• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV gets a graphical upgrade in 1.10 patch

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
For the new page:

G-Mantle (ゲーマント) ‏@SNKPofficial
THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV:
Be one of the first people to play the newest version of KOF XIV (Ver. 1.10) at PSX2016!
CyeLpDlUcAAMaao.jpg

Rhapsody said:

Ralf is cool enough to be pictured twice! ;-) Sylvie looks as menacing as she always did during her "transformation" too.

I always appreciated the subtle outline they have on Ralf when he does his CDM the, glad to see he keeps it with the new lights and textures.

I could see the desire to add even more to "PRO" being a reason why this graphic update was decided on in the first place. I wouldn't imagine it to be exclusive though...

Here's an in-game image of the graphical upgrade.

CyofP0nUcAAujFX.jpg:large

HHmmm.. please don't throw a rock at me, but anyone else want a toggle option now,
the dark shadows are now making yellow colors musturdy and stuff.

Edit. I don't remember that color on kyo btw :/

Edit#2 Lol are the profiles not changed yet?

Still bums me out that we got 3D instead of their amazing 2D spritework. Or even something like GGXrd - or even cell shaded.

The days of those expensive 2D sprites for SNK are over. They're too time consuming & too expensive.

By the time that the development for KOF XV starts, they won't even have to do much work on the returning cast of characters because 50 of them (as well as another Kyo skin) have already been made in 3D. They just have to work on other characters who haven't gotten the 3D treatment yet.

I don't know how they thought that a niche fighting series widely acclaimed for its art would get a free pass with awful graphics. It's like if Gran Tourismo would decide to make the game only play with bumper cam.

Are you kidding? With all of those "PS2 graphics", etc. comments from a lot of trolls in the past? LOL

blazeaire

Really neat, I just bought the game a few days ago but might hold off playing through everyone's story until this update drops, hope it's not Pro exclusive though :/

NeonZ

Still bums me out that we got 3D instead of their amazing 2D spritework. Or even something like GGXrd - or even cell shaded.

I don't know how they thought that a niche fighting series widely acclaimed for its art would get a free pass with awful graphics. It's like if Gran Tourismo would decide to make the game only play with bumper cam.

By the time of KoF 99, I remember the old sprites being target of heavy criticism. Even the ones from KoFXII and XIII were accused of being still low res when the games came out, although the overall response to the graphics was more positive than the one to these 3d models.

Coreda

I prefer the look of the former lighting with the first example in the OP. The added dark contrast in the patch makes it look like it's wanting to achieve more realism but still ends up looking dated. The second screen is better.

Dinjoralo

Yeah, that really helps with the whole "Looks like a PS2 game" thing. The flat, muted lighting really made it look like a lot of games from 2001-2003, to me.

thelastword

Banned
Here's an in-game image of the graphical upgrade.

CyofP0nUcAAujFX.jpg:large
The Pro upgrade at 4k 60fps should be glorious.....

Basically they just improve the lighting and sharers. Background no improvement.
Background elements were all running at 60fps already, that's a quite excellent as opposed to many modern games and fighters which run at half the framerate in the background.....

To me, this looks like a game that can keep improving graphically. Their next game might be what you can really look forward to for a major graphical upgrade though...

Finaika

Background elements were all running at 60fps already, that's a quite excellent as opposed to many modern games and fighters which run at half the framerate in the background.

What "many" modern games and fighters that run at half the framerate in the background?

Also, that particular background has virtually zero animations.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I actually like how KOF14 looks and think it is a nice overall visual package, but the graphics are pretty basic in a technical sense by current standards. It would be scandalous if all its elements didn't run at 60fps on a PS4.

qcf x2

They picked the worst/second worst stage to show, also that stage doesn't have many shadows to speak of. I would assume that they'll address backgrounds in a later patch; that they are doing this at all is pretty much unheard of.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned yet that kyo and iori are wearing costume colors not present in the game. Either implying that they are adding more color palletes or they are going to make a version of color edit

Top Bottom