• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

kizuna (Wii) screens

MarzipaNMOS

Member
Sep 1, 2007
1,256
0
0
You know, I can understand all the SotC comparisons, but when I first saw the pics of this game on the site, the reticule screamed WKC to me. Would be cool if they slow down the combat and try to make it more tactical.
 

Black-Wind

Member
May 17, 2008
10,847
0
0
exavierford.weebly.com
KingJ2002 said:
good... companies are now starting to understand how to win with visuals on the wii... it's all about art direction.

Well, it's not ALL about art style. Art direction just has a much larger impression than just doing the same-old-same-old.

Like. . .SGM. That has a kick ass art style AND the tech push behind it to pull it off. Or Fragile which has great art direction AND a good push in tech that makes it look amazing.

Im loving how games like MadWorld are being done on the Wii (a game where the devs openly stated that they aint even pushing Wii's power because it wasn't needed to pull off their art style) but I don't need ever Wii game to be ONLY easy art style when theres tech to pull off more interesting things in that area.

Right now I think the balance between tech and art style for Wii is best seen in SMG and MP3 . . . sweet art style but theres still a push for tech.
 

jrricky

Banned
Feb 12, 2007
5,556
0
0
33
garden state
Black-Wind said:
Well, it's not ALL about art style. Art direction just has a much larger impression than just doing the same-old-same-old.

Like. . .SGM. That has a kick ass art style AND the tech push behind it to pull it off. Or Fragile which has great art direction AND a good push in tech that makes it look amazing.

Im loving how games like MadWorld are being done on the Wii (a game where the devs openly stated that they aint even pushing Wii's power because it wasn't needed to pull off their art style) but I don't need ever Wii game to be ONLY easy art style when theres tech to pull off more interesting things in that area.

Right now I think the balance between tech and art style for Wii is best seen in SMG and MP3 . . . sweet art style but theres still a push for tech.
read his quote again.

And.....nom nom nom, I love how this looks.
 

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Apr 11, 2007
7,168
0
0
Amir0x said:
Ah, I thought you were on that track... but you did spell it wrong, it's 'Sibylline'.

My comments for the sake of clarity just meant... the screens aren't so hot (to use a hyperbolic art analogy... it's like a cut-rate painting dealer trying to forge a Rembrandt or something. It's clearly trying to be inspired by SotC, but its awkward use of color and inappropriate looking sketch effect is just unappealing to me. Don't want to judge further without inspection of the concept, but that's the initial impression).

I think it's more obvious why it's yikes at Jaleco. It's so obvious that I'm mystified why already they are giving a mini-free pass. I don't even think they've put out anything relevant in like a decade!
well, your impressions of the art are your own. you don't like it, but other people do, just like you hate No More Heroes enough to put it into a toilet while i love enough to consider buying again and framing it.

and while i totally agree about Jaleco as a company, the two behind it aren't exactly new to the Wii considering that they're at least partially responsible for the awesomesauce that is LKS. can't wait to play either :D
 

Vinnk

Member
Mar 10, 2006
3,203
0
0
Japan
www.famicomdojo.tv
doomed1 said:
well, your impressions of the art are your own. you don't like it, but other people do, just like you hate No More Heroes enough to put it into a toilet while i love enough to consider buying again and framing it.

and while i totally agree about Jaleco as a company, the two behind it aren't exactly new to the Wii considering that they're at least partially responsible for the awesomesauce that is LKS. can't wait to play either :D

I agree with this. This game could be another No More Heros in which some people love it and some hate it (it's critical score show that more reviewers liked it). So I guess it goes back to "beauty in the eye of the beholder".

I personally like the style but I am waiting to see what the gameplay is like. Because the prettiest graphics in the world won't save it if it plays badly. On that same note, some ugly games can be saved if they are really fun to play.
 

DiddyBop

Member
Aug 18, 2007
2,427
0
0
proof you just need good art to make a game look good. wish developers would start focusing on unique art like this game and prince of persia instead of pushing "realistic" graphics like crysis.
 

Amir0x

Banned
Oct 27, 2004
103,711
3
0
36
Nowhere, PA
doomed1 said:
well, your impressions of the art are your own. you don't like it, but other people do



i am just happy my opinion has the power of God on its side
 

TunaLover

Member
May 13, 2007
9,025
0
0
Chile
let's hope kizuna have better framerate than sotc, i'm all for a little graphical sacrifice to get your game running steady.
 

Twig

Banned
May 9, 2007
11,446
0
0
wsippel said:
Founded in 1974, but acquired and completely restructured from 2000 to 2006. Their games division (it's a seperate company now) was founded only two years ago.
Whoops! Fairy nuff. d:

That'll learn me to read more than the first sentence! O:
 

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Jul 31, 2004
7,104
1
0
41
Lake County
I could see from the scans that the game looked pretty impressive but it's nice to see some clearer pictures to verify the fantastic art direction. Wii's RPG line-up is shaping up very nicely. I hope most of them make it to the west.
 

bdouble

Member
Sep 5, 2007
3,151
0
0
batbeg said:
Wanda/Wander.

But yeah... this thread went to shit :-\

I maintain what I said: looks fucking awesome. Good graphics, good art, good... gameplay...? We can only hope!

wow did I seriously mix up the horse and Wanda. :p anyways yeah you know what I mean.

KingJ2002 said:
good... companies are now starting to understand how to win with visuals on the wii... it's all about art direction.

Doesn't mean it has to have some crazy art style though like this game. All games look better with good art direction. Case in point Conduit looks like things are cut and pasted from different games while in MP3 everything looks cohesive and part of the game universe. Its not really unique to the Wii either it just happens to be more apparent because of the lack of effort by most developers.

Its not necessary to have a crazy post effect filter or have it cel shaded or w/e to make a good Wii game. Not that your doing it but some people think that making a game look like that is a needed crutch coughmattcassamassinassimmanacough the Wii needs to keep up. Which is totally not true.
 

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Jun 14, 2004
5,268
6
1,575
What genre is it? Anyway, necessity is the mother of innovation. It's nice to see Wii finally get the attention it deserves in the graphics department. There are quite a few games coming out for it that are above average graphically.
 

lyre

Member
Sep 8, 2005
4,408
0
0
Gagaman said:


Looks like Sega are graphic style trend setters once again. =)


Hcoregamer00 said:
I hope it gets ripped off long after Valkyria is released,
but it wont likely happen since Valkyria will be a huge bomb in the USA
 
Nov 26, 2006
24,196
6
0
goldmetalsonic.wordpress.com
Sep 5, 2007
17,269
1
0
Amir0x said:
Ah, I thought you were on that track... but you did spell it wrong, it's 'Sibylline'.

My comments for the sake of clarity just meant... the screens aren't so hot (to use a hyperbolic art analogy... it's like a cut-rate painting dealer trying to forge a Rembrandt or something. It's clearly trying to be inspired by SotC, but its awkward use of color and inappropriate looking sketch effect is just unappealing to me. Don't want to judge further without inspection of the concept, but that's the initial impression).

I think it's more obvious why it's yikes at Jaleco. It's so obvious that I'm mystified why already they are giving a mini-free pass. I don't even think they've put out anything relevant in like a decade!


whoops!

but I thought this was a new Jaleco?
 

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
May 30, 2004
38,693
0
0
38
saitama, jyapyaon
I'm not so sure about this. I don't like the idea of a knock off SOTC, and the 2D art doesn't seem to translate well into 3D. Not to mention you know, if this whole monster slaying thing turns into a genre, it'll be pretty much impossible to top the original.

Maybe the gameplay willl have an interesting twist.
 

Ranger X

Member
Jun 10, 2004
34,867
3
0
www.backloggery.com
KingJ2002 said:
good... companies are now starting to understand how to win with visuals on the wii... it's all about art direction.

THIS SHOUD HAPPEN EVERYWHERE.

It sickens me that it takes a bizarre dog like the Wii for publisher to try something.
 

Tron 2.0

Member
Jun 19, 2007
3,329
0
0
I'm curious as to why everyone is jumping to the SotC comparisons. Is it just the art or is something known about the gameplay that I'm ignorant of?

If this is released this winter, does that mean Jaleco will have both King Story and Kizuna out at the same time?
 

Akai

Member
Feb 14, 2005
2,512
0
0
34
World 2-3
Tron 2.0 said:
If this is released this winter, does that mean Jaleco will have both King Story and Kizuna out at the same time?

Same director, but Little King's Story is published by Marvelous...
 

wsippel

Banned
May 25, 2006
14,534
0
0
Erfurt, Germany
Hero of legend said:
It is!

This Jaleco is owned by the bigger Jaleco Holdings, which is the old Jaleco!

The new Jaleco has made some games prior as their website indicates, but Kizuna looks like their first big game!
Well, my English definitely isn't good enough to explain the situation, so I'll just quote Wikipedia:

By the year 2000, Jaleco, still active in the development of arcade and console video games, hadn't produced any hit title in years and was in a struggling state. Its American division Jaleco USA had already left the arcade industry in 1993. On November 1, 2000, Jaleco was acquired by Hong-Kong company PCCW. Jaleco, renamed PCCW Japan, gave the PCCW Group a foothold in Japan. PCCW heavily restructured the company, shutting down Jaleco's arcade division and other non-profitable departments in order to focus on video games for consoles of the sixth generation era. [...] PCCW Japan reverted its name back to Jaleco in 2004.

On May 31, 2006, Jaleco's board of directors opted for a change of name from Jaleco Ltd to Jaleco Holding Ltd (JASDAQ: 7954) and, in the process, spun off the video game division into a separate company that would take the name of Jaleco Ltd. As such, Jaleco Holding is now the name of the company that has existed since 1974, while Jaleco Ltd is the new company that was established on July 3, 2006 as a wholly owned subsidiary of Jaleco Holding.
 

Haunted

Member
Nov 16, 2006
78,223
18
965
RobertM said:
Dynasty Warrior?
Yes. Normal combat will be DW-styled, it seems. Boss enemies might be SotC influenced. Graphics style is taken from Valkyria Profile.


Jack of all Trades, Master of None? Or taking from different genres/games to combine it into something awesome?

You decide.
 

Redd

Member
Aug 23, 2007
8,725
0
0
I'm not a fan of Jaleco games but this game does look good. Hopefully it plays good as well. Doubt I'll buy it day one, would rather wait for reviews when it comes out.
 

Tron 2.0

Member
Jun 19, 2007
3,329
0
0
Akai said:
Same director, but Little King's Story is published by Marvelous...
Oh. For some reason I was thinking they were coming from the same developer. Thanks.
 

Tenbatsu

Member
May 9, 2007
8,211
0
0
Singapore
Vinnk said:
I agree with this. This game could be another No More Heros in which some people love it and some hate it (it's critical score show that more reviewers liked it).
Speaking about No More Heroes, think its time for me to go revisit it again for the 4th time. The game just got that certain appeal that makes me wanna play it over and over again.
 

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Jul 4, 2006
32,311
0
1,210
oooh saw the scans.

1. There are pictures of what looks to be a battle with more than several enemies about the same size as our hero. Amount of epic to be determined.

2. There are pictures of people talking in a town. Uh-oh?

3. There is a map with dots on it. Looks like it can be crossed off as you progress.

4. That battle with the giant monster definitely is SotC-inspired, but the game looks different enough that the comparisons should stop there. Also, awesome lighting in these pics.
 

Black-Wind

Member
May 17, 2008
10,847
0
0
exavierford.weebly.com
PantherLotus said:
oooh saw the scans.

1. There are pictures of what looks to be a battle with more than several enemies about the same size as our hero. Amount of epic to be determined.

2. There are pictures of people talking in a town. Uh-oh?

3. There is a map with dots on it. Looks like it can be crossed off as you progress.

4. That battle with the giant monster definitely is SotC-inspired, but the game looks different enough that the comparisons should stop there. Also, awesome lighting in these pics.


Thats what this game is about.:lol

The main character (no emotion revenge guy) learns to make "bonds" with other characters. He does mission to help them and the "bonds" he makes from those missions can even help him in some way.

At least thats what I got from the some bit of info released.
 

flintstryker

Banned
Jan 11, 2008
8,536
0
0
PantherLotus said:
oooh saw the scans.

1. There are pictures of what looks to be a battle with more than several enemies about the same size as our hero. Amount of epic to be determined.

2. There are pictures of people talking in a town. Uh-oh?

3. There is a map with dots on it. Looks like it can be crossed off as you progress.

4. That battle with the giant monster definitely is SotC-inspired, but the game looks different enough that the comparisons should stop there. Also, awesome lighting in these pics.
Arpg
 

RiZ III

Member
Jun 6, 2004
7,977
0
0
Clearly some inspiration from SotC in there. Looks ugly even with the unique art direction, but it has be intrigued.
 
Oct 11, 2007
32,757
500
1,290
I think this will look fantastic if it runs at a smooth framerate...it will probably be 30fps, but if the animation is good, ill bite.

Im still surprised at how much attention this is getting and how fast its getting it.
 

Black-Wind

Member
May 17, 2008
10,847
0
0
exavierford.weebly.com
Oh, here is where I got that from (IGN)

In addition to the main story, which is split into chapters, you'll find over 100 quests to help pass the time. These quests actually appear to be a central part of the game, whose theme revolves around the bonds Lian form with people of the world (the game's title translates to "Golden Bonds").
 
May 14, 2006
1,808
0
0
manueldelalas said:
Nice, I like the art style
:lol i think thats the worst part of it all..besides the over grown half ape half pinata dude

On a serious note: Seems now days people just get hyped up over the weirdest things these days