• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts III just has 8 min of footage almost 5 years after announced.

crash-14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmdEjl2znyw

Video quality it's pretty crap, but just shows how negligent Square has been with the game's marketing. There's always an excuse to not show more progress (Engine change, let's focus on XV, don't take the spotlight from the collections) and still they missed they're deadline to deliver new info:

KHIII-Announcements-Coming.jpg

I'm sure they'll provide info at E3, but in this scenario shouldn't they try to provide a bit of content before the event? I can just be that trailer from 2.5 launch that just a few lucky fans watched (That better not be the only thing they're planning to show at E3).
Don't get how Square it's so sketchy with their promotion schedule for this game. It's seems like there's a secret contract that don't allow them to show public footage outside E3, TGS and Jump Festa...

Maybe it's me, but I think it would have been smarter to launch those collection between the hype generated by new KHIII footage...

P.S: I don't know if we should count 0.2 Secret Movie in this...

UltSeer1

Banned
I never understood the appeal in KH, the story is stupid and not in a good way and the only reason for it's popularity is because it's a novelty. It was suppose to be a crossover with FF and Disney characters but FF characters are barely in it. You always go to Disney worlds, you never go to locations in any of the FF universes. Dumb game, couldn't care less if it got delayed for another 20 years.

Mediking

I just imagine Nomura sitting in his either edgelord office or super laidback office and thinking... "I GOT THIS" as fans scream about the lack of Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy 7 Remake news.

They're both not coming until after 2018... which is kinda scary.

My biggest fear is that I'll die for any reason before this game comes out. Yeah that sounds incredibly hyperbolic but you never know nowadays.

They really need to get their act together. This and FFVII Remake.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Nomura is a terrible manager for anything PS3 level or above in fidelity.

That is not correct. Only reason FF15 is out now is because SE said it had to come out in 2016

The fact of the matter is that SE's workflow in general is just very slow.

I never understood the appeal in KH, the story is stupid and not in a good way and the only reason for it's popularity is because it's a novelty. It was suppose to be a crossover with FF and Disney characters but FF characters are barely in it. You always go to Disney worlds, you never go to locations in any of the FF universes. Dumb game, couldn't care less if it got delayed for another 20 years.

cool

Doesn't help that 0.2 might as well had stayed a part of 3's intro,back cover was pointless and DDD could've been stuffed into 1.5+2.5 and just made it $60. Nobody would've batted an eye

Famassu

Nomura is a terrible manager for anything PS3 level or above in fidelity.
Show me anyone who is making a game with the supposed scope of KHIII much faster, while the team also makes three HD collections.

Also, KHIII was announced in 2013, not 2012. So not 5 years yet, not even 4. They weren't exactly secretive about it being in early development at the time of announcement.

Mediking

I've been meaning to make a thread how the Kingdom Hearts community on YouTube damage controls for Nomura so much that its embarassing.

Betty

Banned
Yeah but this is Nomura we're talking about.

The fact he's also direction FFVII Remake is the most insane thing ever, he couldn't finish one project before so let's give him two major ones!

Aww hell yeah, you sure showed all the kingdom hearts fans in here. Straight REKT them bro.

Waiting for KH3 or FF7Remake to be taken away from Nomura's team and given to a team that actually understands setting realistic targets and then achieving them.

DNAbro

okay then.

My biggest fear is that I'll die for any reason before this game comes out. Yeah that sounds incredibly hyperbolic but you never know nowadays.

They really need to get their act together. This and FFVII Remake.

The main thing that gives me hope about VII Remake is it being on Kitase's watch. Say what you will about his last few big projects from the Producer (err, EXEC Producer) seat, namely the Lightning Trilogy, but the man delivers products.

I could even see a scenario where Kitase takes over a good deal of the Director role if the project starts stumbling. And I'm 100% ok with that.

Mediking

I rememeber playing KH1 when I was in middle school... the games are magical and fun with great music and cutscenes.

Inuhanyou

And that refutes his point how?

These games in general take a lot of time to make and the workflow of SE is very slow to begin with and they tend to do be mismanaged from the higher levels. FF15 came out half a project because they forced it out before it was done.

I don't think Tabata is to blame for that, just like i don't believe Osaka team is to blame for KH3 taking a long time, or CC2 to blame for FF7R taking a while. Its surely not on a single director.

That is not correct. Only reason FF15 is out now is because SE said it had to come out in 2016

The fact of the matter is that SE's workflow in general is just very slow.
Yeah but that was after the switch from the other game (I'm not saying it) to it's incarnation as XV though right?

Just right before or during the time when Nomura was replaced with Tabata.

Neither one is really at fault there. It was more of executive meddling from the former leadership.

Inuhanyou

I've been meaning to make a thread how the Kingdom Hearts community on YouTube damage controls for Nomura so much that its embarassing.

The fact he's also direction FFVII Remake is the most insane thing ever, he couldn't finish one project before so let's give him two major ones!

He finished 8 projects he had worked on in the time you claim he could not finish one. The issue being that your putting all the blame on a single director when making games are far more complicated than what your describing.

Risev1

Also this isn't the first we've seen Nomura does this. We all know what happened with Versus, and while I'm sure the upper management of Square holds much of the responsibility, I doubt Nomura comes out of that completely clean. Also, VII Remake was announced almost 2 years ago and just a couple of months ago it was announced it just entered full production (or what is that the game is not even in full production yet?)

These games in general take a lot of time to make and the workflow of SE is very slow to begin with and they tend to do be mismanaged from the higher levels. FF15 came out half a project because they forced it out before it was done.

I don't think Tabata is to blame for that, just like i don't believe Osaka team is to blame for KH3 taking a long time, or CC2 to blame for FF7R taking a while. Its surely not on a single director.

Sure, but there's a middle ground between not putting any blame on Nomura, and fairly criticising him every now and then. These things have continued to happen with Nomura over the past few years, and we can't just sit back and pretend he's probably not mismanaging anything. We obviously have little info to work with, but we can predict based on what we see happen.

VeeP

Do we really know what was happening behind the scenes at Square Enix? Seems like sometimes they'd want the game to be on a different engine, sometimes they'd take over half the development team working under Nomura to work on FF13 or it's sequels, etc.

He's delivered countless times before, the only time he hasn't was with FF 13 Versus/15.

Also this isn't the first we've seen Nomura does this. We all know what happened with Versus, and while I'm sure the upper management of Square holds much of the responsibility, I doubt Nomura comes out of that completely clean. Also, VII Remake was announced almost 2 years ago and just a couple of months ago it was announced it just entered full production (or what is that the game is not even in full production yet?)

Again, I'm curious as to how much blame really falls on Nomura. He's had no problem delivering games before. Why couldn't he deliver on Versus? Would Kingdom Hearts 3 have the same problem?

The team making KH3 is the team that made the handheld KH games, this is their first HD one. I also didn't see any reports of the studio expanding to compensate (unless someone wants to link me something I missed) so this is gonna take them longer since they are a relatively smaller studio.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i've said this before but

i will NEVER understand the insanity at S-E to make the decision that nomura should be taken off a game that was in development hell, and then put onto two major projects simultaneously

True Fire

Show me anyone who is making a game with the supposed scope of KHIII much faster, while the team also makes three HD collections.

Also, KHIII was announced in 2013, not 2012. So not 5 years yet, not even 4. They weren't exactly secretive about it being in early development at the time of announcement.

Anyone could direct a game faster than Nomura, considering Versus XIII and TWEWY2 never even happened.

I guarantee he's working on VII Remake more than Kingdom Hearts. He might be handing that one over to his fall guy Tabata soon.

Philippo

"Just give it to Tabata" is SE equivalent of "give it to Platinum".

Or y'know, give it to Platinum
and Yoko Taro

Famassu

Yasue is handling the day to day directorial duties on Kingdom Hearts III. Nomura might've been a bit more involved with it early on when they needed to figure out some larger details but nowadays Nomura checks in more or less regularly to see progress & give his feedback, but otherwise he's more hands-on with FFVIIR.

And obviously SQEX higher-ups haven't seen Nomura as the problem. The much delayed FFVersusXIII/XV wasn't Nomura's fault, most of the delays before him being moved to KHIII & FFVIIR were caused by other projects failing and FFVsXIII not being given any priority until those were taken care of.

I stopped being a KH fan after reading this post

The main thing that gives me hope about VII Remake is it being on Kitase's watch. Say what you will about his last few big projects from the Producer (err, EXEC Producer) seat, namely the Lightning Trilogy, but the man delivers products.

I could even see a scenario where Kitase takes over a good deal of the Director role if the project starts stumbling. And I'm 100% ok with that.
Oh yeah I forgot that Kitase was also involved! As long as they work together efficiently and Kitase pushes Nomura to stop worrying about whether or not you can do "x" then it should be okay!
NO. I rather have Tetsuya "edgelord genius" Nomura than Hajime "Lol. I have no scope" Tabata.
At least it would be done sooner than "New information coming soon but not today". Call them what you want but "edgelord genius" can only go so far when time starts to drag on.

The hyperbolic rage around Tabata is ridiculous. But that's not what this is about.

Mediking

He finished 8 projects he had worked on in the time you claim he could not finish one. The issue being that your putting all the blame on a single director when making games are far more complicated than what your describing.

Don't get me wrong. I like Nomura. He's awesome. His name is tied closely to Kingdom Hearts so he catches praise and criticism all the time. People rather say his name than Square's.

Top Bottom