• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom come: Deliverance |OT| Gone King Wenceslas

DavidGzz

I seen a guy post that if you over eat you become slower and you have a little pig head icon next to your health bar.

Man I can’t wait to get home from work to play this.

Lol, I was wondering what that pig icon did. I go to nourishment and it's at 116%. Hahaha!

pbrand

Neo Member
I'm usually quite on board with eurojank, especially anything that attempts a vague veneer of historical accuracy (instead of high fantasy), but $60 for a fresh studio's first game doesn't sit well in my stomach. I might end up paying the full price for it but only after gulping down more reviews/streams.

Lupingosei

Banned
I hope people will not misunderstand this game. I played for a few hours and this game is tough and reminds me of old western RPGs on the Amiga. You can do a lot, but you also have to learn a lot and this game will not take your hand and help you, which will already be a problem for a lot of outlets and gamers.

Personally I like it very much. Until now I have not found historical problems and they are very careful. In some aspects it reminds me of the name of the rose by Umberto Eco. An adventure in a historical setting. In this aspect Kingdom Come is really something special, because we did not have that many historical games in the European middle ages yet.

Sailent

Banned
I just dont get it. Hey isnt it possible these days to develop a game to the end, even if it is necessary to delay it for some weeks. 23 GB Day One Patch is bad marketing. Bad marketing for a New IP!

Hey, do you remember Witcher 3 at launch? CDPRoject would send you a leg of Jamon Iberico to your house if you could pass 40fps on low.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Just FYI, at night with a few torches and people around, anything higher than Medium - Lighting, results in a pretty killer fps tank.

DavidGzz

Lockpicking needs patched to be easier on console. You need the fine mouse controls. I hope it isn't required for any other missions. I had to kill an innocent man to get an item because I couldn't pick an "easy" lock after several reloads.

Other than that, this game is something special.

sublimit

Banned
I hope people will not misunderstand this game. I played for a few hours and this game is tough and reminds me of old western RPGs on the Amiga. You can do a lot, but you also have to learn a lot and this game will not take your hand and help you, which will already be a problem for a lot of outlets and gamers.

Personally I like it very much. Until now I have not found historical problems and they are very careful. In some aspects it reminds me of the name of the rose by Umberto Eco. An adventure in a historical setting. In this aspect Kingdom Come is really something special, because we did not have that many historical games in the European middle ages yet.
"Many"? I thought this game was the first that attempted to do something like this.

Here's a video review i just watched.
Also Lockpicking guide
Looking forward to read more impressions from GAFers.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
There are some strategy and other games about this time period already.

You're right i forgot about Western strategy games (because it's a genre that usually doesn't appeal to me) but still i don't think they match the level of historical accuracy in terms of gameplay realism,art and environments at least not in KCD's level of scale and ambition.
I think that's a first.

Last edited:
I got the Xbox One version from ShopTo.net here in the UK on Saturday and have played about 8/9 hours of the game so far. The game only installs 162 MB from the disc before downloading a 21.75 GB "Day One" patch that is essentially the full game install as the game only takes up 22 GB on my Xbox One X. There was also another 300 MB patch yesterday.

I like the game but it is very rough around the edges. The ambition on show here is great, especially the attempt at realism from the way you visibly pick things up and open/close doors (you have a physical body unlike most first-person games) to the need to sleep, eat and even bathe! Everything you do increases a stat somewhere, there's no traditional levelling up like other RPGs. Speak to people a lot and get success responses and your Speech stat improves, fight and your Strength/combat skills improve and so on. Fighting is something I've actually been avoiding - I like to talk my way out of situations if I can - although it isn't always possible. One on one fights are fine but go against two or more and it's too easy to die necessitating a reload from the last save point. I have a bow but, for me, it almost unusable due to the lack of a crosshair and the emphasis on realism (wait too long and the arrow fires, judging distances, etc). Sword fighting is better and more fun as you'd expect and the fighting system is fairly deep, allowing for blocks, different types of attacks, counters and dodging.

The framerate on the Xbox One X, which I believe runs at 1440p, is not great though, rarely holding a locked 30 fps outdoors (at least that is how it feels to me). There is very noticeable stuttering when turning and the framerate only really feels smooth indoors or in less busy areas. As soon as a few NPCs appear on screen then the game can feel noticeably choppier. It's never unplayable but if you are sensitive to framerate variation then it may annoy you. There are also some graphical glitches that I noticed such as flickering buildings and objects plus hats/hair on NPCs often pop in just a bit to close and obviously due to an aggressive LOD system. Textures are also not that fantastic for a current gen game and dialogue scenes feature stiffly animated NPCs with poor facial animations and that classic "dead eye" stare. It's better than, say, Skyrim but a long way off the standard set by The Witcher 3. Cutscenes are generally much better but there's still the odd camera glitch or other visual hiccup that can pop up from time to time. Overall, the game looks mostly good but the cracks are there to be seen if you look close enough.

As for the gameplay itself, I am enjoying it; the story and writing is good, the voice-acting mostly OK and it's fun to explore. The world feels believable and there are enough NPCs to make the world feel lived in (even if some of them can get stuck on scenery or caught in animation loops!). However, the game does take a long time to get going and it was 7 hours or so before I even got my own horse. Unlike other RPGs, money is extremely hard to come by, stealing is difficult (not helped by the fact that almost all chests are locked, requiring a clumsy mini-game and lockpicks to open) and even loitering too long in someone's house can have them rushing out to fetch a guard. Even shops have ever-watchful guards so good luck trying to take anything illegally there when the shopkeeper turns away. After hours of playing the game I only have 1.7 G to my name! Everything I stole has been taken off me because guards searched me on entering towns (how they know what is stolen, is a mystery) so everything I have is what I've gained through quests only bar food which is plentiful (just as well as you have to eat regularly).

Despite all the niggles, there's a lot to like about this game. The attention to detail is commendable, the amount of historical information that is given to you as you play via a codex is impressive (if you like that kind of thing) and the game certainly feels and plays like nothing else. On a basic level this is a first-person only Oblivion/Skyrim minus the magical/fantasy elements combined with an open-world survival game. The realism and historical setting though may annoy some people, it may even make it dull for them, but I like that the developers have attempted something different here even if the execution isn't always great. The best thing the developers could do is release a demo post-launch so that people can try it for themselves.

Unity2012

I am really enjoying the game so far. My only issue is the horse, or Henry, getting stuck on small bushes or ditches when you move around the world. They act as invisible walls. Something that will, hopefully that is, be fixed.
Other than that, it looks good and it is very, very interesting. I dont mind the learning curve either; I expected it. The menus are vast, helpful and yet, easy to learn how to navigate. There's a lot of good things to enjoy here.

Last edited:

Moses85

Hey, do you remember Witcher 3 at launch? CDPRoject would send you a leg of Jamon Iberico to your house if you could pass 40fps on low.

Only played the PS4 version but it was so bugged, I had to quit after 22 HRS.

I will revisit the Xbox One X version soon.

I may have to shelve this until a few more patches hit. I’ve encountered so many bugs. I was going to switch to the PC version but I just read on PC Gamer that a 1080 will drop into 20-25 FPS during big moments. That’s unacceptable. I still might make the switch just because I am sure modders will release their own unofficial patches quickly

For the record, I feel there is some legit greatness here. The realistic setting really appeals to me and there is depth to the world that goes beyond epic games like Skyrim and Witcher 3. This game oozes with depth and layers. I love that. It is very satisfying already after only 6 hours played.

I can forgive an overall lack of polish at launch for a game this ambitious but some of the bugs are game breaking. Have had to reload saves a few times already and I read on PC Gamer he has had to restart his whole game once during his 25 hours.

Again. I don’t want to be all doom and gloom. There’s a lot to love here, it needs some work though. Waiting for console patch certification is going to bug me so maybe PC is the best route for me

Someone posted a video of a guide for lock picking not too far back in this thread. It’s an interesting system

I watched it and broke all mt lockpicks trying to do it. Tried with controller and m/k.

Tried to make some money playing dice. Saved before playing. Lost, load save. Now i lose instantly everytime i try again.

bati

Tried to make some money playing dice. Saved before playing. Lost, load save. Now i lose instantly everytime i try again.

Try to restart the game, I've seen such anti-cheese mechanics in other games in the past and closing the application (to purge data states from memory) usually helps since the outcomes aren't embedded in the actual saves.

Played about an hour today, threw the dung at the German's house, met the guys next to that thieves house. Got into a fight with him and was a bit disappointed that my friends didn't dive in and help me out of the fight. They just stood there whilst he beat me up. Bah!

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So I'm thinking I ran into a visual glitch last night, because the difference in textures is night and day. I'm guessing it has glitched and they weren't loading properly.

Edit: Also, this is the only game I have that causes the fans on my XB1X to kick in and get pretty loud. That happening to anyone else?

Last edited:
I had to kill an innocent man to get an item

This made me literally LOL. Poor bastard.

Sounds like the game needs some more time in the oven. Another delay would have been brutal. I love me some Euro jank, but game breaking bugs are no fun.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
So I'm thinking I ran into a visual glitch last night, because the difference in textures is night and day. I'm guessing it has glitched and they weren't loading properly.

Edit: Also, this is the only game I have that causes the fans on my XB1X to kick in and get pretty loud. That happening to anyone else?

I have a guess. Some people have mentioned some things that lead me to believe that the game is poorly optimized and cause a really heavy load in processing. These are comments about frame rates tanking for various reasons. In one case, FR is fine indoors but not outdoors. More than one NPC tanks frame rate. Torches at night.. etc. that would cause your fans to kick up if your processors come under heavy load... I think. All a guess. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong, which, I could easily be.

Mahadev

I've been watching the game on twitch and its combat looks incredibly addicting. Unfortunately it still has plenty of bugs and given that I want to thoroughly enjoy this one I think I'll wait a while before purchasing.

so far, it seems to look and run like i'd expect for a large world game. i have the pc version.

these things are always a little rough compared to the corridor action games, but how the first hour two looks and runs is in line with the genre

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
I'm in love with this game at the moment. It's a little buggy, frame-rate drops often and the stuttering is a little annoying. However, the story is fantastic (so far), and it's beautiful on console. The PC version must be a treat. The only thing I regret is talking to activity people, because my quest log is filling up quickly.

Kinda wish you could hide quests in the log though. I know for a fact the one the miller gives you won't be my Henry's cup of tea, but now it's sitting there and I have the urge to complete it to simply remove the entry from the list, despite it being likely evil stuff.

Last edited:
Lockpicking is now bugged in my game. The golden sweet spot indicator is gone forever. Surprisingly i managed to open a chest. Using the controller even.
Cutscenes are running at "cinematic" 9 fps. During gameplay fps is all over the place, ranging from 20s to 100s.

So, i played through the lengthy intro and enjoyed it very much. Story, characters and dialogue are very good. Some very emotional moments. And i really like Henry.
It's very janky and buggy though. I'm not sure if i should keep playing or come back later.
And i don't know about the interface. Specially the giant notification pop ups.

DavidGzz

This made me literally LOL. Poor bastard.

Sounds like the game needs some more time in the oven. Another delay would have been brutal. I love me some Euro jank, but game breaking bugs are no fun.

Haha, yeah, I ended up reloading the game and skipping that mission and I suggest everyone else does as well until they either fix lockpicking or lighten up on everyone somehow knowing you're a criminal even though noone witnessed the deed. Townfolk weren't speaking to me and a menu came up like if I paid 250 gold I'd be forgiven? It was odd and I only have 25 gold or whatever the currency is called.

DavidGzz

Yeah, unfortunately I've started to see the textures taking too long to load in on structures and this is the first time I've heard my consoles fans too.

Any consensus been reached on best settings to run for 60FPS?

Running a R5 1600/GTX1080/16GB RAM and tried high settings at 1080p, it was no bueno. Lots of harsh dips from 60 down to the 40s/30s and mid 20s at points. Had to cap at 30 to smooth things out.
Pretty much makes my EVGA SC2 cry and runs it all the way to the temp limit when attempting 60FPS at high.

I’m guessing medium settings with high textures would be an okay compromise, but I’m curious as to what settings make the biggest difference to frames in this game while having minimal effect of the overall graphics.

Shadows/lighting/post processing are probably the main culprits.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Holy shit, I just lost close to two hours of progress. I was doing a hunting quest, and at one point I had to follow this fuck and he gets stuck on a rock and won't move no matter how long I wait. Last save I had was insanely far back. I don't know if I'm going to bother going back to this.

Lockpicking is now bugged in my game. The golden sweet spot indicator is gone forever. Surprisingly i managed to open a chest. Using the controller even.
Cutscenes are running at "cinematic" 9 fps. During gameplay fps is all over the place, ranging from 20s to 100s.

So, i played through the lengthy intro and enjoyed it very much. Story, characters and dialogue are very good. Some very emotional moments. And i really like Henry.
It's very janky and buggy though. I'm not sure if i should keep playing or come back later.
And i don't know about the interface. Specially the giant notification pop ups.

I’ve heard of a few people having perma lockpick bugs and having to start a new game

Ah, great. I'm a save scummer when it comes to these games. I'd like to create my story without having opposite story effects.

This might not be for you, then.

Devs have been pretty clear that this is designed to be an exclusive journey each play through. The way the world reacts to you and your decisions is unique and you gotta embrace it all as part of your journey for that play through.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
mLq6ugk.png

Just as i thought - it's a mess on launch and 1080 can't handle the game with constant 60 (not to mention shitty always online DRM). What a surprise. Next year at best it'll be playeble so there's no reason to buy the game now, well... unless of course you want to torture yourself and your hardware.

Last edited:
Game runs great on the Xbox 1 X and is a lot of fun. It definitely has more of an old school crpg feel in the vein of the older Elder Scrolls games like Morrowind. It feels like a real rpg rather than just having 'rpg elements'.

Edit: And I'm loving the story so far.

Last edited:
Game runs great on the Xbox 1 X and is a lot of fun. It definitely has more of an old school crpg feel in the vein of the older Elder Scrolls games like Morrowind. It feels like a real rpg rather than just having 'rpg elements'.

Edit: And I'm loving the story so far.

What is your definition of “runs great?”

By all accounts this game is poorly optimized on console and PC currently

16 hours in and I can heap plenty of praise on this game for a number of reasons but performance and graphics aren’t two of them.

Last edited:

Dargor

Having a lot of fun with this game, it needs a little help on the bugs department but for me its being manageable so far.

More importantly, time flies while playing. Its one of those games where you keep doing the "just one more" routine lol.

About performance, I'm playing on pc with a 1080ti, 4k almost all the time at 60fps. I've put everything on medium except particules, shadows and textures which I left on low. Turned off motion blur because I don't like this effect.

I really think there is something wrong with these options though, the differences between high and ultra high I couldn't actually see. Medium and low I see there is loss in image quality, textures etc, but the game still looks good and all, so I left it at that, simply because the hit on fps while using high and above are unacceptable. Using high, my fps hovers from 30 to 50 somethings, without looking that much better to justify it imho.

Now, I have to say this is just my experience with the game, so YMMV.

Top Bottom