• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

Wanderer5

And here I legit thought that they wouldn't even be able to make their original goal.

They amassed more money than what Deep Silver is spending on the game. Wow.

Never underestimate the Castlevania and IGA's following.:p

I so happy this is happening. I wish these guys the best of luck.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Wow 10.5 million budget. Should be way beyond anything Iga has ever worked with I bet.

Good question. What was the budget for SOTN? Anyone knows?

If IGA clears $9M after kickstarter % and physical reward fulfillment, that ought to be enough for a 20-30 person team for a solid 2 years. If all goes well, I expect a AAA masterpiece of SOTN caliber. The only limiting factor is the last-gen cross-play.

Even so, I feel like this will leave Mighty no. 9 in the dust when it comes out :)

Dr.Acula

Banned
Wait, so if you only pledged 28 dollars you don't get access to any of the extra features? Like multiplayer, or the rogue dungeon etc. etc.

The backer content is a secret weapon (
sword-whip
) and secret boss (
IGA!!
). All the other stuff is for everyone. Also the case is special if you kickstarted.

Kumubou

Okay cool. Are the PS4/Vita versions cross-buy? What about the retail copies?
Nothing known about cross-buy, so I would assume not. However, cross-buy did get added really late into Mighty No.9s run up to release and Bloodstained is using the same publisher, so it's not entirely impossible.

All platforms will have retail copies. You want a Wii U disc or a Vita card? Go for it.

I wonder how duckroll feels right now :D
How many Ls can $5.5 million dollars buy?

So I wasn't really clear from all the updates, is this going to have campaign co-op? I saw there was a stretch for local co-op, an online challenge mode and multiple characters. I would love to play online story co-op with my bro who's living in another state. I'm not sure if that's part of the package though? Backed at $125 regardless.

Foffy

Banned
I had complete faith they'd hit the original goal, just based on how similar Kickstarters went down in the past. Castlevania's definitely been more like Mega Man or Torment in regards to vocal fanbases than Ultima Underworld or Quest for Glory, and their spiritual successors still got funded.

No way did I expect it to hit $5.5 million though, figured it'd end at around MN9's level.

It was more on feeling that the Castlevania name and interest in the formula those titles eventually offered was for a very niche audience. I mean, Konami went of their way for years saying that the franchise became unprofitable and the audience was declining in massive droves, hence the need for a reboot. That was their entire rhetoric on just abandoning everything pre-Lords of Shadow.

Of course this is Konami, so there's some obvious bullshit to their claims, but Iga's games did continue to sell less and less..

All platforms will have retail copies. You want a Wii U disc or a Vita card? Go for it.

Right, I meant if the retail copies were cross-buy though. If that's the case, I'd go for a Vita version with a PS4 download code, but if not, I'll get it on Steam.

In any case though, I can decide that when the surveys go out. I'm in for a physical copy. Thanks so much for your help!

Eusis

Okay cool. Are the PS4/Vita versions cross-buy? What about the retail copies?
There's been no word on that. The best we can do is hope MN9 is establishing precedent, and it may well given everyone involved: Inticreates developed MN9, someone else ported it down, Deep Silver is almost certainly publishing both, and we now have solid word that the Kickstarter version of MN9 is retroactively cross buy. The fact this will go for more and is hitting Vita retail (for backers anyway) may decrease the odds, but that may be balanced out by the fact the Vita's probably going to be all but dead by then so they may go "well no harm in doing it for the sake of customer service."
It was more on feeling that the Castlevania name and interest in the formula those titles eventually offered was for a very niche audience. I mean, Konami went of their way for years saying that the franchise became unprofitable and the audience was declining in massive droves, hence the need for a reboot. That was their entire rhetoric on just abandoning everything pre-Lords of Shadow.

Of course this is Konami, so there's some obvious bullshit to their claims, but Iga's games did continue to sell less and less..
Similar was in effect for a lot of other Kickstarters, there was even a comic about it. Publishers deemed game type X as unprofitable, will not fund follow ups, but when taken to Kickstarter gets more than enough to be funded. I think from this they either A. misread the market, B. HAVEN'T misread the market, but it's that the profit isn't desirable to them even though the niche is sizable enough to at least mostly fund these games, and/or C. point B is in effect, but the Kickstarter campaign and word of mouth creates more money and attention than the publisher could have generated via conventional methods.

I do think it may vary a bit in each case, PoE and WL2 for example probably could have been made had the publisher the developers belonged to not screwed itself up beyond all recognition (and DA kind of proves that at worst you just needed flashier graphics for RTwP games) and 3D platformers probably would be nicely profitable if anyone'd bother to develop and market them well. MN9 and Bloodstained, on the other hand, probably gained A LOT going this course that they couldn't have otherwise, but who knows for sure.

EDIT: Seriously though SotN was seen as crazy niche and not so popular, but ultimately had enough of a following to get SIX portable games in its style and Iga the opportunity to make 9 more CV games. At worst OoE had harshly declined popularity, and that can be fatigue more than not wanting it anymore. Even then it seemed more that some people at Konami felt that while that was successful they could go for WAY more with the IP and managed to... for one game anyway.

Sciz

This time a week ago, I figured it'd top out at $4.5M, based on how the final pushes for a few other game Kickstarters went. Absolutely bananas performance in the end there.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Wow, I hit the digital copy instead of the physical one. I was sent an email, so I replied on KS. I wanted the Physical Copy. I hope that can be changed.

This game is going to be deep. Look at all them fucking modes and shit. I just got finished with Ecclesia and am wondering if this game will have just as many weapons and spells.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Konami: Nyeeeh, our research shows that nobody wants 2D Castlevania games anymore. By research, we mean our asses. IGA, go make another Kinect game.
IGA: Never! I am out!

IGA: And that's pretty much what happened. Prove Konami wrong everyone.
Everyone: HERE'S $5.5 MILLION! MAKE IT HAPPEN!

georly

This was a wild ride, and I'm glad we got every single stretch goal. Amazing.

This game has potential to be the best igavania, and I pray it becomes just that. With more time and money than they've ever had, I hope this all goes well. I look forward to my goty 2017.

Good night everyone, this was fun!

chrono01

Wow, I hit the digital copy instead of the physical one. I was sent an email, so I replied on KS. I wanted the Physical Copy. I hope that can be changed.
As long as the tier you're interested in isn't limited [such as the Igarashi Ring one], you're able to upgrade your pledge to a higher tier once the surveys go out. No worries.

Usobuko

Banned

Furthermore, while the games before LoS were good. they were on handheld only whereas these days you need to hit all relevant platforms. This is probably why I expect more handheld-only franchises that are coming over the West to be multiplatform next-gen.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
As long as the tier you're interested in isn't limited [such as the Igarashi Ring one], you're able to upgrade your pledge to a higher tier once the surveys go out. No worries.
image.jpg

I sure hope so.

Over $5.5 million, that's still so incredible looking back in the last month when even I sort of questioned $1 million total.

Now the long slow wait of two years is upon us.

chrono01

image.jpg

I sure hope so.
Yeah, you're fine. It was mentioned in the FAQ section of the Kickstarter campaign page, so even if you pledged the lowest amount [$5], you'd still have access to upgrading to the higher tiers [outside of limited ones] later on.

That is, unless things change but I doubt they will. There would be plenty of upset people.

Eusis

It's only a year and nine months guys, come on!
Saying it like this makes it seem like it isn't that much time.
Or as if delays aren't practically inevitable with Kickstarters.

I'm honestly relieved to notice it was March 2017 as the estimated date rather than towards the end of 2017. Means we might actually see it that year afterall, if they were more grounded in development expectations! Though it'll probably be early 2018 instead now.

clem84

Gold Member
Damn this just rocked past the 5.5M on the kickstarter. They could have added a 5.75 stretch goal if they knew :p

Heh, kidding, would rather see that as extra Polish money.

That would have been an awesome stretch goal. "Extra polish money!"

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Aww man I missed the final streams and stuff. But wow I really did underestimate the final push, it cleared the 5 mil and then some.

Congrats to Iga and his team. Now we wait while they work hard to make the true SotN sequel. :)

IGA's wife cleared Bloodborne and wants The Witcher 3. That's awesome
His wife is awesome confirmed.

Hahaha that's adorable. I hope Iga is a weapon in the game. xD

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That's a $60 tier. You'll be able to change it easily. Neither of the $60 tiers are limited.

Yeah, you're fine. It was mentioned in the FAQ section of the Kickstarter campaign page, so even if you pledged the lowest amount [$5], you'd still have access to upgrading to the higher tiers [outside of limited ones] later on.

That is, unless things change but I doubt they will. There would be plenty of upset people.

Awesome. Hopefully it all works out. At first I was like:

darth_vader_nooo.jpg

Astral Dog

Furthermore, while the games before LoS were good. they were on handheld only whereas these days you need to hit all relevant platforms. This is probably why I expect more handheld-only franchises that are coming over the West to be multiplatform next-gen.

The DS was incredibly popular though. and while the PS2 games had very mixed reception, they were still on the best selling home console.

Not that it matters, we hit 5.5 million! the series has a vocal fanbase, im just a bit worried the main game is going to feel a bit rushed to make room for all these secondary modes and extras.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
goddamnit. the past month i was going back and forth between the 60 and 100 dollar tiers and in the last 10 seconds realized i might like beta access so i upped to 125.

now im thinking i might as well go for the artbook tier, but the conflicting descriptions are confusing. is it confirmed to be hardcover or softcover? also, do we know if japanese language box/artbook is an option?

chrono01

goddamnit. the past month i was going back and forth between the 60 and 100 dollar tiers and in the last 10 seconds realized i might like beta access so i upped to 125.

now im thinking i might as well go for the artbook tier, but the conflicting descriptions are confusing. is it confirmed to be hardcover or softcover? also, do we know if japanese language box/artbook is an option?
It's confirmed to be a hardcover. The language is English, from what I understand.

Eusis

Hardcover, it was basically the first stretch goal.

Kickstarter just won't let you change descriptions for tiers post-launch, the pictures make it clear what is in each.

Top Bottom