• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur demo impressions thread [Up On 360/Origin/Steam/U.S. PSN]

bengraven

Wow, I knew R. Salvatore was writing this, but I had no idea at the other talent behind this. McFarlane sending in creature designs, Ken motherfucking Morrowind Rolston as lead designer...

Loxley

Wow, I knew R. Salvatore was writing this, but I had no idea at the other talent behind this. McFarlane sending in creature designs, Ken motherfucking Morrowind Rolston as lead designer...

Yep, Schilling clearly wanted to come out swinging with 38 Studios' first game by sweeping up some great talent.

ReaperXL7

On that page it shows I have unlocked 'Chakram Launcher' and 'Reckoner-Knight'. Is there supposed to be anything else? For some reason I seem to recall a lot of popup messages telling me about stuff I had unlocked when I was playing the demo.

The rest of the stuff is unloackables for the full retail release of Reckoning.

Tried playing it on steam and all I got was a black screen and tv saying mode not supported...this is silly...anyone know how to fix this? Using geforce9800gt

ReaperXL7

Tried playing it on steam and all I got was a black screen and tv saying mode not supported...this is silly...anyone know how to fix this? Using geforce9800gt

from what i've seen you have to turn off post processing. that should fix the issue, it's apprently been dealt with in the retail version though.

Played it one more time as a rogue, putting points into the far left bottom finesse skill. It kinda made the game feel like Too Human (in a good way). Then I put a point into harpoon and it felt like WoW (deathknight), but what a cool combo it is to harpoon someone followed by some dagger action.

It really is, and I'm glad they're addressing it before release.

Are they though? Seems like it's too late to do that before release, especially given that Joe, who is in charge of making the change, just yesterday asked people for input on what they wanted. I get the impression that 38 Studios and BHG think the camera is fine. 2-3 weeks to get a consensus on what the masses want, design it, approve it, code it, and then test it is really not something I think we'll see happen. And wouldn't pulling the camera back on the console versions introduce all kinds of framerate issues? When I first played the demo, my immediate thought was that they're making me feel claustrophobic with the camera in order to maintain the framerate.

My one wish is that they cap the framerate on the PS3 before release. If they can't, I'm going 360. It's really annoying to watch my character stutter step while running because the framerate is bouncing around between what appears to be 60 and 20.

Beyond the (pretty iffy) mouse acceleration I don't see what the problem is with the camera (outside of it going wacky on me one time while I was playing). It is going for action game combat. The point of the camera is to zoom in automatically so you can see the tells for the enemies moves, and then zoom out when it decides multiple enemies are a threat. I did not check for this game, but normally in action games when enemies are off-screen they either will not attack at all or attack much less. On a controller you would not be controlling the camera (for the most part) when fighting because you will be hitting face buttons during combat. If you think the camera is too zoomed in outside of combat, then maybe I guess.

Beyond the mouse acceleration I don't see what the problem is with the camera (outside of it going wacky on me one time while I was playing). It is going for action game combat. The point of the camera is to zoom in automatically so you can see the tells for the enemies moves, and then zoom out when it decides multiple enemies are a threat. On a controller you would not be controlling the camera (for the most part) when fighting because you will be hitting face buttons during combat. If you think the camera is too zoomed in outside of combat, then maybe I guess.

I love the game, but my main issues all seem to involve the camera:

- too close when just exploring the environment

- doesn't follow me properly...ever. I shouldnt have to babysit the camera

- Hitting R3 centers the camera, but does so by refreshing the screen, which is pretty jarring. I'd prefer it swung around (personal opinion)

- in numerous fights I've had against 5 or more enemies, I'll be getting attacked from behind by an offscreen enemy. I turn to face/attack them and the camera just stupidly sits there allowing me to continue to be attacked by an off-screen enemy. Swivel that damn camera for me so I can see my opponent. Instead it just sits there forcing me to stop attacking and mess with the camera myself.

With all that said, I can't get enough of the game. It feeds some primal urge I appear to have to kill shit and then loot it.

Can't say I played it a ton (just 1/2 of the timer - decided I had seen enough to warrant a purchase, eventually). I also did not try the controller so I don't know if it auto-controls the camera enough for it. Maybe if I had played it more I would have gotten annoyed by the camera.

tomedo

Played the pc demo yesterday. Had zero issues, game ran at 60 fps and graphics are much nicer than I thought they would be for a first release from new developer. Camera could be better yes but as some have already stated I think they are zooming in to show the action better. I did get hit to back multiple times though and many of those times I could have easily dodged had I seen the enemy better. I do not understand people complaing about the UI, its fast and functional (which is much more important than looks).

Tenck

Game didn't let me run it at 1200p, let alone 1080p :/

Combat was smooth and so was the whole game. Unfortunately it crashed when I picked up the longbow from one of those grunts ;_;

Game seemed enjoyable from the very little I played.

Amory

Oof, extremely unimpressed so far, and I was really looking forward to this game. Last gen graphics, boring enemies (and I had some frame rate choppiness when swinging my sword against them...), generic dialogue, even the menu animations seem to stutter.

I was gonna preorder, but I guess I can wait and see what happens with the price. I'm guessing it's gonna drop. Pretty fast. If amazon was offering one of those $20 rebates I'd preorder though.

Tenck

Oof, extremely unimpressed so far, and I was really looking forward to this game. Last gen graphics, boring enemies (and I had some frame rate choppiness when swinging my sword against them...), generic dialogue, even the menu animations seem to stutter.

I was gonna preorder, but I guess I can wait and see what happens with the price. I'm guessing it's gonna drop. Pretty fast. If amazon was offering one of those $20 rebates I'd preorder though.

Last gen graphics? If anything, it's nice and colorful, and some decent detail.

Amory

Last gen graphics? If anything, it's nice and colorful, and some decent detail.

Well sure. It's colorful. But at the very least the character models could have been done on a PS2 or xbox, or close to it.

Plus I just saw an animation where rocks fell from the ceiling...directly through the floor. And NPCs speaking dialogue only move their mouth about 20% of the time. There are definitely issues.

Edit: Mouth moved fine in my latest interaction with an NPC, so I dunno what was happening earlier.

Preorder a game that you are so unimpressed with, if you could save $20? Sounds a bit silly.

But I liked the demo.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yep, Schilling clearly wanted to come out swinging with 38 Studios' first game by sweeping up some great talent.

GATDAM, I totally forgot about him being a part of this. He was on the Herd or something a bit ago and I always forget.

Now I want to buy it to support him. It's actually an enjoyable game.

^^ yeah this game SHOULD be a lot more polished than it is actually... still fun but you know how it goes when the say something will be fixed for the full game, nothing is fixed 90% of the time

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
^^ yeah this game SHOULD be a lot more polished than it is actually... still fun but you know how it goes when the say something will be fixed for the full game, nothing is fixed 90% of the time

It's a demo, remember that. Not that this matters to me on PC, I had only a few audio cut outs but I'm sure that will be fixed by retail. It was a solid 60 with no compromises.

ParityBit

Its a 4 month old build we are playing, and the demo was not cut by the developers actually working on the game. All these key points (including the fact the camera is fixed, etc) should be in the OP. We see so many of the rehashed complaints.

deadlast

I'm playing the Demo on the Xbox and have ran into some serious issues.

1. I could not talk to all of the character that had dialog ques available. This happened before meeting with the professor and after the doorway to the well of souls collapses.
2. Some of the dialogue sequences did not have any sound.
3. Some dialogue sequences seem to fast forward through the entire dialogue cut scene.
4. Then the game froze.

Has anyone else experienced these issues?

ParityBit

I'm playing the Demo on the Xbox and have ran into some serious issues.

1. I could not talk to all of the character that had dialog ques available. This happened before meeting with the professor and after the doorway to the well of souls collapses.
2. Some of the dialogue sequences did not have any sound.
3. Some dialogue sequences seem to fast forward through the entire dialogue cut scene.
4. Then the game froze.

Has anyone else experienced these issues?

I have seen 1,2 and 3. According to the dev posts on the forum they have all been fixed. (A while ago too)

Its a 4 month old build we are playing, and the demo was not cut by the developers actually working on the game. All these key points (including the fact the camera is fixed, etc) should be in the OP. We see so many of the rehashed complaints.
That's good to know. I haven't tried the demo myself (don't feel like waiting for 2GB download), but from what I've seen on youtube, there's a lot of bugs and looks extremely unpolished. I was getting pretty worried since the release date is right around the corner now.

I also dig the avatar. Great episode. :)

oh ok if that is truly the case then and that stuff WILL be fixed for final release then i am good to go with this one :)

My 360 froze in the tutorial area right after learning stealth kills. I hit X behind one of the two archers and it froze. I really don't want to do the tutorial again but I'm going to for that Mass Effect weapon.

Canceled my pre-order. Will buy the game if there's going to be an option too zoom out the camera. A designer opened a topic on the forums about feedback, particulary about the camera, so I have hopes they'll do something about it.

Wallach

Just played out the timer. Really enjoyed it. The camera is pretty bad, though :-/

My only real problem with the demo; I pretty much love everything else. I'm pretty confident that these guys are working on it, though. It's clear that they came prepared for the feedback and aren't just going to let it go unheard. I'm not that worried about it.

Game didn't let me run it at 1200p, let alone 1080p :/

Combat was smooth and so was the whole game. Unfortunately it crashed when I picked up the longbow from one of those grunts ;_;

Game seemed enjoyable from the very little I played.

I also thought it crashed but you have to scroll your mouse wheel.

jkoch

Even if you could jump, wouldn't they have just raised the height of the fences?

I don't think I've ever played a WRPG in which jumping added anything to the experience beyond glitch jumping over mountains or cheap shoting enemies from atop a rock in Bethesda Games (neither of which were intended as gameplay mechanics).

I don't care all that much about a jump button, but it seems odd to me that you can launch an enemy but then you can't jump up to continue attacking him.

I love the demo, but I'm skeptical about their claim that they're the anti-Bethesda in that they intend to test the game so much we won't find any bugs. Did they not apply this policy to the demo? I'm assuming most of us here saw at least 2 or 3 of the bugs on the very first trip through the demo. And they're not just small bugs either. They're huge. The only excuse I can think of is they knew bugs existed and said "we can live with it like this, just get it out." With a new IP you should put your best foot forward to attract gamers, but in this case it looks like that foot stepped in shit first. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt since they don't have a history either way of lying to fans, but if it releases and has this many bugs and problems, they get tossed on the heap with every one else that's lied to sell a game. Actually 'lied' may be too strong a word. 'Overstated' perhaps.

evilalien

Why would they bother spending a lot of effort fixing bugs for a demo that was branched off 4 months ago? They've been spending most of their time fixing bugs for the full version as they should be.

Why would they bother spending a lot of effort fixing bugs for a demo that was branched off 4 months ago? They've been spending most of their time fixing bugs for the full version as they should be.

To not give gamers the impression that the final game is going to be a bug-riddled turd maybe?

ced

Canceled my pre-order. Will buy the game if there's going to be an option too zoom out the camera. A designer opened a topic on the forums about feedback, particulary about the camera, so I have hopes they'll do something about it.

This is my feeling as well. I don't think they will get any camera adjustments in for the GM, so it will probably be down the road in a patch. Soon as that's in it's a buy.

I also find it odd that we have so many demo apologists here. I don't care how old, or who put it together, it's their representation of the game and it is not a good one.

I love the demo, but I'm skeptical about their claim that they're the anti-Bethesda in that they intend to test the game so much we won't find any bugs. Did they not apply this policy to the demo? I'm assuming most of us here saw at least 2 or 3 of the bugs on the very first trip through the demo. And they're not just small bugs either. They're huge. The only excuse I can think of is they knew bugs existed and said "we can live with it like this, just get it out." With a new IP you should put your best foot forward to attract gamers, but in this case it looks like that foot stepped in shit first. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt since they don't have a history either way of lying to fans, but if it releases and has this many bugs and problems, they get tossed on the heap with every one else that's lied to sell a game. Actually 'lied' may be too strong a word. 'Overstated' perhaps.

Well all software of this scale will have bugs - it's inevitable. I assume, if they did claim to be the 'anti-Bethesda' they meant the game wouldn't suffer from game-breaking bugs in the same way New Vegas did.

Either way the development team have claimed the demo was based on old code and farmed out to an external EA team, so we can't really base our initial impressions on their quality assurance from it should we choose to trust their comments.

It's my understanding that EA made the demo so to speak, not Big Huge, plus it's based on an old build anyway.

It's my understanding that EA made the demo so to speak, not Big Huge, plus it's based on an old build anyway.

Yeah I get that. I'm honestly fine with it, but I can't fault anyone for being turned off by the sheer number of obvious glitches in the demo, especially if they're experiencing freezing or the entire dialogue sections being skipped.

My biggest problem with the demo so far has been the uncapped framerate on the PS3 version. My brain tells me they'd never release the final game like that. If they do, 360 here I come.

Rokal

Finished the demo this morning. I love the art style and the monster designs. The UI could use work (especially the dialogue screens), and the story didn't seem especially interesting. My main complaint with the game is that it just felt much too easy. The combat was boring because none of the enemies posed any risk. I wish they had allowed us to try hard mode in the demo, or otherwise gave us a taste of some more challenging content in the game.

Finished the demo this morning. I love the art style and the monster designs. The UI could use work (especially the dialogue screens), and the story didn't seem especially interesting. My main complaint with the game is that it just felt much too easy. The combat was boring because none of the enemies posed any risk. I wish they had allowed us to try hard mode in the demo, or otherwise gave us a taste of some more challenging content in the game.

The only time I felt any challenge was in the boss room at the end of the House of Ballads quest. 3 or 4 poisonous boggarts attacking me while the boss was. If I didnt have a potion, I would have died there, but fortunately a potion and a well-timed Reckoning Mode took care of that room. It's interesting to see how they're populating the world with stronger enemies as you level up in the demo. Once I hit level 3 I start seeing the purple and red dogs and the regular boggarts become poison boggarts.

ironcreed

Banned
Impressions based on 4 hour hands-on from Newb Review:

"We recently had the privilege to be allowed complete access to the entirety of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning with only a strict “you have 4 hours” limit to what we could see and do…

Now you might be thinking “Wow, 4 hours! That’s a huge amount of time! Did you manage to complete it or anything?”.

OK, let me put that thought quickly and ruthlessly to bed. Not a chance.

It has been stated by the developers that you will need 10 times as long just to complete the game’s main story line. I suspect 40 hours to complete would require not only some fairly focused sprinting, but also an almost callus disregard for the workmanship involved.

Why is that? Well many games have a visionary at their helm, a respected leader in their field pouring their passion, skill and experience into making the game all it can be. KoAR has, erm… three. Yes, as many of you will know, and all of you certainly should, not only is the legendary Ken Rolston responsible for quests, missions and the like, the excellent R.A. Salvatore has created a 10,000 year literary history of the highest quality for the world and the hallowed Todd McFarlane has led a mammoth artistic effort to give unique identities to the world’s races, cities, environments, creatures, cultures and combat."

The rest here:

http://newbreview.com/2012/01/20/preview-kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-updated-impressions/

Top Bottom