• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur demo impressions thread [Up On 360/Origin/Steam/U.S. PSN]

Wallach

Sounds a bit like Curt's shilling (nyaaaaa) but the guy is actually not a fraud when it comes to gaming. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing the return of some decent-sized expansion content rather than more bite-sized DLC.

Brashnir

I'm trying to figure out how they got my email address...

Have you played any of their games that make you sign in to their servers (Mass Effect 2, either Dragon Age, NFS: Hot Pursuit, and I imagine anything else released in the same timeframe)

If so, they've probably got your login info cached on the console/PC you played it on and/or linked to your Xbox Live/PSN account. The demo never asked me to log into their servers, so that's the only way.

chifanpoe

Damn it! I've got to play the demo again.

Is it possible to get to level 4 in the demo?

I believe I made LVL 4 my 2nd time through will a little time left to spare, playing as a dagger/bow build. I got through almost all the quests it would let me finish. I skipped or blasted through chat as fast as I could and ran everywhere.

sinxtanx

Can't invert camera X axis, what the shit?

At least one person working at BHG must have owned a Ps2 or GameCube at some point, right?

Not a huge fan of the demo. Currently I have it on pause, in order to get all the ME3 DLC stuff do I have to complete the demo or anything like that?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What the fuck, is anyone else having as many problems with the demo as I am? Sorry I haven't read the thread but I have to vent. 360 version.

Clipping everywhere, all VA gone and the game after about 10 minutes started skipping through all the dialogue by itself to the end. So yeah there goes any attempt to get into the story. Oh and it just froze on me with probably 5 minutes left to the end of the demo and when I get the rest of my free ME3 shit.

What the fuck is this shit.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What the fuck, is anyone else having as many problems with the demo as I am? Sorry I haven't read the thread but I have to vent. 360 version.

Clipping everywhere, all VA gone and the game after about 10 minutes started skipping through all the dialogue by itself to the end. So yeah there goes any attempt to get into the story. Oh and it just froze on me with probably 5 minutes left to the end of the demo and when I get the rest of my free ME3 shit.

What the fuck is this shit.

Issues from using an old build of the game randomly. They said they are fixed in the current build though

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Issues from using an old build of the game randomly. They said they are fixed in the current build though
I'm salty because I was enjoying it a lot, and it froze on me right near the end. This is pretty demotivating, I don't want to go back and do all those quests again like a chore to get all this stuff back I had.

Now it's just sitting there frozen and I don't know what to do in hope of it unfreezing itself when the time runs out :/

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm salty because I was enjoying it a lot, and it froze on me right near the end. This is pretty demotivating, I don't want to go back and do all those quests again like a chore to get all this stuff back I had.

Now it's just sitting there frozen and I don't know what to do in hope of it unfreezing itself when the time runs out :/

I've played the demo about 6 times now. Lot's of little issues, but I never had a freeze on the pc version.

BrettWeir

Loving the game more and more. Found my first set of Faeblades today .. and if this what items look like in the beginning, I can drool at what they will look like end game. Sorry, I'm a loot whore, and loot whore games have been very absent the past few years.

WZkZC.jpg
[/IMG]

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can I delete the demo after I'm done? How does it track what I have unlocked? I saw it verifying with EA servers, but I don't remember it asking me to log into my account. Is it just tied to my GT?

ghostmind

Going to give this game another chance. I'll be waiting for impressions and reviews to see if the problems I had in the demo are really fixed. There is a lot to like about this game, so I really hope they managed to address things.

eshwaaz

the map reveals any explorable spot instantly, robbing the player of any satisfaction he'd get from finding out stuff himself.
Nicely articulated impressions. I agree with much of what you said, but this is the bit that irks me the most. It's a baffling design decision to make "secrets" appear on the map; I just cannot fathom why anyone thought that was a good idea. Exploration is my favorite aspect of these kinds of games, and they destroyed any sense of discovery by literally showing you where the secret locations are.

Kaizer

Banned
I can't get the demo to work either, it gets stuck loading on a black screen with the music playing after I press start. Have tried about four times now.

Why wont this demo end! Ive had my guy sitting here for like an hour now. And Ive killed everyone in the towns... do I need to do a quest or something? T_T

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Some people have been absolutely brutal to this game, I loved the demo (xbxo360) really looking forward to the release.
I liked the game a lot more, especially considering I just came for the Mass Effect stuff, but there are so many technical issues that it's left a bad taste in my mouth. The only worse demo/beta of a game I've played is BF3 I think.

Why wont this demo end! Ive had my guy sitting here for like an hour now. And Ive killed everyone in the towns... do I need to do a quest or something? T_T
Maybe you've had it paused for a lot of the time? Did you at least get the initial 45 minute warning after doing the first quest once you got out?

shaowebb

Yeah I don't get all the trolls at all. I'm playing PC over here and its kick ass. Best combat in a deep RPG I've ever seen, tons to discover, tons of sidequests, rewarding levelup system lets you enjoy having any skill combination you want to try without the need for overkill point dumping to be good, and this is just the demo portion of what we've had to enjoy.

Maybe folks want to rage because graphically it underwhelms after Skyrim, but at least this game feels rewarding to me to play with its combat and level system. Maybe thats just my opinion though.

The game states that it doesn't count dialogue, menu time spent, or load times as part of your 45 minute demo. Maybe thats why you still got play time. Just head Northeast outta town and hitup the woods. Lots of hidden stuff there and a whole other Fae town in the woods to mess with to the north.

Clydefrog

I played the PC demo for over an hour last night up to the point where it said “you now have 45 minutes left before we kick you out of the game”. The gameplay was really fun but most everything else felt unpolished. The story didn’t really interest me so I doubt there’s much they can do about that. I did create a character that looked like Patrick Stewart, so that was cool. I have faith they will fix a lot of the mechanical issues people are having as well as streamline the aesthetic issues like the inventory, camera, etc before the game comes out. If not, then this game will not be worth it, especially at a $60 rate.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a very similar game that came out cheaper called Divinity 2: Ego Draconis. Granted, that game had a LOT of problems when it first came out; they basically released it before it was finished. They “re-released” the game later under a different name called Divinty 2: The Dragon Knight Saga. It ran great, well-polished, and was a really fun, 40-hour action RPG lootfest for $20. I think you could get it during Steam’s holiday sale for $5 as a daily deal. If you liked this Kingdoms of Amalur demo, go buy Divinity 2 (you can jump in it!!)

As long as they fix the issues before release (which seems like they would have to do so awfully quick), this game should be well-received and do quite well. I’m still not going to pay $60 for it though. Oh and that logging into EA stuff and receiving random items for other games was weird. Mass Effect 3 item… huh?

VandalD

Some weapons do have moves make your character jump, the fae blades i've seen a few times have moves like that. You can also use ranged weapons to juggle enemies like bows, and septers.
Didn't notice that about the fae blades. Cool. Don't know why I didn't think of juggling with ranged weapons. That should be a no brainer.
did you play the house of ballad quest?
No, I didn't do/find that quest, but it's good to know someone found a challenge somewhere in the demo. If someone else did in all these pages, I guess I missed it.
Maybe folks want to rage because graphically it underwhelms after Skyrim, but at least this game feels rewarding to me to play with its combat and level system. Maybe thats just my opinion though.
I share your opinion. It's not the prettiest game, but even with the technical issues I've had, I still had fun playing it, and can see it has potential. There isn't much they need to fix in order for me to enjoy it.
Off the top of my head, I can think of a very similar game that came out cheaper called Divinity 2: Ego Draconis.
Seems like a decent RPG, but I don't remember the combat being as fluid as in Amalur. I don't remember being able to block or dodge in that game. Maybe I was doing it wrong.

Yea it finally kicked me out right after I posted it wouldnt.

But yea, I echo a lot of the opinions others have had. It feels like it came out on Xbox 1 and they redid some of it for 360. The resolution doesn't even feel HD...

Saw that this is currently the third highest selling item on Steam right now.

I decided to pitch in.

You hear this, EA? This is my money talking here.

Mrbob

I don't think EA has anything to do with the Steam release.

I really enjoyed the demo, but I have some other RPG games to finish. I'm going to pick this up but will probably wait for a price drop or sale.

the demo was pretty fun combat wise but I couldn't get into the story and the world feels cramped and uninteresting. I didn't see much dialog choice and the talking head animations are godawful. All of the graphics are mediocre at best

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
the demo was pretty fun combat wise but I couldn't get into the story and the world feels cramped and uninteresting. I didn't see much dialog choice and the talking head animations are godawful. All of the graphics are mediocre at best
Yeah the story and world seem VERY uninteresting. I like the little animations on the things you can harvest but even from the trailer everything looks very bland and for lack of better words, generic. The art design is pretty passable and that in combination with the graphics looking incredibly dated makes a really bad look. On 360 even the game drops frames dramatically if you go near a waterfall too. I kinda want someone to copy the gameplay of this though and put it into something higher budget, because the combat is the redeeming feature her and 99% of the reason why I had fun.

Also:
Can I delete the demo after I'm done? How does it track what I have unlocked? I saw it verifying with EA servers, but I don't remember it asking me to log into my account. Is it just tied to my GT?
Anyone?

Khezu

I kinda want someone to copy the gameplay of this though and put it into something higher budget, because the combat is the redeeming feature her and 99% of the reason why I had fun.

I doubt it, at least from the west, only real hope is if it does well we can get a AC1>AC2 scenario.

Its a modern western RPG so I have no hope the story will be good, but the world is pretty big, gotta be more interesting areas then this forest somewhere.

spirity

Somebody mentioned earlier you could start the demo after the well of souls part (where the game opens up). Is this true, I couldn't find such an option. I suspect tomfoolery.

shaowebb

Just played through again intent on making a mage. Ended up discovering the joy of putting everything into sceptres. Rapid fire shots of fire w/ some lightning stats with the Static sceptre were awesome and I finally got a launcher to work! Launcher type move hit then sceptre spam to juggle like it was Mortal Kombat. Right as it ended this time I had pushed as far southeast as I could an killed some big bastard with a spear and when looting the corpse he had a knife on him named after him. I reaaaaaaaally wanted to check its stats but the demo ended right there. Also I found Amman's key in a loot pile. No idea what it opens up. Found a magic veil, found a big damned static hammer (slow but McThuddins all around <3)found an electric bow, and found a bunch of the Red Legion and the great alchemist who was getting dumber without potions. So much fun here.

Graphics keep growing on me the more areas I find. So much color and life to this RPG. Art style may be a bit dated, but for a game with this much poured into it I'm fine that some of the art time may have been cut to add more content elsewhere. So much combat and story to find. Also I saw something at Arden's house to the south east. You guys should go there ;D

Hannar

Somebody mentioned earlier you could start the demo after the well of souls part (where the game opens up). Is this true, I couldn't find such an option. I suspect tomfoolery.

Once you've completed the tutorial section, any subsequent play through can start after exiting the Well of Souls. It presents you with that option when starting a new game.

spirity

Once you've completed the tutorial section, any subsequent play through can start after exiting the Well of Souls. It presents you with that option when starting a new game.

Weird, that isn't happening for me. I have to go through the whole thing right from the start.

Maffis

I think you must have logged into an eu account first though. I couldn't skip through until I did that.

shaowebb

I'm too weak not to check this out. God I love this sort of stuff

Dunka Dunka Dunka Dunk
Giggity is all I'm saying. McFarlane was DEFINITELY at work on what's awaiting you there. Screen shot it.

If you made it to Arden's house it looks like the story is meant to heat up outside the demo after that point. A mystery is afoot...

Also anyword whether or not the PC version for pre-order on Amazon is Steamworks? Not the download version but the disc one (hell either one really...)I wanna use Steam for this game, and I'd like to get that alchemical dowsing pre-order bonus ability from amazon since I love the crafting system for alchemy.

Top Bottom