• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knock-offs or store brand foods that are just as good or better than the popular ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoy a lot of store brand items that aren't necessarily the most popular:

00041190573851_full.jpg

shoprite-potato-chips-salt-46179.jpg

220.jpg

QZ1JS.jpg

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Some of the Kroger Premium Ice cream is pretty tops.

Private-Selection-Ice-Cream-450x179.png

389E9508-C290-29B7-42597977048BD7CF.jpg

716F7763-C290-29B7-48887B8E9A63B89B.jpg

Matty77

As a poor person I eat a lot of off brands, but most are pretty much the same as the name but without the branding.

However I love Price Chopper saltines and the sunbeam and nabisco brands just taste stale and like the salt is off now.

As a child of the 80's I'm a bit of a brand whore. I need to bring myself to try off brand.
I know there are people who swear by shopping at places like Aldi.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I generally like generic/store-brand peanut butter more than jif and the other name brands.

Store brand cheap pizza, they are all made by the same company

Just because a name brand product and store brand are made by the same company it doesn't mean it's the same quality. Frozen pizza is a case where it's not the same stuff.

In some cases (a lot of Aldi stuff) it actually is the name brand product in those store label bags.

drspeedy

You know... Well... ummm... Most of your favorite name brands manufacture many things outside of their own plants, sometimes on the same lines (possibly with the same ingredients) as their low cost competitors.

I can't say much more, but enjoy what you like. BUT - buy premium when you find things you truly enjoy, tho. There's only so many substitutions that can be made before taste and quality are also impacted. Cost isn't everything, and that's important. Great costs more for a reason!

"Dr A+" is cracking me up, loool

C'Mon, would you have drank a doctor C-?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
You know... Well... ummm... Most of your favorite name brands manufacture many things outside of their own plants, sometimes on the same lines (possibly with the same ingredients) as their low cost competitors.

I can't say much more, but enjoy what you like. BUT - buy premium when you find things you truly enjoy, tho. There's only so many substitutions that can be made before taste and quality are also impacted. Cost isn't everything, and that's important. Great costs more for a reason!

C'Mon, would you have drank a doctor C-?

Yes, I know this.

Slayven

Just because a name brand product and store brand are made by the same company it doesn't mean it's the same quality. Frozen pizza is a case where it's not the same stuff.

In some cases (a lot of Aldi stuff) it actually is the name brand product in those store label bags.

at 99 cents to a 1.25 it is all good

FyreWulff

usually if you pretty much can't change the composition of the product for legal reasons or because of the nature of the product, the store brand is pretty much the same. like peanut butter, pasta, salad, etc. those are all good.

the more you can cut corners, like soda (use less ingredients), cheese, crackers etc are the ones you have to avoid or keep an eye on. I'll gladly get some Aldi brand turkey or yogurt but their cheese tastes like butts ass and falls apart in your mouth like eating yellow flavored paper.

I've found most of Aldi's brand stuff to be just as good.

Their frozen french fries are the best I've ever had.

Yeah I've been shopping at Aldi for the longest time and a lot of their stuff is as good as other, bigger, name brand stores. Yogurt, cheese, hummus, chips, pasta, etc etc. I do 80% of my shopping at Aldi and then go to the bigger store to get the remainder items.

jstripes

Banned
Almost anything with this logo:

SxpOXuY.png

Loblaws did an amazing job on their store brand. It's better than name brand stuff in most cases.

The Fizzicist is the best Dr Pepper variant name I have ever seen

Yeah I've been shopping at Aldi for the longest time and a lot of their stuff is as good as other, bigger, name brand stores. Yogurt, cheese, hummus, chips, pasta, etc etc. I do 80% of my shopping at Aldi and then go to the bigger store to get the remainder items.

If Aldi had a better produce section and better not food items like toilet paper and soap, I could do my entire grocery shopping there. I don't need those things weekly, though, so I can easily just shop at Aldi every week and occasionally go get what I need at another store.

Cut my food bill in half since I started going and I feel like I'm eating better food, since the lack of variety means I don't buy as much garbage food, since I have to make due with what is at the store.

Some of the Kroger Premium Ice cream is pretty tops.

All of the Kroger Private Selection line is pretty top notch. I just had one of their frozen pizzas yesterday, and it was better than most brand names. Also their chips are A+.

Edit: & Kroger Simple Truth (their organic line) is pretty great.

Schlep

real sugar store brand dr pepper is the shit
25622509513_a2964bc3b5_b.jpg

This stuff is actually better than Dr. Pepper.

I buy pretty much everything store brand. The price difference is usually huge (40-70%), and the quality is almost always the same or better (Kroger and Sprouts brands). I think the only thing I buy name brand is Oreos or certain candy whenever the craving hits.

Nordicus

I'll gladly get some Aldi brand turkey or yogurt but their cheese tastes like butts ass and falls apart in your mouth like eating yellow flavored paper.
Speaking of cheese, many off brand hard cheeses in Finland have a texture problem.

When edam is too soft, and you try to carve a slice off with a cheese plane, the cheese starts sticking to the plane, accumulating on the blade bit by bit, and the surface of the cheese becomes rough and uneven, making it so after a few days you can't use the plane because the cheese is gonna break apart into chunks if you apply any force.

Amalthea

Banned
It's kind of cheating but local major retailer sells a brand of foreign potato chips that I really like in their non-brand discount line.

FyreWulff

i have yet to taste a good cheap brand coke a cola. tastes nasty.

chips though... usually the no name cheese puffs tastes good.

Hy Vee makes a good cherry soda, but i legit can't even remember if they have an imitation Coca cola

avoid their tomato sauce anything though, shit's like 50% water

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
All of the Kirkland stuff I've had has been quality, but their microwave popcorn really is god-tier. Great flavor, not greasy, no coloring. I destroyed a bag last night.

How many servings with calories per bag?

I buy microwavable popcorn from Trader Joe's. Not the best I've had, but it's 130 calories a bag and the bag is enough for me.

SickBoy

Almost anything with this logo:

SxpOXuY.png

Loblaws did an amazing job on their store brand. It's better than name brand stuff in most cases.

Not sure about "most cases," but I agree in general. PC is a quality brand. I also love the fact that they produce more than knock-offs. In fact, I think their original stuff is where they shine brightest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom