• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitase & Toriyama are destroying Final Fantasy

CorvoSol

If only I could have avoided some of the characters in FF10 onwards lol. Not only have they done away with optional characters but now they try to make every character important and have a big role or story, they especially did this in 13 I felt.

I doubt they will do it for 15, but it would be great to see them pull an FF9 and return to a traditional style Final Fantasy on a current gen console.

This worked to their benefit in FF6. Barring Umaro and Gogo, every character had some good amount of development and some legitimately touching scenes.

To the dungeon with them both.

But seriously, we just need more games not directed by Toriyama.

He can be on staff sure, just nowhere near the scenario/story department.

Let him direct the over the top cut-scenes that comprise his entire plots.

Everyone should... >.>

What an awful thing to say about a game that feature Golbez as a playable character!

I think it would be okay to have Toriyama direct action cutscenes, for example the one where the characters drop in on the race track or the one where they fall down onto Cocoon. He would probably do fine and maybe even well. Preferably anything without speaking.

CorvoSol said:
Let him direct the over the top cut-scenes that comprise his entire plots.
He directed XIII's scenes? Yet he was totally cool with keeping the scene in Palumpolum where Light and Hope were surrounded by the military? Otherwise, it's cool as long as he can keep it sensible.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
A worthwhile method of complaint is to simply not buy the games. I grabbed FF13 on a whim and have barely passed 2hrs on it and I still haven't bought FF14 despite posts on here stating my anticipation for it. You can bet your bacon I haven't touched anything since. At least I can vouch for my own words when I state that they need to fix something.

CorvoSol

He directed XIII's scenes? Yet he was totally cool with keeping the scene in Palumpolum where Light and Hope were surrounded by the military? Otherwise, it's cool as long as he can keep it sensible.

I was under the impression that before he went mad with power, cut-scenes were what Toriyama was doing.

R-User!

If only I could have avoided some of the characters in FF10 onwards lol. Not only have they done away with optional characters but now they try to make every character important and have a big role or story, they especially did this in 13 I felt.

I doubt they will do it for 15, but it would be great to see them pull an FF9 and return to a traditional style Final Fantasy on a current gen console.

"FINAL FANTASY FIFTEEN!"

"THE FANTASY RETURNS"

-------------11-15-15--------------

----PSF----NeXbox----Wii U----

/Marketing Narrator

CorvoSol

You guys are crazy. How could Toriyama, who brought us these guys:

be a bad thing for the industry? You don't want more Red Warrior of Light. You want Osaka Whore and you know it.

jaxword

be a bad thing for the industry? You don't want more Red Warrior of Light. You want Osaka Whore and you know it.

I think that's more Nao Ikeda's influence.

DengekiPS: Ms. Ikeda, we've heard you are the character designer of Snow.

Ikeda: Right after I finished work for Dawn of Mana, I was given the opportunity to design characters for FFXIII. All of these are completely different from what I've done before, so in the beginning I threw in everything I could to find a comfortable spot to start off at. Since this is on a next-gen console, I've designed every little detail possible.

DegekiPS: Please let us know a bit more about the members of Nora.

Ikeda: First of all Maqui, he has a history where he was an introvert and always stayed home until Snow came to pull him out. Since then he started to respect Snow greatly. That's why his outfit is styled like Snow more than other members. For example Maqui has a brassard on to copy how Snow's left sleeve is like, and his gloves are similar also. He is seen in many layers because he wants to hide his slim body that he finds embarrassing, compared to Snow's powerful and muscular body. His pair of headphones are used for radio transmissions between Nora members, and his goggles and tool satchel is his identification as the proud Nora mechanic.

Lebreau's colors and other motifs are inspired from the images of butterflies flying along an asian beach resort. Since the town where Nora's headquarters are located is along the beach, I've designed her to wear a swimsuit with short-shorts and a cardigan-like top. She talks and acts much more mature for her age, and sometimes acts as if she's the mother of Nora (laughs). Gadot was required to be "shorter than Snow, but more macho. On the young side for age, and not as big as FFVII's Barret" and I had a lot of trouble with that. In the end he became in-between the two, and has a reverse-traingle type body. Also like his hair and his tattoo represents, his motif is "fire", and he is supposed to be opposite of Snow who has a motif of ice. They both are hot-blooded, so I can't really say they're truly opposite though... (laughs)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gadot was required to be "shorter than Snow, but more macho. On the young side for age, and not as big as FFVII's Barret" and I had a lot of trouble with that. In the end he became in-between the two, and has a reverse-traingle type body.
So... they ended up going with Wakka, but no cowlick. Instead we have a mohawk and more orange hair dye.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Maybe, but you know how Toriyama is.

14475060.jpg

Yep.

MechaX

If there are any characters in XIII that truly deserve seething venom, it's each and every one of these fucking collection of tools.

God, I fucking hate Team NORA.

CorvoSol

Maybe their descendants in 500 AF look and behave just like them.

Also they would be the same ages because they don't feel like making new models.

It's so true that I can feel my frontal lobe throbbing in impending frustration.

If there are any characters in XIII that truly deserve seething venom, it's each and every one of these fucking collection of tools.

God, I fucking hate Team NORA.

BUT HEROES NEVER DIE! AND PARADOXES/FAL'CIE/GODS/THE WARRING TRIAD/CHOCOBOS/ GOOD FASHION SENSE/COMMON SENSE/SENSE HAVE NOTHING ON TEAM NORA!

Also, it stands for what, No Rules or Authority? Then why the hell does Snow immediately side with the authoritative bad guy every time?

Ikeda: Right after I finished work for Dawn of Mana

Well that explains it right there. The character artwork in Children and Dawn of Mana is hideous, atrocious and should be jettisoned into the sun with the artwork from Sword of Mana as well. Mana once had some great artwork, but in the post Legend era it has been, by far, the most hideous and repulsive stuff.

Ikeda: Right after I finished work for Dawn of Mana, I was given the opportunity to design characters for FFXIII. All of these are completely different from what I've done before, so in the beginning I threw in everything I could to find a comfortable spot to start off at. Since this is on a next-gen console, I've designed every little detail possible.

DegekiPS: Please let us know a bit more about the members of Nora.

Ikeda: First of all Maqui, he has a history where he was an introvert and always stayed home until Snow came to pull him out. Since then he started to respect Snow greatly. That's why his outfit is styled like Snow more than other members. For example Maqui has a brassard on to copy how Snow's left sleeve is like, and his gloves are similar also. He is seen in many layers because he wants to hide his slim body that he finds embarrassing, compared to Snow's powerful and muscular body. His pair of headphones are used for radio transmissions between Nora members, and his goggles and tool satchel is his identification as the proud Nora mechanic.

Lebreau's colors and other motifs are inspired from the images of butterflies flying along an asian beach resort. Since the town where Nora's headquarters are located is along the beach, I've designed her to wear a swimsuit with short-shorts and a cardigan-like top. She talks and acts much more mature for her age, and sometimes acts as if she's the mother of Nora (laughs). Gadot was required to be "shorter than Snow, but more macho. On the young side for age, and not as big as FFVII's Barret" and I had a lot of trouble with that. In the end he became in-between the two, and has a reverse-traingle type body. Also like his hair and his tattoo represents, his motif is "fire", and he is supposed to be opposite of Snow who has a motif of ice. They both are hot-blooded, so I can't really say they're truly opposite though... (laughs)

I dunno, that doesn't make it sound like Ikeda was responsible for their annoying personalities.

It's so true that I can feel my frontal lobe throbbing in impending frustration.

BUT HEROES NEVER DIE! AND PARADOXES/FAL'CIE/GODS/THE WARRING TRIAD/CHOCOBOS/ GOOD FASHION SENSE/COMMON SENSE/SENSE HAVE NOTHING ON TEAM NORA!

Also, it stands for what, No Rules or Authority? Then why the hell does Snow immediately side with the authoritative bad guy every time?

Well that explains it right there. The character artwork in Children and Dawn of Mana is hideous, atrocious and should be jettisoned into the sun with the artwork from Sword of Mana as well. Mana once had some great artwork, but in the post Legend era it has been, by far, the most hideous and repulsive stuff.

In the Japanese version Nora refers to the idea of a stray cat, I think. But I'd think stray cats have way more dignity than any of Snow's shitty friends.

CorvoSol

I dunno, that doesn't make it sound like Ikeda was responsible for their annoying personalities.

In the Japanese version Nora refers to the idea of a stray cat, I think. But I'd think stray cats have way more dignity than any of Snow's shitty friends.

It explains why they keep cats, though. It also explains my instinctual repulsion: I am allergic to cats.

jaxword

Well, maybe not the EXACT dialogue, but she sounds like she indeed influenced the personalities:

"First of all Maqui, he has a history where he was an introvert and always stayed home until Snow came to pull him out. Since then he started to respect Snow greatly."

"She talks and acts much more mature for her age, and sometimes acts as if she's the mother of Nora (laughs)."

"Also like his hair and his tattoo represents, his motif is "fire", and he is supposed to be opposite of Snow who has a motif of ice. They both are hot-blooded, so I can't really say they're truly opposite though... (laughs)"

Top Bottom