• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Looks great!

I do miss 2D sprites, but I'm here day one. I can't remember if I backed this already or not. I'll have to double check. I meant to if I didn't. The music sounds great as well. I'm really excited for this one.

I'm in for PS4 and Vita.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Whoever drew that is very very talented, but that design is terrible. That looks like what Miriam would be if she was in Castlevania Judgement, and we all know how butchered those designs were.
The costume sucks, but it's not any worse than the original art, and the proportions and posture (and I dare say the face) are much better.

Honestly Miriam looks more like a Castlevania Judgment character than an SotN character, by far.

The costume sucks, but it's not any worse than the original art, and the proportions and posture (and I dare say the face) are much better.

Honestly Miriam looks more like a Castlevania Judgment character than an SotN character, by far.

Disagree. She doesn't look much different from SoTN Maria.

latest

I'll still gladly play this, but pseudo 2D/3D (2.5?) graphic is the bane of current and last-few gen sidescrollers. It should always be pure 2D sprites.

Crocodile

As I said in the other thread, I'm surprised they were actually able to get a playable demo out in time for E3. They said they would try to do it for this E3 last E3 but I didn't expect them to actually still be able to hit that mark. Nice. As always there are places for improvement but given where we are in development I think we are at a good benchmark. Being able to see the game in better detail (either via a livestream or our own computers) should make it even more clear where they have succeeded and where spots that could use a bit of polish exist.

I dunno, I feel this is somewhat hyperbolic (at least especially when put in context of most characters in the mainline series following and including SOTN)? Don't make me post characters designs from Judgement to remind everybody just how off the wall they were :p

I am curious to see new art for the game as well as some new characters though. The cast is still so small and we almost certainly know there is more to be revealed :(

Sevyne

Eh? I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Astral Dog

As I said in the other thread, I'm surprised they were actually able to get a playable demo out in time for E3. They said they would try to do it for this E3 last E3 but I didn't expect them to actually still be able to hit that mark. Nice. As always there are places for improvement but given where we are in development I think we are at a good benchmark. Being able to see the game in better detail (either via a livestream or our own computers) should make it even more clear where they have succeeded and where spots that could use a bit of polish exist.

I dunno, I feel this is somewhat hyperbolic (at least especially when put in context of most characters in the mainline series following and including SOTN)? Don't make me post characters designs from Judgement to remind everybody just how off the wall they were :p

I am curious to see new art for the game as well as some new characters though. The cast is still so small and we almost certainly know there is more to be revealed :(

Miriam is part of another series with a different artist so ishe should not be judged/compared too much to Castlevania characters imo.

Love it!

Love it love it love it love it.

Now to find a Windows PC where I can play the demo, dammit. There's no way my PC will be able to run this demo and I take it it won't be compatible with a Mac, right? There's a reason why I chose PS4 for the final game.

It still blows my mind how pretty and faithful this game looks while having significantly less funding than Mighty No 9...

*sigh*

I'm not sure it did have less overall funding?

Either way, IGA's probably much better at managing small budgets than most well-known developers. And honestly, more passionate.

It did, however, it does not have a major publisher funding a lot more, afaik.

Pretty sure Bloodstained received an additional $4.5m from Deep Silver.

I'm not sure it did have less overall funding?

Either way, IGA's probably much better at managing small budgets than most well-known developers. And honestly, more passionate.

Yeah for real, the passion shows. Everything seen so far looks so clean and polished, and they're actively engaging the backers for opinions on style choices.

It seems like this is progressing at the exact opposite of MN9, lol.

Pretty sure Bloodstained received an addition $4.5m from Deep Silver.

Did it? I thought Deep Silver was MN9? If so, that would push it to 10m.

Ravidrath

Not only did Bloodstained raise more money than MN09 from KS, it also had around $4.5M in funding promised from other sources.

So while I'm not sure if the entire game's budget is actually in the $10M range, it's still significantly higher than MN09's.

This is looking so much better, though, it's hard to imagine it's by the same team.

It did, however, it does not have a major publisher funding a lot more, afaik.

Bloodstained got 5.5m, MN9 got 4+m and additional from Deep Silver
Bloodstained got almost $2 million more in Kickstarter alone. Add to that the fact that Iga's game also has backing from a publisher and it's a safe bet to think it has a bigger budget than MN9.

So awesome. Seriously, there is a night and day difference between this and Mighty No. 9, which is strange considering it's the same team. This looks amazing.

I'm still debating increasing my pledge from $150 to $300, for the signed box.

Different creative directors with different goals in mind methinks. Iga clearly wants stuff closer to the concept art, while still making the most out of his poly/texture budget.

This looks fantastic to me. Interested to see it myself.

bumpkin

The latest update looks rad and I'm super psyched that some backers are getting a demo around E3. I just hope it doesn't play like absolute garbage under my Windows 7 VM. The MN9 "special demo" was almost unplayable.

chrono01

Different creative directors with different goals in mind methinks. Iga clearly wants stuff closer to the concept art, while still making the most out of his poly/texture budget.

This looks fantastic to me. Interested to see it myself.
Yeah, I guess that has a lot to do with it. I love how involved they are with the community, it makes every backer feel like an actual part of the team, where as Mighty No. 9 felt like It was developed behind locked doors with only the occasional video released with a "take or don't!" type of attitude.

I already feel vindicated in my Bloodstained backing, not to with Mighty No. 9. I've yet to play it, but I'm really not liking the way it apparently turned out.

Davey Cakes

Watched the video again. I'm starting to agree with those who say the idle-to-running animation seems a bit off.

Looking good otherwise. I've always enjoyed the sense of movement that characters have in Castlevania games, for some reason.

Will Ajami Kojima finally do something in some form or another for this game?

I thought she was just doing the cover and maybe a little concept art here and there; I didn't think she was super involved (same with Amano). That was my takeaway when they listed them in the campaign as "Guest Artists" at least.

I think it looks a little rough, but it's headed in the right direction. Certain things that I'm not a fan of as of now I'm sure will be improved over time, such as the kind of stiff still-to-running, or the going through the floor to go down a platform. Although you could always obviously do that in previous games (and any other 2D platformer for that matter), with a 3D character it looks a bit more bizarre. What they could do is an actual animation of Miriam sorta "hopping" down instead of going through the environment...
Something like this lol, but going downwards rather than over an obstacle obviously. It would give it a bit more style don't you think?

Sevyne

Something like this lol, but going downwards rather than over an obstacle obviously. It would give it a bit more style don't you think?

I'd rather they left it alone, and just emulated the traversal of Iga's previous games (which they seem to be doing).

I'm having a really hard time understanding why there's a few of you that want stuff like that changed. Like the comments about the floaty jump too for example. The jumps were just like that in all of his other games too and it was perfectly fine. I think a majority of people backed the game to get an Igavania game, not something else so why do people suddenly want to take away some of the things that made us want this in the first place?

Top Bottom