• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD ReMIX Announced for PS3, coming 2014 [up: Trailer]

Mzo

So what order do i play these in story wise? And is kingdom hearts re:coded just different story version of KH1 on the ps2?
Story-wise?

BBS, KH1, 358/2 Days/COM, KH2, Coded, DDD

358/2 starts before COM, runs concurrently with it, and ends a bit after COM ends.

Just play them in release date order and you're fine. Just because a game is a prequel doesn't mean it isn't set up to reveal information that's been set up in the previous release.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Didn't you get the note? All PS4 multiplats will have their balls cut off to keep MS happy.

I wonder if there is any chance for us to get the uncencored KH2 with the collection.

In the case of SE I do hope they don't force parity. You never know though.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
I don't think it was really MS moneyhats more so than it was SE's CEO just... wanting it. IDK, it probably won't sell much on that system anyway as most of the fanbase will be on PS4 so why does it matter?

You are right, it is a higher up decision but CEOs change. Wada was the reason FF XIII got ported in the first place.

Siliconera said:
"The Xbox team has been asking us to have a [Final Fantasy] game developed on our platform,” Yoichi Wada, President and CEO of Square Enix, said in an interview with Siliconera. “Also, the Xbox 360 console is available in many homes in US and European markets so that was not really a hard decision to make.”

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/03/1...xiii-got-on-the-xbox-360/#YpROB82j5PAgE1D6.99

ff13xbox360.jpg

Let's be honest, that looks more like an agreement than a simple logistics desision. Even at this point, the 360 had a clear advantage to offer an alibi for the port. Xbox one does not. FF has had a brief history on the Xbox so FF XV makes some sense. KH ? Echoenigma above was right AAA games are way too big an expense to pass around without certain profit. Gamers are not the only ones buying.

a-hole mode still on: both collections, 2 & a half games for about 35 bucks. nintendo's HD remasters: 1 game for full retail price

I'm thinking it won't be long before we get Nomura interviews about this, so he'll get asked about Dream Drop Distance very soon, I'd wager.

The reason its cutscenes are not in this is certainly to extend sales of the 3DS version, but I'll be curious to see if he alludes to the existence of any future plans for it.

Also curious to see if he gets asked about the BBSFM network functionality at the Mirage Arena.

Didn't you get the note? All PS4 multiplats will have their balls cut off to keep MS happy.

I wonder if there is any chance for us to get the uncencored KH2 with the collection.
Uncensored? Referring to the guns in the Pirates of the Caribbean world and the Xigbar battle?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
You are right, it is a higher up decision but CEOs change. Wada was the reason FF XIII got ported in the first place.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/03/1...xiii-got-on-the-xbox-360/#YpROB82j5PAgE1D6.99

Let's be honest, that looks more like an agreement than a simple logistics desision. Even at this point, the 360 had a clear advantage to offer an alibi for the port. Xbox one does not.

a-hole mode still on: both collections, 2 & a half games for about 35 bucks. nintendo's HD remasters: 1 game for full retail price

Nah, MS definitely gave them money for that one - to the tune of 17m which covered things like marketing as well from what I've been told.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So what order do i play these in story wise? And is kingdom hearts re:coded just different story version of KH1 on the ps2?

Re:Coded is a DS remake of a cell phone game called Coded. The Re:Coded included on this disc is just the cutscenes from Re:Coded, not the full game.

kitzkozan

Buying Day 1.

Everyone that has yet to play BBS is in for a treat.

I'd love to play it since I actually have a Vita which can play PSP games, but you know SE lol...

It's lame that I have a console which can play PSP games and yet will have to buy this HD remaster to finally get that chance. The only good part being that it's the superior remix version.

Is the consensus on Kingdom Heart 2 is that it's a better game from a mechanic and gameplay point of view while being worse in the story department?

And Daisy hitting Donald+Axel on fire. And Hydra blood.
I'd forgotten about the Hydra blood thing and never even knew about the others. Interesting.

Something I noticed recently, also: Re: Chain of Memories is one of the few things Disney has approved where Mickey's ears don't slide around his head to always be fully circular (facing the viewer regardless of angle) and always provide the same silhouette to the viewer. I'm pretty sure BBS, DDD, and KH2 all get those things 'right' by Disney's standards.

Prologue

It's a relatively new release on a current-gen platform that should be around until KHIII is released. If people want to play it, it's readily available. And porting it to home consoles would be a big job considering the fact that it uses a lot of 3DS's unique features heavily.

Not to say they won't ever do it, but to expect it to be part of a collection that already has KHII FM and BBS FM is kind of silly. I personally doubt it, but we'll see.

Surprised that they didn't include at least a movie version of DDD. I have a feeling we will see a complete edition on Xbox one and PS4 in the near future. Seems weird for square to release a game like KH3 on X1 without any past games.

DigitalDevilSummoner

Nah, MS definitely gave them money for that one - to the tune of 17m which covered things like marketing as well from what I've been told.

I am not doubting that, MS has a pretty obvious history with money hatting, that's half my argument. But there is a reason I added Wada's quote: “Also, the Xbox 360 console is available in many homes in US and European markets so that was not really a hard decision to make.”

At that point, 2008, it made perfect sense to take MS's money. But at E3 2013, why did they announce the KH port SO early ? If "financial necessity" does not translate into a MS check, considering the one sided sales of FF XIII on a lagging console, Square could have just waited for a date close the release date of KH 3 to announce the port. If a MS check was NOT pushing them it would only be logical to at least wait for FF XV and see how that goes.

I am not buying that Square is handing out AAA games out of good faith.

I am not doubting that, MS has a pretty obvious history with money hatting, that's half my argument. But there is a reason I added Wada's quote: “Also, the Xbox 360 console is available in many homes in US and European markets so that was not really a hard decision to make.”

At that point, 2008, it made perfect sense to take MS's money. But at E3 2013, why did they announce the KH port SO early ? If "financial necessity" does not translate into a MS check, considering the one sided sales of FF XIII on a lagging console, Square could have just waited for a date close the release date of KH 3 to announce the port. If a MS check was NOT pushing them it would only be logical to at least wait for FF XV and see how that goes.

I am not buying that Square is handing out AAA games out of good faith.
The PS4 getting a third-party game as an exclusive isn't the default option. Multiplatform games from third parties are the new normal, especially with the similarity between PS4 and XBO architectures and the relative ease of modern engine tech. KH3 is going to the Xbox One because that's the normal thing for a third-party game to do. If the Xbone bombs insanely hard, then Squeenix can always change their minds, but developing games for both consoles is easier than it's ever been due to the similarity of the architectures and the relative closeness to x86 PC architectures. There's little to no incentive to make a third party exclusive unless you're being paid for it.

aravuus

PS Blog already confirmed 2014 for NA. Europe is the one to worry about. :S

Come on dude, no region-locking. Importing is easy. In some cases, cheaper too.

I'm still salty over no SMT IV and 3DS region-lock.

Little Mermaid level can be skipped in both KH1 and KH2.

Wtf are you serious

I finished the world every single fucking time I played the game

and that's a lot of diving around

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The PS4 getting a third-party game as an exclusive isn't the default option. Multiplatform games from third parties are the new normal, especially with the similarity between PS4 and XBO architectures and the relative ease of modern engine tech. KH3 is going to the Xbox One because that's the normal thing for a third-party game to do. If the Xbone bombs insanely hard, then Squeenix can always change their minds, but developing games for both consoles is easier than it's ever been due to the similarity of the architectures and the relative closeness to x86 PC architectures. There's little to no incentive to make a third party exclusive unless you're being paid for it.

Pretty much. I could see them pulling a Last Remnant if things don't pan out how they want.

DigitalDevilSummoner

similarity of the architectures

yeah that's a well know story but you are kinda ignoring my arguments

they made an announcement about a game not even in development, that's at least 3 or 4 or more years into the future, they are not even waiting to see how the enormous production of FF XV goes

it just makes absolutely zero sense to make such a commitment unless a paycheck is compelling you to.

Hope we see a Kingdom Hearts HD Collection: Collection on PS4.

I want to finally play KH2 but by the time this comes out I will be deep into next gen.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Hope we see a Kingdom Hearts HD Collection: Collection on PS4.

I want to finally play KH2 but by the time this comes out I will be deep into next gen.

Sounds like you're artificially limiting yourself. Persona 4, one of the best PS2 games, didn't even come out until around 3 years after the 360 launched lol, much less Devil Summoner 2.

Pretty much. I could see them pulling a Last Remnant if things don't pan out how they want.
I should have clarified, though, that even though the Xbox One looks like it's in trouble, its preorder numbers (and those of the PS4 even moreso) are through the roof. I think the Xbox One won't be the majority console in any country worldwide and will get trounced outside of the US, but I still believe that it won't be an absolute *bomb*.

On the other hand, Kagari, your example of The Last Remnant applies pretty well to those standards regardless (since the PS3 also had a good-enough install base even though it wasn't catching fire). However, I think the issues with UE3 and the PS3 go a long way in explaining why it probably wasn't a hard decision not to bring The Last Remnant over to it.

I'm expecting SE to quietly cancel XBone editions of FF XV and KH 3 if the XBone does bomb, or if the PS4 massively outsells it.

Both games are gonna be seen as "Playstation games" anyway, especially with how they're being marketed, and the ports just wont make sense in that scenario. The FF XIII port did make sense because the 360 was as popular as it was, especially in the US.

I think people expecting multiplatform as the norm next gen might be in for a rude awakening depending on how things pan out, even with the increased ease of multiplatform development.

yeah that's a well know story but you are kinda ignoring my arguments

they made an announcement about a game not even in development, that's at least 3 or 4 or more years into the future, they are not even waiting to see how the enormous production of FF XV goes

it just makes absolutely zero sense to make such a commitment unless a paycheck is compelling you to.
It was announced at the Sony conference, no? If anything, it was Sony paying them to show that these years-away games are definitely going to be around in the next generation.

Multiplatform is the default option. Fact. And if the early announcement is unusual (and I agree that it is - the game is clearly pre-alpha and I doubt they even have a full vertical slice up and running), signs point to Sony, if anything.

You're still operating from the assumption that it's unusual for a game to be multi platform, when in fact that is the norm.

Didn't Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix keep the censorship of the localized version as well? If so, I fear we'll end up with the censored version on all regions...

Asd202

Yeah KH3 for Xbone is weird much more so than FF XV. I mean there was no KH game on Xbox platform ever and what's more strange this HD remix collections are PS3 exclusive. Why aren't they making 360 version if there going to put KH3 on Xbone? Seems stupid really.

MechaZain

Banned
I expect a DDD: Final Mix in 2015. If KH3 is 2016 they'll want to keep the hype rolling and it wouldn't make sense to skip a year if these are selling well. We may even seen a Kingdom Hearts Collection set that compiles all of them.

Knowing Square I'm wrong and they'll just complicate things with another spinoff.

Yeah KH3 for Xbone is weird much more so than FF XV. I mean there was no KH game on Xbox platform ever and what's more strange this HD remix collections are PS3 exclusive. Why aren't they making 360 version if there going to put KH3 on Xbone? Seems stupid really.

There isn't a 360 version of this or FFX because they wouldn't sell much. Same for Wii U.

Xbone is an easy port and it'll get them an additional 10-25% more profit, I'm guessing. The cost of making an Xbone version if they're developing a PS4 version is very low. The downside is pretty much minimal; it's the upside that's debatable, but it's surely worthwhile even if it's only going to result in 10-20% more revenue (assuming the PS4 crushes the Xbone).

Exclusives tend to get more attention from their respective console's user base.

If SE expects to benefit more from that added attention and exposure than the sales of an XBone edition minus added development costs required to make it, then there'd be little reason for them to carry on with the multiplatform release.

I think people who are expecting next gen to be the same as this gen are making the same mistake that many of us made this gen when we expected things to be the same as last gen.

I expect a DDD: Final Mix in 2015. If KH3 is 2016 they'll want to keep the hype rolling and it wouldn't make sense to skip a year if these are selling well. We may even seen a Kingdom Hearts Collection set that compiles all of them.

Knowing Square I'm wrong and they'll just complicate things with another spinoff.

Curious. Yeah, if Final Mix is uncensored, I expect that we'll get the uncensored stuff here in the US too unless Disney really raises a fuss about it. The point of these remixes is a relatively easy cash-in; having to port/develop/QA two different versions of the software (beyond mere localization) would add costs that Square-Enix likely isn't interested in paying.

If we get the uncensored stuff, it's because it'd cost MORE money to take it out.

oni_saru

Yesssss~~~ Now my sis can play the best KH game! She doesn't like handhelds so she hasn't played BbS. No excuses now!

btw 1.5 doesn't have dual audio right?

Xbone is an easy port and it'll get them an additional 10-25% more profit, I'm guessing. The cost of making an Xbone version if they're developing a PS4 version is very low. The downside is pretty much minimal; it's the upside that's debatable, but it's surely worthwhile even if it's only going to result in 10-20% more revenue (assuming the PS4 crushes the Xbone).

This isn't true. Even if the two systems are similar, there will still be an investment required to port it and at this point we have no idea if that investment will be worth it.

This gen it was, because even though SE's games sell much better on Sony systems the 360 was popular enough that the port was worth it. If next gen plays out how many expect it to (i.e. the PS4 is more popular across all regions), the XBone edition just might not make sense, and with these games being 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th year games, the console environment will be much more stable and clear than it is now.

Exclusives tend to get more attention from their respective console's user base.

If SE expects to benefit more from that added attention and exposure than the sales of an XBone edition minus added development costs required to make it, then there'd be little reason for them to carry on with the multiplatform release.

Sure. But that'll only happen if the Xbone isn't just outsold by the PS4, but actually bombs, hard (like, units left on store shelves everywhere). Remember, the added development costs will be very, very low. What's *most* different about this generation compared to previous ones is that developing for both consoles costs very little more than developing for one of them because they're more similar (architecturally, if not power-wise) than two consoles have ever been and because they're probably both easier to develop for than any consoles have ever been.

For the EXTREMELY MINIMAL added development costs of an Xbone version to outstrip the added money it'd bring in, the Xbox One would have to crater much harder than most folks are expecting it to.

DigitalDevilSummoner

On the other hand, Kagari, your example of The Last Remnant applies pretty well to those standards regardless (since the PS3 also had a good-enough install base even though it wasn't catching fire). However, I think the issues with UE3 and the PS3 go a long way in explaining why it probably wasn't a hard decision not to bring The Last Remnant over to it.

Oh come on now. The last remnant is the worse possible analogy: for starters it's nowhere near being a huge & risky AAA production expected to sell millions and secondly it was not "canceled" on the PS3 because the PS3 bombed, it was just not favoured by gamers in the first place.

It was announced at the Sony conference, no? If anything, it was Sony paying them to show that these years-away games are definitely going to be around in the next generation.

Multiplatform is the default option. Fact. And if the early announcement is unusual (and I agree that it is - the game is clearly pre-alpha and I doubt they even have a full vertical slice up and running), signs point to Sony, if anything.

You're still operating from the assumption that it's unusual for a game to be multi platform, when in fact that is the norm.

Not a fact: so far we have seen very little "movement" from Japanese studios and we are assuming stuff based on western games. That's a fact.

Being announced at the Sony conference means nothing. If anything Square was compelled to appear at Sony because of their promises: to reveal the transformation of Versus into XV.

Multiplat is not the norm when you have no guaranteed audience on a console and you are risking your game's appeal. I am not a Sony fanboy but fact is that this is a game with a certain japanese appeal and has been traditionally found on the PS. We are not talking about FPS games here. If Square had the tiniest belief in KH 3 performing decently on the Xbox one they would have prepared the way with porting the collections, mind you this is the end of the gen, they have pretty good knowledge concerning porting and developing onto the 360.

It is not the norm to make a 4 year commitment (whenever the hell it's coming out) especially with another huge title in the way. it is not logical

Asd202

There isn't a 360 version of this or FFX because they wouldn't sell much. Same for Wii U.

Then why there's Xbone version of KH3? If collections would sell bad on 360 so will KH3 on Xbone. Makes zero sense from business standpoint to not release these HD collection to Xbox fans to intruduce them to KH franchise. Unless they did the math and said fuck it and KH3 is on Xbone just to spite Sony for not giving them money for exclusive.

Somehow it's hard for me to belive that 360 version of HD collections would cost more than KH3 for Xbone.Also wouldn't porting for 360 these collection be cheaper and easier than for PS3? Considering the architecture of both consoles.

Censorship? What was censored?

In western versions:

Xigbar doesn't combine his guns into a sniper rifle. His scope view has a less realistic crosshair.

Hydra doesn't bleed.

Daisy isn't shown hitting Donald

Guns in Port Royal are replaced with crossbows

Will Turner doesn't aim at his own head when negotiating with Barbossa

Axel doesn't burn when he does his kamikaze attack.

Guys.

Collections go to the PS3 more often because Sony has actually created incredibly useful toolchains for porting PS2 and PSP games to PS3. It's easy and cheap. That's all.

I am not a Sony fanboy but fact is that this is a game with a certain japanese appeal and has been traditionally found on the PS. We are not talking about FPS games here. If Square had the tiniest belief in KH 3 performing decently on the Xbox one they would have prepared the way with porting the collections, mind you this is the end of the gen, they have pretty good knowledge concerning porting and developing onto the 360.
lolwat

As if it's consistent with Japanese "honor" to stay with a Japanese developed console? Pfft.

Top Bottom