• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitase Comments on Final Fantasy Type-0 Western Release

UberTag

How about that... everyone now agrees with what I suggested 5 days ago.
Yay... join the party!

Effect said:
What are the odds of a PSP release in Japan but a 3DS release outside of Japan if the PSP situation elsewhere is a concern? Putting it on Vita doesn't really address the non-Japan issue. Also PSN is an option if they want to keep the title Sony only.
I "believe" we'll get a PSN release of Type-0 on PSP but only in tandem with an upgraded release on another platform (be it Vita, PS3 or PS3/X360). I suppose 3DS is a remote possibility as well.

daffy

Banned
Effect said:
What are the odds of a PSP release in Japan but a 3DS release outside of Japan if the PSP situation elsewhere is a concern? 3DS instead of DS as the DS would't be powerful enough but carries the brand which is in better shape outside of Japan. Putting it on Vita doesn't really address the non-Japan issue until we see how well Vita does sales wise. PSN is of course an option if they want to keep the title Sony only.
The game isn't developed for the 3DS

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Seda said:
I'm looking forward to playing it!

in 2015

:(

I'd so buy Type-0 if:

-It gets a demo
-That demo is GOOD
-It's on PSN

Two of the three would be nice.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Akselziys said:
Well, technically it couldn't be a remaster in the west unless it was bundled with another game, so that's most likely out of the question >.<

Is that how SCEA has decided to do things?

kadotsu

Banned
Here's how you do it. Hire Joseph Reeder and Brian Gray and (this is the important part) let them translate the game into English. Then cast for VAs and if you hear the phrase "I've worked extensively in anime" tell him or her to get the fuck out of the building. Then, and this may come as a surprise, you publish the game in English speaking territories (there is a direct correlation between the language that you localize the game for and the audience that will buy the game in that language). Extra points for a PSN release.

That was a lot of technical lingo SE but I'm sure you can do it.

Kagari said:
I'm not sure this absolutely governs how the remaster licensing works. For example, I'm pretty sure you could remaster a single PS2 game for the PS3 - it's just that you wouldn't be able to have the "Classics HD" stamp on it, to my understanding.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Kagari said:

Si, senorita~ ;) Remasters have to be bundled with another game or a part of a collection. No stand alones here. Unlike Japan :)

Which is why the MGS collection is all 3 games in one here, where as it's MGS2 & 3 and Peace Walker separately in Japan :)

UberTag

kadotsu said:
Here's how you do it. Hire Joseph Reeder and Brian Gray and (this is the important part) let them translate the game into English. Then cast for VAs and if you hear the phrase "I've worked extensively in anime" tell him or her to get the fuck out of the building. Then, and this may come as a surprise, you publish the game in English speaking territories (there is a direct correlation between the language that you localize the game for and the audience that will buy the game in that language). Extra points for a PSN release.
In other words you think Atlus dubs are crap and that Square Enix's The 3rd Birthday is a masterpiece?

Effect

FTH said:
The game isn't developed for the 3DS

Of course. Hasn't stop games from appearing on other systems in the past. Just wondering about the chances if they are concerned about the PSP outside of Japan but wanting to keep it a hand held title. Unless Sony is funding the game then I'd understand if there would be no chance in hell of SE even considering it.

Go_Ly_Dow

When and how can we expect the Japanese release date to be announced? Don't think there's any events in the Summer, so I'm assuming it will be in a Famitsu issue?

Spiegel

Akselziys said:
Si, senorita~ ;) Remasters have to be bundled with another game or a part of a collection. No stand alones here. Unlike Japan :)

Which is why the MGS collection is all 3 games in one here, where as it's MGS2 and 3 and Peace Walker separately in Japan :)

But maybe they can make an exception for new games not released in NA?

Durante

I wonder if they may be considering putting it on only Vita/PS3 for the west. Preventing PSP piracy could be seen as more important than serving the small western PSP market.

C-Jo

PSP Remaster or PSV (or both) would be the most sensible solutions financially. FF Type-0 and Uncharted would make for an incredible launch.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Akselziys said:

Which is why the MGS collection is all 3 games in one here, where as it's MGS2 & 3 and Peace Walker separately in Japan :)

Ah hah. That makes sense now :eek:

Takao

Banned
Durante said:
I wonder if they may be considering putting it on only Vita/PS3 for the west. Preventing PSP piracy could be seen as more important than serving the small western PSP market.

If they want to prevent piracy, it'll be a Vita/3DS game. Nothing to do with PS3 or PSP.

FateBreaker said:

LOL

Yeah, the most expensive handheld Final Fantasy game would just be ported to XBLA and PSN for $15.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think a 3DS port is a bad idea, assuming Sony doesn't have a deal concerning it, and I have no idea if that's the case.

KingDizzi

Banned
Effect said:
What are the odds of a PSP release in Japan but a 3DS release outside of Japan if the PSP situation elsewhere is a concern? 3DS instead of DS as the DS would't be powerful enough but carries the brand which is in better shape outside of Japan. Putting it on Vita doesn't really address the non-Japan issue until we see how well Vita does sales wise. PSN is of course an option if they want to keep the title Sony only.
That would be the most logical thing to do, move it from the PSP which is struggling in the west to the 3DS that's simply lighting up the charts. My guess is a Vita release or one of those HD remasters.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
StuBurns said:
I don't think a 3DS port is a bad idea, assuming Sony doesn't have a deal concerning it, and I have no idea if that's the case.
They do but if Square is willing to give back some money it could be possible for it to hit the 3DS.

Takao

Banned
StuBurns said:

I would've guessed Sony had a deal on Peace Walker given the game features Sony products, and Sony is the one who advertised the game in the west, not Konami. Yet a year later it's being ported to the 360...

daffy

Banned
Effect said:
Of course. Hasn't stop games from appearing on other systems in the past. Just wondering about the chances if they are concerned about the PSP outside of Japan but wanting to keep it a hand held title. Unless Sony is funding the game then I'd understand if there would be no chance in hell of SE even considering it.
Oh oh I thought you meant released simultaneously. Well I don't know how 3DS and PSP stack up technically, but I imagine if they haven't started already, a 3DS version would take quite awhile if the game is scheduled for Summer 2011.

Also as a remaster, wouldn't if have to be part of a collection in NA? and you know, mastered? It hasn't ever been released before. The most logical answer would be a Vita near launch title & digital release.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Takao said:
I would've guessed Sony had a deal on Peace Walker given the game features Sony products, and Sony is the one who advertised the game in the west, not Konami. Yet a year later it's being ported to the 360...

The situation with that, is they already made their money, especially in Japan. Year old port won't matter.

Depends on if the trend becomes favorable to localized late-season PSP games being seen on a showcase Vita, or that a release on PSN could sell for shelf prices.

StuBurns

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
They do but if Square is willing to give back some money it could be possible for it to hit the 3DS.
I can't imagine Sony would want to give it up if they had it exclusive. If they can get it as a PSV exclusive launch title, that's a pretty big deal.

kadotsu

Banned
UberTag said:
In other words you think Atlus dubs are crap and that Square Enix's The 3rd Birthday is a masterpiece?

I think modern games should get to a point where they have feature parity with DVD movies. That means original audio, subtitles. I'm German and more often than not if I can chose between the "Japanese Game English Dub" and nothing I chose nothing. Sometimes you will get a perfectly fine english dub and I will gladly play the game in English then (FFXII, Deadly Premonition) The last time I did this was for YS 7/OiF. I won't buy Catherine because it hasn't Japanese audio.
I'm in the minority and I know that but I won't reward shitty dubs with my money while I hope some Spanish hacker will give me a perfectly playing Undub (I still buy the games). If N1 can do dual audio every company should be capable of doing it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If they are going to push it out for Vita, I have to wonder if they'll have any additions for the North American version (which will probably be released as the International version over there on Vita should this happen). Like extra bosses, dungeons, etc. Though that's probably dependent on how long it'll take to release it in the west if it comes over here.

Final Fantasy XIII International didn't really deliver anything new (aside from easy mode), so that's why I'm wondering about it.

meh, even if it doesn't make it over here, I'm sure there'll be a quicker and more concentrated fan translation effort for it since it's a major FF game. quicker than, say, your average semi-obscure game.

Aru

As long as the game is coming at least in english (or french), I don't care what platform they choose. Unless they choose PC, because that's the only platform I don't have. But thankfully, it won't happen.

PSP Remaster or Vita launch title, I'd be happy with one of those. Or even a PSN only version.

matmanx1

Vita or PSN is most likely and it almost definitely won't make the launch. This is Square we're talking about here and they don't do anything quickly.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Brazil said:
I don't care how it comes - PSP, download only, PS3 Remaster, Vita -; I'll buy it.

Well, just like with TitS Second Chapter, you technically couldn't do PSN only since it's 2 UMDs and they don't have the means to support that as of yet.

Most likely it would be a PSV release, if not a PSP one.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Akselziys said:
Well, just like with TitS Second Chapter, you technically couldn't do PSN only since it's 2 UMDs and they don't have the means to support that as of yet.

Most likely it would be a PSV release, if not a PSP one.

With all PSV games being required to also be available on the PSN, I wouldn't be surprised if a solution for that presented itself sometime in the near future.

Top Bottom