• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingsman - (Second) Best action movie of 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
I feel like this captured the essence of the Bond films much better than the current Bond films do. SLJ needs to do more villain roles.

Also one thing I really liked was the team essence. The Bond films never give the audience an appreciation of the other 00s other than Goldeneye. Here you get an appreciation of the general skill level of the Kingsmen. It also made it feel more like an actual organization.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It was a lot of fun and I recommend it but in terms of action it's nothing 5/5 amazing.

I would probably watch it again.

Fun movie with Vaughn's patented unpolished execution. What on earth was with that terrible driving backwards from the cops scene?

Felt like it needed another draft.

Fun nonetheless. Sam Jackson owns the film.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Fun movie with Vaughn's patented unpolished execution. What on earth was with that terrible driving backwards from the cops scene?

You misspelled Colin Firth.

kai3345

Banned
What a weird fucking movie. I liked it for the most part though

I can't get that fucking
McDonald's
scene out of my head

Rootbeer

Banned
That church scene... just, goddamn.

This is a must see action film.

There are rumors that Vaughn could be doing a Star Wars film. Please, please... bring it on.

That church scene... just, goddamn.

This is a must see action film.

There are rumors that Vaughn could be doing a Star Wars film. Please, please... bring it on.
His style is just so far away from what I want in a Star Wars film. But we've got people begging Whedon to do a SW film as well so I'm not surprised.

Rootbeer

Banned
His style is just so far away from what I want in a Star Wars film. But we've got people begging Whedon to do a SW film as well so I'm not surprised.

Well we'd best get used to style differentiation in star wars... because it's inevitable now that they are tapping all of these different directors and writers to work on it.

you don't think he'd be a good fit for a bounty hunter film?

would be intense.

duckroll

I really liked it. It was crazy, violent, off the cuffs, rude, but yet so full of energy and fun. It's such a nonsensical celebration of stereotypes, British humor, spycraft, and action, it's really hard not to be taken in by the mood. The casting was really top notch too. Great actors giving their A game for the sort of action movie which is really hard to come by these days. Samuel L Jackson put more effort into this role than all his Marvel appearance combined, and then some. Lol.

I dunno about "best action movie in 2015", since it's only mid-Feb now, but it's one hell of a fun ride.

You know
if a villain threw a party all to myself and offered me some McDonalds masqueraded as gourmet food I think I would join his side.
My entire theater all at once bursted out laughing at that scene. The set up was perfect.

Dmax3901

Fucking loved it.

Such an odd scene to take issue with.

duckroll

I really have to say that there's something very liberating about watching a nutso fun action movie which doesn't hold itself back on the language and violence. It also allows the actors to have that much more fun expressing themselves.

Went and saw this with the missus today. We both absolutely loved it. Really fun movie with some unexpected fun scenes and nice comedy moments.

Church scene was incredible.

Firth owned! Such a great role. Sam Jackson was great too.

Also, the whole 'class' aspect was really off putting. Yeah, the toffs were portrayed as ~bad people~, but ultimately the message of the film was how it is good to no longer be working class, and become a 'gentleman'. Eggsy was 'special', he wasn't 'supposed' to be working class, and he was rescued from the awful life where everyone is a thug, women have no agency and life is an unending misery. The right way to live is to be an upper class 'gentleman', and not be an obvious dick about it.

I didn't quite get that working class put down from the message. Like Mark Strong's character says, the main character has
a chip on his shoulder about thinking him being working class means prejudice all the time when he founds out he also had a parachute. On both the upper class and working class sides, it's all the (young) men that are mostly assholes but the women are good-natured. He brings some "gentlemanly" training back but it seemed more a mix otherwise he and his mom would have gotten enough money from the Kingsman to leave that place completely if the movie was trying to say that becoming a gentleman is the only positive way. All he does is sort out the abusive step dad. I'll agree it's simplistic but not directionally malicious to one or the other.
Just got out. If I had to rank Kingsman, not as good as The Raid movies like Messo said, but definitely up there with John Wick and I enjoyed it more than Dredd. Holy shit, the
church scene
here wiped the floor with John Wick's nightclub scene IMO, and the whole final action scene was fantastic too.

Overall, an awesome movie from start to finish.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it :)

Currygan, what's wrong with you? lol

DeathyBoy

Banned
I really liked it. It was crazy, violent, off the cuffs, rude, but yet so full of energy and fun. It's such a nonsensical celebration of stereotypes, British humor, spycraft, and action, it's really hard not to be taken in by the mood. The casting was really top notch too. Great actors giving their A game for the sort of action movie which is really hard to come by these days. Samuel L Jackson put more effort into this role than all his Marvel appearance combined, and then some. Lol.

I dunno about "best action movie in 2015", since it's only mid-Feb now, but it's one hell of a fun ride.

Word.

Beyond baffling to me that SLJ is playing the most boring version of Nick Fury imaginable. And then shows up here and looks like he's having the time of his life playing an absolutely ridiculous character who's every bit of dialogue is hilarious.

And the vomiting...

Anyone else feel a bit disconcerted about the global warming denialism in this movie, then flat out making the villain a Global warming advocate?
And then going so far as to imply Obama would go for such a plot and exploding his head. Plus the blatant Sun newspaper references.
The whole thing ended up seeming a bit like a gross Fox/News propaganda piece with awesome actions scenes.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
ok this thread has convinced me to go and see this movie later today..... I hope it lives up to the reviews in here

AHA-Lambda

Saw it a couple weeks back and absolutely loved it, definitely one of the best action movies I've seen in years and I was surprised at how well Colin Firth fit in an action role.

And yes the church scene is amazing ^_^

Shadownet

Banned
Anyone else feel a bit disconcerted about the global warming denialism in this movie, then flat out making the villain a Global warming advocate?
And then going so far as to imply Obama would go for such a plot and exploding his head. Plus the blatant Sun newspaper references.
The whole thing ended up seeming a bit like a gross Fox/News propaganda piece with awesome actions scenes.

You're overthinking it.

Trike

The first trailer for this was pretty ass. The newer ones were a lot better, but none that I saw really did the film justice. Surprisingly great action movie with some of the most impressive fight scenes I have seen. Colin Firth was fantastic.

So spoiler/sequel speculation talk:
Firth was an absolute badass in this movie, would be great to see him in a sequel despite being dead. Maybe they could have an enemy from the Kingsman's past return, thus having Eggsy dealing with the returning threat and flashbacks of Hart doing his thing in the past. But more badasss action hero Colin Firth would be great.

Sub_Level

The movie was pretty bipartisan. Did you miss the Republican line of dialogue, m8? The far radical right caricatures in the church?

The politics presented can be surmised as: the poor can produce people as good as the rich if given the opportunity.

Sub_Level

Is this better than Kickass?

They are both violent comic book adaptations with a somewhat serious tone but filled with lots of humor.

Hamlet

I'm curious about Box Office, early reports on thursday put this film below American Sniper and Spongebob.

Latest box office update. It's doing quite well.

20th Century Fox’s R-rated guy action film Kingsman: The Secret Service took No. 2 Friday with an estimated $10.5M. The film is expected to hold that spot throughout the weekend, and is bound to rank as star Colin Firth’s biggest opening of his career with a potential three-day of $35M and a four-day of $39.4M. Kingsman will also go down as director Matthew Vaughn’s second biggest bow after 2011’s X-Men: First Class ($55.1M).

There is a god. After the box office performances of Raid 2, Dredd, and Edge of Tomorrow, it's good to see an R-rated action flick doing well

They are both violent comic book adaptations with a somewhat serious tone but filled with lots of humor.
IMO, yes. Better crazier action, more interesting story and more likeable characters, more humor.

kris.

Banned

I liked Kick-Ass. I haven't seen it again since it came out and haven't really had the urge to either.

I want to see this again immediately.

Man, in my country they cut
church scene
and i heard that scene was great :(
still, i really love it, especially
the final battle
was
completely crazy
and the
blowing heads
scene was great too :)

Sub_Level

church scene
the final battle
was
completely crazy
and the
blowing heads

Arguably the best action scene in the film, which goes on for a good 5 minutes or so, was cut? That is disgraceful.

Shadownet

Banned
We need to see more of the other Knights beside Galahad and Lancelot in the sequel.

Wouldn't it be awesome if there was an evil organization with a leader named Mordred? In the sequel.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
church scene
the final battle
was
completely crazy
and the
blowing heads

That is insane that that would get cut. That scene alone is worth the entire movie. I was in awe.

My only complaint is I wanted
lancelot to join in the final fight.

pubba

Oh good! It just started a few days ago here in Thailand. Thanks for the heads up, OP. Saw the trailer before Jupiter Ascending and thought it looked great! Now I just need to think of a way to get out of family duties for a few hours...

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Saw it a second time and it cleared up a few of my complaints that I had
Not seeing much of the other Kingsman made sense given that Arthur was corrupt so they wouldn't know who to trust
Although I still would have liked to have seen more Roxxy especially at the end, it makes sense that Eggsy had to go in as he was replacing Arthur on the list so it had to be a guy

Also there was so much product placement I was surprised it wasnt a sony film. Mcdonalds, Guiness, The Sun, Adidas. Must have helped a lot with the budget quite a lot.

Sub_Level

Also there was so much product placement I was surprised it wasnt a sony film. Mcdonalds, Guiness, The Sun, Adidas. Must have helped a lot with the budget quite a lot.

Now that you mention, yeah there was.

Still wasn't as bad as Transformers 4, which was insane.

Hamlet

Saw it a second time and it cleared up a few of my complaints that I had
Not seeing much of the other Kingsman made sense given that Arthur was corrupt so they wouldn't know who to trust
Although I still would have liked to have seen more Roxxy especially at the end, it makes sense that Eggsy had to go in as he was replacing Arthur on the list so it had to be a guy

I didn't mind the Mcdonalds one as it gave us that delightfully cheesy pun from Colin Firth ha.

Behind-the-scene details on the church scene
Turning to one of your other water-cooler moments, with the church fight, how did you nail down the technical aspects of pulling off the scene?
With a lot of prep. I have a brilliant second unit director/fight choreographer, Brad Allan, and we just sat down. I said, “Brad, I want it to be a ballet of slaughter. I don’t want quick cuts. I want the camera to float around.” We looked at lots of references, and he went off and designed the fight. He brings it back to me on video, and we then cut some stuff, changed the order of things. Eventually, it evolves until it’s all really planned. Then you go off and shoot it. The real work, the real brain sweating is coming up with the idea and figuring out how to do it.

Did you use tricky editing or special effects to string the long takes together?
It’s all for real. I didn’t want any wirework. Poor Colin was out there for six months training and training and training. That’s why I call it a ballet because in a weird way, fight sequences are just dances. We wanted to do it so that we could make it more hypnotic in the length of it. People say, “Oh, it’s too long.” I’m going, “No, it’s not too long. It’s making a point.” Normally, a scene like that you’d have one hundred cuts: left, right, and center, shaking the camera around so you have no idea what’s going on. That’s why I think people are surprised by it, because you can actually watch what’s happening and just follow it as a story.

Jarmel

Banned
So just rewatched some scenes from Wick. The action in Wick is generally better than Kingsman, there's a lot less cuts for starters, but the church sequence in Kingsman is better than anything in Wick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom