• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning

I’ll definitely pick this up for PS4, I enjoyed the combat quite a bit even if it was piss easy. The lore was ehhh but they were trying to build a universe and I would have loved to see where they went with it. Always wanted to do another run but it never happened.

Oddly enough this game is what brought me to GAF... I was at the 38 Studios forum and someone linked to a thread Curt was posting in here and said wow! look at this crazy forum! I wanna join! I fondly remember Curt jizzing himself wrt the doors in the game heh.

Curt posted a topic about it here? I'd love a link to that.

I just hope they don't overcharge for this, seems to be a basic remaster.
40 dollars at amazon. I hope it includes legend of dead kell, that optional house questline I can't remember the name of that was some sort of dlc bonus, and also teeth of Naros. I loved dead kell.

I remember finding this relatively enjoyable while playing it years ago. But if asked to tell you about it today, I could tell you absolutely nothing. It surely wasn't something that stuck with me.

intbal

For that price, it better be a ground-up rebuild. 4K/60, HDR, new models and textures.
But those screenshots definitely don't look like that. It looks like they "tweaked" the colors and contrast a bit and that's all.
I'll ebay it a year from now for $5.

It was heartbreaking it didn't sell more. The developers made a genuinely good game, especially in that time.
It's a pity it didn't catch on. Hopefully this time around, it'll be different. Whatever that's worth now, for them.

anthraticus

Banned
Amalur is pretty crappy. Felt like a sp mmo complete with the exclamation points on top of NPCs, boring & repetitive quest design, overzealous loot focus, banal dialogue you just want to skip, a lack of any challenge or tension, button mashing-based combat, linear hallways...

The game engine itself isn't bad, but it's cursed with bland content and an overly cartoonish art design.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
For that price, it better be a ground-up rebuild. 4K/60, HDR, new models and textures.
But those screenshots definitely don't look like that. It looks like they "tweaked" the colors and contrast a bit and that's all.
I'll ebay it a year from now for $5.
It's being done by the team that did the Darksiders remasters so I would expect similar improvements.

Weiji

Banned
Loved the gameplay in the original, story was kinda meh.

Needs difficulty settings and more balanced items, crafting made things kinda boring by making rare equipment useless.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Never played KOA so if the remaster turns out to be like Saints Row 4, I'll definitely give the game a chance after Mafia Remake and Avengers.

Humdinger

I've been missing games like these, lately -- colorful, fantasy WRPGs in the old style. I only stuck with the original for a few hours, but I'll give a remaster a second try. What I didn't appreciate at the time, I may appreciate more now.

Ar¢tos

I hope that "refined gameplay" includes:
- difficulty fix
- removal of region lvl locking by char lvl (just set region lvls)
- fix stealth pickpocketing exploit
- seriously increase chances of getting flawless materials from dismantling stuff, so blacksmithing can be more useful (and necessary if the game is difficult enough)
- add more sources of Prismere Dust to harvest (there are like 3 in a mine, 2 in another mine and 1 somewhere else).

What platforms? Would love this on the switch, as that's where I've been playing most things as I can sit on my patio in the backyard under the canopy and chill with the dog outside while playing.

I own this game on ps3, but it came out near ps4 launch and I let it sit. It's a pain setting up the ps3 just to play one game. Lookimg forward to it.

Mr Hyde

Nier and Kingdoms of Amalur coming back in full glory. Very exciting to say the least. So much good stuff dropping lately, it's an endless sea of video game goodies just waiting to be picked up.

Mr Hyde

Finally, someone who is genuinely excited for gaming. Seems so few on a gaming enthusiast site.

I'm always excited about games. New games, old games, big games, small games, remasters, remakes, you name it. Gaming landscape has never been better, with so much variety and choice. I feel spoiled being a modern gamer. I will never understand people who do nothing but complain and moan just about everything.

Klayzer

I'm always excited about games. New games, old games, big games, small games, remasters, remakes, you name it. Gaming landscape has never been better, with so much variety and choice. I feel spoiled being a modern gamer. I will never understand people who do nothing but complain and moan just about everything.
That post right there is me totally. You will never here me complain about remakes, remasters or reimagining of older games. I love that we are able to update old favorites. So much content out in the wild, I just can't see how anybody could be so dissatisfied with the gaming landscape.

That post right there is me totally. You will never here me complain about remakes, remasters or reimagining of older games. I love that we are able to update old favorites. So much content out in the wild, I just can't see how anybody could be so dissatisfied with the gaming landscape.

I'm hoping against hope (somewhat unrealistically) for remasters for:
Xenosaga trilogy
Mass Effect trilogy
Fatal Frame trilogy
Onimusha 2 and 3
Skies of Arcadia legends
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn
Metroid Prime Trilogy

Klayzer

I'm hoping against hope (somewhat unrealistically) for remasters for:
Xenosaga trilogy
Mass Effect trilogy
Fatal Frame trilogy
Onimusha 2 and 3
Skies of Arcadia legends
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn
Metroid Prime Trilogy
I'm totally in for all of those games. Especially an Xenosaga trilogy remake. Would love a Skies remake and Sword of the Berserk from my Dreamcast liabray.

Mr Hyde

Skies of Arcadia remake would be glorious. The game was a lot of fun, I played it on GC and loved the characters and overall world and theme of the game, with sky pirates flying around in their big ships, but it had awful lot of random encounters. It soured the exploration a bit. A sequel would be cool too. IIRC the director mentioned she was up for a sequel but that it kinda never materializes. Maybe someday. Stranger things have happened *cough Nier Automata cough*.

Humdinger

What platforms? Would love this on the switch

Xbox and PS4 so far. I heard from a channel on Youtube (MattyPlays or something like that) that the dev has "hinted" at a Switch version, but the dev also described the Switch as "limited." I'm guessing that means the Switch port will be either delayed or downgraded, or both.

Xbox and PS4 so far. I heard from a channel on Youtube (MattyPlays or something like that) that the dev has "hinted" at a Switch version, but the dev also described the Switch as "limited." I'm guessing that means the Switch port will be either delayed or downgraded, or both.

Yeah, it sounds like this leaked before they were ready to announce it, which is why there's no trailer yet.

Curt Schilling’s company 38 Studios. Which he basically threw money at a bunch of super talented people in order to make a game. He also went bankrupt and ended up owing the city money for it. I might be forgetting some details here and there.

I unfortunately skipped it. There were a lot of games that came during 2012 that I got instead. That year was Dishonored, Halo 4, Borderlands, Far Cry 3, and Mass Effect 3.

It wasn't this game, it was the MMORPG he was building alongside it. He thought this game would be the kick start to his own Everquest style game, or WoW. Obviously he greatly underestimated the funds required and lost everything. A damn shame, if he'd focused on making this a trilogy of single player RPGs they'd likely be around still.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
*EDIT* Seems like it has all the DLC as well!

Any rate, fantastic game and anyone that hasn't played it will be in for a great time!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's actually a trailer for a new expansion. Fatesworn.

Cool! Like all CG trailers, I skipped through it to try to find gameplay and didn't watch it. Hope the expansion is good, though.

Top Bottom