• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV gets a graphical upgrade in 1.10 patch

BHK3

Banned
Leaked image of Pro Patch

937423_20071018_screen026.jpg

Definitely an improvement but this is still the ugliest fighting game I have seen in recent years. The artstyle is so bad that it actually puts me off from playing the game and that's something that has hardly ever happened with me.

CSX

Also, why are their names written twice there? It's driving me crazy looking at that.
The name right below the life bar I bet is a user defined name that defaults to the character's name. In online matches, it would be your psn/ganertag.

KiteGr

Why is the Kusanagi Sun symbol being replaced with a generic flash.
kyo_kusanagi_logo2_by_thegame680official-d4b2mcr.png

I though that was a good touch in the game. Why is it being removed?

Izuna

Banned
Also, why are their names written twice there? It's driving me crazy looking at that.

It will be replaced by a gamertag or network id in online play. Or I think, during the World tour mode or smth where you can edit the chrs or play against ghost AI.

I see that the CG opening cutscene was their target render after all. I so far like that kyo looks a lot like kyo now. The darker shading is reminiscent of the classic neo geo sprites. I can't say too much until I see it in action.

On a side note I do hope they update their character renders for the selection and win poses as well. At least for some uniformity

JediLink

The shading on his fingers has reversed. In the top image it's on the left side but in the bottom it's on the right.

That looks noticeably better.
How is the game by the way?
I've never been a big KoF person, but I enjoyed XIII and the demo for this seemed fun. Is the game worth it, or is it going to be left in the dust like SFxT (undeservingly) was?

I've never been a big KoF person, but I enjoyed XIII and the demo for this seemed fun. Is the game worth it, or is it going to be left in the dust like SFxT (undeservingly) was?

It's a great game with a ton of characters.

It's a great game with a ton of characters.

Yeah, the roster was what was drawing me to it, but I'm only really used to the FF characters (well the ones from FF3), and I usually just stick with what I know when I play KoF.
That being said, a few of the new characters, like the boxer from the demo, the girl with the toucan etc. all seem fun to play.

Finaika

Its the best fighting game of the year.

Onemic

Looks a lot better, as the lighting is no longer flat and there's self shadows now, but it still looks like crap overall.

Better than nothing though, that's for sure.

BadWolf

First we get a quick online fix, then a major (19+pages worth of changes) balance patch and now a graphical upgrade, that's some very impressive and quick post launch support.

Word is that starting in December they will also be offering monthly DLC costumes.

I'm really liking what they are setting up here in terms of expectations when it comes to future games.

Holy shit. Now THAT'S a patch. Can we get a pro version too?

I got to imagine that's on the horizon.

Definitely an improvement but this is still the ugliest fighting game I have seen in recent years. The artstyle is so bad that it actually puts me off from playing the game and that's something that has hardly ever happened with me.

I think it's just wildly inconsistent. The stages look great (especially compared to SFV) and the characters that look the worst are the ones who don't have cartoony proportions. Characters like King of Dinosaurs look great.

Really hoping that we get a Pro patch (no more jaggies in everyone's hair!) and DLC costumes soon. They'd make so much money if they offered Athena and Mai's old costumes.

They'd probably recoup the cost of development if they offered Terry's MOTW costume.

Loona

Holy shit. Now THAT'S a patch. Can we get a pro version too?

I can't imagine them releasing an alternate version at least until every character has an alternative skin - so far there are some for Kyo and Geese, with China getting a classic Iori one, plus slightly more modest outfits for some of the women.

Yeah, the roster was what was drawing me to it, but I'm only really used to the FF characters (well the ones from FF3), and I usually just stick with what I know when I play KoF.
That being said, a few of the new characters, like the boxer from the demo, the girl with the toucan etc. all seem fun to play.

FF3 familiarity should help you a bit with Terry, Andy, Joe, Mai and Geese, and Hon-Fu is sort of a variation on Kim, who's also in XIV.

BadWolf

A lot of the old Fatal Fury dev team members are back at SNK and they gave a lot of love to the FF characters in XIV, they are generally very strong in this game.

The toucan girl (Zarina) is based on Bob Wilson from FF btw, really nice new character.

Pejo

Still bums me out that we got 3D instead of their amazing 2D spritework. Or even something like GGXrd - or even cell shaded.

I don't know how they thought that a niche fighting series widely acclaimed for its art would get a free pass with awful graphics. It's like if Gran Tourismo would decide to make the game only play with bumper cam.

stn

Its a very good fighter despite some of the really bad art. Now I just have to learn how to be decent at it.

Neoxon

Still bums me out that we got 3D instead of their amazing 2D spritework. Or even something like GGXrd - or even cell shaded.

I don't know how they thought that a niche fighting series widely acclaimed for its art would get a free pass with awful graphics. It's like if Gran Tourismo would decide to make the game only play with bumper cam.
I mean, it's not like making those sprites is cheap.

First we get a quick online fix, then a major (19+pages worth of changes) balance patch and now a graphical upgrade, that's some very impressive and quick post launch support.

Word is that starting in December they will also be offering monthly DLC costumes.

I'm really liking what they are setting up here in terms of expectations when it comes to future games.

Hey Guys the Game is available This Cyber Monday for 39.99 + you get the steel book special edition!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ETA9WPU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

YAY!

Top Bottom