• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami's fall from grace

I love Lords of Shadow so I still give Konami props as a publisher for that strategic decision (to stop the reign of IGA and the descent of Castlevania franchise). I know there are a legion of IGA-lovers on GAF, but man Lords of Shadow was a huge step in the right direction in my mind.

andymcc

Banned
Konami hasn't been relevant since the end of the 16 Bit days. Yeah, they sometimes make some noise on the PS1, but their decline started then.

I can see where you're coming from but Castlevania: SotN, Gradius Gaiden, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid, Bemani/DDR, Goemon Uchuu Kaizoku Akogingu, Suikoden, Silent Hill, Sexy Parodius... all of these games are from this generation...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It is sad, but the only game out of Konami I enjoyed this generation was Lords of Shadow. (The 3DS game was shit unfortunately)

Yes that also includes MGS4...awful game.

Codeblue

I was pretty apathetic towards Konami this generation. Then they bought Hudson and I suddenly cared about how they were doing.

Then they cancelled everything and killed the studio and my indifference became loathing. My dream scenario right now is for them to run out of money and sell Hudson's IPs to Nintendo so they can just hand them off to NDCube.

entremet

That sure as hell didn't work out for Peace Walker, but we'll see how MGSV does.

Yeah, I don't know why he decided to make a premier MGS game for such an irrelevant platform. I love the PSP, but don't go mainline MGS game for it.

I think the problem was that outside of KojiPro Konami has bled a ton of talent. the Suikoden teams are gone, the Cvania IGA teams are gone. Team Silent died years ago, and that's just a few. Why did all these studios disband anyway? I mean how would someone have let Team Silent break up like Konami did?

Probably had something to do with Kojima. I guess he was the most respected game designer at Konami, since each one his games sold millions of copies, while the others were making smaller niche games. When the development budgets rocketed with the introduction of PS360, they were probably let go.

I was about to open this same thread last week, then I gave up because sadness... :(

Seriously I refuse to accept a world without Suikoden, original Silent Hill (not that Shattered Memories was bad, just different) or Igavania.
Suikoden is still the one that hurts the most, I want to know what happens after III and we didn't even get that last PSP one :(

And don't get me started on what they did to Hudson :mad:

D-e-f-

Banned
Ironically enough, I just bought Tomena Sanner on WiiWare today.

SUCH an utterly INSANE game. Still can't believe Konami actually made this internally.

TreIII

And the put a stake in the heart of Hudson. Dammit.

This.

Bad enough that they stomped all over their own company's legacy. They went and sprayed insecticide all over the poor Hudson bee.

We were supposed to get a Bomberman 3DS when that console launched...but then...

I just can't see a company that has MGS5 coming out soon as fallen from grace- because that looks amazing. I just hope they right the ship on castlevania and make ones like the GBA/DS had.

D-e-f-

Banned
I just can't see a company that has MGS5 coming out soon as fallen from grace- because that looks amazing. I just hope they right the ship on castlevania and make ones like the GBA/DS had.

I can, because that's pretty much the only worthwhile thing they have left.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Oh there are lots....From Software, Atlus, etc.

You just tend to hear about the ones that ARE struggling.

To add to that, Falcom, Gust, Idea Factory/Compile Heart.

But yeah, I agree that Konami's collapse was one of the great tragedies of this gen. Back in the NES era, I'd buy stuff from Konami/Ultra sight unseen, and rarely did it disappoint (well, aside from Turtles 1, Snake's Revenge and Bayou Billy).

This gen, the best thing Konami did was publish ASW's Hard Corps: Uprising. It's one of the best Contra games in recent memory with a lovely art style. Getting teams to rekindle some of their old IPs in a classy manner (i.e. not like the atrocities that were the new Rocket Knight or Rush N Attack) would've been great. Imagine a 2-player online co-op JACKAL (similar somewhat to Renegade Ops or Assault Heroes)? Or a Suikoden developed by Falcom?

Mobius 1

Never forget.

enthusia-9.jpg

Outstanding game. Still try it from time to time.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I can't help but wonder if certain companies would be healthier if their North American sectors were granted more power. If Japanese game development is trailing western game development, then how does it make sense to allow these companies to primarily operate out of Japan? Why not turn over some of that power to the regions in which the quality and sales are better?

Has this ever been shown to be true? Apart from SEGA in the Kalinske era, of course.

Considering the financial chaos many western publishers are in nowadays, I don't really know whether or not this would be a better choice.

Ty4on

I'm guessing this game was aimed at car enthusiasts.

For those who do not know GT4 was a great game in many ways, but had very poor physics. Enthusia on the other hand went all out to replicate how a real car behaved in a video game on the same hard ware.
I can't comment of Enthusia's physics, but knowing how weird GT4s physics were I understand why it's so loved. In GT4 the car won't slide like it should and when it does start to slide it behaves very slowly to input until suddenly snapping making it very hard not to overcompensate. It sort of drives like the cars in NFS Porsche with a lot of lift off oversteer, but very little (if any) power oversteer. FWD cars also have a strange tendency to oversteer when given throttle which is the opposite of what you'd expect.
The downside isn't just in realism. The predictable oversteering (drifting) with RWD cars is much of what makes them so much fun to toss around.

Kyzon

Konami's situation makes me sad. I drive by their Las Vegas branch often, and I always wonder what Iga's doing. He needs to make a 3DS Castlevania.

DasRaven

Gradius 5 was made by Treasure.

So just let them make Gradius 6.

Indeed, but considering that they Konami cancelled a number of complete and near-complete Hudson projects, what are the chances that they'd offer their Gradius IP to anyone else to develop a new game. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

So, I'm willing to settle for a Iuchi-guided PS2 Classics/XBLA port of Gradius V (as done with Ikaruga) under the Konami banner because that's as much as I think is possible at this point.

Tiu Neo

Was one of my favorite companies until last gen. Sure, they made a lot of crap, but they made some of my favorite games, too. Castlevania, MGS and Suikoden are very high on my top 10 favorite series. Now, only one is really alive, Castlevania became something else, and Suikoden only exists as a name for spin-off RPGs that will probably never come west, that if it's still alive.

Nowdays? The only thing I want from them is that they finally release Suikoden II-V and Tactics on PSN, so more people can play it. :(

IrishNinja

Konami's biggest problem is they let the completely useless Kojima take over so many resources and finances. He is sucking the company dry making lame projects.

Much like Miyamoto of Nintendo, Kojima is the kind of person that is poison to management leadership, freedom, and creativity.

...wasn't expecting this comparison outta nowhere

What's this bullshit I hear about people shitting on Tierkries? Maybe it wasn't some pseudo-historical revolution RPG, but it was really really awesome regardless.

literally the first positive thing ive heard about it...were you a Suikoden fan? because if i renamed Nier to Megaman Legends 3 it'd still be a game i love, but the fanbase might be a bit peeved

And M2 actually developed both of them.

ah, didn't know that! they can do no wrong

Best game of the generation.

again i really don't wanna hijack my own thread here, but it's a perfect picture of the decline: they had to put the whole of their staff on board getting it out, and it was bad cinematics > gameplay and shat over a great portion of the series' story.

glad it holds up for you; as an MGS fan, it was a huge disappointment, looking back.

Too bad for you (and likeminded folks). I loved LoS as much as I loved SotN and Castlevania 4. It's a great game and frankly the franchise is in a healthier state these days than it ever was before. LoS sold pretty well and lots of fans are looking forward to the sequel.

ditto to this; it doesn't feel like Castlevania but its the only thing we're getting so i'm glad you like it. i'll give it another go before 2 comes out, and try to forget about the series' better titles i guess.

Konami hasn't been relevant since the end of the 16 Bit days. Yeah, they sometimes make some noise on the PS1, but their decline started then.

wow, really? i was just arguing whether their peak was 16 or 32 bit, that's a first for me

That Konami Appreciation Thread ruined my day and it is 9 am.

*sigh* yeah does that to me too, guess i kinda wanted to share the misery there

Gradius 5 was made by Treasure.

So just let them make Gradius 6.

^i am with this person (only this time don't make it on a blue disc)

Opiate

As others have mentioned, Konami is fine. They haven't "died," and they aren't losing money, unlike "healthy" companies like EA and Take 2.

Instead, they have transitioned away from a "hardcore" console focus like Disney, LucasArts (lol) and Sega have. They make a lot of stuff for mobile devices, they make Pachinko machines, and also have a robust fitness chain.

For some people who particularly focused on consoles, this makes them basically invisible, the way Zynga or Gameloft do not exist to many GAF members, or for those who believe Bethesda only sprung in to existence when they released Oblivion on consoles. But in practical terms, (i.e. are they making a profit), Konami are doing just fine, and are much healthier than many other companies that stayed put and continued focus on consoles.

As sad and pathetic as Konami's descent into EXTREME game design sorryness this generation is, the truly dangerous part is their successful returns from non-traditional games sources. The cellphone and (a)social bits. Pray more publishers don't notice this...

Tak Fujii still works at Konami right? Extreme!

In the "dude who designed Silent Hill monsters is directing a teenage girls (a)social smartphone game" sorta way, probably.

Has this ever been shown to be true? Apart from SEGA in the Kalinske era, of course.

Considering the financial chaos many western publishers are in nowadays, I don't really know whether or not this would be a better choice.

People want them to pick the other poison of damnation. What can I say? It's the devil they know.

What's this bullshit I hear about people shitting on Tierkries? Maybe it wasn't some pseudo-historical revolution RPG, but it was really really awesome regardless.

Ritualized Mediocrity

Takao

Banned
Tak Fujii still works at Konami right? Extreme!

Yeah, but I believe he's working on phone games now.

Yeah, I don't know why he decided to make a premier MGS game for such an irrelevant platform. I love the PSP, but don't go mainline MGS game for it.

I doubt Konami is displeased with Peace Walker. While it sold a fraction of what the mainline console releases do it still did pretty well (mostly in Japan). They were able to crank that out faster than a console release anyways.

Ryuhza

Banned
They need to build more bases. Make new franchises. Lords of Shadow should have been something new, coexisting alongside Castlevania.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
literally the first positive thing ive heard about it...were you a Suikoden fan? because if i renamed Nier to Megaman Legends 3 it'd still be a game i love, but the fanbase might be a bit peeved

I really liked Suikoden 1 when I was a teen, but don't remember much about the plot.

I almost shed manly tears when Gremio was killed

iMerc

it's so sad to see what konami are today.
MGS is the only property them seem to put their full effort behind these days.

It sucks because i was a bigger fan of konami's output before MGS became a hit for them on psx.
rocket knight, TMNT, cybernator, axelay, gradius, castlevania, vandal hearts.

Thank goodness the tema that make up 'treasure' left before konami could do any damage to them.

Hudson is gone too.

well, the hudson team that worked on the mario party franchise are alive and well -at least; just under a different company now.

i want to see master higgins in a retail game. someone please make this. :(

as long as we have Metal Gear, Konami is still a king.

ugh.
no offense, but ugh.

i think MGS is everything that's wrong with konami today.

OnPoint

Ironically enough, I just bought Tomena Sanner on WiiWare today.

SUCH an utterly INSANE game. Still can't believe Konami actually made this internally.

It's the kind of game that made me REALLY excited about WiiWare. It was so wacky and weird. Shame, what that service actually was Vs. its potential.

Top Bottom