• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The pixie gives me a lot of nostalgia, but C looks like Migi from Parasyte. Hmmm.

Also, lol that Gunvolt shoutout.

I hope they aren't that lazy to recycle the Volt Chains animation from the 3DS assets. :/

Crocodile

Familiars A and D are clearly the best options. Not sure why we can't have all four though :/

I'm also wondering if they are transformations? I'd hope so - maybe this will be a chance to make the wolf good for something other than map percentage completion :p

This update also confirms there will be a live stream on the last day!

It'll blow past it during the final day push near the end if not before, I wouldn't sweat it.

Hell I expect we hit it by next Monday

This was a common sentiment early in the campaign when it was just a teaser site. There is a whole population (generation?) of gamers who have only ever played Metroidvanias on handhelds. Zero Mission, Fusion, the GBA Castlevanias, the DS Castlevanias, even SotN on the PSP/Vita. I expect the Vita version to be popular.

Given the Kickstarter surge, I think I'm right.

The Wii U goal becoming a reality rather than just a stretch goal is a big part of it too. But handheld "Castlevania" is good to have back :)

Instro

Somewhat clearly is very wrong way to interpret what they said. The shared platform/architecture stuff was no where at that press conference, and they literally have only said NX is a dedicated video game machine. Anything else is stuff you added on yourself.

Well since they've been relatively frank about their shared architecture plans, its pretty logical to think that the NX is describing both the next handheld and console.

georly

New Project Update

Best SotN ability returns.

Indeed. Here are all 4, embedded, for anyone that hasn't seen them:

Now then—IGA and Inti Creates have sent over some great concept art this week. It's time to take a look at special attacks.
It wouldn't be an IGA game without some special moves, right? Here's a few hints at what's to come, along with quick names and descriptions from IGA. (All of this, of course, is subject to change during development.)

SwJgLFd.jpg

Gluttony Summon: Attacks enemy by summoning an angry spirit that devours anything and everything in its path.

RMQ0at8.jpg

Magical Throne: Materializes a chair that speeds up MP replenishment. Looks very relaxing.

khQ57Xl.jpg

Voltic Chain: Summons electrified chains to attack all enemies with electric volts. This is a special “seventh" ability—not a demonic one.

TTjkwrn.jpg

Winestained: Throws a wineglass in anger, increasing the effectiveness of certain abilities.

Will these be "equip skill, press up b" type moves, or will these be secret button combination moves, or both? I guess, are these "Aria/Dawn style", "Ecclesia Style," "Symphony Style," or a combination of 2 or more?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I'm also wondering if they are transformations? I'd hope so - maybe this will be a chance to make the wolf good for something other than map percentage completion :p

The wolf was good for speedy travel, especially once you could do the attack dash. Plus for knocking down all them bloody skeletons.

Miriam might want to pull that corset up a bit on the sides. :p

Apart from that minor thing, love the new art.
Since you mentioned it before I saw it for myself, there is no way I can under it. Oh well, just a small wardrobe malfunction. Somewhat related, who else hopes since this game is 2.5D and they wouldn't have to redraw all the animations, that there will be armor sets that change what she is actually wearing instead of a palette swap? Preferably with the option to choose one set for looks and one for stats, an option growing in popularity it seems, note how Xenoblade Chronicles X let's you do the same in endgame.
I wonder what she would say when throwing the wine glass....

I hope it's "Have at you!"
I hope its something that isn't wordy, I was gonna say it'd be better to keep random combat shouts to a minimum but everyone loves "Dark Metamorphosis", right? "Have at you!" is pretty good, and a still better than "What is a man?". You have to consider the possibility of hearing this several times in a row in very quick succession. On a very relevant note, I really hope they've been vetting a voice actress for Miriam for a while now. It'd be such a let down in my opinion to not get a glimpse of how our protagonist will sound, the same goes for Johannes of course, but Miriam is the main character, and all we have to show for voice actors is men. That David Hayter was a known factor since day one still seems kind of "baity", like he was contacted briefly by Ben Judd for the project, not chosen by IGA after any kind of audition. I like the guy as Snake, and I'm betting he will probably pull a good performance for Gebel (his Jedi Knight in SWTOR was pretty good I hear and not anywhere as "gravel mouthed" as he's known for), but I still feel casting him as Gebel was more of a way to get funding than an artistic decision from IGA.
Will these be "equip skill, press up b" type moves, or will these be secret button combination moves, or both? I guess, are these "Aria/Dawn style", "Ecclesia Style," "Symphony Style," or a combination of 2 or more?
I hope its a combination. Having a few moves assignable to two buttons (bumpers probably), with some special combination ones available that are more directly "spell" like would be a good idea. Maybe every move has a button combo, and every move can be assigned to either of the two buttons, so people who have trouble pulling of something complicated can at least assigned the tough ones to the bumpers. It would fit well with SotN's efforts to make Castlevania more accessible, while leaving room for mastery (high level players still have plenty of the moves and their combos to learn and master). I'd prefer some to be designed for one click use, and some designed more as "spells" with a combination activation, in order to balance out their functionally as two similar but separate functions, but I'm good.
The wolf was good for speedy travel, especially once you could do the attack dash. Plus for knocking down all them bloody skeletons.
And it seems pretty good against Galamoth, I'm fighting him now for the first time and when I figured out how to get behind him by dashing, I decided I would kill him before Dracula. To tell the truth I'm actually still finishing the first playthrough I started in fall 2013. I think I stopped shortly before the inverted castle, came back way later and got pretty far in it (all "pieces of Vlad") stopped again, and have jumped in to try to finish the fight recently. It probably says a lot about the game's quality that I was willing to back this before I had even played any of the other "Igavanias", or even finished his first.

Because Nintendo has somewhat clearly suggested that the NX project is a console and an accompanying handheld that use a shared ecosystem of games. All this information is in the announcement.

I read that announcement. All that Iwata said (the very minuscule "announcement") pointed to a handheld console. Ie, the next DS/Gameboy.

It feels like funding has increased noticeably since the Vita version was revealed. I wonder if it's just a placebo effect.

When Wii U stretch goal was revealed, it sped up on the way to $3 million.

I guess future KS's should take note: if you want people to give you money, make extra platform ports into stretch goals. You'll be rolling in the dosh.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
3ijHkLE.jpg

lol this is so ridiculous it's awesome.

Now where have I seen that idea before?

Oh that's right...

A crystal wine glass as a sub-weapon would be neat. It would make Miriam yell "Have at you!" (or "what is a man") everytime she uses it, and make a shattering sound when it hits the ground/target.

GAF -> IGA -> GAF? ^^

Although there should probably be a (IGA ->) there at the start. Glad it's included in any case. Oh and B/D for familiars imo.

Link1110

I'd love to see Hayter as the boss of the clock tower level

"How did you get here? Those metal gears should've grinded you to death!"

Finally broke down and bumped up to $100. I had considered it before for the soundtrack, and the Kojima slipcover pretty much pushed me to the edge, but I was uncertain about how much I wanted the rest of the items in the set. It means not backing a couple other kickstarters like Bard's Tale IV, but I can't resist.

Evilmaus

YO! That orchestral music stretch goal!

THAT'S what I need. Upping my pledge from $100 to $150 in an attempt to make this happen.

Rymuth

Orchestrated tracks revealed.

It's only for some, though.

Nice to know more about Miriam's background. Anyone else getting a queasy feeling at the sight of her crystallized skin?

georly

versus mode for sure.

Wonder if it's 'who can do this level better' or 'fight each other.'

Also, sigh, that's a lot of exposed... curse...

Also, she looks way better without that dumb crown thing.

Top Bottom