• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3 to have less Disney Worlds than KH2

jimmypython

4 KH worlds:
Twilight Town
Destiny Islands
Radiant Garden
Keyblade Graveyard

3 Old Disney Worlds:
Olympus
Agrabah / Alice in Wonderland
100 Acre Woods / Atlantica

4 New Disney Worlds:
Tangled
Big Hero 6
Toy Story
Frozen

These seem good. However I would add realm of darkness.
Riku and Mickey

Ray Down

Banned
Kinda hope they make spin off games for Kairi and Riku next. I was hoping they may get substantial parts in this, but that isn't happening sadly. He could hint at their stories in 3, and spin this into a trilogy. Turn around should be quicker on the sequels. I don't know, or maybe Riku can be the dlc, and Kairi can get her own Disney sidekicks in a sequel.

I just hope Square forces them to keep making console level titles. No more handhelds please, but port these to switch if possible.
You will get DLC with them and like it.

They won't make a full Kairi title, fucking lol.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm certainly hoping for something from the original trilogy but I wouldn't be surprised if Disney requested the new trilogy be the focus.

As Star Wars fans likely won't buy their stuff being canon, having Sora/Donald/Goofy team with Rey on Jakku and going through the plot of Episode 7 might be a possibility.

Force Awakens is too recent, BH6 was the latest movie they could get in development. Besides, there's no way they would pass up having Vader as a KH boss.

Ray Down

Banned
I do think Toy Story will be their hardest get. Frozen too maybe but I'm kind of doubting that one is in.

Their ain't no way Frozen isn't making it in, Disney would stop production to force the whole team to make that world.

It's too big not to be put in.

PSFan

Force Awakens is too recent, BH6 was the latest movie they could get in development. Besides, there's no way they would pass up having Vader as a KH boss.

Vader is old hat now. Not only did he turn good, he's dead. He's not a very threatening villain any more.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Their ain't no way Frozen isn't making it in, Disney would stop production to force the whole team to make that world.

That plus it seems like a pretty natural fit for Kingdom Hearts. Just having Elsa as part of your party would sell a lot of people on the game.

Jay RaR

Less worlds means less chances for Star Wars and Marvel worlds to show up!
Nice

I'm hoping for worlds from:

Lilo and Stitch (Hawaii)
Emperor's New Groove
Finding Nemo
Treasure Planet (highly doubtful though)

Having summons from Zootopia, Moana, Monsters Inc, Incredibles, and maybe some obscure films like the Rescuers would be coo.
Or even Disney optional cameo battles would be much more interesting.

That Frozen world reveal will happen eventually.

All these people clamoring for worlds based on stuff like Treasure Planet and Atlantis kinda remind me of the folks clamoring for characters like Wonder Red in Smash Bros. threads, lol.

Ray Down

Banned
All these people clamoring for worlds based on stuff like Treasure Planet and Atlantis kinda remind me of the folks clamoring for characters like Wonder Red in Smash Bros. threads, lol.

Yeah movies from that era of Disney will most likely be on the lower end of possible worlds.

silva1991

My favorite Disney toon.
7ad3b56802747e4ff77eded361c98cc8--bring-it-on-emperors-new-groove.jpg

Lol, still cracks me up.

You will get DLC with them and like it.

They won't make a full Kairi title, fucking lol.

Why wouldn't they? SE has no issue with female protags, and she'd be easier to run a full game with than Riku. Riku has combat history, so he wouldn't be as interesting, from not only a gameplay standpoint, but also story. She's an open book right now.

I'd rather they do that, than try to shoehorn every guardian of light into 10 hours of dlc. Though, I guess a full on reboot is more likely. Eh, round 2 with this story is probably gonna be even worse.

jennetics

I offer you my sincere apologies.

I assumed that, since most games were released nearly a decade ago, some plot twists were well known by now, and that people reading threads about Kingdom Hearts III know them.

Still, my assumption doesn't excuse my behavior, as the proper etiquette is to add spoiler tags to important plot points, no matter how ancient those plot points can be.

I added tags to my post as a result.

No worries, I understand your reasoning and know it wasn't done maliciously. Thank you for your consideration!

Ray Down

Banned
Why wouldn't they? SE has no issue with female protags, and she'd be easier to run a full game with than Riku. Riku has combat history, so he wouldn't be as interesting, from not only a gameplay standpoint, but also story. She's an open book right now.

I'd rather they do that, than try to shoehorn every guardian of light into 10 hours of dlc. Though, I guess a full on reboot is more likely. Eh, round 2 with this story is probably gonna be even worse.

It's not that they have a problem with female protag, it's just despite being important lore wise, she just doesn't do much or anything at all in any of the games.

And no Riku is WAY easier to justify a full game with. He's WAY more popular, he's basically the 2nd main of the series, he already has a game play style they can flesh out and expanded. He does more in the story to build and expanded upon more so than Kairi.

DLC is cheaper at the end of the day and easier to do than make some full spin off game.

Nohar

Kairi's development as a character is somewhat lacking. She was more used as a plot device than anything else in most games. Kingdom Hearts III could be the perfect occasion for her to finally make herself known as something else than the
distressed damsel

That being said, if I were to choose now, I would take Aqua as a controllable female protagonist over Kairi everytime.

Ray Down

Banned
Kairi's development as a character is somewhat lacking. She was more used as a plot device than anything else in most games. Kingdom Hearts III could be the perfect occasion for her to finally make herself known as something else than the
distressed damsel

That being said, if I were to choose now, I would take Aqua as a controllable female protagonist over Kairi everytime.

True, but I'm really not the most hopeful that will happen.

I'd say that's realistic. I'd like to think that Zootopia and Moana both came out too late into the games development to be realistically implemented. So my best guess would be:

Returning Worlds:
  • Aladdin - Agrabah & The Vanishing Isle
  • Hercules - Colosseum & Mt. Olympus
New Worlds:
  • Big Hero 6 - San Fransokyo
  • Frozen - Arendelle
  • Tangled - Corona
  • Toy Story - Andy's Room/Neighborhood
  • Wreck-it-Ralph - Fix-It Felix, Jr/Hero's Duty/Sugar Rush
That would make it 7 Disney Worlds in total plus all the "Original" worlds like the Keyblade Graveyard, Radiant Garden, Twilight Town, and Destiny Island. I'd say Aladdin and Hercules (the latter already confirmed) are the only returning worlds. In Aladdin's case there's potential to adapt The King of Thieves. Wreck-it-Ralph can double as the obligatory "Mini Game" world and Frozen is insanely popular in Japan, so it's a no brainer.

As far as any potential Star Wars related contented. I'm betting that maybe Kylo Ren gets relegated to being a Secret/Bonus Boss ala Sephiroth.

I'm not a KH lore scholar but isn't it an agreed upon fact that Kairi is regarded as pretty much just a love interest and plot device for Sora and Riku to have something to fight over? As in she could skip a KH and not affect the story in any meaningful way?

I still can't believe we can see the panties of an underage girl in a Disney game (KH2).

Nohar

True, but I'm really not the most hopeful that will happen.

Heh, she could have a vitriolic relationship with
Axel/Lea
, with whom she would be forced by circumstances to team up with. Could lead to some very entertaining banter between the two ("A Fragmentary Passage" ending:
her big "WHAT?!" when Yen Sid orders her to train under Merlin alongside him suggests she still resent him for KH2's events
).

But yeah, I wouldn't bet on it either.

Ydelnae

I'm not a KH lore scholar but isn't it an agreed upon fact that Kairi is regarded as pretty much just a love interest and plot device for Sora and Riku to have something to fight over? As in she could skip KH3 and be affect the story in any meaningful way?

I still can't believe we can see the panties of an underage girl in a Disney game (KH2).

Spoilers for KH3D and 0.2 (and the concert lol):
Kairi is now as important to the plot as every other keyblade master, since she has been training for a good amount of time in the Merlin timeless chamber. There is no actual reason that she could not be a capable fighter more than Ven (who has been sleeping 12 years), Roxas and other copies

I would bet on her taking a more active role in this game, if she doesn't end up being the second playable character.

MogCakes

Heh, she could have a vitriolic relationship with
Axel/Lea
, with whom she would be forced by circumstances to team up with. Could lead to some very entertaining banter between the two ("A Fragmentary Passage" ending:
her big "WHAT?!" when Yen Sid orders her to train under Merlin alongside him suggests she still resent him for KH2's events
).

But yeah, I wouldn't bet on it either.
Actually I hope she and him are a team duo just for shipping potential

LycanXIII

Non-Disney Worlds (In Some Form):
Twilight Town (Already shown)
Destiny Islands (Sora has to return home for supper)
Radiant Garden (Kari's the Princess, Final Fantasy characters are from here, the human forms of the Organization members live here)
Realm of Darkness (
Someone has to rescue Aqua
)
The World That Never Was (
It's still the Organizations base
)
Castle Oblivion (
Gotta get Ventus' body back
)
Keyblade Graveyard (
I'm assuming that Daybreak Town became this
)

Flarin

The 2 worlds I'd be willing to bet money on will be in the game are Frozen and Wreck-It Ralph. They both work really well as KH worlds and are well within the development time frame from their theatrical release. My hail mary hope is the classic Robin Hood (the Fox one). It might be licensing nightmare, but still want it to happen.

For some reason, I just remembered Zootopia.

Anyone think that might be a possibility?

Movie was huge, made over a billion, critically acclaimed and won an Oscar

Nohar

Actually I hope she and him are a team duo just for shipping potential

Come on! Shipping them? Kidnapped girls never fall for their kidnappers! That wouldn't make any sense. That has certainly never happened before. It wouldn't be cliche at all to have such a ridiculous event occurs. Besides, Kairi only has eyes for Sora. Or Riku. Or both of them? But they are bros. Super-bros. In a relationship together. Kinda. They shared the same key. OK I'm confused.

... Heh, the shipping trees may be even more convulated that the actual story. So many possibilities.

I'd say that's realistic. I'd like to think that Zootopia and Moana both came out too late into the games development to be realistically implemented.

I said it earlier in this thread, and I'll say it again:

Tron: Legacy - November 30, 2010
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance - March 29, 2012
(16 months' gap)

Zootopia - February 10, 2016
Moana - November 14, 2016
Kingdom Hearts III - Sometime after March 2018
(25 months' gap for Zootopia; more than 16 months' gap for Moana)

Prompto

Banned

Apparently Big Hero 6 was the last world they decided to include back in 2015 so a Zootopia world isn't possible. Though maybe they can add one of the characters as a summon or make it a DLC world after 3 comes out or something.

Philippo

Armaly

So if Pixar writers wrote the story for the Toy Story world, how did Nomura manage to explain the plot to them in the board meetings?

Slater

Banned
People righty mock that fakeass Insomnia "Leak" but just imagine it though.

Sora: Where....are we?
Goofy: Looks like a city.
Sora: A city? The World that Never Was?
Goofy: Don't think so.
Sora: Then, where....Armigear activates in the background

Noctis warps into view

Somnus starts playing

he is the KH3 version of Lingering Will

Ray Down

Banned
Like you got the Incredibles and you go with the diet super hero movie :-/

I mean I get why just due to it's setting, but man you can make Incredibles island base interesting.

I'm pretty sure that's fake since Nomura said in this interview that big hero 6 was the last world they started working on even though it was announced early which is why he still couldn't show it in this trailer. Also toy story being one of the first worlds they worked on, which is why he said toy story is basically complete. If this guy was real, toy story would have been in production and bh6 wouldn't have been.

Yeah. Would be absolutely shocked if Frozen were not in this.

No idea. Would be really awesome though.

Worlds i'd love to see in a future KH
Treasure Planet

Oh yes. This one will probably never happen, but man that could so damned cool.

Foffy

Banned
It sounds disappointing on paper.

But then I remember that a good deal of worlds in Kingdom Hearts II were rather thin. The quantity of locations hid the fact the locations weren't that big to begin with, hence why you had revisits forced on you.

Top Bottom