• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami seeking new main staff members for development of new Metal Gear series

Studio-Ghibli-Hayao-Miyazaki-Future-on-Studio-1.jpg

Studio-Ghibli-Hayao-Miyazaki-Future-on-Studio-2.jpg

Studio-Ghibli-Hayao-Miyazaki-Future-on-Studio-3.jpg

Studio-Ghibli-Hayao-Miyazaki-Future-on-Studio-4.jpg

Studio-Ghibli-Hayao-Miyazaki-Future-on-Studio-7.jpg

;___;

hirokazu

This is ridiculous. Again, they haven't made an announcement to clarify to fans WTF is going on. Instead they indirectly acknowledged the accuracy of the leaked info by saying they'll continue to make MGS games and are actively hiring replacement staff.

Geez. You've burnt your bridges with fans of the other franchises you've neglected, then you burn all your bridges with your last big development team and now you're continuing to burn bridges to the fan base you're trying to sell future titles to.

Are they not getting feedback from their marketing team that the MGS fan base is pissed and expect an explanation of what's going on? Or that the fan base's loyalty lies with Kojima and not them? Or do they just not give a fuck apart from going all out in showing how much spite they can throw at Kojima and the team?

The fans deserve answers. You've gagged the dev team and now you're controlling all information about the situation and kept everyone in the dark. Some great PR you have there!

Aerogamer

Neo Member
MGS 5 will most likely serve as my adieu to the series unless the unthinkable happens, without Kojima any other game is not deemed canon to me. I may only give them a try if the reviews and impressions are stellar, but as far as the story TPP will be the conclusion in my mind.

if I were Konami i'd just reboot it

best case scenario it ends up like DmC where some people are outraged and others realize it's a great game regardless

and that way you don't "stain" the series or piss off fans that care about a legacy

then again this is Konami so

Hmm? They actually rebooted both Castlevania and Suikoden.

what does this spell for mgr 2 though....

I kind of feel like it might be safe, but it's hard to say. As much as it sucks that they've made this announcement, that they're still going to make large Metal Gear games going forward (although I guess that might not be the case....) suggests that MGR2 should be safe. But if MGR2 was mainly being made because Kojima was pushing for it and the game was early enough in development, I guess it might be screwed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Much of this doesn't really surprise me. I mean, it was inevitable one way or the other. The only alternative is that either Kojima is literally the only person to direct a Metal Gear game until he dies, or Konami just stops making them at all. In any scenario where Kojima is moving on to new projects, even one while at Konami, the publisher would expect some team to take on the helm. Even if that were to be a new team.

Ideally senior KojiPro staff would remain and lead the series, but maybe the Rising debacle seeded concerns of their capabilities to upper management.

It feels wrong for there to not be a true passing of the torch. Perhaps one could argue that Kojima had [to] have it pried from him? But then, even though Konami does own the IP, it seems unjust for it to not happen on his terms.

I think Metal Gear will do well for maybe one more instalment after TPP but then drop off drastically in terms of sales.

Shengar

Why would MG fan buy Kojima-less MG game?
one will bring up MGR, but that even conceptually originated from Kojima.

Pretty much what happened to final fantasy when sakaguchi left will happen to metal gear, some fans will cry, some will stay loyal, but I will respect Kojima if he says this is the last true metal gear game

I thought people liked Rising. And Ghost Babel, and Ac!d.

It's safe to assume we're going yearly, guys.

They already release titles yearly, remakes, spinoffs or main titles. Konami list MG as its own category in their financial reports, when most other titles are relegated to 'Other'.
Assuming they want to carry on making console games, they'll be making more MG titles, and probably porting the HD collection for current gen and PC, unless they prefer to forget those titles exist.

MGS fans have been pretty cool with the spinoff games like Acid and Rising in the past. If this were being handled differently (if Kojima had just stepped down and we knew the next Metal Gear was being handled by people he picked as his successors), I don't think people would complain.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sucks about the Kojima Productions stuff but a Metal Gear [Solid] without Kojima as the head sounds pretty awesome. Let's see where this goes.

Ozium

note: they say they want to create another Metal Gear "series" not necessarily the continuation of the present one

edit: in other words Metal Gear Chico can be a reality

Road

Halo is thriving without Bungie and Final Fantasy is in better shape than ever without Sakaguchi.

Metal Gear will be fine without Kojima.

Nicktendo86

Have I missed the part where it was confirmed that konami forced Hideo out? That may well have happened but many on here seem to be condemning Konami without knowing the full facts. Perhaps Kojima was being a dick? Who knows.

Halo is thriving without Bungie and Final Fantasy is in better shape than ever without Sakaguchi.

Metal Gear will be fine without Kojima.

Metal Gear is different than other franchises, it oozes Kojima's ideas and Shinkawa's creativity. Kojima and KojiPro are the essence of Metal Gear.

edit: oh god, i just realized you were being sarcastic.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Maybe they just don't want to wait another 7 years for the next game. If I HAD to guess, I would say they probably want to develop more games since Metal Gear is the only big thing Konami has left besides soccer.

Halo is thriving without Bungie

Is it?
I thought people hated 4 and the MCC is still broken.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Konami could play it very smart and down-right dirty by releasing a 1:1 Fox Engine remaster of Metal Gear Solid next on current gen systems.

Can you imagine the how the fanbase would react...?

Unsure-Larry-David.gif

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Konami is just so fucking stupid.

They could have hired a new Metal Gear team while Kojima Productions is working to save another Konami IP for them, Silent Hill.

Everything would have been fine.

AlphaQuack

Neo Member
The Metal Gear franchise has got to land in the right hands. Its a universe with so many fantastic characters, there's that certain type of humour that you don't see in other games and the story, well, i love it.

If the new devs want to start off in the right foot they should ensure us fans that David Hayter gets the role of Snake. It has to be done, you can't have someone else in that role especially if you want a fraction of respect back from the fanbase.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Look on the bright side, at least they have a brand new engine they can use!

Which Kojima Productions created for over 5 fucking years! So in the end they don't even get mentioned and instead erased from everything Metal Gear.

Top Bottom