish/foreign phrases.

Despite not caring much about Street Fighter IV and V, I think they do a great job with the voice acting. As unlikely as it seems right now, I just think that level of voice acting would be really cool to see in KoF.

Everything. There's way too fucking much going on this design.

Let's break it down.

maxresdefault.jpg

The giant eyes.

The giant gloves with the Wilma bracelets on the gloves (shouldn't they be on her arms)

The huge bow on her head.

Her hairstyle

kbo5K5v.png

The huge skirt with the star decals.

Clown shoes-heel combo.

Stripped socks.

On top of that her midriff is exposed which looks dumb with how over the top her clothes are.

Each of those things are like unique elements that you could use one or two max on a different character to make them stand out a bit better and make them unique, except they threw all that shit into mixer with a single character and looks dumb as hell.

Not to mention we can already tell she will have an obnoxious personality with her BEEP intro.

The eyes are definitely the weirdest part for me.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a character they had thought of long ago, but figured it would just be too difficult to draw and animate in 2D.

BadWolf

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a character they had thought of long ago, but figured it would just be too difficult to draw and animate in 2D.

That could very well be the case.

It's as if that one character designer finally got his/her chance to go all out.

Interestingly enough, not even one of the new character designs seems to be based on or similar to the new character concept art they had for KOFXII.

TreIII

Interestingly enough, not even one of the new character designs seems to be based on or similar to the new character concept art they had for KOFXII.

I wager it's probably because it's an all new team. Why bother looking back if you were going to aim to do your own thing from the jump?

For better or worse, we're not even getting the traditional KOF scenario writer involved, so there's going to be "newness" in more areas than one...

BadWolf

I wager it's probably because it's an all new team. Why bother looking back if you were going to aim to do your own thing from the jump?

For better or worse, we're not even getting the traditional KOF scenario writer involved, so there's going to be "newness" in more areas than one...

Good point and I'm all for it.

In general I'm loving the redesigns coming out of this team. Beni, Chin, Kula, Billy, Vice, Choi, Chang and more all look the best they've ever looked.

... though this will make the characters that receive no refresh kind of disappointing since I'd wonder what could have been.

With these reactions I'm going to main Sylvie just to piss people off when I win. :)

That's usually the go to auto-defense for characters like this. "I'll play Lucky Chloe to piss people off, lol!"

What you don't understand is that if people truly hate the design enough, those people you're trying to "piss off" won't even buy the game in the first place.

BadWolf

That's usually the go to auto-defense for characters like this.

What you don't understand is that if people truly hate the design, the people you're trying to "piss off" won't even be playing the game.

If some people won't be playing a game with 49 other characters then they weren't all that interested to begin with.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
That's usually the go to auto-defense for characters like this. "I'll play Lucky Chloe to piss people off, lol!"

What you don't understand is that if people truly hate the design enough, those people you're trying to "piss off" won't even buy the game in the first place.

I know just teasing mostly. I'd have to give Slyvie a proper go around before she joins but I find the reactions pretty silly overall.

Fandangox

That's usually the go to auto-defense for characters like this.

What you don't understand is that if people truly hate the design, the people you're trying to "piss off" won't even be playing the game.

... what?

There's 50 characters in this, because I hate one doesn't mean I won't be playing it. I love KoF, not even 10 shitty character designs would stop me from playing it, I mean look just look at the graphics. I am pretty sure plenty of people will still dislike her design, but play the game.

There was this other poster on the other thread saying that people who hate her design probably never played a KoF before too.

I don't even know anymore.

i don't care if people like or dislike the character i just think that the wholesale copy-paste a character/person design philosophy is hilarious. its amazing its literally just kyary in a fighting game. but with electric powers. and as far as i know we've never proven definitively that kyary doesn't actually possess electric powers.

I have no idea who Kyary is, but its not like SNK hasn't done this before.

yeah i love shit like Not Tetsuo and Freddy Krueger But Little so im into this as well lol

Fandangox

i don't care if people like or dislike the character i just think that the wholesale copy-paste a character/person design philosophy is hilarious. its amazing its literally just kyary in a fighting game. but with electric powers. and as far as i know we've never proven definitively that kyary doesn't actually possess electric powers.

latest

I think I might really like Sylvie. Her outfit is SO GOOFY. Those giant eyeballs on the sides of her head make me smile every time I see them.

All I need to see is how she plays.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
No? I mean. Is that the point of her design? to be an afront to the eyes?

It's working pretty well.

Well, that's just, like, your opinion.
Yes, her design is supposed to be garish, she's obviously based on Kyary Pamyu Pamyu.

Everything. There's way too fucking much going on this design.

Let's break it down.

maxresdefault.jpg

The giant eyes.

The giant gloves with the Wilma bracelets on the gloves (shouldn't they be on her arms)

The huge bow on her head.

Her hairstyle

kbo5K5v.png

The huge skirt with the star decals.

Clown shoes-heel combo.

Stripped socks.

On top of that her midriff is exposed which looks dumb with how over the top her clothes are.

Each of those things are like unique elements that you could use one or two max on a different character to make them stand out a bit better and make them unique, except they threw all that shit into mixer with a single character and looks dumb as hell.

Not to mention we can already tell she will have an obnoxious personality with her BEEP intro.

See, this is fair.

Oh Japan...
.......Fuck that loli bulshit!

This is not, she ain't even loli. She's not even gothic lolita or whatever. Apparently big poofy skirts = loli?

latest

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu

Loona

Sorry~! But I still think inventing a new Capoeira user who's not even tangentially related to Richard or Bob was a bad idea.

I like the idea of the KoF world being big enough that people that practice a similar art aren't all related or learned from the same lineage of teachers.

TreIII

I like the idea of the KoF world being big enough that people that practice a similar art aren't all related or learned from the same lineage of teachers.

I guess it's just a harder sell for me because let's face it: minority/PoC representation in KOF has, historically, been lacking. Capoeira being one of the few means that saw the likes of Richard or Bob being on a SNK game roster, only for it to get supplanted by another Japanese loli? It just never set right with me, personally.

Again, it would've been another thing if it was someone like Pupa (ROTD).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SNK's not even hiding that she's an expy of her, are they? "Sylvie Paula Paula" is so blatant.

But... why? I don't get what's wrong about that type of character? What is it about these types of characters that they don't like?

See, this is the type of thing I don't get. Can you tell me what you dislike about this character?

Honestly, the first strike against someone like Sylvie is that, even before you get to what makes HER a unique character, people see "This is everything that's wrong with Modern Japanaese... EVERYTHING!"

Kyary is 23 years old. Yet people see a character like her in a game, and they'll still call the character a "Loli". The see an exposed midriff, and no matter how covered the rest of her is, this is oddly sexual for a "loli".

Any "cute" Japanese female voice is instantly "annoying". She might not even be the most high pitched, but's the very idea of the mannerism and sounds that Japan finds cute (even in live action! even in serious TV shows!) is an instant turn off, exasperated by self-defined expectations.

Not to mention the "moe" ideals have been overused and cheapened now, too. It's more like "anything cute or tryhard that makes me facepalm" than a term for a specific character archetype.

I don't follow Tekken too hard, but even I don't like what I saw of Lucky Chloe. I've often felt like Tekken has bad realization on many of it's designs though, and Chloe felt like she's all image, but the substance was lacking. This might be less true once I get to know the character, or it might be that Tekken's style still feels lacking to me, but yeah.

Sylvie here, however, feels like someone is actually a fan of the culture that surrounds weird modern acts like Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, and wanted to get all the goofy mannerisms, the speech style, overly-busy accessories, and general wackiness through. This is legit something that designer is probably interested in, and this is their way of expressing it.

It's REALLY common for SNK to do this. Gai Tendo is basically Grappler Baki. Robert Garcia is a fun take on Steven Segal. Ralf is Rambo. Leona's a love letter to Kamen Rider, complimented by May Lee and her Tokosatsu Henshin antics. Tung Fue Roshi is... wait.

I think one of the best things about working with SNKP seems to be the fact that they let their designers run wild with their games. Shin'ichi Morioka basically got to remake Cool and Harry Ness when he moved from "The Fallen Angels" into working with KoF, and thus we got K' and Maxima. Falcon got characters HE LIKED from SNK into Maximum Impact not because they made sense... but because he loves Hanzo, for instance. And he got to design alts for every character in the game, even though that heavily clashed with their established personalities.

They really seem to let a designer put their own personal stamp SOMEWHERE on the character list, rather than just remaking their established characters over and over. I actually find that really cool about them, as a company. It makes odd inclusions seem less like pandering to fan bases, and more like... letting the fanbase play around in your world.

I just caught news and came rushing

SO HAPPY KYARY IN KOF, IMMEDIATELY MY FAV FIGHTING GAME, TOP 10 VIDEO GAME OF ALL TIME, NO LONGER CARE MY SAIKI AND ASH MAINS ARE ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

She's absolutely amazing aaa, having seen Kyary live and having had a photo with her there's no way to get better than this for me yessss

Amedo310

SO HAPPY KYARY IN KOF, IMMEDIATELY MY FAV FIGHTING GAME, TOP 10 VIDEO GAME OF ALL TIME, NO LONGER CARE MY SAIKI AND ASH MAINS ARE ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

She's absolutely amazing aaa, having seen Kyary live and having had a photo with her there's no way to get better than this for me yessss

Lol. This is good. I hope to see like responses for R Kelly ninja and House of a 1000 corpse prisoner. It always good to instantly have someone to use in KOF, especially if they are base off a modern pop culture star.

BadWolf

Happy for your bro, lol.

Gren

They gave Kim's pants flared bottoms again :p Thought the reign of Falcoon's tyranny would be over by now.

Sylvie looks ridiculous; if she's decent enough I'll use her to troll.

RSLYG

Honestly, the first strike against someone like Sylvie is that, even before you get to what makes HER a unique character, people see "This is everything that's wrong with Modern Japanaese... EVERYTHING!"

Kyary is 23 years old. Yet people see a character like her in a game, and they'll still call the character a "Loli". The see an exposed midriff, and no matter how covered the rest of her is, this is oddly sexual for a "loli".

Any "cute" Japanese female voice is instantly "annoying". She might not even be the most high pitched, but's the very idea of the mannerism and sounds that Japan finds cute (even in live action! even in serious TV shows!) is an instant turn off, exasperated by self-defined expectations.
etc
This man is an expert understand my pain.

Cryxok

My GF loves Kyary. She'll definitely love the new character.
Loved the trailer even if none of the confirmed characters suits me. So far only Beni seems to have a spot in my team. Loved Billy's and Clark's redesigns but I've never been good with them (specially Clark)

I don't get what's so wrong with Sylvie? I see a lot of people complaining but I don't understand what people find so objectionable(?) or bad about her.
Because people here hate idol shit. I'm utterly indifferent to it, but I just meant that this was the one character that was likely to be recieved negatively of the newcomers.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I don't get what's so wrong with Sylvie? I see a lot of people complaining but I don't understand what people find so objectionable(?) or bad about her.

The design looks stupid. I don't think we need discussion on what part of pop-culture this character is supposed to represent. She looks flat-out awful.

ShruggingShoulders.png

Momentary

Banned
So this new girl is the one show with the "official invitation" roster. I guess that pretty much means that leak is sport on. They both have they same necklace. How the hell did all this character art get leaked?

BadWolf

So this new girl is the one show with the "official invitation" roster. I guess that pretty much means that leak is sport on. They both have they same necklace. How the hell did all this character art get leaked?

Nobody knows where it's from but the first person to post it was a user named Shen-Woo (?) on twitter, iirc.

Either way it seems that at least one of the leakers releasing info is someone who worked on the game at SNK but is no longer employed there.

A.E Suggs

That's not really true, people still bought MK deadly alliance even when they had some terribad designs. People still bought DOA even after they added maria rose. People rarely if ever are turned off by a game for a character so long as the character they want is in.

Iirc Kim is the first character so far that has received zero changes to his design, and his portrait in the leak showed as much.

But let's be honest, just like K' it's perfectly in character that he doesnt change his look. K' because it's a drag and Kim because he's a stubborn dad at this point.

Amedo310

I think SNK shifting inspiration for new character creation from the 80s/ 90s to 2000s to modern pop culture.

Everything from the 80s and 90s will stay with the 90 staples. There's not much point for SNK to have whole cast based off characters from a time where new fans won't appreciate as much as characters inspired from the late 2000s to modern era.

TreIII

I think SNK shifting inspiration for new character creation from the 80s/ 90s to 2000s to modern pop culture.

Everything from the 80s and 90s will stay with the 90 staples. There's not much point for SNK to have whole cast based off characters from a time where new fans won't appreciate as much as characters inspired from the late 2000s to modern era.

I would say it's just them doing more to stay "with the times". Which they always did a decent job of doing, I'd say.

While there are a number of 80s/early 90's throwbacks throughout the series, you can tell where stuff like Evangelion left its mark. And that was something that was current and hot when KOF96 and 97 were released.

When you think of it like that, adapting at least one thing from KLK isn't what I'd call outlandish, at all.

Loona

I guess it's just a harder sell for me because let's face it: minority/PoC representation in KOF has, historically, been lacking. Capoeira being one of the few means that saw the likes of Richard or Bob being on a SNK game roster, only for it to get supplanted by another Japanese loli? It just never set right with me, personally.

Again, it would've been another thing if it was someone like Pupa (ROTD).

Fair enough.
The fact that a rumor mentions a brazillian ninja means there still gets to be a variation on an existing art not only through a different lineage (not expecting a Shiranui, Kisaragi or Hizoku), but also from a completely different part of the world, let's see how that turns out...

Elixist

so does every character have 1 glam cam super? that shit just gets old so quick wish it would go away back to normal cam supers, at least in this it seems like not all supers are that way from footage.

so does every character have 1 glam cam super? that shit just gets old so quick wish it would go away back to normal cam supers, at least in this it seems like not all supers are that way from footage.
I believe each character has two Desperation Moves (Supers) and one Climax DM (Ultra). The two regular DMs have EX versions that activate the "glam cam"

Top Bottom