• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts portables info thread (PSP/DS/mobile, clean scans, info)

God dammit. Can't game series either stay on one platform at least have the same game go multiplatform nowadays?!? Not made of freaking money here.

Polari

Mockingbird said:
God dammit. Can't game series either stay on one platform at least have the same game go multiplatform nowadays?!? Not made of freaking money here.

How the hell is that better than three games, developed from the ground up for their respective platforms?

Defuser

duckroll said:
I just woke up. It's raining really heavily here. I had a dream that I was trying to play the new KH games, but Nomura and the S-E reps would only allow everyone in the focus groups to play the cellphone version. But it wasn't KH Coded, it was another unannounced game called KH Before that featured the BbS characters but with horrible cellphone 3D graphics.

Discuss...
It raining everywhere in Singapore..... and that you desire to buy BBS and Coded.

Polari said:
How the hell is that better than three games, developed from the ground up for their respective platforms?

Less money to spend for consumers who don't desire to get another platform, much less two, for just one game.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Mockingbird said:
Less money to spend for consumers who don't desire to get another platform, much less two, for just one game.
They aren't forcing you to get all 3. :lol

Aokage said:
Two of the three main characters are Terra (the Keyblade wielder) and Vent (Roxas). Nomura says the main characters are named after elements, and Terra and Vent are obviously Earth and Wind, so maybe the blue-haired girl will be Aqua or something.

Remember that Sora = sky (wind), Kairi = ocean (water), and Riku = land (earth). I'd imagine that means that Terra is an analogue of Riku and that, yes, the girl is going to be Aqua.

I think the most important question here is, how do you say 358/2 Days? After a lot of debate, I'm going with "179 Days."

Fusebox

Banned
Mobile looks great, come on series 60. Only problem is, now that they've got past graphics and sound limitations, is that most phones have shit d-pads to play games on.

duckroll

Synthesizer Patel said:
Remember that Sora = sky (wind), Kairi = ocean (water), and Riku = land (earth). I'd imagine that means that Terra is an analogue of Riku and that, yes, the girl is going to be Aqua.

Yes, Nomura actually says that in the interview. :p

I think the most important question here is, how do you say 358/2 Days? After a lot of debate, I'm going with "179 Days."

It's officially read as Three Five Eight Days Over Two.

duckroll said:
Yes, Nomura actually says that in the interview. :p It's officially read as Three Five Eight Days Over Two.

I don't have time to read your so-called "interviews"! I'm a busy man!

Does he shed any light about what the AWESOME title means. That's sarcasm, btw. The title sucks.

I can't WAIT to find out about the AWESOME connection between Sora, Roxas, and Vent. I'm going to start replaying KH1, COM, and KH2 to look for hints, because I'm sure that whatever the reason is, Nomura has had it planned from the very start of the series!

I remember originally, everyone thought Vent was VEN lol Its interesting because most of the theories that exploded after KH II FM+ seem to be turning out true in alot of ways.

BTW the battle system in Re:COM and well, in COM too, was great in my opinion. Re:COM was better mainly due to the fact that you could set it to Proud at the start of Sora's and Riku's games. This gave some needed challenge to the game. But more than that, the story was simply amazing, and the specific characteristics and personalities of the Castle Oblivion members was more impressive then those in KH II IMO(Vexen and Zexion ftw!)

What looks interesting about KH DS is the opportunity to explore the characters of Org. XIII even more. Lets learn more about Even and Ienzo!!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Holy SHIT. The PSP version looks simply amazing. Not only that but it seems to have gameplay that will be similar to the PS2 versions, which is fantastic. Too bad it's coming out last.

The DS version looks like shit. Fucking terrible, should've done KH CoM style with updated graphics.

I couldn't care less about the Mobile one.

PSP Version Get.

duckroll

Some new info about the co-directors of each game:

KH DS - Tomohiro Hasegawa is also the co-director of IAWW (with Nomura as creative producer and Tatsuya Kando as director)

KH PSP - Tai Yasue is also the co-director of KH Re:CoM (with Nomura as director)

Hope that makes everyone feel better! Both guys have served as co-directors under Nomura before! :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So, the PSP version, which I'm excited about, is co-directed by someone who also co-directed the worst KH game ever, and the DS version, which I'm not so excited about, is co-directed by someone who also co-directed one of the best new Square-Enix IPs in the last five years? I'm confused, but intrigued!

duckroll

thetrin said:
So, the PSP version, which I'm excited about, directed by someone who also co-directed the worst KH game ever, and DS version, which I'm not so excited about, is co-directed by someone who also co-directed one of the best new Square-Enix IPs in the last five years? I'm confused, but intrigued!

Huh? Did you even play Re:CoM? I'm a few hours into it now, and it's pretty awesome.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
duckroll said:
Huh? Did you even play Re:CoM? I'm a few hours into it now, and it's pretty awesome.

Oh, Re:CoM. Thought you meant the Jupiter disaster.

duckroll

thetrin said:

CoM wasn't that big of a disaster imo. What really held it back were shitty controls (2Dish battles + lack of buttons) and a platform that couldn't give the presentation that Nomura wanted.

Re:CoM maintains the card deck system (which is pretty deep and interesting once you learn it) but also presents the entire game remade in the KH2 engine. Everything is 3D including the battles. You can now run, roll, jump, etc in 2D areas while using the cards to attack/defend/cast spells/etc. The controls are much better and the cutscenes between each floor are all fully voiced.

If you can find KH2FM+ for a good price you should definitely check it out. It's pretty much CoM as Nomura originally envisioned it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
thetrin said:
No, they made a totally different disaster.
028.jpg

I don't remember Chocobo Tales looking like pixelated AIDS, so why does the DS game look so? Should have been a top-down 2D Mana ripoff.

The phone game actually does look pretty good. I doubt it'll play on my ancient brick.

In my opinion, it wasn't so much Musashi was "bad," but it really could have been so much more. If it were as energetic and fast as its opening movie, or played more along the lines of something like Devil May Cry, it would have been received a lot better then it was. As it is, Musashi himself was relatively slow and clunky, and just wasn't able to convey that sense of "this guy is a badass warrior," like they wanted you to think. Speaking of Devil May Cry, it didn't help that the game was released in the same month as DMC3, which actually did make you feel like a total badass.

Awful, awful voice work also didn't help.

I am incredibly impressed at SE's efforts at pushing the PSP graphics, if you had showed me those shots before the announcement I would've said that it was a PS2 game.

AniHawk

I'm pretty surprised they didn't just basically rip IAWW's engine and make a KH game out of it. The DS game looks terrible. And the premise is the worst of any of the 6 games so far in the series.

thetrin

AniHawk said:
I'm pretty surprised they didn't just basically rip IAWW's engine and make a KH game out of it. The DS game looks terrible. And the premise is the worst of any of the 6 games so far in the series.

Considering how awesome IAWW is, I'm rather disappointed myself.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Is it sad I am actually looking forward to Kingdom Hearts on the DS?

I thought CoM would suck and its my second favorite in the series! (I really REALLY cant get into #2... its such a button masher)

thetrin said:
Considering how awesome IAWW is, I'm rather disappointed myself.

I liked IAWW despite being totally lost at times, but I would be pissed if they used the same touch based combat in a KH game, I mean unless they improved it by a whole lot.

Scribble

These games are more or less our Kingdom Hearts 3. 1 and 2 could easily be replicated on the PSP - the games weren't particularly epic.

Kyoufu

Scribble said:
These games are more or less our Kingdom Hearts 3. 1 and 2 could easily be replicated on the PSP - the games weren't particularly epic.

I found them, especially KH2 (the Org. XIII fights) to be prettttttty damn epic.

Amir0x said:
puke.gif @ DS direct screens

Most of the time when people do this I know exactly what image they are referencing, but I don't think I've ever seen a 'puke' gif that was particularly memorable before...

Kyoufu

Pureauthor said:
Most of the time when people do this I know exactly what image they are referencing, but I don't think I've ever seen a 'puke' gif that was particularly memorable before...

5zqaj4h.gif

:D

Defuser

lol DS graphics look exactly like the Mobile.

PSP version looks really awesome,this is coming out next year right?

Matix

Scribble said:

More like KH-0 (PSP), KH-1.5+ (DS) and KH-1+2 (Mobile), none of these projects equal KH-3 for me.

Also in the first BBS pic, am I the only one seeing Rikku's shadow next to Vent's (Roxas's)?!

Splatt

Matix said:
More like KH-0 (PSP), KH-1+ (Mobile) and KH-1.5+ (DS), none of these equal KH-3 for me.

Also in the first BBS pic, am I the only one seeing Rikku's shadow next to Vent's (Roxas's)?!

That's probably Terra's shadow.

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:

most memorable one is the dog fucking the other dog, but it's banned here!

painey

they look awesome apart from the hideous DS version.. but i think its a shame that Kingdom Hearts is being "whored out" Final Fantasy style.

RyuHayate

I want all of them...

painey said:
they look awesome apart from the hideous DS version.. but i think its a shame that Kingdom Hearts is being "whored out" Final Fantasy style.

At this point, it's just the matter of realizing that this is S-E and accepting it.

Top Bottom