• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima is in talks with Xbox to publish his next game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Lets get a little context here. Sunset overdrive, one of the best playing games of last gen came out on a console where good games didn't matter to the the online forum. People pointed fingers at it and said "lol 900p at 30 fps, what a piece of shit" they pitched the game to Sony first but Sony wanted to own it. They went with ms because ms were tge only company that would allow them to keep the IP. Something that will hopefully allow is to see a sequel at some point.

the whole narrative around sunset overdrive was its resolution, not how good it was and it couldn't shake it, 900p. I was online at the time and a huge insomniac fan. Fanboys were insufferable around that shit.

One of insomniacs best games and I can't wait for a sequel ( if it gets greenlit)
I disagree. SO is a good game, just like all Insomniac's games. It may not be as good as Spider-Man or Ratchet & Clank, but it is still a good game. But I don't think it tanked because of 900p.

Most of the games on Xbox were 900p: AC Unity, AC Syndicate, COD B-ops III, Batman AK. A few games like Battlefield 4, COD Ghosts, ARK, and Ace Combat were at 720p. And all those games did fine.

Did resolution play a part? It may have. Did the game tank entirely because of that? I don't think so.

Insomniac's fanbase was on PlayStation, and the game released on Xbox. I think that may have a bigger role to play than resolution. In addition, I think PS and Xbox gamers just respond differently to different types of games. Sunset Overdrive was more of a "PlayStation type of game".

Shmunter

I disagree. SO is a good game, just like all Insomniac's games. It may not be as good as Spider-Man or Ratchet & Clank, but it is still a good game. But I don't think it tanked because of 900p.

Most of the games on Xbox were 900p: AC Unity, AC Syndicate, COD B-ops III, Batman AK. A few games like Battlefield 4, COD Ghosts, ARK, and Ace Combat were at 720p. And all those games did fine.

Did resolution play a part? It may have. Did the game tank entirely because of that? I don't think so.

Insomniac's fanbase was on PlayStation, and the game released on Xbox. I think that may have a bigger role to play than resolution. In addition, I think PS and Xbox gamers just respond differently to different types of games. Sunset Overdrive was more of a "PlayStation type of game".
A new ip is very difficult. The Sony seal of quality is half the battle.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I actually feel like Sunset Oveerdrive was the perfect Dreamcast game and I always associate Dreamcast with Xbox over playstation. Just my opinion. The game felt like an xbox game. I do agree that it would have performed better on Playstation though but Sony refused to support the game on insomniacs terms, so luckily Xbox picked it up and I got to play it. Just a shame about the fanboy negativity around the game.

The resolution thing was absolutely a big deal just search sunset overdrive 900p and you will get a taste of how articles from the media etc and responses from fanboys shaped the narrative around the game and definitely contributed to its reception.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I actually feel like Sunset Oveerdrive was the perfect Dreamcast game and I always associate Dreamcast with Xbox over playstation. Just my opinion. The game felt like an xbox game. I do agree that it would have performed better on Playstation though but Sony refused to support the game on insomniacs terms, so luckily Xbox picked it up and I got to play it. Just a shame about the fanboy negativity around the game.

The resolution thing was absolutely a big deal just search sunset overdrive 900p and you will get a taste of how articles from the media etc and responses from fanboys shaped the narrative around the game and definitely contributed to its reception.
Yeah, it's always better than not having the game at all.

Also, as Shmunter said, the Sony seal of quality is a big deal. We may joke about many things on Internet forums regarding Sony and its games, but they do know how to make great games. And more importantly, they know how to identify great games and IPs 90% of the time. They must have seen that SO won't be performing as well, and perhaps that's why they didn't strike any deal with Insomniac.

Perhaps that's the reason why they may have rejected Kojima's latest game. Or perhaps it becomes the biggest game of the generation lol who knows. Let's hope KJP finally makes an announcement -- whatever it is -- this Summer.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah, it's always better than not having the game at all.

Also, as Shmunter said, the Sony seal of quality is a big deal. We may joke about many things on Internet forums regarding Sony and its games, but they do know how to make great games. And more importantly, they know how to identify great games and IPs 90% of the time. They must have seen that SO won't be performing as well, and perhaps that's why they didn't strike any deal with Insomniac.

Perhaps that's the reason why they may have rejected Kojima's latest game. Or perhaps it becomes the biggest game of the generation lol who knows. Let's hope KJP finally makes an announcement -- whatever it is -- this Summer.

I just really hope that they let insomniac have another crack at it, especially as Drew Murry is back at Insomniac and it seems that game was/is extremely important to him. Maybe new sony wont allow it but it would be nice.

MonarchJT

Banned

it's not about fanbase it's simply that spiderman is more attractive and rachet is a better game .. Spidererman would have sold proportionally the same way on xbox than on PS4 ... if not more so being an american centric console and spiderman is an american iconic character

Anyway I never really liked his games, I tried them but for me the story and characters are his strength and not the gameplay. I know that many gamers like his games and tastes are different but I think I would be more thrilled if he would stop making games and start making movies instead and he already said he has interest in doing movies.

Anyway I never really liked his games, I tried them but for me the story and characters are his strength and not the gameplay. I know that many gamers like his games and tastes are different but I think I would be more thrilled if he would stop making games and start making movies instead and he already said he has interest in doing movies.
Gameplay in all of them were always pretty....Solid. Especially considering where 3D gaming was at the time of the first 2 games releases. 5 is the best controlling 3rd Person Stealth game I can think of, but 5's story was dog shit awful and unfinished. Hell, I didn't like 4's story either, other than it's cool Shadow Moses throwback and awesome semi-gay bromance fight at the end with Ocelot. 1,2 and 3 all had solid Gameplay(doing things not really done in the Stealth genre at the time) and pretty solid storylines as well. 4 and up is where the storylines went too far off the rails to be interesting and it made the game feel like a chore.

I've tried Death Stranding 3 separate times but have given up about 2 or 3 hours into them. It's a beautiful game with great art direction and an awesome soundscape, but I just didn't give a single shit about the story and felt the gameplay to be SOOOO goddamn boring. Maybe 4th time is a charm and I'll finally see how the game is after a few hours..

Last edited:
I watched the cutscenes of Death Stranding and never felt the urge to actually play it.

I am also not sure if Microsoft is serious about wanting to be bigger in Japan, they say that every time but their actions don’t show that. This time again, when you look at the numbers how many units they shipped to Japan, Sony is understandably also put more focus on other markets but they still provided much more consoles to Japan compared to Microsoft. Well perhaps they thought it has no meaning yet to ship more consoles and will raise the number if a Kojima deal is being announced, but I feel that it will be too late (it’s not like Kojima new game is nearly finished) and perhaps they will give up again instead.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Gameplay in all of them were always pretty....Solid. Especially considering where 3D gaming was at the time of the first 2 games releases. 5 is the best controlling 3rd Person Stealth game I can think of, but 5's story was dog shit awful and unfinished. Hell, I didn't like 4's story either, other than it's cool Shadow Moses throwback and awesome semi-gay bromance fight at the end with Ocelot. 1,2 and 3 all had solid Gameplay(doing things not really done in the Stealth genre at the time) and pretty solid storylines as well. 4 and up is where the storylines went too far off the rails to be interesting and it made the game feel like a chore.

I've tried Death Stranding 3 separate times but have given up about 2 or 3 hours into them. It's a beautiful game with great art direction and an awesome soundscape, but I just didn't give a single shit about the story and felt the gameplay to be SOOOO goddamn boring. Maybe 4th time is a charm and I'll finally see how the game is after a few hours..
Not sure if you want to go back to Death Stranding, but the gameplay really opens up after Chapter 3 (when you get to the new map). The core gameplay remains the same, but you get more gears and equipment, and the option for building road also opens up -- which is addictively fun.

SLB1904

Banned
giphy.gif

shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom