• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima Announces OD | The Game Awards 2023

Perrott

Gold Member
Introducing the OD project as a parody of P.T. and the Silent Hills project is not the genius reference that Kojima thinks it is, but rather an insult to his fans that actually want Silent Hills and not this poor replacement of it.

If he really wants to get a second shot at making a horror game, alongside Hollywood actors, an acclaimed filmmaker and other creative powerhouses, then he should've swallowed his fucking pride and had signed the Silent Hills revival that both Konami and Sony were trying to get off the ground years ago as part of the initial greenlight round of externally-developed Silent Hill projects - and then made fucking Silent Hills with Guillermo Del Toro, Norman Reedus and Junji Ito.

This is as disrespectful to his audience as Nomura's constant teasing of Versus XIII within Kingdom Hearts, like, what the fuck are you even doing? Just stop, give Kingdom Hearts a fucking break and make your goddamn Final Fantasy game once and for all.

bender

What time is it?
Introducing the OD project as a parody of P.T. and the Silent Hills project is not the genius reference that Kojima thinks it is, but rather an insult to his fans that actually want Silent Hills and not this poor replacement of it.

If he really wants to get a second shot at making a horror game, alongside Hollywood actors, an acclaimed filmmaker and other creative powerhouses, then he should've swallowed his fucking pride and had signed the Silent Hills revival that both Konami and Sony were trying to get off the ground years ago as part of the initial greenlight round of externally-developed Silent Hill projects - and then made fucking Silent Hills with Guillermo Del Toro, Norman Reedus and Junji Ito.

This is as disrespectful to his audience as Nomura's constant teasing of Versus XIII within Kingdom Hearts, like, what the fuck are you even doing? Just stop, give Kingdom Hearts a fucking break and make your goddamn Final Fantasy game once and for all.

Maybe he knows, just as well as his fans and/or Silent Hill fans, that he and Silent Hill really aren't a stylistic match.

Perrott

Gold Member
Maybe he knows, just as well as his fans and/or Silent Hill fans, that he and Silent Hill really aren't a stylistic match.
Then don't reference the door from P.T. ever again. Just move on and create some new and iconic imagery for OD instead of throwing salt into the Silent Hills wound.

The monologues of the various characters in the OD trailer were cool and unsettling, that was great, that was 100% original of OD, but he lost me with all the P.T. throwbacks.

bender

What time is it?
Then don't reference the door from P.T. ever again. Just move on and create some new and iconic imagery for OD instead of throwing salt into the Silent Hills wound.

The monologues of the various characters in the OD trailer were cool and unsettling, that was great, that was 100% original of OD, but he lost me with all the P.T. throwbacks.

"Move on" might be good advice for you as well.

giphy.gif

Perrott

Gold Member
"Move on" might be good advice for you as well.

giphy.gif
Hey, I'm not the one who built a real life set out of P.T.'s starting room at The Game Awards for a game that has absolutely nothing to do with P.T. or Silent Hills.

If John Garvin were to arrive at Summer Games Fest riding a motorcycle and cosplaying as Deacon St. John for the reveal of his new IP Ashfall, I'd also ask what the fuck does he think he's doing considering that the game being shown is not Days Gone 2.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hey, I'm not the one who built a real life set out of P.T.'s starting room at The Game Awards for a game that has absolutely nothing to do with P.T. or Silent Hills.

I think you're taking this a little too serious than it needs to be lol. It was a dumb joke that only 10 people got. I doubt anyone sitting in the live arena went "OH HEY THAT'S THE DOOR FROM P.T"

bender

What time is it?
Hey, I'm not the one who built a real life set out of P.T. starting room at The Game Awards for a game that has absolutely nothing to do with P.T. or Silent Hills.

If John Garvin were to arrive at Summer Games Fest riding a motorcycle and cosplaying as Deacon St. John for the announcement of reveal of his new IP Ashfall, I'd also ask what the fuck does he think he's doing considering that the game being shown is not Days Gone 2.

Have you ever written a poem or a song? It starts with something small that gets stuck in your head, a chorus or a phrase. If the idea or concept is strong enough, you build and expand on it. If I had to venture a guess, that's what is happening here and it is all the better that this idea can be its' own free of the influence and expectations of another IP.

The more Kojima uses famous actors, the less respect I have for his works

Not sure who Jordan peele is, because I Ignore celebs

Mr Hyde

Kojima + Peele could be an interesting combo. If Kojima uses P.T as a template it could get even more interesting. Still salty that nothing came to fruition after that and Silent Hills being cancelled. Might as well use the tech for a new game. It was a cool intro Kojima made coming out of the door and Peeles entrance was sort of a mic drop moment, but it was pretty cringe how both of em tripped over themselves to praise one another. I guess rubbing elbows and sucking up is industry practice. But it does feel sometimes that Kojima far more enjoys hanging out with Hollywood celebrities than being in the studio creating groundbreaking games. I guess he earned that right though. Say what you want about his games, but there is no denying he is a visionary.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

slow-mo-closing-door.gif

Exentryk

Ironically though, this game is almost the antithesis to PT. Kojima has said in the past that making horror is hard because people will simply not play when they are too scared, unlike a movie that allows the audience to keep on watching. It's why "it's a game but it's also a movie", now where the cloud comes in is hard to gauge and part of me wonders if he intends to have people voting on what happens, or whatever, who knows?

But if you think this will be like PT then good luck to you.
Like the other poster said, I'm not expecting this to be like PT. Just that I loved PT, and am keen to see what Kojima comes up with again for the horror medium via OD.

Pimpbaa

Looking forward to this and Death Stranding 2. Although this trailer has me more confused than the first DS1 trailer.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Storytelling aside, his games contain more mechanical depth and attention to detail than most every other title out there. He and his teams understand how to create interesting playgrounds and sandboxes.
BS, Death Stranding was a slog to go through, and there was nothing interesting to do in that world.

Sojiro

As someone who has previously loved Kojima's work (mostly Metal Galear, Death Stranding was eh), this trailer is fucking dumb. At least with the initial death stranding trailer you had some cool WTF moments, this is just WTF were they thinking? It's still Kojima though, so it's always at least worth keeping an eye one.

Last edited:

RaduN

BS, Death Stranding was a slog to go through, and there was nothing interesting to do in that world.
Nah, it's just not for you. I played it 3 times and loved every second of it, easily the most addictive game this gen. The World VS Player micro-management dynamic is probably the best ever made. Hell, definitelly. I'm not even bringing up the setting originality and mind blowing creativity, or the absolutely exquisite online features.
I recommend Call Of Duty games, they may be more suited for you tastes. It's more action, less...well everything else (i like them personally, when i want that kind of straightforwardness).

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Nah, it's just not for you. I played it 3 times and loved every second of it, easily the most addictive game this gen. The World VS Player micro-management dynamic is probably the best ever made. Hell, definitelly. I'm not even bringing up the setting originality and mind blowing creativity, or the absolutely exquisite online features.
I recommend Call Of Duty games, they may be more suited for you tastes. It's more action, less...well everything else (i like them personally, when i want that kind of straightforwardness).
I haven’t played a Call of Duty game since World at War. Well played with that passive aggressive shot making it seem like I need to have a game dumbed down or I don’t like games with depth. Acting like you know MY tastes because I think Death Standing is trash. I hope your Kojima shrine is working well for you.

StueyDuck

so im kinda getting the feeling (with all the talk about this being a cross media project with Jordan Peele) that this is gonna be more of a "movie" or "TV show" style of game, something akin to a supermassive game like until dawn or along those lines.

GinSama

Some one may have pointed this out, but the door he came through is the PT door.

How can you not get excited about that!?
Gonna be honest at first I didn't notice the reflection on their eyes. .. damn when I noticed the door my moth open straight away

Really curious looking forward for the game,

nkarafo

Kojima always wanted to be a Hollywood movie director.

Now he wants to be that pretentious, indie movie director.

Terenty

Kojima always wanted to be a Hollywood movie director.
Nah, Kojima always said games and movies are totally different mediums with different goals. Movies passive, games interactive, that's why he always made a point of creating smth new gameplay wise.

Ppl saying Kojima should just start making movies never played his games, it's a fact.

Even if OD veers closer to movies I'm 100% sure the gameplay part will still be fun.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm expecting it to be some sort of episodic interactive movie-type experience.

That he's working with multiple directors suggests the episodic part, and the streaming aspect has obvious consequences for gameplay. My thought would be that although there's a traditional game element and its not just a massive collection of pre-recorded sequences, the way the player controls the game will be indirect in some way.

If its cloud/stream based then it follows that it needs to playable using any sort of interface from a browser to a smartphone. Which in turn makes me wonder whether it'll be in any way tied to Xbox hardware on the consumer end - I'd suspect it'll be available as a standalone thing accessed via a webpage or kiosk app. They could bundle it in with GamePass (and likely will) but I'd be very, very surprised if its exclusive.

I have no idea what that was on about. And I'm really not a fan of famous actors being portrayed in video games. I'm just sick of all these people. I just prefer original characters and designs.

I honestly believe without Game Pass a game like this could not exist. This is coming from someone who really enjoyed that Immortality game.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

The Guillermo Del Toro bridge was burned though. He said he would never work with them again and never work on a game again, the whole thing left a bad taste in his mouth.

Silent Hills wasn't getting revived, that's just the reality. It's way too early to make any judgement calls about OD.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
That Kojima sure does know how to make a teaser. I have no idea what this game is, but it was arresting. Like that 10-minute Death Stranding teaser from way back when.

Top Bottom