• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Wii Megaton: DDR: Hottest Party

BuzzJive

FINALLY - Konami is putting a real DDR on a Nintendo platform again. I don't understand why people are dissing this boost in third party support. The IGN hands on sound great. I'm definitely picking this up.

Jammy

Banned
Lavpa Jasai said:
Do you guys really not like DDR that much?

What gives, I thought this game got lots of love?

I for one openly welcome this to wii, I cant wait, I friggin love DDR.

(dont pretend that you have to use the wiimote all the time, im sure they'll have a option to not use it)

DDR is a hit at parties and among more mainstream gamers. These people are all over the Wii right now. GAF tends to be more the hardcore "lemme-tap-mah-X-button-to-cutscenes" gamer.

Oh, and DDR has appeared pretty much everywhere. Although arm motions and swings and stuff could potentially be the biggest change in this series yet.

Muppet345

What's with all the DDR hate? There's nothing to suggest this is going to be bad just because they're adding (probably optional) motion controls. Ah well, such is GAF.

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
I wanted/expected a para para paradise game or a drum mania game from Konami not a DDR.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
"It's like there's a party in my pants and everyone's invited!"

konami_mocap_boxing.jpg

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
MrToughPants said:
"It's like there's a party in my pants and everyone's invited!"
That quote made me think of the game It's Mr Pants for some reason :lol

The M.O.B

When I first looked at the screenshots it reminded me of the Idol Master.It just doesnt have all the bloom on the characters.

wsippel

Banned
Error2k4 said:
kinda OT I always read the thread's title as Wii Megaten ;_;
I don't know, I think Megaten Wii is a given. I doubt Atlus can afford PS3 development, judging by the sales of previous Megaten installments. And Kaneko basically announced it already, anyway. Megaten DS would be an option, though... :)

ethelred

wsippel said:
I don't know, I think Megaten Wii is a given. I doubt Atlus can afford PS3 development, judging by the sales of previous Megaten installments. And Kaneko basically announced it already, anyway. Megaten DS would be an option, though... :)

A.) Yes, Atlus can afford PS3 development. They're not exactly a shoestring budget company.
B.) That you can with one breath say that you doubt PS3 Megaten while with a second breath say that a Wii Megaten is "basically announced" is shocking, given that the PS3 Megaten actually has been announced.
C.) The producers have already commented on Megaten DS and seem keen on doing it.

justchris

Hmmm, I've never been a fan of DDR, but after Guitar Hero & Elite Beat Agents, I suppose it deserves another chance.

The name is amusing though. It's not just a hot party, it's the hottest party. Can't miss it.

Hot.

wsippel

Banned
ethelred said:
A.) Yes, Atlus can afford PS3 development. They're not exactly a shoestring budget company.
They sure can afford to develop some PS3 game, the question is whether or not a PS3 Megaten would be profitable. At about $10 million per PS3 game, and judging by the sales of previous Megaten games, it wouldn't be all that profitable.
B.) That you can with one breath say that you doubt PS3 Megaten while with a second breath say that a Wii Megaten is "basically announced" is shocking, given that the PS3 Megaten actually has been announced.
Many PS3 games were announced before studios realized how expensive development on the PS3 is, let alone how poor the system sells.
C.) The producers have already commented on Megaten DS and seem keen on doing it.
Hey, I missed that one. Good to know, though... :)

Jammy

Banned
ethelred said:

Hasn't the developer gone on to say he wants do something on the Wii, and sees that if a Megaten game were on the system, it would be like one of the originals?

It's just that I've heard of the Wii stuff the original user was alluding to, but not the DS stuff.

Avalon

wsippel said:
Many PS3 games were announced before studios realized how expensive development on the PS3 is, let alone how poor the system sells.

It's been awhile since the SMT4 announcement was made, if I remember correct, it was one of the first PS3 games announced. If they really intended on moving their efforts to another console, I think they maybe would have mentioned something by now. The interview with Kaneko were he mentioned he would like to do something with the Wii in the future would have been a great moment.

ethelred

Jammy said:
Hasn't the developer gone on to say he wants do something on the Wii, and sees that if a Megaten game were on the system, it would be like one of the originals?

It's just that I've heard of the Wii stuff the original user was alluding to, but not the DS stuff.

In the same interview where Kaneko mentioned the Wii, he also mentioned the PS3. So I don't think the point really holds up. :p

What systems can fans expect to see MegaTen games on in the future?
Kaneko: Probably the PS3 and Wii.

And yeah, R&D1 producers have since gone on to comment on SMT DS. That's one of the reasons they were working to push the system so hard on Etrian Odyssey.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the director of P3 and Nocturne which along with Kaneko is in charge of the series now said that after P3 Fes they are moving onto their next big project whatever that means probably SMT4 he didnt specify system tho.

Avalon

Error2k4 said:
the director of P3 and Nocturne which along with Kaneko is in charge of the series now said that after P3 Fes they are moving onto their next big project whatever that means probably SMT4 he didnt specify system tho.

A bit too soon for SMT4. :p

During the last interview he mentioned that the next game would be a Devil Summoner title probably on the PS3 and Wii.

Error

Avalon said:

During the last interview he mentioned that the next game would be a Devil Summoner title probably on the PS3 and Wii.
a bit too soon!? SMT3 was released in 2003 I think in japan so in 2007 that's... 4 years! ;_;

honestly tho I want it to be as good as the other 3 so they can take all the time they want.

ethelred

Error2k4 said:
a bit too soon!? SMT3 was released in 2003 I think in japan so in 2007 that's... 4 years! ;_;

honestly tho I want it to be as good as the other 3 so they can take all the time they want.

Yeah, but Shin Megami Tensei II came out in 1994... so maybe we'll get Shin Megami Tensei IV in 2012!

Avalon said:

I don't think so. I don't think they're interested in doing a multiplatform release -- Kaneko seemed very keen on an old-style first person SMT on the Wii.

Devil Summoner 4 for the PS3 and Megaten Classic for the Wii would be nice.

Avalon

Error2k4 said:

Just six more years until we get a game as polished as Nocturne. =P

ethelred said:
I don't think so. I don't think they're interested in doing a multiplatform release

They will take there sweet time with SMT4 which is why they said the next game will be a Devil Summoner title.

Error

the reason why the series skipped the playstation/N64/saturn gen was because they felt the gen didnt have enough horse power for the ambitious project that SMT3 represented so instead they decided to create new IPs which is what you know as Persona and Devil Summoner now, I read this in a interview at 1up which I cant find right now.

obviously they cant use that excuse now!

ethelred

Avalon said:
Just six more years until we get a game as polished as Nocturne. =P

They will take there sweet time with SMT4 which is why they said the next game will be a Devil Summoner title.

I agree. Devil Summoner on PS3, Megaten spinoff on Wii, bide your time until SMT4... works for everyone.

Avalon

Error2k4 said:
the reason why the series skipped the playstation/N64/saturn gen was because they felt the gen didnt have enough horse power for the ambitious project that SMT3 represented so instead they decided to create new IPs which is what you know as Persona and Devil Summoner now, I read this in a interview at 1up which I cant find right now.

obviously they cant use that excuse now!

If you happen to find a link, send it to me.

Strange comments. Looking at their PS era games, it certainly doesn't look like they were interested in pushing the hardware... and I thought Persona was created to attract younger players?

ethelred said:
I agree. Devil Summoner on PS3, Megaten spinoff on Wii, bide your time until SMT4... works for everyone.

Yeah.
Damn it, I'll have to buy a Wii.

Error2k4 said:
it's Avalons fault!

^^;

Error2k4 said:
kinda OT I always read the thread's title as Wii Megaten ;_;

Error

Avalon said:
If you happen to find a link, send it to me.

Strange comments. Looking at their PS era games, it certainly doesn't look like they were interested in pushing the hardware... and I thought Persona was created to attract younger players?
seems like 1up took it out of the site or something there was another interview with kaneko going over some of his designs with in depth descriptions and stuff which was an awesome feature but it doesnt seem to be in the site anymore either.

honestly tho I believe that to be true, SMT3 is HUGE after all.

Error

Avalon said:
found it

GMR: The last games in the central Shin Megami Tensei series were released some time ago, for 16-bit consoles. Why did it take so long to make a third game in the series, and why did you choose to create it now?

Kaneko: When the 32 bit consoles (PS & Saturn) were released, it took a while for us to create a different kind of Megami Tensei game, one that we hoped would appeal to a wider audience. We had a lot of great ideas that were incorporated into the game and which we developed to the fullest potential at the time.

Yamai: But, the PS2 specs were necessary to complete this massive project as we envisioned.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3123344&did=1

I always thought that if they did a DDR game for Wii, they should use the Wiimotes like glowsticks, and all the songs are rave songs. And you can buy a new pacificer peripheral for $19.99 and suck on it to the beats.

Now that's a game I WOULD BUY!

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
The problem with this music games is that there are never italian's songs and this is a shame.
Ugh, I can live without Mo-Do, Eifel65, Eros Ramazotti and Zucherro, thank you.
Also this game will be pretty successfull, whether some like it or not. I'd too rather have something different but who can blame a company for wanting to make money? As long as they fund fresh ideas like that Adventure game on Wii it's all fine and dandy with me.

Amir0x

Banned
John Master Lee said:
I always thought that if they did a DDR game for Wii, they should use the Wiimotes like glowsticks, and all the songs are rave songs. And you can buy a new pacificer peripheral for $19.99 and suck on it to the beats.

Now that's a game I WOULD BUY!

(ecstasy sold separately)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Where did this come from!

Anything that (might) breathe some life into DDR again is a good thing. And Wii is perfect for music games. The more the merrier.

The impressions sound really good. Are there any full-body-shot videos of people playing this? The remote use sounds interesting, I wanna see it!

radioheadrule83 said:
The impressions sound really good. Are there any full-body-shot videos of people playing this? The remote use sounds interesting, I wanna see it!

I saw one, I think it was at Gamespot.

Top Bottom