• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami seeking new main staff members for development of new Metal Gear series

post-30744-not-like-this-not-like-this-gi-DBvb.gif

Nicktendo86

Good luck with that, Konami. You'll need it.

Personally, MGS4 was when I stopped caring about Metal Gear Solid. It wasn't terrible, but it felt like I didn't need more, even crazier shit from Kojima in another game.

Portable Ops played terrible and Peace Walker and base building doesn't interest me mechanically and isn't what I'm looking for storywie, either. Big Boss is not a character I care for a lot. I probably won't even get V because of the combo of BB and even more fulton-ing. Yawn.

I am in a similar boat. Personally, I think the series could do with some fresh blood/ideas. 4 really burned me and Ground Zeros didn't really catch me either.

t1gerjaw

The only thing Konami would have had to do is wait until September (after the game drops), send out a flowery release thanking Kojima and co. for their years of work and detailing a transition plan and everything would have been fine.

Instead, they publicly fire the team months before the game ships, send out stupid social media tweets that reveal a shocking lack of awareness at what they just did, and in the same breath mention how they're going to keep the franchise going with a new team.

Absolute imbeciles. I hope the executive who spearheaded this is publicly shamed and fired.

This, but Konami is too stupid to care.

Godan

As a big fan of this franchise from MGS 1. I always thought that when he did his last metal gear that Kojima would leave on good terms with Konami as he has done so much for them. Instead they are kicking him out.

To me he is one of the last few good video game creators left and the are treating him like this. After almost 30 years of service they are driving him out like this. I can't imagine that Kojima's team would want to stay there too so they are losing a lot of people who are good at what they do. Can see Konami running the Metal Gear franchise into the ground now to get as much money as they can and I know I for one won't be buying whatever they toss out as kojima won't have any part in it.

If Kojima doesn't retire after this then I can't wait to see what he does after this. If I was MS or Sony I would be giving him an open check book and saying to him to make an exclusive IP to their console.

Erevador

Is there anything we can do about this? What's the best way for us to show our support for Kojima at this juncture, GAF?

Hubble

The only thing Konami would have had to do is wait until September (after the game drops), send out a flowery release thanking Kojima and co. for their years of work and detailing a transition plan and everything would have been fine.

Instead, they publicly fire the team months before the game ships, send out stupid social media tweets that reveal a shocking lack of awareness at what they just did, and in the same breath mention how they're going to keep the franchise going with a new team.

Absolute imbeciles. I hope the executive who spearheaded this is publicly shamed and fired.

Yep, I hope Konami suffers because of this or does not see the same level of Metal Gear success.

valkyre

I know it is offtopic and I am sorry but can someone add "A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME" to my avatar? I suck at everything that has to do with photo editing/ photoshop.

Would appreciate it.

/offtopic

I still find this hard to believe. Some elaborate April Fools troll by Kojima.

But, if true, that's a real shame. Means we won't see our Kojima ZOE3, and possibly SH. Unless they contract him, which I can't see happening if this falling out is such a big hoo-ha (but who are we to know the contractual terms).

I would love to see Kojima join Platinum Games. That would be pretty awesome. Can make all the crazy (crazier) stuff he wants to without the shackles of a big publisher.

Kane1345

So much disrespect to a man who gave so much.

How is this team able to function and finish MGSV with all of this going on? TPP is going to be an emotional ride for me.

Fuck Konami. This may sound immature but I'll never buy another Konami product again. and to think they can just make Metal Gear games.. without Kojima? wow.

Kojima Productions is one of the best development studios in existance. How arrogant and egotistical do you have to be to just throw that away?

Kamion

I don't even care about Metal Gear anymore, I just wanted to get an actually good Silent Hill title again.

Why, world. Why.

Hypereides

Gold Member
This is somewhat grotesque behaviour from Konamis part. I can imagine the board were pressuring Kojima into immediately starting a new MG project and he refused. They're likely planning to enforce a more frequent and faster developement cycle for the franchise.

Icecold, wow.

But what if the next MGS game turns out to be better than anything what Kojima has created until now? Dun, dun, dun..!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I guess Konami finally did what Kojima couldn't...

They saved him from himself. Since he couldn't stop making Metal Gear games, they made the decision for him.
Seems like Kojima saved himself. And Konami wanted him to do more. I believe you have it backwards.

Konami want Metal Gear games, as indicated by the fact that they are pursuing another one, and Kojima is out.

Otherwise, it could be some other point of contention... But given that Kojima was out there saying "this is the last Metal Gear, even if they make another one its not Metal Gear", it tells me that Kojima wanted to give it a rest, and management didn't.

Haha, wow, what a sacrifice! Think of all those Konami games you would have bought otherwise if not for this! Oh wait. :p

are you a Konami exec?

i would've gotten more metal gear related things made by KojiPro, not to mention Silent Hills, possible Zone of the Enders, Castlevania, etc.

Hubble

This is completely disrespectful by Konami to treat Kojima like this, someone who has done so much in growing Konami as a company.

oh god, what if Konami pushes back MGSV's release date in order to market it more, like that one rumor said??

I meant in more of a team morale sort of way. Must be a horrible atmosphere in there.
i'm hoping Kojima has reassured the team that he has a plan. He seems to be a great leader.

Vamp

I don't get it, MGS5 is not done yet, who will complete it now. Imagine they put bunch of DLC, season passes and other bullshit into MGS5 :(.

Looks like MGSV will be my last Konami game. PES is still shit, even if its improving year-on-year. Have no faith in new Silent Hill.

No interest in Kojima-less Metal Gear. Maybe it'll be awesome. Very much doubt it though. And I'm certain it'll lack the Kojima magic.

Kouichi

This is how I feel about it. It is fine when new teams take over established series, but when the transition is done in such a disrespectful and unprofessional manner, it is difficult to be positive about it. I will not support Konami's future Metal Gear games after this.

It's absolutely a horrible thing that has happened and Metal Gears from this point on will clearly not be a part of the original saga.

On the bright side at least Kojima got to tell the complete story of the two Snakes continuously from Metal Gear Solid 3 to Metal Gear Solid 4.

As someone who likes Raiden, doesn't care for Big Boss and likes the future-set Metal Gear games. I hope a new Raiden game is made as a non-Snake allows even better separation from past entries.

Korigama

Can't wait to see Metal Gear start getting games as brilliant the Silent Hill games after 3, the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow saga, and Bomberman: Act Zero.

Interesting that most Japanese gamers did not even notice anything was wrong until the notice about the job opening was posted. It seems the news about Hideo K's exit was mostly limited to Western media (as the leak was to an English news site), as such most Japanese had no idea until the last hour or two.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So much disrespect to a man who gave so much.

How is this team able to function and finish MGSV with all of this going on? TPP is going to be an emotional ride for me.

The team is already doing everything they can to get the game done. On one of the last Kojima stations there was a studio tour and on the clock it said 9:40 PM and everyone was just working on the game.

Now this whole drama comes in their way and will definitely affect the spirit of the whole dev team.

Poor Kojima Productions, they don't deserve such treatment.

Konami, all I can hope is that this backfire's so hard for you. You goddamn fucking monsters.

oceanskie

Banned

The scenario I'm seeing:

Kojima: MSG5 is nearly done ladies and gentlemen. I've got this awesome new idea about-

Konami board chair: Kojima, as a company executive/director you should know better than to suggest that. We- Konami- Fans want you to make more MSG. Too much money's on the line.

Kojima: But you promised to let me-

Konami: We remember, but times change. The economy's bad, the market is worse. You can always do it after the next MGS.

Kojima: But that's what you said when we shipped MGS4.

Konami: We won't hear more of this. Give us MGS or clear out your desk.

Kojima: ><!

Eusis

This reads to me as entirely ego driven.

Like, a new Metal Gear game was not normally in the cards for this moment in time... A new one is coming out and they'd normally surely wait and see the reaction before planning the next one.

But in the breakdown of talks with KojiPro, some suit was like "we don't need you! We own Metal Gear!" And this new project is actually mandated by ideology to fulfill the threats of the higher ups.

This is a spite-based Metal Gear project.
At least Kojima ALWAYS wanted his next MGS to be "his last" and especially after 4 we were fairly safe to just have him up and leave and either everything can be disregarded as non-canon... or simply would be a separate canon anyway and thus cleanly mitigate the issue.

EDIT: And one thing that concerns me is how he did say something to the effect that if he couldn't make Project Ogre how he wanted, he wanted out of the industry. This leaves me to wonder if we may have some very transparent Konami meddling in the game. Or maybe he lucked out, made it the way he wanted, then Kojima Productions got caved in anyway.

EDIT 2: Also disappointing that it's not going how he really hoped (that he'd guide his staff to be able to create them on their own) but that Konami just kind of rips that all out and goes to hunt down people to do it instead. It's less passing the torch as we sorta had happen with FF (though not very cleanly or ideally) and more like... well, those other Konami series that got handed off to someone else entirely.

Top Bottom