• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Royal Edition is $9.99 on xbox

I picked it up and have been playing it a little. The loading times are good on Series S, I don’t mind the frame rate because it’s steady. I haven’t run into any real bugs or crashes or anything.

The combat is weird but so far hasn’t been a problem. It doesn’t feel like you’re controlling a character in this world, it feels like you’re clumsily controlling a marionette.

My biggest problem with the game is lock picking. I can’t pick locks period and I’m stuck in the story because of it. There’s a guy who shows you how to do it and I failed so many times that apparently the game didn’t take into account that this would be possible and now I’m stuck.

How the fuck do you pick locks? I keep one stick on the golden “sweet” spot, and slowly turn both sticks, keeping it in golden spot as close as I can.

Each time it fails. I get about half way with the turn and even if I’m on the golden spot, it fails.

I’ve reread the instructions multiple times, I just can’t do it for some reason. Anyone else having this problem?

Of course I’m out of the sweet mead or whatever stupid fucking drink you need to save at anytime so each retry I have to replay about 20 minutes of bullshit.

It sucks because I legitimately like the game so far but I’m about to give up on it.
Turn on simplified lock picking in the options menu

Practice on the chest behind the starting area once the prologue ends until it’s permanently unlocked meaning you maxed out your attempts.

Keep lock picking ever lock you see that’s very easy then easy to raise your lock picking. If you have trouble with getting caught I can give you some feedback but obviously changing out of your armor into clothing helps.

Eventually you’ll get some perks that make lock picking easy as hell. Deft grip and luck of the drunk make it ridiculously easy for me to pick very hard locks, so I’d save my perks for that. Just drink a beer before you start lock picking.

The bath houses right near your starting area have a lot of locked chests and a few doors to practice on. I think they eventually relock too and it’s pretty easy to do it without getting noticed.

I wouldn’t worry about combat until you get to train with Bernard. Honestly combat is insanely difficult until you’ve spent some time training.

You’ll get to the training part with Bernard by just following the main story.

Edit: now that I think about it you’re probably further in the story than me as I haven’t been required to lock pick anything quest wise.

Last edited:
I picked it up and have been playing it a little. The loading times are good on Series S, I don’t mind the frame rate because it’s steady. I haven’t run into any real bugs or crashes or anything.

The combat is weird but so far hasn’t been a problem. It doesn’t feel like you’re controlling a character in this world, it feels like you’re clumsily controlling a marionette.

My biggest problem with the game is lock picking. I can’t pick locks period and I’m stuck in the story because of it. There’s a guy who shows you how to do it and I failed so many times that apparently the game didn’t take into account that this would be possible and now I’m stuck.

How the fuck do you pick locks? I keep one stick on the golden “sweet” spot, and slowly turn both sticks, keeping it in golden spot as close as I can.

Each time it fails. I get about half way with the turn and even if I’m on the golden spot, it fails.

I’ve reread the instructions multiple times, I just can’t do it for some reason. Anyone else having this problem?

Of course I’m out of the sweet mead or whatever stupid fucking drink you need to save at anytime so each retry I have to replay about 20 minutes of bullshit.

It sucks because I legitimately like the game so far but I’m about to give up on it.
Yeah that sounds like where I rage quit on my 1st try. Assuming you are doing the quest for the miller. The drink you want is saviour schnapps and you can make it up in Rattay. Much cheaper than buying it. There is an alchemy bench right behind the apothecary shop. You can buy the belladonna in the shop and the nettle grows right outside the door to the bench room. Hell it grows all over Rattay so you should never run out of the stuff. Just buy the belladonna every day and every time you find a herbalist out in the wild and brew the stuff regularly. The recipe is in the book on the bench iirc but you probably cant read yet. Recipe in spoiler tags in case you want to do things the hard way and either learn to read or work it out by looking at the jumbled letters version before you learn.

• Pour wine into the cauldron. (wine comes with the bench no need to buy it)
  • Add the nettle.
  • Boil the wine twice (use the bellows twice; start fire twice).
  • Place two Belladonnas in the mortar and mash them.
  • Then transfer the belladonnas to the cauldron.
  • Boil the wine.
  • Take a vial and pour the decoction into it

Soon you will have all the saves you will ever need.

As for lock picking put it in simple mode and try what I did. Place the controller flat and rotate the stick held with thumb and index finger while pressing the button. That should help a lot.

Edit: now that I think about it you’re probably further in the story than me as I haven’t been required to lock pick anything quest wise.
I think he is just doing the quest for the miller that you can get as soon as you get to Rattay. It sure makes it feel like you will be needing lock picking to get anywhere in the game but even though it is extremely useful you can get by without it on most quests. Maybe not for the millers. Not sure. But there are usually multiple ways of getting shit done.

Yeah that sounds like where I rage quit on my 1st try. Assuming you are doing the quest for the miller. The drink you want is saviour schnapps and you can make it up in Rattay. Much cheaper than buying it. There is an alchemy bench right behind the apothecary shop. You can buy the belladonna in the shop and the nettle grows right outside the door to the bench room. Hell it grows all over Rattay so you should never run out of the stuff. Just buy the belladonna every day and every time you find a herbalist out in the wild and brew the stuff regularly. The recipe is in the book on the bench iirc but you probably cant read yet. Recipe in spoiler tags in case you want to do things the hard way and either learn to read or work it out by looking at the jumbled letters version before you learn.

• Add the nettle.
  • Boil the wine.

As for lock picking put it in simple mode and try what I did. Place the controller flat and rotate the stick held with thumb and index finger while pressing the button. That should help a lot.
There is some belladona that grows near the big tree you get your dog at near your miller bed, sorta near the tanner

There is only like 5 plants but they respawn pretty quickly

And yeah nettle is everywhere, probably the most common herb

Seems like it grows against most buildings and roads and everywhere in between

I think he is just doing the quest for the miller that you can get as soon as you get to Rattay. It sure makes it feel like you will be needing lock picking to get anywhere in the game but even though it is extremely useful you can get by without it on most quests. Maybe not for the millers. Not sure. But there are usually multiple ways of getting shit done.
Yeah I use lock picking a lot. It’s extremely useful in this game, especially on hardcore when everything is so damn expensive and your stuff sells for cheap

Exoil

Was debating getting this, now that it's 9.99, but reading this holds me back. Definitely the atmosphere looks amazing and I love anything medieval times. Reading others posts has me bi-polar to buy or hold 😂
Don't listen to them, buy the game and form your own opinion! I for one think the combat system is one of the best I ever encountered in a FP game! At the start you feel like you have no idea what you're doing and then you get better and better at it by practicing. Go to Captain Bernard in Rattay and really feel the difference it makes when you've practiced for a while!

One of the greatest gems of last gen

Emedan

My absolute favourite game since it came out in 2018, I double dipped and bought it on the Series X - been playing for hundreds of hours on the PC previously. Can't recommend it enough.

Screw the next gen patch, I want the second game. It's been 4 years...

Concern

no fast travel is really starting to kick my ass. I love it still, but I can't even wrap my head around how long this game is going to take to complete given my pace. I'm putting off pushing the main story forward as there is so much to do, but without fast travel and not knowing where I am on the map, completing the simplest fetch quests turns into a 4-5 hour process where I often get sidetracked.

Something as simple as traveling from Rattay to Talmberg to steal a few items resulted in me stumbling upon some pretty awesome giant inn in the middle of nowhere (I believe it's called Inn in the Glade), bought a room there, spent the night chilling and hanging out, spent the following day picking herbs in the giant fields surrounding it and organizing my stash, spent the next day stealing everything from the inn's basement and working on some minor side quests at the inn, then eventually decided to steal a horse from the inn and ride to Talmberg.

so my trip to Talmberg ended up taking me like 8 hours in total. if I had fast travel that would be literally 8 hours I wouldn't have spent doing that stuff.

Yea i stuck to normal. I don't have much time to play so that would put me off. And to top it off my girlfriend doesn't want me to play without her there lol. She loves watching this game 🤣🤣

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I have the original disc. So I might get this digitally so I don't have to keep swapping discs. plus the DLC normally costs way more than the $9.99.

How long is this on sale for?

Emedan

I have the original disc. So I might get this digitally so I don't have to keep swapping discs. plus the DLC normally costs way more than the $9.99.

How long is this on sale for?
Think it was part of the Deep Silver and Friends sale, unfortunately that ended yesterday I believe

• Add the nettle.
  • Boil the wine.

Practice on the chest behind the starting area once the prologue ends until it’s permanently unlocked meaning you maxed out your attempts.

Keep lock picking ever lock you see that’s very easy then easy to raise your lock picking. If you have trouble with getting caught I can give you some feedback but obviously changing out of your armor into clothing helps.

Eventually you’ll get some perks that make lock picking easy as hell. Deft grip and luck of the drunk make it ridiculously easy for me to pick very hard locks, so I’d save my perks for that. Just drink a beer before you start lock picking.

The bath houses right near your starting area have a lot of locked chests and a few doors to practice on. I think they eventually relock too and it’s pretty easy to do it without getting noticed.

I wouldn’t worry about combat until you get to train with Bernard. Honestly combat is insanely difficult until you’ve spent some time training.

You’ll get to the training part with Bernard by just following the main story.

Hell yeah, thank you both. The simplified lock picking helps out a lot. I had no idea that was an option and the recipe for the savior schnapps helps a lot. Finally I can move forward!

What a tip, thank you. I would never figure that out.

I'm still bruteforcing the demo, exploring the branches and restarting. Got the lockpicks yesterday but couldn't lockpick anything, even seeing videos on youtube.

The system is not meant for joysticks it seems.

Denton

no fast travel is really starting to kick my ass. I love it still, but I can't even wrap my head around how long this game is going to take to complete given my pace.
My first and hardcore playthrough took me exactly 200 hours (doing everything there is to do) according to Steam. Which I found fine, I had two weeks off and spent most free time in Bohemia.

There are some very, very fast horses you can get, and once you learn the map, travelling goes by fast.

Regarding lockpicking...yeah it is hard on gamepad. Really hard, first few levels. I admit I switched to mouse whenever I wanted to lockpick something. After I leveled up a bit, it became perfectly doable with gamepad. But first few levels are excercise in patience..on gamepad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom