• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami seeking new main staff members for development of new Metal Gear series

I want this to come out and be like, absolutely fantastic, just to see what the fuck would happen

I agree with this man entirely, perhaps everything is fine and we are overreacting and this is just a bad break up.

And Konami looses. I mean I don't know the outcome for sure, but man it would be interesting wouldn't it?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Well, one can only hope that they will et rid of the cheesiness now and the series back on track without Kojima.

But I fear that whoever now will helm the series will only make it worse....
Well I can guarantee Solid Snake will be back in a story that won't fit in the MGS universe.

fedexpeon

Banned
I feel like Kojima and Sony would work.
They have such a long history and connection together.

And Sony Japan Studio needs someone like him to start making some serious Japanese AAA game....You know, like the TLG.

Raitaro

So another case of cold hearted suits and profit driven share holders ruining a company by mistreating its actual talent, a company we grew to love during our childhoods no less? Where did I hear this before?

Soon we'll all be exclusively looking at the past with nostalgia for our traditional gaming needs instead of to the future with hype - which will be the moment in which we've officially become old and outdated...

NZerker12

A Metal Gear which doesn't have Kojima is never a whole Metal Gear.

Seriously though they can continue it but it won't be the same

If they're really going to jettison KojiPro, I'm curious who is going to handle Metal Gear Online post-launch. I can't imagine many would want to stay on as contractors after Kojima is gone.

As someone who played their first MG game on the NES as a kid, this is a rather sad moment to me. Especially to treat a man who has given me such entertaining games over the course of my life with such disrespect. Konami has a lot to answer for, but regardless I can't imagine a scenario where I'd want to play their sham games.

Takao

Banned
If they're really going to jettison KojiPro, I'm curious who is going to handle Metal Gear Online post-launch. I can't imagine many would want to stay on as contractors after Kojima is gone.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't MGO being handled by KojiPro LA? That might survive KojiPro JP's end.

As someone who played their first MG game on the NES as a kid, this is a rather sad moment to me. Especially to treat a man who has given me such entertaining games over the course of my life with such disrespect. Konami has a lot to answer for, but regardless I can't imagine a scenario where I'd want to play their sham games.
Isn't Metal Gear Online handled solely by KojiPro LA?

duckroll

Isn't MGO developed by Kojima Productions LA? The studio is still there, and they have renamed it Konami LA Studio. They're still hiring for it, so presumably it'll continue operating as a US Konami studio and supporting MGO post-launch.

Daffy Duck

A MGS game without Kojima?

V6LqwqI.gif

Alienous

We do not even know the details. Kojima may be as much to blame as Konami.

Of course it's all speculation but I think this most recent news implies, if anything, that Konami viewed Kojima as in their way regarding making the Metal Gear series.

Even if Kojima quit I'm sure that Konami would negotiate some way to continue paying him if he gave his blessing to future titles in the series. Again, speculation, but it seems like there was some disagreement regarding the future of the series. Metal Gear Solid V is probably an expensive prospect for Konami, maybe something on the scale of GTA V financially (MGS4 supposedly cost $70 million dollars to make, MGSV probably costs upwards of that).

From a Konami management point of view I could see how you'd make the choice to get another game out in a relatively short time-frame. "Can you do that Kojima?", "No", "Well then, we'll have to find someone who can".

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It looks to me like Konami has unwittingly given Kojima all the cards he needs for a fan-favored, anti-authoritarian independent project. An evil impostor project giving a push to the ousted underdog ...

Your move Mr. Kojima. I hope you realize what an opportunity this is.

It's the quirky little things that make Kojima games so unique. And MGS is series known for that. RIP MGS and hope Kojima finds himself in another AAA studio to continue making games.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I just hope Kojima's staff stands behind him
and leaves Konami with him so they can see what a huge mistake it was to disband Kojima Productions. I also hope the new series fails miserable.

This is not how you treat someone who gave you so much.

Fuck Konami.

Omikaru

Hopefully Kojima goes on to do his own thing which is amazing, and hopefully Konami reboot Metal Gear and it is good too. They are going to have a hot mess on their hands if they carry on in the current canon.

Even so, I don't like how this has gone down. Doesn't paint Konami in a particularly good light and in the end I'm following Kojima, not Metal Gear.

Isn't MGO developed by Kojima Productions LA? The studio is still there, and they have renamed it Konami LA Studio. They're still hiring for it, so presumably it'll continue operating as a US Konami studio and supporting MGO post-launch.

Yes, Koji LA is being rebranded, but I just can't imagine many of those people would want to stay on, working on MGO under such circumstances. Finishing up MGSV is one thing, but to support a game after your fearless leader has been canned. Well, I've been in such situations and the atmosphere is often toxic.

Solidino

hmmmm Kojima Pro was founded 1 April 2005 e 1 April 2015 will be 10 years anniversary!!!

What a coincidence uh?

It's an April Fool come on. ^^

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Well I can guarantee Solid Snake will be back in a story that won't fit in the MGS universe.
Like that is something new.... We had a lot of stuff over the years that didn't fit into the universe when introduced.... Yet we got used to it...

I saying this without remorse: If the series gets more grounded after Kojima's departure.... Good riddance.

Alienous

Grimløck;156693745 said:
kojima should just kill off all the characters in TPP and bid adieu.

He kind of already did that with
MGS4

He's left very little space in the timeline that hasn't been covered, and TPP is supposed to close an important gap (if Konami don't make a DLC epilogue out of it first).

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
???

Cheesiness is part of Metal Gear.
It wasn't always to this degree. Compare MGS1 to MGS4. That is like a whole new level. MGS4 was retardness deluxe and destroyed every love I had for the series. So don't take offense if I don't shed a single tear about Koji's departure. Hope whoever follows him does a better job.

Just think, assuming splinter cell is still around when the next mg game comes out there's a decent chance it could be the better stealth series, not sure what to think on that

Mista

Banned
This is very disrespectful from Konami :/
Koji worked hard on it and they'll just make it yearly + putting new people? Wow

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It wasn't always to this degreed. Compare MGS1 to MGS4. That is like a whole new level. MGS4 was retardness deluxe and destroyed every love I had for the series. So don't take offense if I don't shed a single tear about Koji's departure. Hope whoever follows him does a better job.

I hope you enjoy your Assassin's Creed or Splinter Cell style game.

Metal Gear without the story originality is generic stealth boredom.

Metal Gear has always had that bizarre nature. And it's part of what made it compelling.

And BTW, most MGS fans who appreciate the weirdness also have issues with MGS4. That is not the barometer for the series so don't act like it is.

I was ready to have the series end after MGS4. Then came Peace Walker and it was fun and MGSV looks to be great too, so it's not the "end of the series" thing that bothers me.

Trying to remove his name from the series up to now though is really scummy. And it was always his wish to have someone else continue his legacy and create Metal Gears without him in the director's chair but that was referring to the people he worked with on the previous games.

Now it appears they're creating an entirely new team to develop Metal Gear. I would've been interested in post-Kojima MG's with his old team, but now, I won't care one bit for anything after V.

Top Bottom