• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD ReMIX Announced for PS3, coming 2014 [up: Trailer]

Asd202

Guys.

Collections go to the PS3 more often because Sony has actually created incredibly useful toolchains for porting PS2 and PSP games to PS3. It's easy and cheap. That's all.

Ok then it makes some sense. Still I find the lack of 360 version strange with KH3 coming to Xbone but whatever SE gonna SE :p.

Then why there's Xbone version of KH3? If collections would sell bad on 360 so will KH3 on Xbone. Makes zero sense from business standpoint to not release these HD collection to Xbox fans to intruduce them to KH franchise. Unless they did the math and said fuck it and KH3 is on Xbone just to spite Sony for not giving them money for exclusive.

We don't know how next gen will pan out, so putting it on both systems is safer. Even if ps4 utterly dominates the xbone in sales, that doesn't mean the ps4 itself will sell much. If the Wii U were capable of running the games, I'm pretty sure they would put XV and KH3 there as well.

This gen is already established. It's quite clear which console will have the most users who would buy a KH HD collection. Just look at the FFXIII sales split. And that was three years ago. It would be even more lopsided if it released today.

In western versions:

Xigbar doesn't combine his guns into a sniper rifle. His scope view has a less realistic crosshair.

Hydra doesn't bleed.

Daisy isn't shown hitting Donald

Guns in Port Royal are replaced with crossbows

Will Turner doesn't aim at his own head when negotiating with Barbossa

Axel doesn't burn when he does his kamikaze attack.

Also Braig in US BBS also had his crosshairs changed

BBSFM it was changed back into sniper.

Looks like Aqua has her original design back too (darker hair, exposed backside)

Multiplat is not the norm when you have no guaranteed audience on a console and you are risking your game's appeal. I am not a Sony fanboy but fact is that this is a game with a certain japanese appeal and has been traditionally found on the PS. We are not talking about FPS games here. If Square had the tiniest belief in KH 3 performing decently on the Xbox one they would have prepared the way with porting the collections, mind you this is the end of the gen, they have pretty good knowledge concerning porting and developing onto the 360.

Going multi platform doesn't risk your game's appeal. Exclusive games tend to sell well on a particular platform because they tend to get additional marketing dollars from the platform holder.

Seriously, the only people who lose interest in a game because it went multi platform are internet dweebs like us. It doesn't have a meaningful negative impact on sales. Square-Enix shouldn't worry about making games multiplatform just because a bunch of nerds will rage out on a message board about it, make posts about Japanese Honor, and claim that they'll refuse to purchase. Those people don't matter.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
For the EXTREMELY MINIMAL added development costs of an Xbone version to outstrip the added money it'd bring in, the Xbox One would have to crater much harder than most folks are expecting it to.

No offense -and I really mean that- but you are oversimplifying the process of producing another port of the game based on facts out of your ass. yes the costs will be lower compared to this get but let's not get ahead of ourselves. consoles are still all about customization and that costs.

Then why there's Xbone version of KH3?

Exactly.

lolwat

As if it's consistent with Japanese "honor" to stay with a Japanese developed console? Pfft.

Jezus dude I am not talking about honor. Did you just miss a whole generation of certain core Japanese games underperforming on the Xbox ?

Also Braig in US BBS also had his crosshairs changed

BBSFM it was changed back into sniper.

Looks like Aqua has her original design back too (darker hair, exposed backside)

Xigbar had his sniper rifle+normal crosshair in DDD tho so it's not like they seem to be too consistent.

Aqua was changed in all versions. The original design was totally scrapped due to Disney.

I think any cencoring on the guns in KH2 is ridicilous since Clayton has a modern hunting shotgun in KH1 and nobody gave a shit about that but they made changes to flintlocks and toy snipers. pfft

Asd202

We don't know how next gen will pan out, so putting it on both systems is safer. Even if ps4 utterly dominates the xbone in sales, that doesn't mean the ps4 itself will sell much. If the Wii U were capable of running the games, I'm pretty sure they would put XV and KH3 there as well.

This gen is already established. It's quite clear which console will have the most users who would buy a KH HD collection. Just look at the FFXIII sales split. And that was three years ago. It would be even more lopsided if it released today.

So hypothetically speaking, what if Xbone has much better sales than PS4? By making these collection on 360 also they could cover all bases but they don't do that because there shortsighted and don't think in long term IMO.

SkylineRKR

Then why there's Xbone version of KH3? If collections would sell bad on 360 so will KH3 on Xbone. Makes zero sense from business standpoint to not release these HD collection to Xbox fans to intruduce them to KH franchise. Unless they did the math and said fuck it and KH3 is on Xbone just to spite Sony for not giving them money for exclusive.

Somehow it's hard for me to belive that 360 version of HD collections would cost more than KH3 for Xbone.Also wouldn't porting for 360 these collection be cheaper and easier than for PS3? Considering the architecture of both consoles.

KH3 is a new game thats probably being released within the first few years of the new gen, so it would make more sense to bring it Xbox One also. I figure KH3 is a very expensive project for Square, so they do want the biggest audience possible.

I doubt there is much demand for KH HD on 360 anyway. You can already cross Japan off the list and thats where the release has been most succesful.

Most collections are multiplatform.

Yes, but Sony gets more exclusive collections (especially high-quality ones, as opposed to Prince of Persia/Silent Hill/etc) than Microsoft does. Ergo, collections go to the PS3 more often. That's different from being PS3 *exclusive* more often than not, which I know isn't true.

Sure. But that'll only happen if the Xbone isn't just outsold by the PS4, but actually bombs, hard (like, units left on store shelves everywhere). Remember, the added development costs will be very, very low. What's *most* different about this generation compared to previous ones is that developing for both consoles costs very little more than developing for one of them because they're more similar (architecturally, if not power-wise) than two consoles have ever been and because they're probably both easier to develop for than any consoles have ever been.

For the EXTREMELY MINIMAL added development costs of an Xbone version to outstrip the added money it'd bring in, the Xbox One would have to crater much harder than most folks are expecting it to.

The development costs of an XBone version aren't "EXTREMELY MINIMAL." What evidence do you have to suggest that? They'll be lower than this gen, and probably every other gen, but you're making a huge assumption by thinking it'll be as simple as hitting a few buttons or something. It'll still be a substantial task and require a dedicated engineering team, especially if they want to ensure parity (which I'm sure they will after the FF XIII fiasco).

And again, at this point we don't know if those added development costs will outweigh the increased exposure an exclusive will earn, especially an exclusive that has traditionally gone over very well with the Sony crowd and not very well with the Xbox crowd.

DigitalDevilSummoner

KH3 is a new game thats probably being released within the first few years of the new gen, so it would make more sense to bring it Xbox One also. I figure KH3 is a very expensive project for Square, so they do want the biggest audience possible.

I doubt there is much demand for KH HD on 360 anyway. You can already cross Japan off the list and thats where the release has been most succesful.

A big post of wat ?!

Let's stop over simplifying everything. "a few years" is first of all wrong, that's hopefully XV and a few years in a console gen's time is a vast period. such a commitment with such little guarantees (just sales, no paychecks) has no logical merit.

Yes, but Sony gets more exclusive collections (especially high-quality ones, as opposed to Prince of Persia/Silent Hill/etc) than Microsoft does. Ergo, collections go to the PS3 more often. That's different from being PS3 *exclusive* more often than not, which I know isn't true.

Not really, for the most part they got collections they actually own like Ico and GOW.

So hypothetically speaking, what if Xbone has much better sales than PS4? By making these collection on also 360 also they could cover all bases but they don't do that because there shortsighted and don't think in long term IMO.

Putting it on ps3 has nothing to do with ps4 or xbone. It's simply the console that will generate the most amount of revenue for this game in 2014. If xbone dominates, then that would only justify the decision to put KH3 on xbone.

Keep in mind, KH HD is not going to sell 5 million like FFXV or KH3. It will do 1 million tops. So even if you think 360 would add 10-20% of that, that's a puny amount of revenue we're talking. It's just not worth it converting it to the completely different Xbox architecture, when it appears porting from ps2 to ps3 is already challenging enough.

I should have mentioned the Japan factor, yeah. That's also a big part of it in this case.
So hypothetically speaking, what if Xbone has much better sales than PS4? By making these collection on 360 also they could cover all bases but they don't do that because there shortsighted and don't think in long term IMO.
That's not a hypothetical worth considering. The PS4 is going to outsell the Xbone at launch and also worldwide after launch. The only real thing in question at all is whether the Xbone will be the majority console over the PS4 in North America (and even that doesn't look to be the case).

Asd202

You call 3 years minimum into next-gen early ?:p. Of course there little demand for KH HD on 360 but it would be released now to establish some fanbase for future KH3 release on Xbone and not release on a platform on which the franchise is non-existent.

Putting it on ps3 has nothing to do with ps4 or xbone.

OF course it has. By putting it on PS3 there trying to get people into the series again on home consoles. Now if they've also put it on 360 they would got more recognition. These collections could also been put on a Vita or whatever future handheld but there are trying to get KH on home console market becasue this gen they were no KH games on it.

I already said it once but I'll reiterate:

Anyone who's expecting multiplatform to be the near-universal norm next gen because of how this gen played out is making the same mistake most of us made when we expected 3rd party exclusives to be the norm like they were last gen.

You call 3 years minimum into next-gen early ?:p. Of course there little demand for KH HD on 360 but it would be released now to establish some fanbase for future KH3 release on Xbone and not release on a platform on which the franchise is non-existent.

OF course it has. By putting it on PS3 there trying to get people into the series again on home consoles. Know if they put it on 360 they would got more recognition.

The ps4 isn't BC with ps3. Putting a game on ps3 doesn't translate into ps4 sales. Same way putting it on 360 wouldn't translate into xbone sales.

I'm pretty sure the entire collection will appear on ps4 and xbone eventually though.

Anyone who's expecting multiplatform to be the near-universal norm next gen because of how this gen played out is making the same mistake most of us made when we expected 3rd party exclusives to be the norm like they were last gen.

While you can't assume everything will play out exactly the same as last time, so far almost everything on ps4 and xbone is multiplatform.

SkylineRKR

So you're looking at what, less than half the PS3 sales of KH HD? Would that really be a factor for an upcoming KH3? I think that if KH3 is good, and its hyped up... it will sell. Also on Xbox One. Maybe not as much as on Ps4, but still enough to justify the decision.

I was looking at about 2 years, I still hope FFXV makes it early 2015 at the latest, and KH3 early 2016. At the rate current-gen went by, 2 years is rather early.

So you're saying don't make assumptions about next generation based on the assumptions of this generation?

The ps4 isn't BC with ps3. Putting a game on ps3 doesn't translate into ps4 sales. Same way putting it on 360 wouldn't translate into xbone sales.

I'm pretty sure the entire collection will appear on ps4 and xbone eventually though.

While you can't assume everything will play out exactly the same as last time, so far almost everything on ps4 and xbone is multiplatform.

So far almost everything announced has been a Western developed title, and most developers are running off the assumption that next gen will play out similarly to this gen.

Remember the beginning of this gen was also full of exclusives.

Sure, it's important not to consider that precedent is everything.

But I'm saying multiplatform will be the near-universal norm for actual, like, known reasons, such as the similarity of the architectures and the ease of development. These things are facts and they are valid reasons to think that multi platforms will happen pretty much as standard, and that market share will matter *less* than it has in the past.

I'm not just appealing to precedent or to conventional wisdom.

DigitalDevilSummoner

I was looking at about 2 years, I still hope FFXV makes it early 2015 at the latest, and KH3 early 2016. At the rate current-gen went by, 2 years is rather early..

First of all 2016 is awfully optimistic for a game not in production but even so 3 years into the future (especially considering you have a mega AAA title in the way) is simply too long, it's unknown territory.

As I said above, that is not a logistics decision, it's "good business".

But I'm saying multiplatform will be the near-universal norm for actual, like, known reasons, such as the similarity of the architectures and the ease of development.

Dude seriously. Your ease of development argument is not solid.

Asd202

Putting a game doesn't but putting a franchise does. It's all about brand recognition ,continuity and people that bought home consoles this gen are far more likely to buy next gen console than any other consumer.

Sure, it's important not to consider that precedent is everything.

But I'm saying multiplatform will be the near-universal norm for actual, like, known reasons, such as the similarity of the architectures and the ease of development. These things are facts and they are valid reasons to think that multi platforms will happen pretty much as standard, and that market share will matter *less* than it has in the past.

I'm not just appealing to precedent or to conventional wisdom.

No, you're using assumptions, and faulty ones at that, to decide that multiplatform will be universal.

There is still a significant investment involved in porting a AAA title to another platform, even if they are architecturally similar.

DigitalDevilSummoner

Putting a game doesn't but putting a franchise does. It's all about brand recognition and people that bought home consoles this gen are far more likely to buy next gen console than any other consumer.

Exactly. Let's not forget we are talking about the continuation of a story that started over 10 years ago, you have to get people hooked again. You have a generation gap. You might say that spin offs on handhelds have been fairly successful but lets not forget KH 1 & 2 were 5 million sellers on the PS2.

Curious. Yeah, if Final Mix is uncensored, I expect that we'll get the uncensored stuff here in the US too unless Disney really raises a fuss about it. The point of these remixes is a relatively easy cash-in; having to port/develop/QA two different versions of the software (beyond mere localization) would add costs that Square-Enix likely isn't interested in paying.

If we get the uncensored stuff, it's because it'd cost MORE money to take it out.

The fact that you said this suggests you don't know much about SE, it's games, or it's development philosophy.

SE put far more work into their HD collections than other studios, and they weren't "easy cash-ins." They redid models, rearranged the music, improved the lighting, etc. They weren't simple ports, and in fact KH 1.5 supposedly had to be partially remade from the ground up due to loss of the original master.

Famassu

Exclusives tend to get more attention from their respective console's user base.
Not really. I mean, sure, if something like KHIII was PS4 exclusive, it would probably sell more on PS4 than if it is a multiplatform release. But the combined "less sales on PS4" + Xbone sales would very likely result in sales that are much more than what PS4 could achieve alone.

Unless Xbone completely flops, which I can't see happening.

What third party collections are exclusive to Sony? Besides the 2 Ubi ones (not great) and the 3 SE collections,I don't see any other?

I'm not saying you're wrong about the tool chain, just that it doesn't seem obvious outside of SE HD collections.

I agree PS3 has a ton of HD Collections but half the differentiation comes from first party titles.

Just noticed they have clearly improved the models for Terra, Aqua and Ven. Most notably Aquas hair and the X pattern on Ven+Terra (that was INCREDIBLY low rez on Ven in PSP close shots).

What third party collections are exclusive to Sony? Besides the 2 Ubi ones (not great) and the 3 SE collections,I don't see any other?

I'm not saying you're wrong about the tool chain, just that it doesn't seem obvious outside of SE HD collections.

I agree PS3 has a ton of HD Collections but half the differentiation comes from first party titles.

I'd argue SH and ZOE are both de facto PS3 exclusives since Konami refuses to fix the broken versions on 360.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Just noticed they have clearly improved the models for Terra, Aqua and Ven. Most notably Aquas hair and the X pattern on Ven+Terra (that was INCREDIBLY low rez on Ven in PSP close shots).

Well they kind of had to... PSP res wasn't going to cut it upscaled.

SkylineRKR

Ps2 had a shitload of exclusives and the Ps3 is reaping rewards from that. Its just that Microsoft isn't too big into it, they remade Halo CE but thats about it from what I gather. Plus, the 360 already had all the 3 Tomb Raider games native for the system, and could run the Splinter Cell games fine as well.

They did gain a ton though, games like DMC3, MGS3 etc never appeared on Xbox before.

mPgT5oz.gif

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kagari do you know whether they are going to populate the worlds in BBS?

They were eerily barren due to PSP limitations.

I have no idea. I wasn't given many details about the collection other than that it exists and when it was to be revealed.

Not really. I mean, sure, if something like KHIII was PS4 exclusive, it would probably sell more on PS4 than if it is a multiplatform release. But the combined "less sales on PS4" + Xbone sales would very likely result in sales that are much more than what PS4 could achieve alone.

Unless Xbone completely flops, which I can't see happening.

You don't know that though. The 360 edition of FF XIII (a more popular series) managed only 40% the sales of the PS3 edition, even though the PS3 had 75% the install base of the 360.

In other words, about 16% of then PS3 owners bought FF XIII, while only 5% of 360 owners did.

Top Bottom