• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix screenshots reveal title selection screen

Still waiting for the digital version to post to the store. I don't understand why it's still not available this close to release.

I don't understand why more digital games aren't available several months out from release. I know Sony charges a fee to do this on PSN but it obviously needs reworked so publishers can take advantage.

Hm, so some people say chronological order, some say release order. What say you guys?

Definitely release order, chronological in my opinion is crazy. Birth by Sleep which is chronologically first, but you won't appreciate a lot of the shoutouts and some characters unless you played a lot of the games before it.

Let's hope for fixes for all the bugs present in the PS3 version of these games (at the very least the loading problems should be gone now)

Pizza

Would've loved to see them chronologically but I understand why they didn't

X (double prequel movie)

BBS (prequel game, establishes the plot for the rest of the series)

1 (first release, main protagonists take over )

Chain of memories (VERY important to everything from 2 onwards. Establishes the new faction of villain characters and lots of plot)

358/2 (VERY important to 2+ establishes new characters and fleshed out the chain characters)

2 (climax to the last two games, obviously important)

Re:coded (takes place inside a computer, not SUPER releavant to anything but I think it'll be soon)

DDD (very important to 3, establishes the next wave of problems and calls back to every single game beforehand in some capacity)

0.2 (immediately before 3, follows up with the BBS story)

Is the chronology iirc, newcomers can read/watch a synopsis of chain if the gameplay isn't something that you're into. As someone who has been with the series since the beginning, I think it'd be best to experience the series chronologically. There's a web of plot to the series and the release order slowly explains the spaghetti pot of a story but I feel like I'd rather know the full story of what and WHY everything is happening as I play each game

Would've loved to see them chronologically but I understand why they didn't

X (double prequel movie)

BBS (prequel game, establishes the plot for the rest of the series)

1 (first release, main protagonists take over the plot)

Re:coded (takes place inside a computer, not SUPER releavant to anything but I think it'll be soon)

Chain of memories (VERY important to everything from 2 onwards. Establishes the new faction of villain characters and lots of plot)

358/2 (VERY important to 2+ establishes new characters and fleshed out the chain characters)

2 (climax to the last two games, obviously important)

DDD (very important to 3, establishes the next wave of problems and calls back to every single game beforehand in some capacity)

0.2 (immediately before 3, follows up with the BBS story)

Is the chronology iirc, newcomers can read/watch a synopsis of chain if the gameplay isn't something that you're into. As someone who has been with the series since the beginning, I think it'd be best to experience the series chronologically. There's a web of plot to the series and the release order slowly explains the spaghetti pot of a story but I feel like I'd rather know the full story of what and WHY everything is happening as I play each game

Why is Re:coded after KH1 and before Chain of Memories when it takes place post KHII and right before DDD?

Oh shit PS4 will likely fix using forms in KH2? that's as important as the 60fps then.

You do know you could just pause after going into the drive form and it wouldn't allow enemies to act during the animation?

The hyperbole is ridiculous. I'm sick of it. And don't think that 60fps will be without problems. These games were MADE for 30. Literally.

JayEH

Hm, so some people say chronological order, some say release order. What say you guys?

always play release order for every series. there's so many retcons and callbacks that it doesn't make sense to do in chronological order.

You do know you could just pause after going into the drive form and it wouldn't allow enemies to act during the animation?

The hyperbole is ridiculous. I'm sick of it. And don't think that 60fps will be without problems. These games were MADE for 30. Literally.

that's inexcusable when the original didn't have this problem.

You shouldn't have to pause. The notion that you can do that to avoid being hit is a perfect example of why it needs to be fixed because it's something you shouldn't have to do.

And Dream Drop Distance was made for 3-fps but often went under but it's perfect at 60 on PS4. 1.5 + 2.5 will be fine.

Afrocious

I can definitely see the argument of going through Days before KH2. While that's not release order, it might make KH2's story better. KH2FM did add more cutscenes with the Organization, but Days gives them a much needed boost in why they're actually villainous.

But for real, play them in release order for your first time run through the series. A chronological playthrough may even have the most knowledgeable KH fan taking notes.

Anyone who wants to get into this series should play them in release order. Chronological order is a terrible way to experience the games. Just play this collection from top to bottom.

Berordn

I can definitely see the argument of going through Days before KH2. While that's not chronological order, it might make KH2's story better. KH2FM did add more cutscenes with the Organization, but Days gives them a much needed boost in why they're actually villainous.

I mean, they abduct Sora's childhood friend and make a point of Disney friendly murdering all the characters they cross.

They're pretty evil without the backstory, and if you play Re:CoM first you already know they're not to be trusted.

Does anyone have pics from the title screen of the PS3 versions for comparison?

Here we go:
images

images

Yep, the new one isn't much but it's certainly an improvement.

Afrocious

I mean, they abduct Sora's childhood friend and make a point of Disney friendly murdering all the characters they cross.

They're pretty evil without the backstory, and if you play Re:CoM first you already know they're not to be trusted.

Maybe it's because I was like a sophomore in HS when KH2 came out, but it was pretty vague if they were actually acting off natural instinct in trying to get their hearts back since they're Nobodies (similar to how Heartless naturally seek hearts) or if they had a ultimate goal in mind.

I couldn't tell if I was supposed to feel sorry for Xemnas at the end. I mean, later on I knew the deal but I maintain KH2, by itself, could've been a bit more clearer.

Like you knew Ansem/Xehanort's Heartless and Marluxia were bad news outright in KH1 and Chain of Memories. I never got that completely from Xemnas honestly until Days and DDD.

I am so relieved that they actually made a proper start-up screen with all the games. I was pretty worried they would make you have to jump between 1.5 and 2.5's menus to play everything.

Pizza

If you're okay with tossing some mystery and callbacks away in favor of understanding the plot and feeling for the characters as stuff happens then I wouldn't do release order.

But that's why options exist! I don't think saying "hey here's fifteen years of vague mysteries to wade through and answer slowly" is necessarily the best way to play encourage someone to try the series, but that's just me!

Thanks for the answer guys. This will be a nice relaxing, easy set of games to play after going through Nioh.

So release order would be:
KH1 -> Chain of Memories -> KH2 -> 358/2 Days -> Birth by Sleep -> ReCoded

I've always wanted to get into this series and now seems like a better time than ever.

Is it true the bumped up the framerate in this collection from 30fps to 60fps?

sn00zer

You will not hear anyone say chronological order. The primary argument is over 358 before or after KH2.

You should absolutely play it before 2 and it is the order the current HD collections are in.

Although really what it boils down to is whether or not you want to better understand character motivations going into 2. 358 makes one of 2s more mysterious plot lines more explicit, but I think more interesting since you can understand why the character is acting the way they do. It makes some scenes hit much harder emotionally.

But

Some of the plot of 2 is revealed as a result, but I think there is so much confusing shit in 2 revealin some of the mystery is ok.

Have they said if the trophy list is shared with the PS3 version like FFX/X-2? I love Kingdom Hearts but I'm not getting the platinums for I and II again.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
All in neat order in how to play(although 358 and 2FM can probably be interchanged. Hopefully there are no 'this is so confusing where do i start' posts in this thread, but considering how i have not read it yet, i am probably kidding myself

Afrocious

Have they said if the trophy list is shared with the PS3 version like FFX/X-2? I love Kingdom Hearts but I'm not getting the platinums for I and II again.

The trophies are supposed to be different this time around, so no.

I wonder if KH2 will have a Zero XP related one. I think it's about time.

They basically listed all the games as they were positioned in the two collections. No surprises.

To people new to the games that have definite plans to play through the entire thing, I guess this order is fine.

However, if you want to give this series ONE chance or play just ONE game, play either Birth by Sleep or KH2:FM. Both of these are not only arguably best from a gameplay perspective (especially KH2) but also narratively represent best what the series is about at present. KH1 is severely dated at this point and should not be taken as a representation of the series as a whole.

Birth by Sleep is also a prequel so you can play it without much issue, even though some story moments make for a bigger impact had you played the other games.

Literally bought a ps4 slim as soon as I found this existed. Beat kh1 when it first came out and played kh2 but I've forgotten almost everything about this series. Should be good. I haven't owned a Sony console since the ps2.

Mikey Jr.

Thanks for the answer guys. This will be a nice relaxing, easy set of games to play after going through Nioh.

So release order would be:
KH1 -> Chain of Memories -> KH2 -> 358/2 Days -> Birth by Sleep -> ReCoded

Correct.

Then Dream Drop Distance -> 0.2 -> Back Cover

Also, lol at "relaxing". KH1 can be pretty tough. I still sometimes have trouble with it.

Chain is also a piece of shit. Literally. I hate that game with a passion. Unfortunately, it is pretty vital to the plot. But once you beat chain, everything else is pretty great.

You shouldn't have to pause. The notion that you can do that to avoid being hit is a perfect example of why it needs to be fixed because it's something you shouldn't have to do.

And Dream Drop Distance was made for 3-fps but often went under but it's perfect at 60 on PS4. 1.5 + 2.5 will be fine.

Come on. You only have to pause for 5 seconds and you only really have to do it during bosses. And kh1 and 2 are old games that had issues with 60fps on emulators. Expect 5 patches lol

Top Bottom