• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur demo impressions thread [Up On 360/Origin/Steam/U.S. PSN]

Ricker

Sorry, jumping should be mandatory in games like these. I don't care if the level is designed around it or not... it's a basic human function. Like a previous poster said, there's nothing more immersion breaking than seeing a treasure that you could normally jump to but you can't because your character is glued to the ground except for instances where the developer "allows" you to unglue yourself.

It's bad design and should've been left in the N64 era.

No,especially those who say they wont buy the game because it doesn't have it...utter crap,just as bad as the new meme I'll wait for the winter sale on Steam in 3 years...jesus.

Sorry, jumping should be mandatory in games like these. I don't care if the level is designed around it or not... it's a basic human function. Like a previous poster said, there's nothing more immersion breaking than seeing a treasure that you could normally jump to but you can't because your character is glued to the ground except for instances where the developer "allows" you to unglue yourself.

I would argue watching your character jump around like an idiot could be considered immersion breaking.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I would argue watching your character jump around like an idiot could be considered immersion breaking.

As is pretending that jumping is a sorcery unbeknownst to the world at large. Hell, if there was a climbing/mantling mechanic that would be acceptable, but no ability to traverse the terrain save for sticking exactly to the path is just dull and kinda irksome.

Effect

At the least one should be able to jump down as long as there is land below them instead at the predetermined points. If you die you die because you didn't have enough health to deal with the fall damage. That annoyed me when I realized that. I was right below an area, wasn't that far of a jump at all, but had to run back further away to the wooden deck in order to jump down. -_-

It limits level design to a certain plane of thought, it disallows for freedom of exploration (you want to go up there...better find the ONE path we created!) and as always, any time you can't do something that is mundane in real life, you just kind of think "Really? Just hop over the 1 foot barrier. The treasure is right freakin' there!"
Hopefully the world/level design won't be such that you're seeing something you'd be able to get to in a real life situation, but can't in the game.

If we're going for realism maybe a climb/clamber button would make more sense.

You could easily solve that by not jumping around like an idiot.
Most jumping in games looks idiotic. Especially trying to jump/exploit up a rock wall or what have you.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Hopefully the world/level design won't be such that you're seeing something you'd be able to get to in a real life situation, but can't in the game.

If we're going for realism maybe a climb/clamber button would make more sense.

Well, this isn't that game, then. Already in the demo I've been annoyed by not being able to check out the cool looking ruins in the middle of the forest, not being able to jump down the little ledge that leads to the town (unless you find the ONE spot that gives you context sensitive abilities to do what every 4 year-old is capable of) and having to find the exact path to get to the water, even though the ledge is about 6 inches up.

It's not a huge thing, but it's worth mentioning, and the game would be better and lose nothing if it had the ability to jump around.

Jump. Jump. Jump around.

Mr_eX

All these $60 PC games are concerning me. They are moving the wrong direction. The game appeals to me in a lot of ways, but even with nothing else coming out, I'll be surprised if this does well enough to maintain its pricetag.
Play TF2, collect items, trade TF2 items for games.

I'm thinking about trying this myself but I only have one really rare item and for some reason items that are 157 times more common(literally) are worth more. It doesn't make much sense to me.

I thought the demo was OK. The combat seems good but the game looks like a bad MMO. Production values really seem to be lacking.

Well, this isn't that game, then. Already in the demo I've been annoyed by not being able to check out the cool looking ruins in the middle of the forest, not being able to jump down the little ledge that leads to the town (unless you find the ONE spot that gives you context sensitive abilities to do what every 4 year-old is capable of) and having to find the exact path to get to the water, even though the ledge is about 6 inches up.

It's not a huge thing, but it's worth mentioning, and the game would be better and lose nothing if it had the ability to jump around.

Jump. Jump. Jump around.

OK sounds like you got farther than I did, that does sound a little annoying.

My character kept running for no reason and I can't figure out why. The battle system is fairly decent. I'm also totally missing the keys such as pressing spacebar to build up...fate?

Still a nifty game, but won't be buying at launch...maybe later in the year.

Interfectum

Jump. Jump. Jump around.

Yeah I guess this is the major sticking point for me. If you aren't going to give me the ability to jump... fine. But don't design a world where I'm missing the ability to jump. You listed some perfect examples.

That being said, I'll still consider getting the game if they clean up the camera issues.

Played the Steam version. I'm sure a lot of this has been covered, but having to sign into EA was annoying enough, but then having to tell them not to email me every time I restart the game was even worse.

I ran into a graphics glitch where I couldn't see the gameplay (only the menu/GUI stuff). Apparently this is an AMD problem and turning off post processing fixed it. Easy enough and this didn't really bother me. What bothered me a little more was sitting through so much exposition before playing. I am still confused about who was what in the intro.

While it was kind of fun getting loot for the first time, getting dupes and having to check stats in my inventory every time I picked something up made me question whether I even wanted to bother opening chests when I see them only 5 minutes into the game.

I did like the way they push you to use each weapon type early on to determine which you might use.

Seeing some of the combat videos has me intrigued, but the combat in the demo was too basic and it didn't give me a good sense of whether or not it will be interesting later. Also, so much of the game feels sllloooowwwww. Mostly the dodge move and the camera, which are incredibly important.

The story really didn't interest me at all.

Mutombo

In defence of the demo and perhaps all demo's, I played the Bastion Demo, liked it but wasn't really intrigued. But now that I have the full version it feels so much different. Some of the gameplay changed (it's a bit harder) but mostly it just feels so much more alive.

Then again, I also started the final fantasy 13-2 demo, and couldn't be bloody arsed to complete even the first fight. Bad representation of a demo really.

All I am saying is, this should make you interested, but not give you a glimpse of how you will actually play the retail game when it's out.

After playing the demo I'll definitely buy day one. There are some bad things in the demo though. Huge frame drops out of nowhere, random hitches, it can go from 60fps to sub 30 just from turning the camera while moving or vice versa, some of the character in-game cinematics seems either rushed/janky or lifeless. Some really minor things I noticed; if you pull out your shield and move the right stick around you'll start to turn for a moment but after a while you stop, weird. Sometimes breaking barrels/boxes drops frames(not talking about the Zelda style pause on hit, but after that). But I love the art style, I love the skills and talent trees, I love the Fate thing, even though you use it before you find out what it even is on that Troll dude, that was kinda weird. Oh excuse me,
let me just pull out this huge random lightning spear
to finish you off.

I love the feel of the game, though I think the camera is a bit too claustrophobic at times. The world seems really cool. The combat is simple but very satisfying. And you unlock a ton of stuff for the full game just by playing the demo. Again, the art style, the feel of movement and combat, everything is very slick and fun. Rogue instant kills are the best. Cannot wait.

mjc

Are we seriously arguing about the lack of a jump button? The game obviously doesn't need one because it was developed without the need for it. Do you guys not play Zelda because it doesn't have a jump button? Come on.

I enjoyed it after I turned down the sensitivity of the camera. Not blown away, but enjoyed it enough to not cancel my amazon pre-order right now - perhaps I'll think differently after playing through the demo some more.

But there isn't anything in this game (so far) that you could jump to and get but instead you have to go some other route?

I find it immersion breaking when a character has a three or four foot vertical jump while they're wearing gear that makes it pretty unlikely that they could make that jump.

Not to mention the fact that a three to four foot vertical jump is well above average.

"Traversal" would be nice, like what you see in Assassin's Creed or along the lines of Brink or even Battlefield 3 but I am clearly as not as invested in a "jump button" as much as you are and I'm not willing to designate something as N64 era based solely upon the exclusion of that feature.

Khezu

I really hope the game does well, it may have some problems and can be a bit generic, its a great first attempt and its finally a western action RPG with combat I don't hate, sure it might not be DMC or NG, or hell even darksiders, after skyrim its a god send. Plus it would be nice for bethesda to have some actual competition, they have gotten kinda safe and lazy and refuse to fix the horrible problems that plaque there games, not even talking about the poor combat.

I do wish curt and 38 studios weren't so set on making that MMO though, market is saturated with them already and I don't see them making anything super crazy that sets it apart. It probably won't affect BHG from making another Reckoning, but Id rather 38 try and make there own single player RPG set in amular, make it different enough where both games could exists as there own franchises, maybe even make it a party centric turn based game or something crazy.

ReaperXL7

There isn't enough time in the demo to really answer those questions, I think.
From the little I've played, there is some choice you can make, at least when it comes time to complete them. For example, you can give the ring you just acquired to the quest giver, or you can try and persuade them to leave it to you, similar to how, after saving a gnome from a bear right at the start, you can decide to let him go, kill him or have him pay you hush money.
Maybe going forward the choices will have more depth and lasting effects on the game world.

From the latest dev/community Q&A:

Q: What are some of the long lasting consequences that we could expect to encounter? Will some consequences lead to some NPC's not ever wanting to speak to us again? – By TheHolyKnight

A: In many ways, Reckoning is a game about choice. There are the obvious examples, such as selecting your character’s appearance, skills, and fighting style, but there are plenty of other opportunities for visitors to Amalur to change the world. All our notable NPCs have agendas. If you choose not to cooperate, you can expect a strong reaction. Some will hate you. Some will fight you. Some may disappear, never to be seen again.

In the guise of the Fateless One, you have the power to alter the outcome of lives around them. Many side quests feature one or numerous choices, the consequences of which vary widely. In some cases, it may just be a difference in the quest reward. In others, it could mean lies, betrayal, or even murder.

Factions are an especially great place to make a profound impact on the world. The Age of Arcana is a time of change, and many of Amalur’s established orders are finding themselves overwhelmed by the transition. You will have a hand in shaping the future of these powerful institutions, for good or for ill. Everywhere you go, you will leave a trail of consequences behind you. – By Andrew "Fiend" Auseon, Narrative Designer

ironcreed

Banned
Reading over on the official forums, I was reminded of some very cool features this game will have. Not only can you own a house, but you eventually can own a castle, and even an island fortress. One of the homes even has underground mines that grow and expand as you upgrade your home. Which of course changes as you upgrade it as well.

In your home you can sleep to heal, store loot, do smithing and alchemy, change your appearance and even have a pet monster, lol. It is certainly nothing we have not seen before, but a welcome feature all the same. Anyway, just thought this was worth mentioning for those who were unaware.

I enjoyed it, but I need to have another full play through with the sound actually working properly this time.

I really wish the camera could be pulled back a bit... I feel it is far too close for me to feel properly effective in combat (I prefer to see as much as possible) and to really observe your surroundings better, especially wandering around in the world. Also, movement is a little too loose and quick for me. I think the game would feel better with a tighter and slower movement scheme... 'cause right now I feel like I don't have complete control over the movement of my character.

Otherwise, I look forward to playing more!

I really hope the game does well, it may have some problems and can be a bit generic, its a great first attempt and its finally a western action RPG with combat I don't hate, sure it might not be DMC or NG, or hell even darksiders, after skyrim its a god send. Plus it would be nice for bethesda to have some actual competition, they have gotten kinda safe and lazy and refuse to fix the horrible problems that plaque there games, not even talking about the poor combat.

I do wish curt and 38 studios weren't so set on making that MMO though, market is saturated with them already and I don't see them making anything super crazy that sets it apart. It probably won't affect BHG from making another Reckoning, but Id rather 38 try and make there own single player RPG set in amular, make it different enough where both games could exists as there own franchises, maybe even make it a party centric turn based game or something crazy.

After playing the demo I think they would be much better suited for action rpgs. The MMO will probably be good, but it will just be another MMO that I will quit after one week and go back to WoW. The potential with this series is huge and I hate the idea of seeing it wasted on an MMO.

Reading over on the official forums, I was reminded of some very cool features this game will have. Not only can you own a house, but you eventually can own a castle, and even an island fortress. One of the homes even has underground mines that grow and expand as you upgrade your home. Which of course changes as you upgrade it as well.

In your home you can sleep to heal, store loot, do smithing and alchemy, change your appearance and even have a pet monster, lol. It is certainly nothing we have not seen before, but a welcome feature all the same. Anyway, just thought this was worth mentioning for those who were unaware.
All of that sounds so awesome... you may have tipped me over the fence to the "buy" side of things...

After playing the demo I think they would be much better suited for action rpgs. The MMO will probably be good, but it will just be another MMO that I will quit after one week and go back to WoW. The potential with this series is huge and I hate the idea of seeing it wasted on an MMO.
Agreed. I have a personal policy against playing MMO's to begin with so from my perspective it is wasted potential right out of the gate, regardless of quality.

Wallach

Yeah, the amount of content they seem to have packed into the game is pretty large. Makes the demo seem like it is selling the game a little short, since you only get to see the game at its least complex and narrowest scope. Suppose that is part of the game when you need to demo a huge single-player RPG, though.

ReaperXL7

Well they have two studios, Big Huge is making reckoning, 38 the MMO. As long as Reckoning is successful they have plans for more SP RPGs in the Amalur universe. Big Huge will need something to do of course.

Astra

Are we seriously arguing about the lack of a jump button? The game obviously doesn't need one because it was developed without the need for it. Do you guys not play Zelda because it doesn't have a jump button? Come on.

While I agree that the lack of a jump button isn't a very big deal at all, Zelda does have a climbing mechanic, and you can jump off any ledge. It just frees up exploration a bit.
As another poster mentioned, it's jarring when you're stopped by a knee high fence.
Also having to run the long way around when there is a small ledge you could jump down as a shortcut.

Again, it's not a very big deal, and it won't hinder my enjoyment of the game, but it does have a noticeable absence in a game promoting freedom of exploration. If not jump, then at least the ability to climb or step over small obstacles, and drop down small ledges.

That's pretty awesome. Haha, pet monster.
I wonder how long it'll take before money becomes no object in this game. Always a problem in these types of games. Didn't take very long for me to become insanely rich in Skyrim where money was no object at all.
Castle and Island Fortress? Seems like there's a hell of a financial goal to strive for here.

Whoa that is cool, I had no idea.

Khezu

Well they have two studios, Big Huge is making reckoning, 38 the MMO. As long as Reckoning is successful they have plans for more SP RPGs in the Amalur universe. Big Huge will need something to do of course.

I just have a fear there might be betting everything on the MMO and if it fails they will go under and take BHG with them.

Rad Agast

Nothing in the demo you can't kill just by mashing the attack button. Doing a roll now and then will make it so that you don't need potions either.

I hate stunlocks either player or AI and I hate being trapped in long animations when what I really want to do is something else.

You can Roll/Block cancel light(er) attacks all day long. Heavy and final combo chain attacks can't be cancelled if I remember correctly. I don't see a problem with it personally.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, the amount of content they seem to have packed into the game is pretty large. Makes the demo seem like it is selling the game a little short, since you only get to see the game at its least complex and narrowest scope. Suppose that is part of the game when you need to demo a huge single-player RPG, though.

Agreed there. People writing this game off based on the tutorial and running around the first tiny area of the game will be selling it far short of what it actually is going to be. Hell, I can't even recall the times that I was disappointed in demos for much smaller games, yet ended up absolutely loving the full experience. Now, put that into context with a huge, content packed RPG with 200 hours worth of stuff to do. To say that this little teaser of an old build is not doing the full game justice would be an understatement.

I've played the demo 5 times now and the only thing Amalur is missing to be super awesome is 3 to 4 player co-op. An MMO is completely unnecessary as is a jump mechanic.

ReaperXL7

I may not be able to link from my phone, but here is a camera feedback thread by one of the leads.

http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/showthread.php?2485-Your-feedback!-(particularly-camera)

Going to post the information here straight:

This post is from Joe Quadera: Lead combat designer from the Reckoning forums.

Hi all,

I want to say that I've been reading just about every forum post that I possibly can. I don't have as much time as I'd like to be writing in depth responses, but I'm deeply interested in everything you have to say! The comments have been great (even when they are critical). The way we get better here at BHG and 38 is to be open to all criticism - so with that in mind, let's talk a bit about the camera!

Disclaimer: I cannot comment on any possible fixes, as that type of action requires many more people, technical hurdles, and all sorts of things beyond my individual control. I am seeking feedback here as the owner of the camera system, and because I want to get a clear sense of what you, the player, are experiencing.

First: what really helps me is if you include this info with your feedback whenever talking about controls:
- What platform (PC, X360, PS3) you are using, if PC - are you using a Keyboard and Mouse or controller?
- What resolution you are using? Really what I'm looking for here is whether you are playing in widescreen or standard.

Second, and this is the most important, be detailed describing the problem you are having. One post in particular by GreatGreen included comparison screenshots to get very specific feedback about the camera height and distance. I don't expect everyone to use screenshots, but just keep in mind that describing the problem in detail helps me a lot when sorting through your feedback. The team here at BHG knows that I always ask "What is the problem you are trying to solve?". If you ever have trouble with a description, just ask yourself that question

So here's a short example:

Description: The camera is too close to my character.
Platform: X360
Resolution: 1080

Thanks everyone!

One of the many reasons these devs seem so awesome. They respond to so much that other devs would just ignore, or push back onto the fans. I really hope they are successful.

nel e nel

When was the last time life required you to jump? I mean, do you run-jump all the way to the bus stop? Do you jump over the tub edge to get into the shower? Do you jump your way up a staircase?

I get missing it because it's been so common in games since forever, but it's not gamebreaking. Might be a deal breaker, but not a game breaker.

Interfectum

When was the last time life required you to jump? I mean, do you run-jump all the way to the bus stop? Do you jump over the tub edge to get into the shower? Do you jump your way up a staircase?

I get missing it because it's been so common in games since forever, but it's not gamebreaking. Might be a deal breaker, but not a game breaker.

It's neither a game nor a deal breaker. It just sticks out at certain spots. I see a group of enemies and I want to 'jump' down and kill them. But I can't until i find a certain hotspot that allows me to do it. It's annoying. Again, not a deal breaker just archaic. The only deal breaker I found in this demo is possibly the camera.

lol at all this "immersion" and "realism" bs. It's a freaking video game. I want to jump because it's fun.

But yeah, hardly something to get hung up about for this game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's neither a game nor a deal breaker. It just sticks out at certain spots. I see a group of enemies and I want to 'jump' down and kill them. But I can't until i find a certain hotspot that allows me to do it. It's annoying. Again, not a deal breaker just archaic. The only deal breaker I found in this demo is possibly the camera.

Well you don't necessarily need to jump then. Your issue is with the invisible walls on ledges. THAT I agree with. It's a bit annoying.

The 1st reply says it all.
If the just add the option of "free camera", problem solved.

Yep. I think if the camera was 100% free and let you zoom in and out at your leisure, the camera would be a 10x better.

The camera also seems to have this weird sense of inertia, where it accelerates as you spin it, and then has a slight deceleration when you let go of the stick.

bestami

Just played this. Normally i wouldn't even try to jump in RPGs but because of the camera and linearity in the demo level, the first thing i tried was jumping. To me game felt like an action game more than an rpg at first sight. If camera wasn't so close i probably wouldn't even try jumping.

With that said, even at the start i was kinda disappointed since i was looking forward to this game, i enjoyed my time with it and i'm looking forward to playing more. Oh and i too do have some framerate problems but nothing major.

ironcreed

Banned
New screens:

3b3a24a21d48f3624ef81705d5a9124c.jpg

da1fb6fa257dc6a4e73b9ac55b6a31dd.jpg

dcedf5f4b5e37b8a77c4124850271b4e.jpg

f07d8cd336e00397c2c60084dcb94aea.jpg

4481d5e06bba6bff119d3c6770bdf1d6.jpg

6e0de6f8bfb0b978c418362f05f7ac09.jpg

More:

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-...ms-of-amalur-reckoning-picture#slide=42324786

Lain

Lack of a jump button is up there with invisible walls that prevent you from entering the water. It's bullshit as far as I'm concerned. It's the most disappointing thing about the game.
Also I disagree about the game not needing it. In my experience with the demo, the game needs a jump button when it comes to exploration. The experience and immersion would gain a lot from a jump button (and a removal of those invisible walls), because there is nothing worse than seeing something cool and be prevented from reaching it as you have no ability to jump over the obstacle blocking you (or because an invisible wall prevents you from dropping down).

eXistor

I've got the game pre-ordered (PC version), so I just wanted to see if my pc could properly play the game, meaning I skipped all the cutscenes and such and just ran through the tutorial to get to the outside stuff. Well, it runs flawlessly, so I'm definitely gonna play the PC version and I have to say I'm quite pleased with the little I played so far.

The few real complaints I have so far (and again, I did not play this intensively, just for about 20-30 minutes just to see how the game would run) are the level designs and lack of world interaction. The tutorial area I can forgive, but the outside seemed quite restrictive as well and the one dungeon I went in just had a few seemingly random corridors. Also little to no height differences, just flat lay-outs. I hate stuff like this, I want to lose myself in a world and bad level design is the first thing to stop this from happening. But we'll see what the final product brings.

Also, The last 3 big games I've played are Skyrim, Skyward Sword and Dark Souls. These games have perfect world interaction. The world is designed around what the player can do, meaning there's very little wasted space in these games (yes, even Skyrim to an extent) and the player can interact with just about everything he sees. Zelda always does this expertly. You feel like the character you're controlling belongs in this place and everything just works.

Amalur is one of those games where most of the environments are just backdrops for some limited gameplay. There are boxes to be destroyed in an obvious manner, behind which are a surprising number of chests (there's really no better way to hide these?). There is no reason to look at backgrounds, because there is no way to interact with them. You can't fall down cliffs, there are invisible walls all over the place and the map reveals any explorable spot instantly, robbing the player of any satisfaction he'd get from finding out stuff himself.

On the plus side the game looks pleasant, very WoW-like which is no bad thing in my book and it's smooth as shit. The controls work fine and the combat is like Fable's, a combat system which I like very much, not sure why it's hated on so much. It doesn't seem to do anything new, but I think it gonna be a fun little rpg. It seems quite rpg-light though, focusing more on fun that on deep gameplay. I don't think this is something that's gonna wind up hurting the game though, it seems quite confident in what it gives us.

The demo at least convinced me that I'm still gonna have to play the game, but I had confidence it would deliver. Might just be a sleeper-hit.

ReaperXL7

These screens show ways in which the world opens up in my opinion,

5812.jpg

Nature4.jpg

4x3-AlabastraVista_1024x768.jpg

I think the first area featured in the demo seems abit small, if you look at different screens i've seen around of local map screens the areas look much larger then the one featured in the demo.

Looted a few different scepters off some corpses and TBH they felt too OP.

spam scepter = win button

Has anyone come across chakrams in the demo?

Top Bottom