• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami's fall from grace

Konami saw this:

[PSP] Suikoden: Centennial Tapestry (Konami) - 61.784 / 101.779

and probably went "NOPE" (Yes, I know it's a spinoff)
That was a Suikoden in name only. Something that no one wanted.

I don't know why they thought that a game like that would entice the fan base in any way.

sohois

Is there any Japanese 3rd party/publisher that isn't going down either financially or in quality?

Platinum Games is the only exception I know, any others?

Konami has made a profit for every year since 2007; Sega made a huge profit in their past fiscal year. I'll have to check with the others

edit: checking through the major Japanese publishers, every single one of them reported recent profits with the exception of Square Enix, Nintendo & Sony (who's losses are largely due to their other sectors)

arttq

Konami was probably one of the smartest japanese game companies this gen. They are doing fine business-wise but the lack of versatility in games is a bit sad.

kuroshiki

Konami is making truck load of money and financially better than ever before thanks to their mobile/social/card games.

So yeah, they have really no reason to invest a lot in console business.

Xanadu

Banned
Never forget.

enthusia-9.jpg

better than gt4

Is Konami facing financial issues? It seems so because, outside of MGS and they already stablished IPs, they don't try to bring a big new IP.

I actually have wondered in the past how they're still in business. I mean companies like THQ go under and they had a bunch of successful franchises. Even in Japan Konami struggles with anything not under the MGS banner.

Konami is now a Metal Gear factory. It's a sad situation.
Unfortunately, they made several poor business decisions like:

• running the Igavania style Castlevanias into the ground with too many games that didn't push the envelope
  • out-sourcing Castlevania to a team that doesn't deserve it
  • abandoning the Suikoden series
  • abandoning Zone of the Enders series (HD remake doesn't count)
  • abandoning Goemon series
  • abandoning Boktai series
  • abandoning Gradius in favor of Otomedius
  • wasting Hudson's line-up
  • wasting highly original team responsible for Elebits / Dewy's Adventure (what happened to them?)

And it's too bad, because some of their ideas made sense on paper.
They tried to do remakes of some of their nostalgic titles, which could have been awesome, if they didn't suck:

• Vandal Hearts
  • TMNT Turtles in Time
  • Rocket Knight
  • And the WiiWare versions of Contra, Castlevania, Gradius

Personally, I had hoped that Konami would:
  • make Zone of the Enders 3
  • rehire Treasure to make a follow-up to the incredible Gradius V
  • create a full 3D polygonal version of Boktai on portables that returns to its roots (the first game was the best one)
  • make an old-school Castlevania with separate levels like 1, 3, and 4 where platforming actually matters
  • continue to make original IPs with the Elebits / Dewy's Adventure team
  • allow Kojima to make something other than Metal Gear... the hinted at Snatcher with Suda 51 would have been amazing if it wasn't just a dumb radio play

Furthermore, Hudson's franchises could make for great downloadable titles: a new Bomberman game like the N64 versions could be good, as would new versions of Adventure Island similar to the GameCube remakes

kuroshiki

I actually have wondered in the past how they're still in business. I mean companies like THQ go under and they had a bunch of successful franchises. Even in Japan Konami struggles with anything not under the MGS banner.

Like I mentioned above, Konami is healthier as a company than EVER before. They have shit ton of income from their side businesses. I'm not even sure if we should even consider Konami as a video game company anymore.

Does Konami owns the MGS brand?

You better believe it.

Never forget.

enthusia-9.jpg

Such an awesome game. I moderately enjoyed the last console Silent Hill but that book of memories crap looks like an abomination to me. It's sad they can't put MGS to rest and focus on new&exciting things.. here's hoping they will get their shit together.

IrishNinja

Konami has made a profit for every year since 2007; Sega made a huge profit in their past fiscal year. I'll have to check with the others

i thought Sega took a big loss last financial statement, or was that based on prior expectations?

Konami was probably one of the smartest japanese game companies this gen. They are doing fine business-wise but the lack of versatility in games is a bit sad.

Konami is making truck load of money and financially better than ever before thanks to their mobile/social/card games.

So yeah, they have really no reason to invest a lot in console business.

Konami is doing fine as a company, but traditional videogames is just a part of their business nowadays, they are huge in the social game space in Japan, and they have profitable business with Packinko & Slot and Health & Resorts business.

Just an example:

https://www.konamigaming.com/news/1...-incs-kcms-to-replace-its-current-system.html

wasn't aware of the health & resorts chains, diversifying like that does indeed seem smart...but banking so much of their game development on one sphere, doesn't that seem - at the very least, with a looming shift in generations we're looking at - like a lot've missed opportunity? granted, i'm clearly biased but basically letting their catalog slowly die in irrelevance doesn't strike me as sound.

edit:

I'm not even sure if we should even consider Konami as a video game company anymore.

i'm thinking this might be a healthier perspective here, honestly

Batzi

Banned
No big contra (4 was a silent release), no turtles, no international superstar soccer, no more good games.

They put al their effort in PES and Metal Gear, which is why people don't care anymore. Pes is failling and MGS is getting old for alot of gamers...
If there is one franchise that is constantly changing and surviving it is the Metal Gear franchise. Sorry dude but that statement is wrong on many levels.

Usobuko

Banned
Anyone expecting Japanese heavyweight companies to make games, more specifically new IPs, with Japanese aesthetics can give up the pipe dream. They won't because these no incentives unless it's on an established IP that guaranteed a certain respectable threshold of sales. At this point, it's a cultural thing. The dominant culture is flexing its muscle. Look at the box office for Spirited Away, not even close to the top 50 highest grossing animated film and 83% of the $274M came from Japan.

Be realistic, that's just how it is.

Is there any Japanese 3rd party/publisher that isn't going down either financially or in quality?

Platinum Games is the only exception I know, any others?

Only a minuscule portion of the audience in the West appreciate PG polished mechanics and creativity, their games are still bombing commercially. Bayo 2 and W101 don't look likely to change that course.

sohois

i thought Sega took a big loss last financial statement, or was that based on prior expectations?

For Sega I'm seeing good figures for 2010, 11 & 12, though there were losses in 08 & 09. This is looking specifically at SegaSammy, not Sega sepcifically though.

edit: Looking at income by segment, it seems you are correct. "Consumer Business" lost in 2012 and was making a small profit previously. 2013 looks to be about even as well so far. Most of their profits come from the Pachinko stuff

squall23

Did they ever have a compelling reason as to why they never pursued Beatmania in America while trying their hardest to kill off the competition?
To be fair, they only tried to sue the devs of Rock Band. Konami was apparently getting royalties from the devs of Guitar Hero.
this is news to me - interesting to hear they're making something over there, and that music games found a home of sorts. are we talking licensed music?
Konami's music games consist of both original music and licensed music. Even without the licensed music, Konami has their own stable of really good DJs and composers that work exclusively for their music games.

kuroshiki

For Sega I'm seeing good figures for 2010, 11 & 12, though there were losses in 08 & 09. This is looking specifically at SegaSammy, not Sega sepcifically though.

Sega cancelled basically every western release due to financial reason. They were not making money on consumer division that much.

Still crossing finger for Yakuza 5.

I still secretly hope they'll do more home Bemani that isn't dance dance revolution. It's not going to happen, but still. New IIDX for PS4 with every single in the series. Please.

leroidys

Their golden age was clearly the 8-16 bit era, but they were amazing last gen as well. MGS 2 & 3, ZOE 1 &2, Gradius V, Suikoden III & V, Order of Ecclesia, Dawn of Sorrow, Ring of Red, Ganbare Goemon DS, Lunar Knights, Contra 4, Silent Hill 2 & 3... lots of great stuff.

Now... ugh.

Usobuko

Banned
Their golden age was clearly the 8-16 bit era, but they were amazing last gen as well. MGS 2 & 3, ZOE 1 &2, Gradius V, Suikoden III & V, Order of Ecclesia, Dawn of Sorrow, Ring of Red, Ganbare Goemon DS, Lunar Knights, Contra 4, Silent Hill 2 & 3... lots of great stuff.

Now... ugh.

The Castlevania games weren't on the same generation as the rest you have listed. You could include Aria of Sorrow which is a better game imo anyway.

arttq

What I find interesting is that Kojima productions is hiring aggressively now and they are making a new studio in LA. Maybe in future they are able to handle multiple game projects at same time and work on other IP's than Metal Gear.

Why not give those two a break and give Bill and Lance their shot in a third-person shooter?

That's a terrible idea, because everyone has already played that (Gears of War).
They can't really continue the Contra series.
Contra has, for all intents and purposes, been superseded by the Metal Slug series (which, too, is now on its last legs due to excessive regurgitation).

Acorn

I really don't get the opinion that kojima is 'forced' to make mgs. If he really wanted to do something else and they said no, kojima could easily say fuck you and join someone else or get funding for a new studio.

Kojima just bitches alot really.

crinale

As many people have stated, in Japan video games (especially console/handheld games) aren't as "hot" as it used to be. It has become just another one of digital entertainments available in many forms, not the one stands out from the bunch.
You sure can be successful if you put enough money for development and promotions, but little people are treating this as a good investment.
Ever since Powerful Pro Baseball became a hit for Konami, in parallel with developping PES, they were smart enough to gradually shift more to "Sports and Fitness" area. If you ask an average Joe what Konami is today's Japan then he'll tell you it's a company runs a fitness club all over in Japan.

Up until, say like 2005 or so, many young skilled engineers wanted to get into game industry, but now the trend is reversed 180. I wish things turn around in a better way but there's little hope...

IrishNinja

Konami's music games consist of both original music and licensed music. Even without the licensed music, Konami has their own stable of really good DJs and composers that work exclusively for their music games.

that's actually pretty cool, didn't know that last bit - so that in-house stable of DJs is likely responsible for the beatmania tracks i dug then?

Still crossing finger for Yakuza 5.

you and me both, brother

Now... ugh.

which is funny because much like Square, i can't tell you which era of theirs i liked better overall: SNES or PSX. the latter felt like it had so much more experimentation, but a side-by-side list of their titles from both gens makes for a really interesting discussion.

What I find interesting is that Kojima productions is hiring aggressively now and they are making a new studio in LA. Maybe in future they are able to handle multiple game projects at same time and work on other IP's than Metal Gear.

for both Konami's portfolio and Kojima's sanity, i'd love for that to be the case - Koji's seemed like he wanted to work on non-MGS titles forever now, but he never does

squall23

I still secretly hope they'll do more home Bemani that isn't dance dance revolution. It's not going to happen, but still. New IIDX for PS4 with every single in the series. Please.
I'm guessing because it's financially risky to sell complex hardware for 1 game nowadays. Taiko can get away with it because 1. it's Taiko and they can market it to a huge audience, 2. the drum actually is just 2 sensors, not that hard to make.
that's actually pretty cool, didn't know that last bit - so that in-house stable of DJs is likely responsible for the beatmania tracks i dug then?
That is absolutely correct.

As many people have stated, in Japan video games (especially console/handheld games) aren't as "hot" as it used to be. It has become just another one of digital entertainments available in many forms, not the one stands out from the bunch.
You sure can be successful if you put enough money for development and promotions, but little people are treating this as a good investment.
Ever since Powerful Pro Baseball became a hit for Konami, in parallel with developping PES, they were smart enough to gradually shift more to "Sports and Fitness" area. If you ask an average Joe what Konami is today's Japan then he'll tell you it's a company runs a fitness club all over in Japan.

Up until, say like 2005 or so, many young skilled engineers wanted to get into game industry, but now the trend is reversed 180. I wish things turn around in a better way but there's little hope...

Where did you get that idea from?

I really hate how this company doesn't make games anymore, they made a new IP this year and it was Blades of Time, while it wasn't too bad, it's hardly a remarkable piece of entertainment.

Tizoc

Weeeeeeeeeell I personally would like them to release the classic Rocket Knight games on PSN, XBL, Steam, etc.

you and me both, brother
It'll come bro, maybe not an E3 announcement but it'll come.
GIMME ALL YAKUZA GAMES ON STEAM SEGA! I WILL BUY AND GIFT THEM!!!!!

Konami was a huge part of my childhood. They delivered some of the very best NES games, most of them classics.

To watch them fall from grace like this is painful and frustrating. I don't know what's wrong with them, but they've decidedly gone from a top-tier developer to my shit list in one generation. (AND they killed Hudson for no reason.) Nice job, guys.

as a Suikoden fan, i look at V like i look at Phantasy Star IV: it's as fine an ending as the series looks to get, and the people still around do not seem up to the task of topping it, so while it pains me, it might be for the better than i just assume the series proper stopped there

Sadly, I agree :(

I wondering if that's how I should feel about no more Breath of Fire, too. Does Capcom still have employ the talent behind that series?

They need to take a page from Falcom's Kiseki series and realize that there is a market for deep, story and world driven games. I feel like very few Suikoden fans want or expect some huge, graphically impressive Suikoden VI. Make a quality canon title for the 3DS/Vita with an emphasis on the awesome setting they've already created, and I think they would see a very supportive response.

There you go.

[*]abandoning Boktai series

I always forget about this, but when I remember I get really mad. :(

[*]And the WiiWare versions of Contra, Castlevania, Gradius

I dunno about Contra and Gradius, but CV Rebirth was quite good.

[*]create a full 3D polygonal version of Boktai on portables that returns to its roots (the first game was the best one)

Yes please.

[*]allow Kojima to make something other than Metal Gear... the hinted at Snatcher with Suda 51 would have been amazing if it wasn't just a dumb radio play

I'm still bitter about that.

Hey Suda, you have time to waste on shit like that but you can't write and direct GHM games anymore? UGH...

AHA-Lambda

Is Konami facing financial issues? It seems so because, outside of MGS and they already stablished IPs, they don't try to bring a big new IP.

That's the thing I think as a company they're doing just fine via the social/mobile space. But they have become totally irrelevant in the AAA sector apart from MGS.

Yeah, and fucking Kojima has to be involved with both of them.

If he's got so much power and is so sick of MGS, why doesn't he make a new IP?
He can't help it when his studio (aside from PES team) is the only one actually making hit best-sellling console games for the company. They can't just ignore their most successful IPs.
People like to blame him for the current state of Konami for some reason. He's only responsible for his studio efforts, he's not making the decisions that eventually led to the demise of other Konami studios and IPs.

They just need to make more games. Like have Arc make another Contra, or "Hard Corps". Shit, that's basically all I want from them really.
I want Hard Corps Uprising 2: Hardcore Harder as well. Also let someone take a swing at making a classic style Castlevania (maybe Arc lol).

He can't help it when his studio (aside from PES team) is the only one actually making hit best-sellling console games for the company. They can't just ignore their most successful IPs.
People like to blame him for the current state of Konami for some reason. He's only responsible for his studio efforts, he's not making the decisions that eventually led to the demise of other Konami studios and IPs.

I'm asking why he doesn't use that power to work on something new in addition to MGS, which he says he's tired of.

Instead, he goes and messes with Castlevania.

As an MSX owner, I could only see Konami as the gaming titans, their output on the MSX systems were amazing (as history showed). But nowadays I really wonder what they do besides Castlevania and Metal Gear. I really stopped giving a damn when I saw their extreeeeme E3 conference

Top Bottom