• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

system11

I wish I hadn't sold my ltd edition PAL SOTN, those things cost a fortune now and running that on a PS2 is still the best way to play the game. The PSN/PS3 one has dreadful latency.

Of course that statement is anecdotal. But it's definitely an aspect to consider.

Well maybe I exaggerated when I said "almost all", but the point is that SotN definitely is one of the most popular and well-known exploration/action platformers, and the most popular among the Igavanias.

No argument there from me.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That said, this kickstarter kinda backs up the publisher that didnt want to fund the game, no? I mean how many people donated to this kicstarter? A few thousand?

This is a real false equivalence though. Kickstarter backers are not the same as sales. There are tons of people (myself included) who aren't going to back it on kickstarter but will buy it on launch. On top of that, there is the HUGE portion of people who just don't know about, or don't pay attention to Kickstarter.

For example: Divinity Original Sin had 19.5k backers on kickstarter. The final game has ~820k owners. I'd say this style of game is certainly less niche than hardcore PC-centric turn based strategy RPGs are.

Parsnip

No youtube archive of the stream yet? For some reason all my attempts at downloading the twitch stream directly are failing with the usual tools and I hate the twitch stream player with passion.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Can't watch the video for now. Is that a sequel to 3D Dot Game Heroes?

No. It's a Roguelike indie game about a game developer who's making an RPG. You control the player in the game, but the game isn't finished and has bugs and stuff. Looks so-so.

I wish I hadn't sold my ltd edition PAL SOTN, those things cost a fortune now and running that on a PS2 is still the best way to play the game. The PSN/PS3 one has dreadful latency.
I would argue for the Dracula X Chronicles version being the best experience, personally.

Xerotwo

tumblr_npv0xgxypg1uy7fb7o1_r1_1280.jpg

Source

Best Familiar wins

ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

That's awkward smile isn't it?

ORE NO FAMILIAR DA!!!!!

So much JoJo love.

I would argue for the Dracula X Chronicles version being the best experience, personally.

I'm playing that one right now. Funding this finally pushed me to get around to playing my Metroidvania backlog - and, among them, my first proper Igavania ever.

I realize now that I've actually been missing out on what Igavania is about - everything else I have is clearly more Metroid than Castlevania. Time to fix that.

JackelZXA

Furthermore, while the games before LoS were good. they were on handheld only whereas these days you need to hit all relevant platforms. This is probably why I expect more handheld-only franchises that are coming over the West to be multiplatform next-gen.

it wasn't that iga's games SOLD less, it's that retail prices for games went down every year, so his games sold roughly the same, but they made less money back due to games going down to like $30 by the time OoE came out. :(

I was quite amazed in yesterday's stream to see they actually plan to ship the game with everything in 2017. I assumed it would either get severely delayed or the extra stuff would be patched in later. I guess they're just planning on hiring a ton more people with the extra money?

The Mythical Man-Month suggests that throwing more people at it won't solve the issue of feature creep that easily.

Did you get a weapon tier? Mahou Shoujo Miri-chan?

Yeah.

They did a pretty good job of making sure that the stretch goals are things that can be developed more or less independently of the main team once the assets are available to work with. The increased scope of the game shouldn't delay it too badly.

Agreed.

Once you have created the base assets and mechanics, it won't be difficult to make, say, a random generator that spits out a procedurally generated dungeon.

Unlike Yacht Club, who basically have to completely redesign the levels to fit their new characters' mechanics.

Istaerion

Has there been any word when we'll be able to upgrade our pledges? Will it just be something we'll be able to do once surveys are sent out?

Apologies if this has been answered before; been a busy week so I wasn't able to keep track of the campaign in its final hours nor the aftermath.

I'm curious on a business point of view how these people are able to give out the backer rewards like digital and physical copies of the game, art books and stuff when I've heard from a couple of people on here who are in the industry say that even with funding money the game could still cost more to make.

drotahorror

I'm curious on a business point of view how these people are able to give out the backer rewards like digital and physical copies of the game, art books and stuff when I've heard from a couple of people on here who are in the industry say that even with funding money the game could still cost more to make.

That's kind of why I'm wondering if some other big publisher might swoop them up and give them more funding. We NEED a 50 million dollar Igavania.

mrpeabody

They have publisher funding, and they were very upfront about it. It's even in the pitch video.

Eusis

They have publisher funding, and they were very upfront about it. It's even in the pitch video.
Add this to the fact Deep Silver trademarked Bloodstained, and it's kind of funny to even say something like that. That Kickstarter was explicitely for the purpose of getting a publisher to come in and fund it, then everyone matched the publisher's funding anyway.

So this looks to be getting 10 million minimum unless Deep Silver decides to cheap out, and even then I can see that being more "oh, we'll use 5 million to market it then."

Fangamer know what it costs to make and ship stuff, and are the ones Iga hired to handle that stuff for the kickstarter.

It is definitely a trap kickstarters can fall into where they under-estimate the real cost of creating/storing/shipping physical rewards, but thats very unlikely to be the case here.

Rymuth

Been a while, you guys. Small update from IGA via Siliconera

IGA said:
“We’re not 100% sure that we’re going to add in transformation aspects to the game, especially at this early phase of development, but I can say that all of the developers attached do love transformations as a key concept—it’s been prevalent in a lot of our games before after all—so I think there’s a good chance you may see that element in the game. Beyond the curse, as you mentioned.”

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Sweet. I've been playing a lot of Harmony of Despair lately, but I miss the proper transformation abilities.

I just hope the transformations make sense instead of being like "here Soma, you can now turn into a giant half naked woman with 4 arms, enjoy the new fetish"

Ambitious

Felt like playing some Metroidvania. For some reason, I've never played Harmony of Dissonance, but fortunately I was able to find a cheap copy. Man, I seriously missed this kind of game. It's great. Not as good as SotN, AoS/DoS or OoE, but still quite enjoyable. The music sucks, though.

Can't wait for Bloodstained.

Dremark

Banned
Well, that was supposed to be Kali if I'm not mistaken.

I replayed AoS recently and was mortified they translated that as Curly.

Felt like playing some Metroidvania. For some reason, I've never played Harmony of Dissonance, but fortunately I was able to find a cheap copy. Man, I seriously missed this kind of game. It's great. Not as good as SotN, AoS/DoS or OoE, but still quite enjoyable. The music sucks, though.

I feel it's weak and the worst game in the series of it's type. It's not a bad game though, it's just kind of outclassed by a lot of the others.

Jebral

I actually liked the dual castle. It was a strange, tedious game to get around in. I recall reading that they sacrificed sound quality to enhance graphics, and the game is super neon bright in response to Circle of the Moon, which was was damn near unplayable on the original GBA hardware due to darkness. It helped when we had crappy, dull screens, but now the game is bright and almost garish.

Basically: Skill system was good, same as Lament of Innocence where you combine the books with subweapons. Jumping was too floaty though, and as good as every other character in the game looked, Juste himself is some super awful bad looking main character animation wise, and boring otherwise. The game itself would be so much better if I didn't have to look at the terribly animated thing for my entire play time.

Also, it's super easy and you should unlock hard and never look back.

Maxim and his triple jump was pretty dope too.

Also, I wish it had more than whips. I know Juste is the unpopular outcast Belmont that no one remembers or likes, and he can't use anything but a whip. whips are awesome, but so are options!

Top Bottom