• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Full Roster Leak (with character pics)

BadWolf

But let's be honest, just like K' it's perfectly in character that he doesnt change his look. K' because it's a drag and Kim because he's a stubborn dad at this point.

Kim's design has always been simple but the fantastic 2D art, especially XII/XIII, took it to the next level.

Without that he looks a little plain.

so does every character have 1 glam cam super? that shit just gets old so quick wish it would go away back to normal cam supers, at least in this it seems like not all supers are that way from footage.

Level 1 = no fancy cam
Level 2 = fancy cam only on the super flash, the duration is the same as regular
Level 3 = this is where fancy cam gets a decent amount of use

In general the length of the supers is the same as XIII.

dadjumper

That character sure is Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, huh? Not sure how I feel about that, she doesn't really seem to fit. That said I'm kinda down on this whole game, I really just wish it was 2D but I might check it out anyway. Nakoruru is an awesome addition!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is Sylvie on the leak?

Also I don't get the hate on Sylvie, what are the chances of her welcome being warmer if she was shown as a sprite instead?

TreIII

From SRK, it seems Sylvie is a member of NESTS:

https://twitter.com/gatoray_kof/status/710633989095034880/photo/1

Guess NESTS is part of the new story.

Hooray, K' may actually have a reason to be here, now~! After being filler since the NESTS arc ended, that's a good thing. Maybe the new scenario writer(s) already off to a decent start if most of the teams have their own degrees of agency to be here.

Is Sylvie on the leak?

From the same Twitter as above:

https://twitter.com/gatoray_kof/status/710491085617950720

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Is Sylvie on the leak?

Also I don't get the hate on Sylvie, what are the chances of her welcome being warmer if she was shown as a sprite instead?

She's also in the text leak, as 电属性少女歌手 (Girl singer with electric properties).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Is Sylvie on the leak?

None, ha. Would she even exist as a sprite is a good question... she's so busy, they'd probably have gone for something a bit different?

But considering the hate / disdain for Momoko, Hinako, Malin (does anyone ever ask for her to even come back?), Bao, etc... I think many are just offput by anything "moe" or "loli" in presentation.

Sprites, HD 2D art... the only thing that would change her reception from some is for her to be in an IM@S game or something.

None, ha. Would she even exist as a sprite is a good question... she's so busy, they'd probably have gone for something a bit different?

But considering the hate / disdain for Momoko, Hinako, Malin (does anyone ever ask for her to even come back?), Bao, etc... I think many are just offput by anything "moe" or "loli" in presentation.

Sprites, HD 2D art... the only thing that would change her reception from some is for her to be in an IM@S game or something.
I don't know, Kula is a blatantly loli character and she's pretty popular. I think Momoko, Hinako, Malin are disliked more because they are simply bad designs, or bad characters to play as in the case of Hinako.

What we can see of Athena looks horrible :[

She looks like SNK caved into the demands of whiners and made her go on a diet.

RIP the meat off her bones :(

athena12-wink.gif

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I don't know, Kula is a blatantly loli character and she's pretty popular. I think Momoko, Hinako, Malin are disliked more because they are simply bad designs, or bad characters to play as in the case of Hinako.

Kula kinda got in before the "moe" Bias started to occur. I wonder if she'd fair as well if she was introduced in XI.. well, not there, her power would make her loved no matter what... XD

I saw a LOT of Hinako play in the early days of 2k2UM. Malin might be the only one I'd see as a "bad design", and not even because I don't like her, but more because she doesn't even seem to be remembered at all. I've at least seen some Momoko love out there...

Athena being some degree of "Curvy" is so much more refreshing, and a great throwback to her inspiration's style... farewell Apple-Bottom Athena! (-_-)7 helloooo *comment withheld for now*!

Bardiche

Vice was the highlight of that trailer. Her redesign looks nice and the grapples are brutal as usual. Hopefully Vice and Mature will continue to appear in future games.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I like how both previous posters have Mature avatars! ;)

I like the throwback art up there. Though I have to mention, though no one ever seems to pay attention to it... I like Vice with a tanned skin tone. I never know what it means in her case, though.

Is it "Evil people turn brown!" like Akuma, Dark Sakura, Evil Ryu, etc? Is it a tan? Does she have a bit of Thai or something in her blood?

Either way, I like how it sets her apart from Mature (Making Mature look even more "pure" when sat beside her), and just makes the cast as a whole look slightly more diverse.

Guess NESTS is part of the new story.

From Yuki Yagami (cyberfanatix), roughly translated.

In the remnants of the secret organization NESTS, beautiful girl to manipulate the electromagnetic force freely. NESTS had received the treatment useless can not be exhibited performance in age, ability flowering one day on the border. After NESTS devastating, it is scout the place that had been active in the underground martial arts world in KOF organizer. New character that appeared from "KOF XIV".

Karsha

Tbh Malin Hinako and Monoko are the most forgettable Kof characters IMHO, I'd put Foxy too if she didn't appear often in Kula's super .

tzare

game keeps improving. I really like Kim (still needs a bit of work though) and Vice. I never liked those 'freak' characters like this new girl but it is okay to have a few of them so there's a bit for everyone.

Gas station stage reminds me of AoF3, but didn't good as good imo. But nice to see more stages :)
Please release before summer and support ps3 sticks

Sayad

athena12-wink.gif
Fat Athena was a plot line in KoFXIII, it's something idols have to deal with, seems like she overcame obesity in XIV. ;p

She's a true idol now:
Idolmaster-Turns-10.jpg

petran79

Banned
Kula kinda got in before the "moe" Bias started to occur. I wonder if she'd fair as well if she was introduced in XI.. well, not there, her power would make her loved no matter what... XD

I saw a LOT of Hinako play in the early days of 2k2UM. Malin might be the only one I'd see as a "bad design", and not even because I don't like her, but more because she doesn't even seem to be remembered at all. I've at least seen some Momoko love out there...

Not that SNK did not have similar characters in the 90s.

latest

rimururu4intro.gif

latest

ss2_chamcham_anim.gif

Zerojul

latest

rimururu4intro.gif

latest

ss2_chamcham_anim.gif
Those designs were clean and simple. This new char's design is more busy and eccentric, thus divisive. I'm not sure moe/loli is her main "problem", some people just find her ugly. She would be as ugly to them if she was a full-grown 35 yo lady.

Loona

Gas station stage reminds me of AoF3, but didn't good as good imo. But nice to see more stages :)
Please release before summer and support ps3 sticks

According to the Korean PlayStation blog post the stage is called Navajo Land, which seems like more of a callback to the stage Terry and Rick Strowd shared in Real Bout 2... Rick fans may be upset that Vanessa got a couple of his moves in 2002, so I guess this is a little consolation prize for their character?...

Ah yes, I remember you can't kill that Last Blade character

IIRC there's a pachinko game where Akari show up a bit older than in Last Blade, which is a peculiar development. SNK aren't afraid of letting their characters develop and grow sometimes, and that was a particularly odd instance of that.

BadWolf

From Yuki Yagami (cyberfanatix), roughly translated.

MMCafe's Professor did a better one:

Sylvie

A remaining survivor from the Nests cartel who can control electromagnetic power at will.

NESTS treated Sylvie as completely useless member since she couldn't bring out her potential back when the cartel was around, but she later woke up to her power after the organization had demolished and started making use of it in the underground fighting scene.

From there, she was scouted by the tournament organizer of the KOF tournament.

EDIT:

Sylvie has a butt attack, looks kind of like Momoko's:
b2jCu7J.jpg

Kim's Hishokyaku:
j3alCgM.jpg

Still don't know if Kim will have his rekka's back or have his f, f+A style combos back from XIII.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wait wait wait wait...

wait..

PEOPLE

HATE

HINAKO?!!!!!!!!!!!

SNKP likes her enough to put a very nice sprite of her in the Sumo BG in KoF XIII! I started to like her move when I looked at her as a replacement for Shermie.

The "annoying voice" thing was prevalent then, but other than that, there wasn't as much instant-hate for young girl designs then. Instead of seeing them as "Loli-OtakuBait-Pandering-BS!" or something of the sort... they were basically just "The Chun Li of their games".

I'm still closer to that mentality. They're colorful additions to cast, that add much-needed diversity. Not just a desperate plea for dirty Doujinshi and pervy postings.

Those designs were clean and simple. This new char's design is more busy and eccentric, thus divisive. I'm not sure moe/loli is her main "problem", some people just find her ugly. She would be as ugly to them if she was a full-grown 35 yo lady.

Naaa, if she was a full grown 35 yo woman, people would see her as something of a Madonna throw-back, and many detractors would probably like her! ;)

If Athena's schoolgirl outfit is used to throw a color ref to every schoolgirl color set in anime, I hope Sylvie's is used to throw references to notable edgy / glam / visual kei style acts, too. Give her some colors based on K.I.S.S, Bjork, Disco acts, Rock, Pop Idols, etc... and I think you could get a lot more traction out of her design.

Top Bottom