• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima: Overly sexualized women in DS will be given a “deep background story"

brinstar

Dont like it ? Vote with your wallet . Let the creators create freely. It's either going to sell well because majority don't care how you feel , or it's going to sell poorly and he will have to fix it . Simple as that really. Crying about it and pushing your own agenda into people's work isn't really the way to do things . Lord bless you if you ever tell me how to do my job .

By this logic there should be no critical discussion of anything on GAF.

If you open any thread about MGSV here there is plenty of conversation about what the game succeeds and fails at in regards to storytelling and its open world design and gameplay.

So why is it that when Quiet comes into the conversation suddenly discussion is off-limits?

Audioboxer

When companies like Nike have their sneakers made in sweatshops, they still sell like crazy. Did people stop 'crying and pushing their own agenda'? Fuck no, and then the industry pushed to improve working conditions.

Kojima is doing a thing that is bad for women and bad for the industry. I don't give a fuck how much it sells, I sure as hell am going to criticize it. Maybe those that can't handle criticism should stop 'crying'.

Not sure working conditions is a good example here given Kojima actually seems to treat his staff well and its Konami that was the little shit. Lots of Kojimas team came with him.

Also bad for the industry is debatable given the amount of money he gets pumped into the industry via his games.

Bad for women is what is debatable. Some will say yes with legitimate reasons, others will say no with legimate reasons. Very few will be swayed to either side and Kojima for better or worse seems to very rarely listen to any feedback.

Any and all arguments about this seem quite futile when you consider you're dealing with someone who got 'more backstory I guess?' out of people going dude, what's up with the absurdly sleazy depiction of your latest game's main female character.

I personally don't care what he does regarding his characters, I find his bizarre attempts at justifying them more offensive actually.

Look, you are a Junior here ... so I am guessing you are new to the videogame industry.

VOTING WITH YOUR WALLET ONLY WORKS IF YOU WANT MORE OF THE SAME*

If you want less of something, what will happen is that the guys in suits will say "damn this game sold like crap. We need 3 Quiets next game"

*unless you are capcom than "i want more resident evil" will be interpreted as "I want a light gun shooter"

was this necessary ?

Euphor!a

Banned
I wonder how much sexualization helps sell games. I was looking at the DLC for rise of the tomb raider and was looking online to see what costumes came with what, and found a lot of people bitching that every costume was full body coverage and what not. I get the feeling that putting in blatant sexualization causes people to bitch, but in the end increases sales.

I don't think it is a coincidence that fighting games tend to lean towards more sexualized outfits for DLC.

It's not my fault games take a long time to make. Haven't played PW that much so don't know how female characters are in that. My argument isn't only that Kojima has done good female characters though, it's that if he wants to make a pointless sexualized female character he can do so and it's not a bad thing.

My argument is that those are two extremelly disconnected arguments. You are welcome to think and argue that Kojima is free to make a pointless sexualized female character, but grounding that in the fact that he made actually decent characters twelve years and four games ago, and so he's due some kind of "feminist currency", is the epitome of flimsy. It doesn't add anything to your argument at all.

Also the fact that games take a lot to make would be a point if he had made one game in those twelve years, but there are four. Four is enough to draw a pattern, slow development or not.

flkraven

Is designing Quiet inherently misogynistic? I never even said I liked Quiet as I felt she made the game too easy with her sniping. I played with D-Dog mostly. But if she was less sexualized I would not even care. What I'm saying is: these designs should be allowed to exist and aren't inherently wrong especially in Mature rated games for adults who understand that they are fictional characters.

They are allowed to exist. They clearly do. We aren't arguing whether or not it should be legal. We are basically discussing that it overall isn't a good design choice, is bad for the industry, is bad for women, and that Kojima has had a problem in this regard for a while now.

You said it yourself, if Quiet was less sexualized you would not even care. So what are you arguing about? What about Quiet's design screams 'creative freedom', that a less objectified character couldn't get away with?

I love going to gaf to see my favorite idiots claim moral superiority over nothing but their assumptions of ones integrity and intentions.

elmars369

Unconfirmed Member
Look, you are a Junior here ... so I am guessing you are new to the videogame industry.

If you want less of something, what will happen is that the guys in suits will say "damn this game sold like crap. We need 3 Quiets next game"

*unless you are capcom than "i want more resident evil" will be interpreted as "I want a light gun shooter"
LOL, like making a GAF account is the first thing you're supposed to do when getting into games.

They are allowed to exist. They clearly do. We aren't arguing whether or not it should be legal. We are basically discussing that it overall isn't a good design choice, is bad for the industry, is bad for women, and that Kojima has had a problem in this regard for a while now.

You said it yourself, if Quiet was less sexualized you would not even care. So what are you arguing about? What about Quiet's design screams 'creative freedom', that a less objectified character couldn't get away with?
But why in the world would Kojima stop what he's doing a design a character he doesn't want to if the majority of people could not care less?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Is designing Quiet inherently misogynistic? I never even said I liked Quiet as I felt she made the game too easy with her sniping. I played with D-Dog mostly. But if she was less sexualized I would not even care. What I'm saying is: these designs should be allowed to exist and aren't inherently wrong especially in Mature rated games for adults who understand that they are fictional characters.
She's the main female character in the game and her name ffs is QUIET. This is a game about serious themes like child soldiers in Africa, nukes, mercenaries, etc. how are you not seeing the issue?

Angry Fork

My argument is that those are two extremelly disconnected arguments. You are welcome to think and argue that Kojima is free to make a pointless sexualized female character, but grounding that in the fact that he made actually decent characters twelve years and four games ago, and so he's due some kind of "feminist currency", is the epitome of flimsy. It doesn't add anything to your argument at all.

Also the fact that games take a lot to make would be a point if he had made one game in those twelve years, but there are four. Four is enough to draw a pattern, slow development or not.

I was only talking about the characters of that period. The person I was responding to said that Eva or Meryl for example were sexualized, I was trying to point out that they weren't *just* sexualized, they had other attributes that made people like them. I wasn't trying to say that because Kojima created the boss that means he gets to make Quiet without criticism, that definitely would be lazy. Sorry if it seemed that way.

7583c90eacd71cd7eed57420ac5843d0.gif

LOL.....she actually arches her back and looks back when she turns around. In real like this means sex.

flkraven

Not sure working conditions is a good example here given Kojima actually seems to treat his staff well and its Konami that was the little shit. Lots of Kojimas team came with him.

Also bad for the industry is debatable given the amount of money he gets pumped into the industry via his games.

Bad for women is what is debatable. Some will say yes with legitimate reasons, others will say no with legimate reasons. Very few will be swayed to either side and Kojima for better or worse seems to very rarely listen to any feedback.

1) Pay attention. I didn't say Kojima's working conditions are bad, I used the comparison to show that 'how something sells' isn't a could indicator whether or not we should complain.

2) Bad for the industry is debatable. I'm not talking about money here, I'm talking about legitimacy. Quiet, as a character, is embarrassing. It's embarrassing when trying to argue that gaming is a legitimate form of media right up there with television and movies, it's embarrassing when trying to treat gaming as an art form, it's embarrassing when arguing that games aren't just for kids; it's just embarrassing. That isn't good for the industry.

3) Objectifying women in any media isn't good for women, it's bad. That isn't debatable.

Kindekuma

Banned

Okay first of all being a junior on NeoGAF doesn't mean you don't know anything about games or the industry. That's just a bad jab at him currently being a new member to the forum.

That's not how it works. Games that sell like shit are either because the game is bad, franchise is niche, have anti-consumer practices like buttload of DLC, etc. Those who don't buy games because of a character weren't going to buy the game for the game anyway.

KonradLaw

The design itself? I mean...that was the point of Quiet, to have almost naked lady run around on the battlefield. Her entire point was just that. Everything else was created afterwards as a pretty ineffective attempt at rationalizing her presence.

Ketkat

I would say it matters a lot, even if it obviously doesn't end the discussion. I would really love for more women to give their insights because I think they're much more relevant than ours regarding this. For that matter I would also be for her GF posting her opinion through his account.

Fine, here's my thoughts on Quiet. She's an absolutely terrible character. She's on part with the Beauty and the Beast group from MGS4. Not having her talk is whatever, it fit her character although her motives were questionable in the end.

Every time I was in that chopper looking through my menus, I was really annoyed that Quiet was always shoving her butt and boobs in my face. Her attempted rape/death scene could have been okay if her shirt wasn't popping open and zooming in on her chest while this is happening. Same for the torture scene.

Her explanation for why she needs to be almost naked makes no sense either. The End has the literally exact same thing going on with him. He wears a full ghillie suit, and he can breath just fine. He couldn't shoot grenades out of the air though, so I'll give her that.

Her being in love with Venom made no real sense either. I get that they wanted some kind of love interest for the game, but her love seemed to come out of nowhere considering Venom said like maybe 2 lines total to her.

Its obvious Kojima just wanted her to be a fanservice character. And while that's kind of annoying, I would not have minded nearly as much if he wasn't such a liar about it.
Saying we'll be ashamed of our words when we hear her backstory, which makes no sense.

In conclusion, D-Dog is the best companion.

She's the main female character in the game and her name ffs is QUIET. This is a game about serious themes like child soldiers in Africa, nukes, mercenaries, etc. how are you not seeing the issue?

Because its a video game made by a man who also designed Johnny: a soldier with irritable bowel syndrome. Relax.

Audioboxer

1) Pay attention. I didn't say Kojima's working conditions are bad, I used the comparison to show that 'how something sells' isn't a could indicator whether or not we should complain.

2) Bad for the industry is debatable. I'm not talking about money here, I'm talking about legitimacy. Quiet, as a character, is embarrassing. It's embarrassing when trying to argue that gaming is a legitimate form of media right up there with television and movies, it's embarrassing when trying to treat gaming as an art form, it's embarrassing when arguing that games aren't just for kids; it's just embarrassing. That isn't good for the industry.

3) Objectifying women in any media isn't good for women, it's bad. That isn't debatable.

Legitimacy and objectification of fictional characters is in the eye of the beholder though. I say that as someone who thinks Quiet is trash, but I'm a little disappointed you're approaching this as "no debate, I'm right, end of". For example Kojima is a net gain to our industry, that's just a fact. That doesn't mean he cannot be critised but that I think some of your remarks are verging into the territory of hyperbole. Hence why I was a bit dumbfounded as to why you were going on about Nike and sweatshops.

I was only talking about the characters of that period. The person I was responding to said that Eva or Meryl for example were sexualized, I was trying to point out that they weren't *just* sexualized, they had other attributes that made people like them. I wasn't trying to say that because Kojima created the boss that means he gets to make Quiet without criticism, that definitely would be lazy. Sorry if it seemed that way.

Ah, OK, my bad, I misunderstood. It's just that some of these characters were indeed amazing (The Boss is probably one of my favorite characters ever) so it's all the more puzzling and sad that he's devolved into stuff like Quiet. :/

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
big boobs, big story

i'm not really sensitive towards this stuff, but it got kind of dumb in MGSV at times.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Because its a video game made by a man who also designed Johnny: a soldier with irritable bowel syndrome. Relax.
Here's the thing, the story of MGSV has very little comedy. Every cutscene is for the most part serious in nature. There's very little in the way of juvenile humor m, so much so, that the gameplay had less serious elements added to alleviate this. "It's video games." Is a self defeating argument that has absolutely no place in a critical discussion. People ITT wish to discuss these things genuinely and their implication. If you don't, then leave, don't sit here and try to stifle discussion with "it's video games@

Toxi

Banned
I wonder how much sexualization helps sell games. I was looking at the DLC for rise of the tomb raider and was looking online to see what costumes came with what, and found a lot of people bitching that every costume was full body coverage and what not. I get the feeling that putting in blatant sexualization causes people to bitch, but in the end increases sales.
I don't really see any examples of it demonstrably increasing sales outside seriously niche franchises.

Personally, I think it can be worthwhile for a writer to look at a weird trope that is constantly handwaved and explore situations in which that trope makes sense.

That's not to say that Kojima does a good job of this, but I disagree with those who are saying "if you're going to sexualize characters, just admit it and don't try to explain it".

Here's the thing, the story of MGSV has very little comedy. Every cutscene is for the most part serious in nature. There's very little in the way of juvenile humor m, so much so, that the gameplay had less serious elements added to alleviate this. "It's video games." Is a self defeating argument that has absolutely no place in a critical discussion. People ITT wish to discuss these things genuinely and their implication. If you don't, then leave, don't sit here and try to stifle discussion with "it's video games@
You attach balloons to soldiers backs and your horse can literally make vehicles slip in its feces.

flkraven

The design itself? I mean...that was the point of Quiet, to have almost naked lady run around on the battlefield. Her entire point was just that. Everything else was created afterwards as a pretty ineffective attempt at rationalizing her presence.

So she's a poorly designed character. So the entire reason for her existing is that she is a sexual object, and they scrapped together a backstory however they could. So why are people arguing this isn't the case? Wouldn't female characters benefit more if he, say, wrote them first instead of objectifying them?

But why in the world would Kojima stop what he's doing a design a character he doesn't want to if the majority of people could not care less?

Because there is outcry? Because it was one of the most largely criticized parts of his game? Because not every single person is some Kojima-zombie ready to follow him into whatever place he wants to go, if it means objectifying women?

Legitimacy and objectification of fictional characters is in the eye of the beholder though. I say that as someone who thinks Quiet is trash, but I'm a little disappointed you're approaching this as "no debate, I'm right, end of". For example Kojima is a net gain to our industry, that's just a fact. That doesn't mean he cannot be critised but that I think some of your remarks are verging into the territory of hyperbole. Hence why I was a bit dumbfounded as to why you were going on about Nike and sweatshops.

Not really? You are either treated like a person or treated like an object. As stated above, Quiets entire existence is basically so he can have a half naked woman on the battlefield. She is basically a token, a poster, an object. She is far less of a 'person' than most of the male characters.

Did you literally not just read what j just said in that post?
Yes I did, and my point still stands. Kojima wanted to have both serious and fun elements in his games. The man and his team do what they want to do and having Quiet wearing a bikini didn't throw off the narrative anymore than the gameplay was.

Angry Fork

I think it's totally fine to call Quiet a bad character, but I think that's an extension of the lazy story because MGS5 has little story/characters compared to previous games, not because Kojima is out to throw women under the bus.

But even if this wasn't the case I think it's fine for movies, tv shows, games etc. to have random sexualized men or women for no reason other than sexual desire. This can be considered low brow entertainment but I think it has a right to exist nonetheless without it being considered an evil of society. It's just a guilty pleasure like enjoying transformers movies or something.

There's plenty of "high art" that has legitimate female characters and will continue to do so. Maybe this isn't necessarily the case in games right now, but for me personally I don't care about games becoming high art, that's not what I look for in them, and the games that try to do this tend to be the most boring and up their own ass to me. There's some exceptions like Bioshock, Uncharted etc. but these games have strong female characters anyway.

Basically if a game has a great story with great characters, it's likely going to have strong non-sexualized female characters as well. Demanding/expecting this out of something as consistently wacky and weird as MGS is misguided imo. Not every game has to be the flame bearer for progressive values, let some games be weird dumb shit.

BibiMaghoo

Those who don't buy games because of a character weren't going to buy the game for the game anyway.

MGS5 is the first and only MG game I have not played, and it was for that very reason. I am not alone in this either. His previous games have all had cheeky nods to this shit, many of them entirely optional. That was not the case here at all, and the severity of it far greater.

Do not be so quick to decide what makes another person not buy a game. If I wanted a weird soft porno, I would watch one, not spend £50 on a stealth game.

Top Bottom