• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Where is the Tier Manager on KickStarter? I can't find it. Is there even one up after a project has been finished? I got an e-mail and it said I could change it if I hadn't used PayPal. I can't find it and I've looked everywhere on the site, on Google, and etc. I can find out how to change your reward before it finishes, but this was after the KS finished. I sent the request after it had ended.

I don't think there's an actual "Tier Manager" on KS.

Eusis

Where is the Tier Manager on KickStarter? I can't find it. Is there even one up after a project has been finished? I got an e-mail and it said I could change it if I hadn't used PayPal. I can't find it and I've looked everywhere on the site, on Google, and etc. I can find out how to change your reward before it finishes, but this was after the KS finished. I sent the request after it had ended.

They may send surveys and allow you to upgrade with those. Pillars of Eternity for example I upgraded through Obsidian's site, but far as Kickstarter is concerned what I had pledged by the time their funding ended is what I put in.

Giolon

There isn't. You'll have to wait until the project gets its post-kickstarter portal or whatever they use in order, then you'll be able to bump up your pledge.

When a Kickstarter ends, you're locked as far as Kickstarter is concerned.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
They may send surveys and allow you to upgrade with those. Pillars of Eternity for example I upgraded through Obsidian's site, but far as Kickstarter is concerned what I had pledged by the time their funding ended is what I put in.

There isn't. You'll have to wait until the project gets its post-kickstarter portal or whatever they use in order, then you'll be able to bump up your pledge.

When a Kickstarter ends, you're locked as far as Kickstarter is concerned.

Yes. I remember that. I created an account and selected my tiers for Pillars of Eternity.

I saw the Survey. I noticed none of my other projects had a Survey. Some had ended quite a long time ago.

The message may have been an automated response to the question or for backers during the initial run time.

I also received some info regarding Timespinner a while ago, so this will be just as similar to those other projects.

Dremark

Banned
The DS was incredibly popular though. and while the PS2 games had very mixed reception, they were still on the best selling home console.

Not that it matters, we hit 5.5 million! the series has a vocal fanbase, im just a bit worried the main game is going to feel a bit rushed to make room for all these secondary modes and extras.

The DS was a very popular platform, but the core audience was aging gamers (For lack of a better term) which doesn't exactly fit the demographic of the DS or handhelds in general.

I actually bought the GBA and the DS largely for the Castlevania games on them.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Would be nice to see a staff with a cracked mirror on top with the flower detail that throws the shards at the enemies. Shards could have a random effect on enemies depending on the color of the shards are.

Dremark

Banned
*gulps*

wBBGBo3.png

I thought I went hard on this. I gotta figure out what to put in the credits unless they actually let me just dump on Konami. Although I have a feeling if they do all the special messages might end up like that.

Even though the games were annualized, Dawn, Aria and Ecclesia are still among my favorite games of all time, and so is SOTN obviously

(see my post above)

We were getting Castlevania games every year, sometimes two but they mixed things up quite a bit with the 3D entries and a few Classic style ones. I dunno maybe it's because I love the series so much but it never felt like it was too much.

You were looking like Uncle Phil there man! lol

RIP ;_;

I watched a scattered hour of the 4 total of today's stream so I must ask something:

Any word on Miriam's voice actress?

I really hope they don't intend to make her a mute blank slate of a character.

I have no idea how to actually use Photoshop and I'm a terrible artist to boot but this is a very crude and early concept of how Miriam's magical girl staff might look.

concept.jpg

If anybody knows of a good freeform drawing application to use on a Surface Pro 2 you should let me know ASAP. Thanks.

Going to look forward to using this so much! :D

Shy

I posted this a few pages ago, but i thought i'd post it again in case it lost in the excitement.

I would really love it if they did a star citizen style weekly youtube production report show.

Also i hope they add native steam controller support for PC, even if it's the GOG version.
Any word on Miriam's voice actress?
Not yet, sorry.

Ah, fie, I missed the chance to pledge.

Ah well, if the game ends up delivering on its promises, I'll happily buy it when it comes out in 2017.

Anyway, grats to IGA and everyone! Now deliver a good game, dudes.

Theonik

Ah, fie, I missed the chance to pledge.

Ah well, if the game ends up delivering on its promises, I'll happily buy it when it comes out in 2017.

Anyway, grats to IGA and everyone! Now deliver a good game, dudes.
You can still contribute in the non-limited tiers through PayPal I think.

I got the news while I was working out at the gym earlier. almost 5.6m, that's insane. I'm glad to be apart of it all. Can't wait for this game to be in my hands. Officially my most anticipated title.

I have no idea how to actually use Photoshop and I'm a terrible artist to boot but this is a very crude and early concept of how Miriam's magical girl staff might look.

concept.jpg

If anybody knows of a good freeform drawing application to use on a Surface Pro 2 you should let me know ASAP. Thanks.

MyPaint is a free and open source drawing application and it supports pressure sensitivity. (If not, you might have to install the Wacom Feel driver...)

It was more on feeling that the Castlevania name and interest in the formula those titles eventually offered was for a very niche audience. I mean, Konami went of their way for years saying that the franchise became unprofitable and the audience was declining in massive droves, hence the need for a reboot. That was their entire rhetoric on just abandoning everything pre-Lords of Shadow.

Of course this is Konami, so there's some obvious bullshit to their claims, but Iga's games did continue to sell less and less..

Similar was in effect for a lot of other Kickstarters, there was even a comic about it. Publishers deemed game type X as unprofitable, will not fund follow ups, but when taken to Kickstarter gets more than enough to be funded. I think from this they either A. misread the market, B. HAVEN'T misread the market, but it's that the profit isn't desirable to them even though the niche is sizable enough to at least mostly fund these games, and/or C. point B is in effect, but the Kickstarter campaign and word of mouth creates more money and attention than the publisher could have generated via conventional methods.

[...]

EDIT: Seriously though SotN was seen as crazy niche and not so popular, but ultimately had enough of a following to get SIX portable games in its style and Iga the opportunity to make 9 more CV games. At worst OoE had harshly declined popularity, and that can be fatigue more than not wanting it anymore. Even then it seemed more that some people at Konami felt that while that was successful they could go for WAY more with the IP and managed to... for one game anyway.

The gothic-themed exploration/action platformer is a niche. If you look at the number of individual backers and the average pledge (just short of 65k backers with an average pledge of about 85$) you will see that this genre is indeed fairly niche, but, and here's the big but, these niche customers are more than willing to pay a lot more than AAA retail price of 60$ for a game like that, which shows that they are a market that is a lot more willing to spend more money on it. You will see that most people who play the multiplayer Castlevania HD on XBLA/PS3 will have almost all, if not all, of the DLC for it, which all put together was sold for as much as the base game itself (15$).

However, as I've mentioned multiple times in here, publishers don't want some money, they want all of the money. They're not satisfied with a decently cheap-made game and have it sell for a few hundred thousand copies. They want a title that sells millions of copies. And Castlevania never sold millions of copies - however Konami had a small and willing base of customers that would buy most or all entries to the series.

Also, SotN is arguably one of the most popular title of the series, and I'd say it ranks after Castlevania 1 (NES) and Super Castlevania IV (SNES). Almost everybody who had a PS1 played SotN.

Man, that'd be fantastic!
I suggested the chakram to be a trick weapon if allowed in the idea thread. That particular chakram looks like it might split nicely in twin tomahawks for a special attack or something. We allready have swordwhip with two modes so why no GAFram?

Edit: An IGA sword might be cool too. With a rendition of his head on the sword guard or pommel.

This whole project, from start to finish, has made me feel delighted to be a gamer. Much needed, after a lot of negativity in recent months.

Good luck Iga, Yamane, Yamada, Kojima, Amano, Hayter, Belgrade, Inti Creates, Armature and co!

If I had to nitpick one thing from this whole Kickstarter (which they obviously still hit out of the park) would be the choice of host for this last stream.

I like the guy and I've seen some of his videos on his channel but he didn't know a thing about Castlevania and probably no previous Iga work. Hell he had Michiru goddamned Yamane sitting next to him and he was asking for her name.

So many things crossed my mind that me, as a fan, would've loved to ask her but this guy went pretty general.

The stream was still overall good and entertaining but I'll be damned if more than once I didn't found myself wishing the host knew his Castlevania history and/or was a fan.

And now we wait.

PS: Since we still lack an announcement I'll begin to push my personal agenda to get Jennifer Hale (FemShep from Mass Effect, Naomi Hunter from MGS) for Miriam's VA.

munchie64

If I had to nitpick one thing from this whole Kickstarter (which they obviously still hit out of the park) would be the choice of host for this last stream.

I like the guy and I've seen some of his videos on his channel but he didn't know a thing about Castlevania and probably no previous Iga work. Hell he had Michiru goddamned Yamane sitting next to him and he was asking for her name.

So many things crossed my mind that me, as a fan, would've loved to ask her but this guy went pretty general.

The stream was still overall good and entertaining but I'll be damned if more than once I didn't found myself wishing the host knew his Castlevania history and/or was a fan.

And now we wait.

PS: Since we still lack an announcement I'll begin to push my personal agenda to get Jennifer Hale (FemShep from Mass Effect, Naomi Hunter from MGS) for Miriam's VA.
To be fair he was asked to do the stream like four days before the stream. In theory, he should have refused, but a trip to Japan and a bunch of channel views would be hard to resist.

I'm just happy every seemed to be having fun. They deserve it with the work they have ahead o_0

Evilmaus

Fantastic news to wake-up to. So happy we hit the 5.5mil mark.

Now we just have to sit and stew for 2 years while Iga and his team get to work.

ZoddGutts

And now we wait.

They should have just send Liam senpai from BestFriends crew, as he knows his Castlevania stuff and would know Yamane as well, plus his a huge weeab he would love to get a chance to go to Japan for any reason.

The gothic-themed exploration/action platformer is a niche. If you look at the number of individual backers and the average pledge (just short of 65k backers with an average pledge of about 85$) you will see that this genre is indeed fairly niche, but, and here's the big but, these niche customers are more than willing to pay a lot more than AAA retail price of 60$ for a game like that, which shows that they are a market that is a lot more willing to spend more money on it. You will see that most people who play the multiplayer Castlevania HD on XBLA/PS3 will have almost all, if not all, of the DLC for it, which all put together was sold for as much as the base game itself (15$).

However, as I've mentioned multiple times in here, publishers don't want some money, they want all of the money. They're not satisfied with a decently cheap-made game and have it sell for a few hundred thousand copies. They want a title that sells millions of copies. And Castlevania never sold millions of copies - however Konami had a small and willing base of customers that would buy most or all entries to the series.

Also, SotN is arguably one of the most popular title of the series, and I'd say it ranks after Castlevania 1 (NES) and Super Castlevania IV (SNES). Almost everybody who had a PS1 played SotN.

Not even close. Did SOTN even break 10mil copies sold? Even then thatd be only about 10% of the ps1 userbase.

Gbraga

I was quite amazed in yesterday's stream to see they actually plan to ship the game with everything in 2017. I assumed it would either get severely delayed or the extra stuff would be patched in later. I guess they're just planning on hiring a ton more people with the extra money?

concept.jpg

Did you get a weapon tier? Mahou Shoujo Miri-chan?

Gbraga

Lol my stepping in for Ben was totally unplanned. I was not prepared to talk for Igarashi! I'm not a translator!

That was you? You were so cool, senpai
VaBNcxc.png

Loved your voice and answers. The host was a bit obnoxious after he had a few beers, but I really liked that he actually asked questions to other people, yourself included, instead of just focusing on Iga.

I wish he asked Ben some questions too.

tumblr_npv0xgxypg1uy7fb7o1_r1_1280.jpg

Source

Best Familiar wins

ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Oh, oh, nvm, saw the update, can't believe I missed it and didn't vote!

Saladinoo

Jesus this is going to be insane! I watched the first half hour of the stream last night, but I just couldn't stay awake (it started at midnight in the UK). Is there an easy way to watch it now or does twitch not keep a backup of live streams?

Play != Own.
Most people I know also rented the game or borrowed it from a friend. Or pirated it.

Anecdotal. And though play doesnt mean own there is in no way that 100mil ps1 owners played SOTN at one point. It was and still is a very niche game.

That said, this kickstarter kinda backs up the publisher that didnt want to fund the game, no? I mean how many people donated to this kicstarter? A few thousand? And many donated many times what the actual price of the game will actually cost upon release.

Still glad to see fans put their money where their mouth is and at the very least the games cost of development is covered. Here's to making a profit now.

Anecdotal.

Of course that statement is anecdotal. But it's definitely an aspect to consider.

And though play doesnt mean own there is in a no way that 100mil ps1 owners played SOTN at one point. It is and remains a very niche game.

Well maybe I exaggerated when I said "almost all", but the point is that SotN definitely is one of the most popular and well-known exploration/action platformers, and the most popular among the Igavanias.

Top Bottom