• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

But we have been shortchanged. I thought kickstarter was about getting the games people wanted and being open and upfront about what you are buying. In this case one platform has more options than another for no technical reason. Sure the other platforms didn't lose anything but I didn't back Bloodstained to keep encouraging people to make deals with platform holders. I mean hell if you want to go that route XBO owners aren't being ripped off by paying the same money for Arkham Knight and not getting the scarecrow missions but it's still a shitty thing to do.
How is money not a technical reason lmao

The kickstarter pitch asked for X money to make X game, not to make X+1. How does it fucking affect you if a third party wants to make their game better? Would you rather Iga just went back to Kickstarter to fund this feature for all versions?

Budgets how do they work?

klee123

The most I expect for PS users is cross play between Vita and PS4.

Which for me is not bad because quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if PS4 ends up accounting for the majority of the playerbase.

But we have been shortchanged. I thought kickstarter was about getting the games people wanted and being open and upfront about what you are buying. In this case one platform has more options than another for no technical reason. Sure the other platforms didn't lose anything but I didn't back Bloodstained to keep encouraging people to make deals with platform holders. I mean hell if you want to go that route XBO owners aren't being ripped off by paying the same money for Arkham Knight and not getting the scarecrow missions but it's still a shitty thing to do.

No literally if someone got a drink for their 2 dollars my money would be worth less. It's not entitlement to want a game I put money into to have content parity. With other publishers at least I get a warning if my stuff is less valuable before I put money into it.

Yeah and I kind of like it if they would have let me know they were going to be doing platform exclusive deals. I don't see that anywhere in the pitch videos.

You are the only one who feels this way and you are acting very unreasonably. I think you should sit back for a minute and realize how emotional you're being over something that is not a problem at all.

I'm confused. Was there anything that stated that crossplay was not coming at all to Playstation platforms EVER? I don't see what's to be upset about here, is there any reason to believe that Sony can't just offer to help them and chuck some money at them?

Wereroku

You are the only one who feels this way and you are acting very unreasonably. I think you should sit back for a minute and realize how emotional you're being over something that is not a problem at all.

How is it not a problem? This is a new thing compared to every kickstarter I have ever backed. I don't like Kickstarters making platform exclusive deals.

I'm confused. Was there anything that stated that crossplay was not coming at all to Playstation platforms EVER? I don't see what's to be upset about here, is there any reason to believe that Sony can't just offer to help them and chuck some money at them?

Ben Judd is saying it's happening through the help of Microsoft. I doubt any other platform will get crossplay with pc.

Ben Judd is saying it's happening through the help of Microsoft. I doubt any other platform will get crossplay with pc.
They can't just do the same thing MS did and throw help at them to have it added? Where was this stated? You seem so sure, so I'd like to read where they said it!

Zambayoshi

How is it not a problem? This is a new thing compared to every kickstarter I have ever backed. I don't like Kickstarters making platform exclusive deals.

I guess some might say that it is part of the risk of backing something on Kickstarter that the goalposts will change before the product is released. I'd much rather it be extra content for Xbox One than some sort of timed exclusivity though. That would be a real stinky thing to do.

Wereroku

They can't just do the same thing MS did and throw help at them to have it added? Where was this stated? You seem so sure, so I'd like to read where they said it!

Someone was already asking about it and Ben's answer is that it's exclusive. I don't know I asked them by PM and fangamer said they were too early in development to say it was exclusive. So who knows. Maybe I will just go to sleep I just hate that kickstarters are doing this now.

Like not all backers are getting the Kickstarter exclusive content, but only those who gave at least $60?

If the actual game's content is already not equally distributed among backers, why should additional content funded by someone else be?

You knew about that one beforehand. You based your decision off of already knowing the facts. This is a brand new decision made after they took our money.

Gbraga

So it's ok with you for kickstarter games to get platform exclusive content? Shouldn't these projects be reading all backers equally? We all put money in and expected content parity.

Like not all backers are getting the Kickstarter exclusive content, but only those who gave at least $60?

If the actual game's content is already not equally distributed among backers, why should additional content funded by someone else be?

You knew about that one beforehand. You based your decision off of already knowing the facts. This is a brand new decision made after they took our money.

It's not being made with our money, though (or at least I assume it's not, doesn't make sense to throw Microsoft a bone in exchange for nothing).

We don't own the IP, you seem to misunderstand what Kickstarter actually is. It was even stated from the go that there was a publisher behind it as well, this is not an independent game, if Deep Silver (was it confirmed it's their game?) wants to do some shady pre-order bonus bullshit, they will. And the fact that you didn't pay for this won't mean anything. It is what it is.

As long as you get everything you were promised, then there's nothing wrong with any additional deals they make in the future. Now, if they come and say "2nd playable character only on PS4", now THAT'S something worth being outraged about.

Someone was already asking about it and Ben's answer is that it's exclusive. I don't know I asked them by PM and fangamer said they were too early in development to say it was exclusive. So who knows. Maybe I will just go to sleep I just hate that kickstarters are doing this now.
Alright, so we have no concrete proof.

*yawn*

Wake me up when there's something solid going on.

I would have backed happily knowing the game was getting crossplay for Xbox. I don't give a flying fart.

So it's ok with you for kickstarter games to get platform exclusive content?

Yup. It'd probably help your blood pressure to not back any Kickstarters in the future if you're going to invent your own requirements and get pissed off at creators for imaginary sins.

Uh, it's not like they're spending (much) time and money to develop a feature exclusively for the Xbone version. What you don't seem to get is that Xbox Live is integrated in Windows 10, that's why they have easy crossplay. PSN integration is not available on PC, and so PC-PS crossplay would require a lot more development time.

Dremark

Banned
Cool thanks. Probably won't in the future.

I don't really see it being a big issue, I'm under the impression it's either a feature offered by the Xbox Live Integration in Windows 10 or heavily facilitated by it.

Anyway you're entitled to your opinion on it, if you're really unhappy with the decision you can probably ask for your money back and get it. I was able to do so with the Shadowrun Kickstarter when they had a questionable release for the DRM free version of the game.

SerTapTap

I backe abou 65$.
Am i supposed to have recieved some notification about which version i want by now?

You'll probably get that like a month or two off release, not any time soon.

It appears to be asynchronous and Vs. Challenges (competition time trials?) only based on the goals chart. We don't really know anything else yet.

Is that all it is? When I heard cross play my mind went to co op. Don't really care about missing out if that's what it is

TSM

Given how long it took to claw Windows XP from the hands of certain people, are you really surprised?

It will be different this time. With the free upgrade a new baseline is being established. Combine this with the rapid adoption of DX12 and there will be enough movement that support for Win 7/8 will dry up quickly as the year to upgrade moves along.

Well we had the excuse of Vista being absolutely garbagio

Only earlier on. It was pretty disastrous out of the gate, for sure, but they eventually sorted out pretty much all the issues. By then the damage was done though and the public perceptions became irreparable. Same with Win8 despite 8.1 fixing most complaints (even though 8 actually was good but whatever).

Kipper

I don't remember them telling me I was going to get PS4/PC cross-play when I gave them my money so I am OK with it if that doesn't come about.

This is going to be a long wait, isn't it? I almost don't want them at Pax Prime because that way my mind thinks they'd be getting things done faster.

Awesome, I was just hoping earlier in the day for more news, I'm glad the pledge upgrade option is a ways away, that means I have more time to build extra money besides what I've already set aside for MGSV.

I wasn't able to afford the pledge level I wanted to give before, but by the 15th I should have enough.

Edit:

Zangetsu (斬月) is a cool name. I decided to look up the meaning of the first kanji, "zan" (斬) and found it's meaning to be something like "beheading, kill, or murder". Kind of silly how blunt it is, but I guess we can expect this guy to be a badass, huh?

The second kanji, "getsu" (月) means moon, or month, and is also used to distinguish the "Mon" part of "Monday" essentially.

So his name is Murder Month? Killing Moon? Beheading Mon(day)? I think we can agree it sounds cooler in Japanese :D.

Moofers

Any ideas on what to have Iga sign at the PAX panel? I'd like to bring something but I don't have a copy of SOTN. Will there be a poster or something there that he'll sign?

I don't do autograph events really. The only one I've ever done was for The Last of Us and they had alternate box art that Bruce and Neil were signing. Think Iga might bring something like that?

Dascu

Any ideas on what to have Iga sign at the PAX panel? I'd like to bring something but I don't have a copy of SOTN. Will there be a poster or something there that he'll sign?

I don't do autograph events really. The only one I've ever done was for The Last of Us and they had alternate box art that Bruce and Neil were signing. Think Iga might bring something like that?

If you are evil, bring Lords of Shadow to sign. If not, how about the box of a DS Metroidvania? Got one of these?

There is only one answer:

61868_front.jpg

Haruka

Awesome, I was just hoping earlier in the day for more news, I'm glad the pledge upgrade option is a ways away, that means I have more time to build extra money besides what I've already set aside for MGSV.

I wasn't able to afford the pledge level I wanted to give before, but by the 15th I should have enough.

Edit:

Zangetsu (斬月) is a cool name. I decided to look up the meaning of the first kanji, "zan" (斬) and found it's meaning to be something like "beheading, kill, or murder". Kind of silly how blunt it is, but I guess we can expect this guy to be a badass, huh?

The second kanji, "getsu" (月) means moon, or month, and is also used to distinguish the "Mon" part of "Monday" essentially.

So his name is Murder Month? Killing Moon? Beheading Mon(day)? I think we can agree it sounds cooler in Japanese :D.

I wrote this for the wiki:

Zangetsu contains the kanji for "beheading" (斬) and "moon" (月). The writing of the name is a variation of "残月", also pronounced Zangetsu, which literally means "remaining moon" and is used to refer to the moon visible in the morning in Japanese. The "zan" from "残" is a a Japanese approximation of the Chinese pronunciation of "cán" as it is pronounced in the Wu region of China (Go'on). The "zan" from "斬" is a misreading of "san", the Japanese approximation of the Chinese pronunciation of "Zhǎn" during the Tang Dynasty (Kan'on).

So, "Zangetsu" means "morning moon", but his name is written with the kanji for beheading in order to make it look edgy, I guess.

Top Bottom