• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami's fall from grace

Conor 419

Banned
They literally just have Metal Gear and Castlevania, I think they could do with getting rid of all the weirdos in their staff (we all remember E3 2010), and play it generally safe while introducing the occasional solid, new IP.

ys45

Konami Screwed up big time with Castlevania, one of my favorite series of all time and they decided to transform the series into a 3d platformer that is average at best .

A little bit off topic maybe but i see Gaffers talking a lot against MGS4 and i was curious what are you guys not liking about MGS4 ? i tought it was pretty good at the time when it came out (finished it).

I don't want to start a debate here but Im just curious to see some point of view from some fellow Gaffers who did not enjoy the game.

BadWolf

Pretty sure it was mentioned in another thread that they are making a killing on social/mobile games.

They don't really matter to us outside of MGS but in terms of profit they are one of the most successful companies in Japan iirc.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
What's this bullshit I hear about people shitting on Tierkries? Maybe it wasn't some pseudo-historical revolution RPG, but it was really really awesome regardless.

entremet

Konami's biggest problem is they let the completely useless Kojima take over so many resources and finances. He is sucking the company dry making lame projects.

Much like Miyamoto of Nintendo, Kojima is the kind of person that is poison to management leadership, freedom, and creativity.

Well much like Miyamoto, Kojima brings in the bucks.

Haunted

RIP Konami

So many cool franchises in the past, so many I was personally invested in.

Their only good games in the last couple years have been outsourced and made by Western devs - though they had plenty of outsourced duds as well. It's a real shame we've basically lost PES and MGS and Silent Hill to irrelevance (if not in the market, then in quality), all three used to be among my personal favourites. :(

Good recent games published by Konami: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Contra 4.

zainetor

Banned
they turned castlevania in god of war. I would have liked a new ip, instead of that.
I hope for them that thanks to fox engine, they become more productive and relevant in the next gen.

BadWolf

RIP Konami

So many cool franchises in the past, so many I was personally invested in.

Their only good games in the last couple years have been outsourced and made by Western devs - though they had plenty of outsourced duds as well. It's a real shame we've basically lost PES and MGS and Silent Hill to irrelevance (if not in the market, then in quality), all three used to be among my personal favourites. :(

Good recent games published by Konami: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Contra 4.

MGS is not irrelevant, neither in market nor in quality.

Haunted

I stand corrected, looks like they published Skullgirls as well, that's a good game.

MGS is not irrelevant, neither in market nor in quality.
I think MGS4 is a steaming pile of shit and Kojima should not be directing games.

edit: oh man, this thread just reminded me of Suikoden Tierkreis. :( Where's Himuro for a good rant if you need him. Though I didn't hate it as much as other Suikoden fans.

Somnid

I think the main problem like a lot of Japanese companies is that HD development turned into this chase of western studios. They realized that they need an international audience to sustain the development, what they didn't understand was that internationalizing doesn't mean simply pandering to the Western market. This is less interesting domestically, and it's not what fans of these companies were looking for. It's not even like western development was doing things right either. Teams were too big, budgets were too big, creativity was minimum, forced multiplayer, DLC, etc but oh man were the graphics and presentation top-notch. So they spent a lot of money to say "see, we can make awesome looking games too!" and then had their legacy dragged down with all the related bullshit.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Responsible for some of the finest games ever.

Castlevania (3D ones do not count)
Snatcher / Policenauts
Metal Gear Solid
Suikoden
Bemani
Gradius / Parodius
Track & Field series
Simpsons / Turtles / Crime Fighters / Vendetta

And now? Umm.... hmm. Very sad.

Bedlam

Konami Screwed up big time with Castlevania, one of my favorite series of all time and they decided to transform the series into a 3d platformer that is average at best .
Too bad for you (and likeminded folks). I loved LoS as much as I loved SotN and Castlevania 4. It's a great game and frankly the franchise is in a healthier state these days than it ever was before. LoS sold pretty well and lots of fans are looking forward to the sequel.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Konami is a company who has always been in trouble it seems. They were one of the first Japanese developers to become infamous for bleeding talent big enough for the average gamer to notice - the guys who worked on Castlevania, Contra, and shooters in the 16-bit era who left to form multiple companies like Treasure.

The reasons cited by those former staff (I thought) where pretty much what seems to hurt Konami today: they were tired of being forced to work as development slaves on games that were just uninteresting.

Komani seems to have the worst ability of all big Japanese publishers outside of Square to manage their classic properties, IP, and general ecosystem. They just don't care or understand it. Right now they're pretty much just The Metal Gear Factory. And Metal Gear has, for a lot of people, been run straight into the ground by bizarre sequels, and bloated games some just can't trudge through.

rrs

Komani is too busy having fun winning the arcade/gambling market, kinda like Genki (RIP Tokyo Xtreme Racer)

andymcc

Banned
they used to be my favorite game company ever, castlevania is still my favorite series.

now look at them...

their 8/16-bit output was amazing, great arcade games... nowadays, they have less that interests me than almost any company (i hate the MercurySteam Castlevania games, btw).

Broach

Banned
gfs_7002_1_172.jpg

Still the wierdest game of all time

it's like I am one of the very few who LOVE Castlevania Lords of Shadow, heck my highest anticipated game is Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2, I can't wait to see what it is all about.

Edit: On 2nd thought I actually enjoyed all 3D Castlevania, Lament of Innocence & Curse of Darkness.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
To be honest, I can't think of another Konami game I like besides MGS and Suikoden. If it weren't for MGS, they might as well not exist.

Contra? Castlevania? Dance Dance Revolution? IIDX(?).

Konami was a strong arcade company. The collapse of that and not having strong console titles besides 4 (MGS, Suikoden which wasn't that strong in the west granted since FF's juggernaut blotted out the JRPG sun for a while, Castlevania which is a borderline hit in the west but got "old," Contra but that hasn't been a super-strong hit since the NES days) really is what effected them more than anything.

They fact they never put Iga on task to redo sprites and animations for HD (that one IGAvania multiplayer arcade title was a total phone-in and half-assed) while leaving the "Metroidvania" market completely dry on non-handhelds is mind boggling. I mean Gucawhatever just shows a market is out there DYING to buy your game and yet you don't make it, Konami?

Konami hasn't been relevant since the end of the 16 Bit days. Yeah, they sometimes make some noise on the PS1, but their decline started then.

Konami along with a few other developers felt like they couldn't make the jump to 3d well. There are are certain IP's which I think would be perfect in this day and age are mysteriously absent. With games like Gears of War doing gang busters, one has to wonder where is Contra? Gradius is another old franchise that cold make the jump to HD well, if done right.

Konami hasn't been relevant since the end of the 16 Bit days. Yeah, they sometimes make some noise on the PS1, but their decline started then.

Konami in the PS1 era: Gradius Gaiden, ISS pro, CV: SotN, Vandal Hearts, (and the aforementioned Silent Hill and Metal Gear Solid).

I agree the decline started in a sense with the transition from sprites to polygons, but I still felt like Konami was a top tier dev on PS1/N64/PS2, and was still putting out great polygonal stuff (MGS1-3, SH1-3, Goemon 64 1-2, Contra SS, ZOE1-2, ISS series, Vandal Hearts 1-2, etc) as well as continuing some good sprite stuff on PS1 and later GBA/DS.

I think the real end times started when Konami dissolved their separate Japanese dev teams and consolidated all development under one mass studio structure. KCET and KCEO put out a TON of cool stuff in the 1990s and early 2000s, now all the shells of those divisions do is pretty much annual sports games (PES and Power Pro/Yakyuu Spirits respectively). And I'm not even touching how badly they mishandled the Hudson takeover.

R0nn

I guess all we can hope for is that the FOX engine is so good that it will be able to carry all their internal development and thereby spur their overall output. This might lead to them widening their portfolio beyond MGS and produce some great titles across all platforms, reviving or revitalizing quite a few of their IPs.

whaaaa?

They kicked ass during the PS2 era, as well.

-Silent Hill 2, 3, 4, Origins, Shattered Memories
-MGS 2 & 3
-Ring of Red
-Shadows of Memories/Destiny
-Castlevania LoI & CoD
-Rumble Roses
-Suikoden III, IV, V, Tactics
-Zone of Enders 1 & 2
-Contra: Shattered Soldiers, Neo-Contra
-PES series
-Silent Scope 1, 2, & 3
-Gradius III, IV, V
-Nano Breaker
-Lifeline

just to name a few. :D

Video games are a side-business for Konami

Until or unless their other markets collapse and somehow video games are still standing, I don't think they'll ever go full force in to gaming again.

whaaaa?

They kicked ass during the PS2 era, as well.

-Silent Hill 2, 3, 4, Origins, Shattered Memories
-MGS 2 & 3
-Ring of Red
-Shadows of Memories/Destiny
-Castlevania LoI & CoD
-Rumble Roses
-Suikoden III, IV, V, Tactics
-Zone of Enders 1 & 2
-Contra: Shattered Soldiers, Neo-Contra
-PES series
-Silent Scope 1, 2, & 3
-Gradius III, IV, V