• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

koji says 'i don't want to make a game with gimmicky controls...'

Jake.

apparently in the new issue of nintendo power their is a big interview with koji igarashi from castlevania. a small excerpt of what he says regarding the wii...

Interview with Castlevania producer Koji Igarashi: "For me, the Nintendo Wii controller doesn't yet connect with the core gameplay of Castlevania. I definitely don't want to make a game with gimmicky controls where you swing the controller like a whip...

:(

Asked and answered, your honor.

Umpteen publications asked Iga the same question at TGS and his answer is that he doesn't want to make a Castlevania game where you swing the whip with the remote every time you want to whip something. However he realizes that he'll likely end up making a Wii CV game and so he wants to figure out how to best blend motion controls with Castlevania.

Pimpbaa

Iga said:
I definitely don't want to make a game with gimmicky controls where you swing the controller like a whip...

And we don't want you to try and make any more 3D castlevania games. Konami needs to keep him on the 2D castlevania and get some other new team to give 3D castlevania a try.

He could make a nice looking 2D CV using the Classic Controller and people would be all over that but Nintendo wouldn't like it. Hopefully some companies will be attracted to Wii games generally needing a much smaller budget.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
what qualifies as a "gimmick" is so nebulous that a developer throwing that term around is pretty silly.

that said, making a castlevania game in which you swing the controller like a whip really is a juvenile idea--but the zelda sword controls work incredibly with minimum, almost "twitch" movements, so i don't see why that couldn't work in a castlevania game.

Branduil

Yeah, using it as a whip would be too gimmicky. What a Wii Castlevania really needs is areas where there are blocks of ice that you have to hit with the Wiimote.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
this is the same dude that made gimmicky crap in DoS like breaking Ice with the Stylus and drawing some symbols to seal bosses which in the end dont add anything to gameplay. if anyone can come up with gimmicky stuff that isnt worth crap is IGA :p

Jake XXX said:
apparently in the new issue of nintendo power their is a big interview with koji igarashi from castlevania. a small excerpt of what he says regarding the wii...

Interview with Castlevania producer Koji Igarashi: "For me, the Nintendo Wii controller doesn't yet connect with the core gameplay of Castlevania. I definitely don't want to make a game with gimmicky controls where you swing the controller like a whip...

:(

He only means that Castlevania whip controls are gimmicky, not that all Wii games are gimmicky.

But I'm sure you know that already.

If they can translate Zelda onto wii extremely successfully, I'm sure any developer can. I mean, with the nunchuck attached nothing is THAT different from regular controllers.

Avalon

Error2k4 said:
this is the same dude that made gimmicky crap in DoS like breaking Ice with the Stylus and drawing some symbols to seal bosses which in the end dont add anything to gameplay. if anyone can come up with gimmicky stuff that isnt worth crap is IGA :p

Perhaps he feels remorse? He felt so badly about adding crap that completely broke the immersion of the game and now he is being more cautious about it. :)

gururoji

Avalon said:
Perhaps he feels remorse? He felt so badly about adding crap that completely broke the immersion of the game and now he is being more cautious about it. :)

Agreed, but if you didn't have to, say, pick up a stylus in the middle of a game that's all d-pad and buttons, even those same mechanics could be pretty cool--you could still run around with the nunchuk if the wiimote had pointer-type duties.

For some reason using the wiimote as a pointer type thing in a 2d game is way more appealing to me than in a 3d game....

Zeed

Banned
Branduil said:
Yeah, using it as a whip would be too gimmicky. What a Wii Castlevania really needs is areas where there are blocks of ice that you have to hit with the Wiimote.
Ohsnap.gif

Kobun Heat said:
However he realizes that he'll likely end up making a Wii CV game and so he wants to figure out how to best blend motion controls with Castlevania.

I hope you know something that we don't Kobun.

MegaTen

Banned
Error2k4 said:
Yes, he's the same dude that's been ruining the Castlevania series.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
vantastic said:
i thought this thread was gonna be about koji...ma :lol

Same here to be quite honest.

Anyways, good for him. He already said the stuff in the DS games were "gimmicky" a long time ago. Hopefully he comes up with something unique.

I would play it if it had the dumb seals in it again. Lawl.

xaosslug

Kobun Heat said:
Asked and answered, your honor.

Umpteen publications asked Iga the same question at TGS and his answer is that he doesn't want to make a Castlevania game where you swing the whip with the remote every time you want to whip something. However he realizes that he'll likely end up making a Wii CV game and so he wants to figure out how to best blend motion controls with Castlevania.

i figured as much. This post will likely go overlooked as the thread grows into 4-5 pages of Koji Igarashi/Castlevania hate though. :lol

Cheerilee

He needs to think less about how he can make Castlevania better with the wiimote, and more about how he can make Tokimeki Memorial better with the wiimote.

I don't know if he's involved, but the only Castlevania-related stuff I'm really asking for the Wii (as well as eveyone else) is just a port of TG-16 SCD Dracula X: Rondo of Blood for the VC (not the SNES version!).

Dragmire

I could see a whipmote-style game that works well, but the way I envision it, you'd have a lot of different types of moves. And Castlevania has never had a deep combat system (more platformer-based fighting), so I don't think fans would want that.

I envision a system where maybe a sideways swipe could grab an enemy with the whip and you could pull 'em close to stab them with a knife (the nunchuk), or swing them into a wall. Stuff like that. Seems like it could be fun, but it doesn't fit well with the Castlevania style.

Roi

castlevania-portrait-of-ruin-20060511103946997.jpg

Why does he hate us ?

kammy

Banned
About time someone spoke out.

Nintendo need to wind their necks in and release a proper next gen system.

asshats.

PolyGone

Banned
kammy said:
About time someone spoke out.

Nintendo need to wind their necks in and release a proper next gen system.

asshats.

or he could just release a nice new 2d consolevania for us fans of his ds/gba works, no need to make use of anything but the d-pad and jump and whip buttons.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
every time a developer speaks against the wii everyone goes apeshit. Cool down people. I agree with mister IGA, whipping is a very strong motion and doing it several hundred times in a row would make it a chore and pretty ****ing shit.

As Darth Vader once said; Cool the **** down, obi. Now grab them kool aids...

Top Bottom