• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

SerTapTap

#Teamsword made more sense anyway. Whips are classicvania and I'm pretty sure there are more fans of "Igavania" AKA SOTN style. Cool to have them in as a reference of course.

It probably will have that as well, but obviously he can't mention it on the Microsoft stage.
I certainly hope so, would be really annoyed if MS started doing PC/Xbone cross play at the expense of PS when MS not Sony has been the one preventing cross play for over a generation.

Hope this is finally the generation where that BS stops and crossplay is common or even standard.

Crocodile

Given that Miriam uses Blue and Gebel uses Red, I was hoping/expecting other major characters in this game to use other primary colors Green, Yellow, etc.) As such I'm a little disappointed to see Red used again. That looks like a Bionic Arm on him - wonder if it has any grappling abilities or can shoot bullets?

Damn. Still no gameplay footage...
IGA is a very charismatic person, much more than Yu Suzuki imho, but it's not enough.

They showed a little bit at the end of the Kickstater campaign but given they are just starting, I imagine they don't have much new to show.

It was funny : IGA comes bringing a whip, Castlevania weapon per excellence, but I'm pretty sure no character in Bloodstained uses a whip.

Given his response to the Sword vs Whip results, its clear IGA has a bias towards swords.

Yeah, he does look like Gabriel. I wonder if he wanted to put in some homage after all, which would probably be a surprise to a lot of us if so.

If it isn't coincidence though it also makes me wonder if we may be looking at who could end up as the real antagonist. Or at least someone who gives into their implied dark side at some point.

I don't think Bloodstained is a proper vampire either despite the vampire push in the campaign. And the game does actually have whips for Miriam.

You're using "Bloodstained" here as if it were a person so I'm a bit confused as to what you're trying to say? Are you just saying that the game appears to lack any true vampires as of right now?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Instantly reminded me of Gabriel Belmont from the new trilogy.
Same:
goAziaGN.jpeg

I like Gabriel's design more though... >_>
Though this guy has a katana, so that's a plus. <3

Verger

Banned
Yeah, that new character has got to be an homage to Gabriel Belmont. But then again Gabriel's design was one of the best.

Eusis

You're using "Bloodstained" here as if it were a person so I'm a bit confused as to what you're trying to say? Are you just saying that the game appears to lack any true vampires as of right now?
Typed on a phone, fixed it. And yeah,seemingly a lack of actual vampires (not that I mind) in the actual game.

Wereroku

Well cross play is exclusive to XBO and pc according to Ben Judd so if you are into that plan on getting one of those versions.

Golnei

I don't mind the design - it's nothing new, but it's at least memorable and eye-catching in a way Gebel and Johannes aren't.

He's so pale I thought he wasn't wearing pants at first.

That'd be an immeasurable improvement. Hopefully they'll consider giving him a fundoshi if alternate costumes are in for everyone.

He has a weirdly gentle gaze, though.

It's to hint at his turbulent inner conflict and tragic past. Clearly, they're developing the cast with an eye towards a mobile otome spinoff.

Foffy

Banned
I know it may be too early to say, but has anything been stated on if the different playable characters come with different abilities and items to use?

I get the feeling Johannes will literally be the games Belmont character, stuck with a whip and few special abilities.

Wereroku

So Inafune tries to get new backers to help cover VA and free dlc for every platform and gets a ton of shit flung at him but Iga gets platform exclusive features from Microsoft and not a fucking hint of outrage? Man people do have it out for MN9.

So Inafune tries to get new backers to help cover VA and free dlc for every platform and gets a ton of shit flung at him but Iga gets platform exclusive features from Microsoft and not a fucking hint of outrage? Man people do have it out for MN9.

Wait, so playstation 3 and 4 users (or vita) can't crossplay, despite all being on psn?

Yeah, because Inafune asking backers for more money for basic shit and Iga taking a publisher's money for extra features is totes the same situation

WHY ARE WE NOT GIVING YATCH CLUB SHIT BECAUSE THE PLAYSTATION VERSION OF SHOVEL KNIGHT HAS EXTRA CONTENT

RK128

He isn't going to talk about PS platforms on a Microsoft stage :l; that would be very weird for Microsoft.

My bet is that we will hear about the PS Platform cross-play/cross-buy at a latter event (TGS or PSX more likely).

Yeah, because Inafune asking backers for more money for basic shit and Iga taking a publisher's money for extra features is totes the same situation

WHY ARE WE NOT GIVING YATCH CLUB SHIT BECAUSE THE PLAYSTATION VERSION OF SHOVEL KNIGHT HAS EXTRA CONTENT

With Shovel Knight, that is interesting, but the reason they made the extra content on PS and MS platforms was due to the wanting the new versions to feel 'special' from the the Wii U/3DS/PC versions. The Wii U/3DS versions 'exclusive' feature is the Miiverse stuff and the GamePad gimmicks on the Wii U. Plus I think that Yatch Club are in the talks with Nintendo to bring a new boss/extra content Nintendo themed sometime this fall/early next year (to I guess co-enside with the retail versions of the game).

No outrage is warranted in any case.

JackelZXA

No outrage is warranted in any case.

It's not that it was warranted or not, it's that Inafune gave us a lack of communication that upset people when something that would have informed an earlier decision was dropped on them. Igarashi was forward and direct about his business strategy from his game BEFORE we gave him any money and so people don't feel like someone put one over on them to get them to give them money.

Red Ash, for instance, did not address the current state of Mighty Number 9 in full, and it did not address the backing the project already had in the works. Mighty Number 9 just kept changing coarse and started doing things that weren't in the initial request for cash that rubbed people the wrong way.

If you rub someone too much they're likely to snap. Whether it's warranted or not isn't a reality of the situation, as you can't control masses of people. Morality goes right out the window and emotion takes the reigns. You have to understand general sentiment to make smart decisions on this level, and Inafune didn't. Igarashi's success is likely due to the partnership he had with Ben Judd and the guidance that offered him.

(I believe MN9's first funding had a similar partnership for their kickstarter if I remember correctly, which may be why that first campaign succeeded where Inafune's later 2 failed.)

Firemind

I think he looks ridiculous. Scarface, goatee, bare chest, cyborg arm, chainbuttons and what appears to be asian charms plastered on his body to ward off demons and ghosts.

Wereroku

Cross platform co-op is a pretty big feature to leave out of all the other consoles. Also fucking shovel knight gave every platform special features but none of them limited gameplay options like this.

TSM

Cross platform pretty much means signing into Live somehow. I wonder if we will have to download a new client since GFWL has officially been retired.

For some reasons give me vibes of the cancelled 32x Castlevania game "rival character" that would ultimately become transitioned into the sprite of Richter for SoTN

latest

sans bare chest, katana, and sexy goatee that is.

jackdoe

Cross platform co-op is a pretty big feature to leave out of all the other consoles. Also fucking shovel knight gave every platform special features but none of them limited gameplay options like this.
Honestly, if the backers make enough noise, then I can see them at least consider the possibility of crossplay on other consoles, assuming they didn't sign some sort of deal with MS that precludes the possibility of it ever happening.

But this is just a result of platform to platform quirks that give versions "exclusive" features. Kind of like Sony's cross buy stuff, i.e. for MN9, if you chose a PS platform, you get three versions of the game as opposed to other platforms that only get one.

The way they worded it,with the xboxone and windows 10 versions being cross platform leads me to believe that there's a good chance that it just refers to the version purchasable through the windows 10 app store,and that there's still a pretty good chance that the steam version could still be cross play with the other versions.

TSM

Honestly, if the backers make enough noise, then I can see them at least consider the possibility of crossplay on other consoles, assuming they didn't sign some sort of deal with MS that precludes the possibility of it ever happening.

But this is just a result of platform to platform quirks that give versions "exclusive" features. Kind of like Sony's cross buy stuff, i.e. for MN9, if you chose a PS platform, you get three versions of the game as opposed to other platforms that only get one.

Similar to crossplay with XBOX, PC crossplay with PSN would pretty much necessitate a way to sign into PSN on your PC which also doesn't currently exist.

Eusis

Similar to crossplay with XBOX, PC crossplay with PSN would pretty much necessitate a way to sign into PSN on your PC which also doesn't currently exist.
You actually can do that if its built into the game, Portal 2 pretty much did exactly this initially anyway which is why I opted for PS3 rather than PC, as I got PC that way anyway.

EDIT: Oh wait you meant crossplay not crossbuy. But it still happened with Portal 2.

TSM

Rocket league was released last month on PS4 and supports cross play with the PC version.

Cool, It looks extremely bare bones with no way to invite friends from a different platform. I'm assuming that they are handling the cross platform traffic themselves. It seems like something Iga could do, but they'd have to be willing to develop and maintain the infrastructure themselves.

You actually can do that if its built into the game, Portal 2 pretty much did exactly this initially anyway which is why I opted for PS3 rather than PC, as I got PC that way anyway.

But in that situation you signed into Steam on the PS3 and Valve had the infrastructure set up to handle it all already. I was thinking Iga would rather leverage existing infrastructure rather then to build and maintain his own.

Wereroku

The way they worded it,with the xboxone and windows 10 versions being cross platform leads me to believe that there's a good chance that it just refers to the version purchasable through the windows 10 app store,and that there's still a pretty good chance that the steam version could still be cross play with the other versions.

Here is Ben Judds response about the crossplay:

No exclusive content beyond cross play which is largely only possible thanks to Microsoft's support. They have been great and really collaborative.

Microsoft is supporting it somehow which probably means it isn't coming to other versions.

Also the fact that there was no Kickstarter update explaining all of this and giving the backers the news about the new character is kind of shitty.

But in that situation you signed into Steam on the PS3 and Valve had the infrastructure set up to handle it all already. I was thinking Iga would rather leverage existing infrastructure rather then to build and maintain his own.

There are several games on PS4 with cross platform play and Bloodstained are using UE4. I am sure they could do it to all the systems. Just seems like they should be getting a little grief for screwing all the other platforms out of Cross Play. Maybe this is what having a publisher causes. Even though MN9 went to the well several times every platform is equal when it comes to content maybe it's because Deep Silver came in too late to sign some contracts.

Edit:

Hmm maybe I am wrong I got the following reply after asking if pc crossplay was exclusive.

Unfortunately we&#8217;re currently in the early stages of development, so we do not have any information regarding PC crossplay for any of the other consoles. Sorry about that!
Steven Campos
Fangamer

Just seems like they should be getting a little grief for screwing all the other platforms out of Cross Play. Maybe this is what having a publisher causes.

One platform-holder taking steps to enable a pure value-add feature like crossplay isn't "taking it away" from anyone else and it's not some iceberg-tip of the corruption that comes with the fallen state of being published. The intensity of your reaction to this is outlandish and absurd.

Wereroku

One platform-holder taking steps to enable a pure value-add feature like crossplay isn't "taking it away" from anyone else and it's not some iceberg-tip of the corruption that comes with the fallen state of being published. The intensity of your reaction to this is outlandish and absurd.
So it's ok with you for kickstarter games to get platform exclusive content? Shouldn't these projects be reading all backers equally? We all put money in and expected content parity.

So it's ok with you for kickstarter games to get platform exclusive content? Shouldn't these projects be reading all backers equally? We all put money in and expected content parity.
You were never promised cross play nor were you asked to pay for it. Backers are free to pick which version they want to boot.

You are literally complaining because one version gets one extra feature that it's platform allows and is paying foe. Should Wii U owners bitch because they don't have share buttons? Should PC owners bitch about remote play? Should PS4 owners bitch about Wii U pad features?

Wereroku

You were never promised cross play nor were you asked to pay for it. Backers are free to pick which version they want to boot.
No but we also weren't told one copy of the game would be worth more than another. What if someone only has a ps4, wiiu, etc. Should the money they contributed be devalued? Also they never mentioned in the pitch that they would be securing deals with first parties.

Also cross play is not the same as a share button or wiiu tablet. It is literally platform agnostic. They could develop it for the other consoles as well.

No but we also weren't told one copy of the game would be worth more than another. What if someone only has a ps4, wiiu, etc. Should the money they contributed be devalued? Also they never mentioned in the pitch that they would be securing deals with first parties.
How the fuck does one version getting MORE stuff REMOVE value from another

Wereroku

How the fuck does one version getting MORE stuff makes your version worth LESS
I don't know check the witcher 3 ce on eBay and let me know. Additional features for a platform reduces the value of the others. Why do you think companies do that. Do you think fifa legends being exclusive hasn't helped the XBO?. Cross play is a valuable feature that many people enjoy and would let me play with my friend who only has a ps4. I would like to do that.

That's... not how value works. It increases the value of one version, it doesn't change the value of others unless you're removing something from another

If I give you one dollar and someone else two dollars you still have one dollar. The baseline is the version without cross play not the other way around.

Wereroku

That's... not how value works. It increases the value of one version, it doesn't change the value of others unless you're removing something from another

If I give you one dollar and someone else two dollars you still have one dollar. The baseline is the version without cross play not the other way around.
One version getting more effects the money you put into another. In this case we both gave them 2 dollars but yours comes with a free drink. Are those 2 values still the same?

That's how I saw it. There will be a windows store xbox live enabled version and a steam version likely.

Maridia

One version getting more effects the money you put into another. In this case we both gave them 2 dollars but yours comes with a free drink. Are those 2 values still the same?

As long as you still got the thing you paid two dollars for, you have not been ripped off.

Course it isn't, but your meal doesn't suddenly cost 1.75 because someone got a free drink. What you got wasn't devalued, you asked for X and got X, the other plate just turned into X+1. The value of X doesn't fucking change.

This is called "entitlement"

Wereroku

As long as you still got the thing you paid two dollars for, you have not been ripped off.

But we have been shortchanged. I thought kickstarter was about getting the games people wanted and being open and upfront about what you are buying. In this case one platform has more options than another for no technical reason. Sure the other platforms didn't lose anything but I didn't back Bloodstained to keep encouraging people to make deals with platform holders. I mean hell if you want to go that route XBO owners aren't being ripped off by paying the same money for Arkham Knight and not getting the scarecrow missions but it's still a shitty thing to do.

Course it isn't, but your meal doesn't suddenly cost 1.75 because someone got a free drink. What you got wasn't devalued, you asked for X and got X, the other plate just turned into X+1. The value of X doesn't fucking change.

This is called "entitlement"

No literally if someone got a drink for their 2 dollars my money would be worth less. It's not entitlement to want a game I put money into to have content parity. With other publishers at least I get a warning if my stuff is less valuable before I put money into it.

How is money not a technical reason lmao

The kickstarter pitch asked for X money to make X game, not to make X+1.

Yeah and I kind of like it if they would have let me know they were going to be doing platform exclusive deals. I don't see that anywhere in the pitch videos. Also money isn't a technical reason it would be a financial reason. Technically they could have crossplay across every platform but not financially or realistically due to platform holder restrictions.

Top Bottom