• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Looks a bit better in motion than last time I saw it. Not sure how I feel about the "kicks" at the moment. I know there are lots of weapons in the game, so hopefully kicking isn't something we'll see a lot of.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Looks kinda slow and empty to me for a not-Castlevania game to be honest. Hopefully that's just because it's an E3 demo.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
My only critique is that her legs look a bit off, like a marionette or something. Not sure if it's a modeling or animation issue.

Venfayth

The animation looks very similar to SotN in pace, I think. I'm pretty sure it's just that she doesn't have the regal elegance of Alucard's classical 2d animation so it seems slower.

That last gameplay vid has me super hyped up. The movement looks great, the way she short jumps and does that kick attack right before hitting the floor, the little dashes to get under walls, and the menu. I'm sure everything will get tightened up a bit more, but I keep getting more excited for this game.

bounchfx

yeah, the animation of the run looks like it was directly inspired by sotn. No complaints here. Looks great so far, excited to play. Actually hyped about this as opposed to mn9 which I don't know what to feel anymore

Decado

They showing a prototype or something? Everything looks early. Like placeholders. Combat looks simple, easy, amateurish...and not at all what I'd expected from a game called BLOODSTAINED.

Foffy

Banned
They showing a prototype or something? Everything looks early. Like placeholders. Combat looks simple, easy, amateurish...and not at all what I'd expected from a game called BLOODSTAINED.

To my knowledge, much of this was made in just two or so months.

As for combat...have you played IGA's previous games? You might be expecting more than what's genuinely been put on the table.

This is also the start of the game, not even in the castle.

Visually it looks better than I would have expected (and already better than MN9, thankfully) but the movement looks a little weird, like not as smooth or precise as you would expect coming from SOTN or the GBA CV games. Obviously though that's a tough thing to really tell from a video.

Zophar

Visually it looks better than I would have expected (and already better than MN9, thankfully) but the movement looks a little weird, like not as smooth or precise as you would expect coming from SOTN or the GBA CV games. Obviously though that's a tough thing to really tell from a video.

To me it looks like an homage to SOTN, actually. Alucard does that odd slide into his backwards walking animation too.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Pb8EIWY.png

O...kay? xD

Iga looks to be facepalming hahaha

That's a bit concerning.
No it's not. The game has barely been in development for a full year and we have at least another year to go. Also they've since announced that they're only delivering the full game at first with the rest of promised modes and whatnot coming later as free DLC (not unlike Shovel Knight). Local coop might be one of those features. And even if it's coming with the main game cut them some slack. This is the first demo of the first level. We'll hear about coop and everything else at later dates.

Venfayth

That's a bit concerning.

I wouldn't worry, it's super far off still and the list of features that got tagged on as the kickstarter expanded is quite numerous, and none of them have been mentioned to my knowledge.

Nightmare, voice acting, cheat codes, speed run mode, boss rush mode, retro level, classic mode, etc

Based off the demo footage and the progress updates, I'd say they really crammed and worked their asses off to get this demo out to E3. This isn't even the alpha. I think it's just a super early vertical slice.

Foffy

Banned
I wouldn't worry, it's super far off still and the list of features that got tagged on as the kickstarter expanded is quite numerous, and none of them have been mentioned to my knowledge.

Nightmare, voice acting, cheat codes, speed run mode, boss rush mode, retro level, classic mode, etc

Based off the demo footage and the progress updates, I'd say they really crammed and worked their asses off to get this demo out to E3. This isn't even the alpha. I think it's just a super early vertical slice.

If it was not part of the promise in the 'core' experience, it may not be there at launch.

The game will be released in a 'staggered' model, like Shovel Knight. What's there at launch may just be the base game, so co-op may be happening at a later time.

Venfayth

If it was not part of the promise in the 'core' experience, it may not be there at launch.

The game will be released in a 'staggered' model, like Shovel Knight. What's there at launch may just be the base game, so co-op may be happening at a later time.

Has it been said what the 'core' experience will contain?

Foffy

Banned
Has it been said what the 'core' experience will contain?

Not yet. I would assume at minimum what usually comes with IGA games.

Looking at his track record, I would expect the following.

- Main game
- Boss Rush
- Second and Third playable characters
- Online Challenge Mode

This is stuff he's delivered in previous Castlevania games, so I imagine if anything would be added to the 'core' release, it would be these elements.

Durante

No it's not. The game has barely been in development for a full year and we have at least another year to go. Also they've since announced that they're only delivering the full game at first with the rest of promised modes and whatnot coming later as free DLC (not unlike Shovel Knight). Local coop might be one of those features. And even if it's coming with the main game cut them some slack. This is the first demo of the first level. We'll hear about coop and everything else at later dates.
You can't decide what's concerning me and what isn't :p

Local coop was one of the very first stretch-goal features, and yet we have, to my knowledge, not heard anything about its details since. I'm obviously not expecting it to be done or even playable right now, but I'd very much hope that they have already planned for it in their development and systems/software design (because jury-rigging it later on would be either expensive and time consuming or half-baked). And if so, they could provide a morsel of information on how it will work.

True, but that's the one feature I really care about ;)

LogicStep

I think I filled out the survey a long time ago about which version I wanted it and picked PS4 but now I want to get it on Steam. Anyone know if I can change which version I will get?

ArjanN

You can't decide what's concerning me and what isn't :p

Local coop was one of the very first stretch-goal features, and yet we have, to my knowledge, not heard anything about its details since. I'm obviously not expecting it to be done or even playable right now, but I'd very much hope that they have already planned for it in their development and systems/software design (because jury-rigging it later on would be either expensive and time consuming or half-baked). And if so, they could provide a morsel of information on how it will work.

True, but that's the one feature I really care about ;)

Not to be a debbie downer, but I assume that would be one of the last things they focus on, and honestly I'm not super convinced it'll work all that great either, in similar games that have co-op like Guacamelee etc, you often end up with a lot of fighting for screen/camera control issues, but we'll see.

Anyone know if there's backdash-canceling? That was a staple of the DS games, but I haven't seen anyone cancel an attack with a backdash in any of the gameplay videos, however if the player(s) are unfamiliar with CV it might just be because they haven't tried it yet.

bumpkin

Pb8EIWY.png

O...kay? xD

Iga looks to be facepalming hahaha
Making his "How am I going to eat all of that?" face. I saw a similar look on the faces of a few guys from Poland who were working in my old employer's US offices for a month. We took them to this restaurant called Mr Mac's for lunch one day which only serves all sorts of different mac & cheese recipes.

The funny thing is the one with the most shocked face finished the whole dish when the rest of us only ate half of ours (to save for another meal).

EVH

Man, I was hoping that with the change to 3D, the levels would feel more alive like in other 2.5D games like Donkey Kong Returns.

But in this video they feel so static. The amount of ropes in the background don't swing with the boat movements, or even the nets where the character stands are frozen. That is sad.

Durante

Not to be a debbie downer, but I assume that would be one of the last things they focus on, and honestly I'm not super convinced it'll work all that great either, in similar games that have co-op like Guacamelee etc, you often end up with a lot of fighting for screen/camera control issues, but we'll see.
The reason I'm asking right now is because I'm playing Salt and Sanctuary with a friend in coop and it's amazing. So I was thinking about anything else in the same vein coming up and remembered Bloodstained featuring it.

Ultimadrago

I played through Guacamelee in co-op 100%. Twice. I hardly had any camera/screen issues (and I'm even using "hardly" to cover human err). That said, it was mostly 2-3 player, perhaps it's different with all 4?

Top Bottom