• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD ReMIX Announced for PS3, coming 2014 [up: Trailer]

Nice. I don't have a PS3, but if I did, I would get this (and the first one).

But I gotta say that giving Re:Coded the "358/2 Days" treatment is just wrong. Re:Coded is the most pure fun title in the entire Kingdom Hearts lineup. And I don't think it even had a single cutscene outside of the "secret" ending that advanced any of the hot mess of the overall series plot, so that makes it double baffling to me.

SoulUnison

Banned
Nice. I don't have a PS3, but if I did, I would get this (and the first one).

But I gotta say that giving Re:Coded the "358/2 Days" treatment is just wrong. Re:Coded is the most pure fun title in the entire Kingdom Hearts lineup. And I don't think it even had a single cutscene outside of the "secret" ending that advanced any of the hot mess of the overall series plot, so that makes it double baffling to me.

Ew, no. Re:Coded was the very definition of a filler game.
Almost nothing actually happened in the story, the main character was a "copy" of Sora so that they didn't have to mess with Sora's character development or use him at all, and even the final bosses of the game were things that were early mini-bosses and *cutscenes* in previous titles.

it was like the randomly generated dungeon crawler version of Kingdom Hearts, without the "randomly generated." The only inspired things about the game were the Stat Matrix system and they way they brought the BBS battle system to the DS.

I don't know how, out of all the games in the series, you could possibly say Re: Coded is the "most fun."

Hastati

ibwCE1zo1A59eW.gif

Does anyone know if she actually says this? I love this gif.

Otherwise, fantastic news, time to boot up 1.5! Now I can finally play KH ... For the first time.

Almost nothing actually happened in the story, the main character was a "copy" of Sora so that they didn't have to mess with Sora's character development or use him at all, and even the final bosses of the game were things that were early mini-bosses and *cutscenes* in previous titles.

it was like the randomly generated dungeon crawler version of Kingdom Hearts, without the "randomly generated." The only inspired things about the game were the Stat Matrix system and they way they brought the BBS battle system to the DS.

I don't know how, out of all the games in the series, you could possibly say Re: Coded is the "most fun."
Every negative you mentioned has zero correlation to the actual gameplay of the game.

Secondly, you say "dungeon crawler" like it's a pejorative (and if I recall, it DOES have randomly generated dungeons).

So right there we are on opposite ends of the spectrum of what we consider "fun" in a video game.

When I say "most fun," I mean gameplay, I don't care about the story in Kingdom Hearts games.

Famassu

Is there any particular reason why these are not hitting the Vita and FF X/X-2 is?
Is it at all likely that they ever will?

I've probably repeated this 4 times in this thread alone. :p but anyways, in preparation for Kingdom Hearts III, they are trying to bring the franchise back to consoles in a big way after years of splintering the fanbase between different generation's & manufacturer's handhelds.

It's not likely that these ever will be released for Vita or 3DS (or iOS, for that matter, fast-paced complex-ish action RPGs simply wouldn't work even remotely well on touchscreens, so they'd have to do Agito XIII like work on all of the games). Of course, never say never. Maybe if FFX | X-2 HD does extremely well on Vita, they might change their minds. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Rojo

I've probably repeated this 4 times in this thread alone. :p but anyways, in preparation for Kingdom Hearts III, they are trying to bring the franchise back to consoles in a big way after years of splintering the fanbase between different generation's & manufacturer's handhelds.

It's not likely that these ever will be released for Vita or 3DS (or iOS, for that matter, fast-paced complex-ish action RPGs simply wouldn't work even remotely well on touchscreens, so they'd have to do Agito XIII like work on all of the games). Of course, never say never. Maybe if FFX | X-2 HD does extremely well on Vita, they might change their minds. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

If i get a PS4 mega collection then i wont mind my ps3 has passed away this january and i dont want to get another with the PS4 around the corner.

Trike

Re:Coded was pretty fun though, a lot better with the 3DS's circlepad. The leveling up system was unique, and the gameplay was pretty varied too. The Hercules World was pretty fun.

I could see how people could find it the most fun in the series, it was a lot better than what people gave it credit for.

Psxphile

Nice trailer. I wonder why they went to the trouble of providing a subtitled version... with the same amount of effort they could have spliced in the english lines without too much trouble. Oh well, I guess they didn't want to give the impression that localization is already under way when the more likely scenario is that they'll have to wait until the collection is 95% done lol.

Eh, someone will probably dub it on Youtube.

I bought KH2 for PS2 early this gen and wasn't really feeling it, so I'm kinda excited to play the final mix since it's supposed to fix all the problems in the OG version

Squire

Banned
You guys need to chill. They didn't post it up the minute it aired because it was something cool for expo attendees. That's normal with trailers/footage of this type. If it wasn't, only the hardest of diehards would go to events like this and most other people would stay home and watch the footage on their own PC, in HD, for free. We're lucky we got the trailer for 2.5 HD.

It'll probably be released with CWC video in a couple weeks. Relax.

Psxphile

Yeah, I just saw it. I posted that before I caught up to the rest of the thread (all 6 pages of new posts since the last time I checked). Need to get rid of those subs though, they aggravate me like they do in the games: I want to listen to the audio but my eyes keep being drawn to reading the subs. :p

Peeps have a real problem with Re:Coded. I guess I can understand that, after all it's just recycled worlds, music and designs from KH1 and CoM. But it's also another iteration of a fun battle system w/ some tweaks and quirks (Stat Matrix is awesome). Just needed better controls, the DS pad doesn't quite cut it. Shame the ReMix will cut out the game's only redeeming factor.

As for story relevance... lol yeah. But SE seems intent to continue what they started in Re:Coded:
Maleficent appears to want Jiminy's journal now that she knows it houses a virtual copy of every world from KH1, or else why bring it up again in DDD?
Mark my words, we'll be seeing this terrible excuse of an arc brought to a head in KH3.

Using the Heartless to conquer all worlds -> finding a new abode/castle -> trying to claim a book. How the mighty have fallen.

Mikey Jr.

So when this releases, I'm gonna play all of them. One question though. Should I play them by release date or by timeline? I know the story of kh generally, but it has been a long time since I played them. And even now I'm still a little confused by the story.

Tabris

Slightly off topic, but best thread to ask. Why did Riku not have a nobody? He turned into a heartless during KH1?

So when this releases, I'm gonna play all of them. One question though. Should I play them by release date or by timeline? I know the story of kh generally, but it has been a long time since I played them. And even now I'm still a little confused by the story.
Your probably better off playing them by release date, rather than timeline, as the gameplay got better going along.

Makes sense. I always thought Axel was Riku's nobody.
Nah, Axel's just a dude who has a bromance with Roxas.

raven777

we’re proud to announce that Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX will launch globally in 2014!

does this mean JP version and US version will release at the same time or it just means they are all coming in 2014?

Seda

does this mean JP version and US version will release at the same time or it just means they are all coming in 2014?

Well, 1.5 ReMIX released in all regions this year. Could be similar release placement in 2014. That statement doesn't confirm a simultaneous release.

Squire

Banned
Well, 1.5 ReMIX released in all regions this year. Could be similar release placement in 2014. That statement doesn't confirm a simultaneous release.

Nothing is promised, but the fact they announced the game for all three regions at the same time does sort of insinuate it'll also release in each region at the same time.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Nothing is promised, but the fact they announced the game for all three regions at the same time does sort of insinuate it'll also release in each region at the same time.

The only way I see this happening is if the JP version also comes out in the fall as well.

Seda

Maybe.

Fact of the matter is that it is just speculation at this point as to when in 2014 this will release.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Maybe.

Fact of the matter is that it is just speculation at this point as to when in 2014 this will release.

I'm pretty sure it'll be Q3 2014 for the US at the earliest. No way they're releasing this in the same fiscal year as 1.5.

I hope they voice the stuff that doesn't yet have English voice overs (like some of the new KH2FM scenes). They got the voice acting cast back together for the 358/2 Days HD cutscene-only version so hopefully that can happen again.

Still think that the inclusion of Re:Coded's cutscenes over DDD's cutscenes is bizarre, but like I said earlier in the thread, I expect Nomura to get the "what about DDD" question as soon as he's interviewed about this.

He was open enough about the fact that 2.5 was on its way, so hopefully he'll be similarly forthcoming about what's up with DDD.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It probably has to do with Dream Drop Distance being out on what is still considered a "current" system.

That has not stopped Mirror of Fate or Assassin's Creed: Liberation or Resident Evil: Revelations.
In fact, DDD going HD would not be anything special at this point.

It probably has to do with Dream Drop Distance being out on what is still considered a "current" system.
I think it's not about the 'current' system thing, but it's close. Rather, it's because it's only like a year and a half old, and they don't want to eat into its remaining sales.

I expect DDD's cutscenes, at least, to make it to HD consoles at some point that is still within the 3DS's lifetime. Maybe even a cheap remake too (but given that it's kind of a half-assed and incomplete game already and that Disney is against digital releases, it'd have to be like $20 and developed by a third party like Jupiter - Square-Enix isn't likely to dedicate the Osaka team to a full-fledged remake of the game when they're busy with the far more important KH3).

Top Bottom