• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack PS4 install: 37gb's!

Windforce

Wow.

Even if everything is just 'cached' and not installed, won't the bluray drives on PS4/Bone just die out very quickly?

Reading that much data everytime must really work the lens out.

Moosehole

Uhhh guys? It says 37GB required on the back of the retail box. This is not for digital only. Or am i missing something?

Grimløck;87714877 said:
Wow. I'm paying about $33 for this (internet only):
3061321093.png

Not the fastest, but I'm not capped, either.

The other option in my area is ATT which I think is marginally faster, but they impose data caps. We use hundreds of GB each month, so that's simply not feasible. We need unlimited. Or better jobs.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Sony should just let us backup games onto external HDDs, Steam-style.
This could help people who buy digitally a lot.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
At this point I'm just expecting 35-40GB for all retail titles. We shouldn't be surprised by this anymore.

More interested in seeing file sizes for digital only titles like Resogun and Contrast.

either my calculator is broken or 37GB is not 20GB less than 40GB...

crossing my fingers that the caching theories we've been discussing are the real deal. i'd hate to be going into my PS4 every so often deleting game data for things i haven't even finished yet.

Tidux

Its not the mandatory install. It basically mean, if you want to play Knack and Killzone SF, you won't need 100GB of space (50GB each,) you'll just need 50GB to cache them.

So I guess all of these >30 GB games means that 2 kbps 360p bink video cutscenes and shit are finally dead?

I am quite alright with this.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I pay $35/month for 15M. Still ok with this. As long as Day 1 Digital sticks around and it means I can start auto downloading stuff at midnight.

Also, you guys realize there is no such thing as stored uncompressed video in gaming right? As for audio, most of it is still stored compressed. At minimum lossless, otherwise high bitrate lossy.

Marinlik

Neo Member
That's really nice to hear. I like that they are making the games bigger so we can get higher res textures. No downsides for me in this as long as they actually use the space to make it look and sound better. Shouldn't take too long to download anyway. As long as they have made PSN faster.

mekes

Since I have to wait til the 29th, I'm glad I'll have answers on mandatory install sizes compared to caching sizes. Also firm answers on what kinds of HDD's are supported. I have a feeling I'll be buying the biggest size HDD possible prior to the delivery of my PS4.

KingJ2002

In hindsight... back in 2005 consoles like the xbox 360 launched with 8 and 20GB hard drives. if games were to be installed directly to those launch systems... thats your entire hard drive gone in an instant.

now the xbox one and playstation 4 are coming out with 500GB drives and it wouldn't be farfetched if we saw 2-3TB hard drives in the future. Maybe even SSD or Fusion Harddrives out of the box.

and with upgradable hard drives... Space won't be an issue.

but what will be an issue is connection speeds from our providers. I see that companies did not prepare for this digital future properly and are now in a tough spot because current speeds won't cut it and anti-consumer techniques like bandwidth caps & throttling won't fly if people are streaming 1080p level content and downloading 50GB titles regularly.

I don't know what the future will hold for DD only... but the current infrastructure won't support it.

Nosgoroth

I shouldn't have a problem with this digital future:

3061342664.png

Should be 100Mbps, but my browser sputters when going faster than that. I pay around 100€ including TV with two decoders, landline and two cellphone lines.

Grimløck;87714877 said:
3061321093.png

W84EIpq.png

A ping of 0ms goes against the laws of physics, Your Honor!

High res textures = big file sizes. If you want highly detailed textures, you need big file sizes. If you want to have minimal loading, you need to load from the hard drive.

This is an unavoidable fact. Not liking it doesn't change that.

You play as you download anyway, it's not like you're going to have to wait until you've downloaded the entire file. Unless if your internet connection is dodgy as hell then it shouldn't be too annoying.

Ya, but even the initial download before you can play is pretty sizable. Killzone is over 7GB before you can play. For many, that is a minimum of one hour to download and as high as 7 hours to download before you can start still. An hour alone is annoying.

Welcome to the age of uncompressed audio and video. Even the Yakuza games were like 20-25GB.

Not one single game ships with uncompressed video. Not one single PS4 or Xbox One game will ever ship with uncompressed video.

As far as audio, they better be compressing audio if they aren't. There's very little reason to ship with uncompressed audio.

netguy503

You weren't expecting games to get bigger in size?

Killzone Shadow Fall also has a 7.5 GB update to install. So that original size is a bit misleading...

Sorry guys for the screw up in the OP. But doesn't it make it worse? I don't see how Killzone is just a little more than 2GBs more than this game? It has a bigger campaign and the graphics are MUCH better.

And can you link me to the source of the day one patch for killzone taking 7.5GB's space? So updates now take as much space as a psplus game this generation? LOL. I wonder how much space each DLC will take up?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Furthermore, wasn't the last of us 26GB? Uncharted 3, 40GB or so? Manufactured outrage? Looks like it...

This COULD be a problem if download speeds from Sony servers remain on the same abysmal level. ND games were an exception, not a rule.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Smh...

Killzone doesn't have a 7.5GB patch, it's 7.5GB of the total 39.7GB you need to download before you can play.

Didn't cerny say there was almost a feature films worth of cutscenes for knack?
Between 60-120mins of 1080p cutscenes possibly.

Edit- found the quote from psn blog.

There’s a lot more to the story, which is told through a feature film’s worth of fully mo-capped cutscenes (featuring some familiar voice acting talent).

Tidux

Oh! Ok that makes me feel 1,000% better. Thank you

Essentially the PS4 allocates a portion of the hard drive to cache game data for the game you are currently playing. It uses this data like it would any other install (permanent of not).

The difference is, once you are done with the game or want to play a different game, this data is flushed and the same partition on the hard drive is used for the data cache of the next game. Thus negating the need to do a 40-50Gb permanent install for each game.

first time you start killzone SF as an example, it will take a minute.
a small portion of the installation is permanent and will remain until you delete it

Namikaze

Grimløck;87714877 said:
3061321093.png

I have 50/25 Fios yet every PSN download goes at the speed of about 1MB/second for me (on wireless). Do you get anywhere near these speeds when downloading from PSN?

SkylineRKR

My PSN is capped at about 20mbit. But I'm on wifi. Still, with Plus being pretty much essential now I expect more d/l speed from Sony.

I get this for about 30 euros a month. But I don't like 40gb downloads, I keep doing what I do now... only buy indies and arcade games as a download.

Moosehole

Essentially the PS4 allocates a portion of the hard drive to cache game data for the game you are currently playing. It uses this data like it would any other install (permanent of not).

The difference is, once you are done with the game or want to play a different game, this data is flushed and the same partition on the hard drive is used for the data cache of the next game. Thus negating the need to do a 40-50Gb permanent install for each game.

first time you start killzone SF as an example, it will take a minute.
a small portion of the installation is permanent and will remain until you delete it
That is definitely better for saving HDD space, but what effect will this have on the bluray drive over time? Something to be concerned about?

I have 50/25 Fios yet every PSN download goes at the speed of about 1MB/second for me (on wireless). Do you get anywhere near these speeds when downloading from PSN?

I get the exact same problem (Verizon FiOS 50/25 here as well). It's funny, because the computer right next to my PS3 gets like 5 MB/s when downloading from Steam on wifi.

Top Bottom