• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koreans all looking the same...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yes, it is hard to describe. It is a pressure, but it is also combined with a very practical honesty about that pressure. When standing up for your beliefs often means the person who "sold out" gets the job over you and now you don't know how you'll make a living, you end up talking about such things openly with family and friends. In the west surgery is often seen as selfish vanity, but the reality is so different over there. There is much more involved. However, it all comes from competitiveness toward a cultural ideal, and it can be found in places around the world.

I see where you are coming from. Every country has its own "rat race" and image is always a part of it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I conceded this point earlier and you were very condescending.
Because I thought you were making deeper statements than you apparently were. I don't think it is too difficult realize why I did, looking back at the phrasing of the posts I was responding to. I'm not going to apologize for a misunderstanding, because in that case my attitude was directed toward a false perception that would have been worthy of such words, but I do concede that it was indeed a misconception and not an accurate representation of your views, since you insist I had you wrong.

They look fine without makeup and much easier to tell them appart. The makeup artists and their skills is what is scary here, and not the plastic surgery IMO.
I would say that making them look good in the same way is an example of a shitty makeup artist with a generic approach to all faces rather than giving a "tailor fit" for each face.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Everybody can have a hot girlfriend and you guys are complaining, only problem I see is telling which one is yours.

Browsing the top rated instagram photos, after a while the pretty asian girls look like copies of each other, I can't spot individuality. Gets boring real quick.

which group is that bro ?

http://youtu.be/nMhO4lUOvE8

.la1n

My cousin who lives in Busan received plastic surgery as a graduation present, and that's fairly normal.

- J - D -

What would you propose? Make it against the rules to allow women with plastic surgery to participate? Would it be more or less bad to tell young girls that if they're born with bodies they don't like, too bad, they shouldn't change them? It honestly feels like getting societies (not just S. Korea but also other plastic surgery heavy countries like the United States, Colombia, Brazil, etc) to change their beauty culture to the extent that less women are seeking plastic surgery would be impossible. Which is sad but I don't know. The alternative doesn't seem realistic. :(

I don't know if less plastic surgery at this point would lead to less insane standards of beauty - or just less people being able to meet them.

I don't have the answer because, as you said, the whole situation is complicated. I don't know to what extent transparency when it comes to models who have undergone cosmetic surgery is publicized in S.Korea (and not just S. Korea), but here we are, discussing beauty contestants who have obviously had plastic surgery. Perhaps there are contrarians fighting against this sort of beauty culture within the country, but I haven't heard of them. I keep thinking who is actually being harmed from the ideal presented by pageants like this, and it's those who can't afford it, I suppose.

It's probably not for us outsiders to protest anything when we (at least in the US) have our own sporadic and sometimes cruel beauty culture. I dunno.

llehuty

I would say that making them look good in the same way is an example of a shitty makeup artist with a generic approach to all faces rather than giving a "tailor fit" for each face.

You are completely right, but probably some of those girls want to look like the others and have her flaws hidden, so I guess that the makeup artist is doing his job.

Again I have no problems with plastic surgery, I was merely informing you as to why women in general elect to have it done because you kept dismissing it.

Honestly I think even women prefer dealing with more attractive women.

Hell I bet gay dudes treat pretty women better than ugly women, despite there being no sexual desire. Just like how attractive men typically get higher pay than uglier men while working at a company run by a male.

Tesseract

Banned
Are you also against physical birth defects being fixed with plastic surgery? Those are genetic in nature.

Why are you against one genetic trait being "fixed" to conform with beauty standards, but not another? There's certainly nothing inherently wrong with having a minor physical deformity, except that is can fuck up your life because people DO judge based on looks.

Where's your cutoff point?

missed your post in a game of tribes ascend.

plastic surgeries (injuries exempted) should be banned or at least publicly registered worldwide until we've devised universal and efficient methods of screening and clearing embryos for disease. germline therapies, so forth. create healthy standards for children far removed from pathological defection and you can have your pathetic beauty war.

i don't like being lied to and i don't like undue suffering, especially of children who in these stepford societies slip down the slippery and defective genetic rope of their parents' deceptions.

Pau

Korea is the only place I know where middle-class people consider surgery so normal that its appropriate as a graduation gift.. That its something parents should encourage their kids to have, etc. I have seen this first hand.
Nope. In Colombia it's very common to take out a loan to get plastic surgery done. Also a common birthday present.

In my all girls (mostly middle class) highschool in Miami, boob jobs were a very common 18th birthday and graduation present.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Ok without makeup they don't look too strange.

7qHPkjT.jpg

No, no, no, no, would, would, no, would, no
would, would, no, no, no, no, would, no, no
would, no, would, would would, would, would, would, Hell yes.

missed your post in a game of tribes ascend.

plastic surgeries (injuries exempted) should be banned or at least publicly registered worldwide until we've devised universal and efficient methods of screening and clearing embryos for disease. germline therapies, so forth. create healthy standards for children far removed from pathological defection and you can have your pathetic beauty war.

i don't like being lied to and i don't like undue suffering, especially of children who in these stepford societies slip down the slippery and defective genetic rope of their parents' deceptions.

Not sure if serious or not.

You're saying it should be illegal for someone to change their body through surgical means so that they feel good about it, simply because you "dont like being lied to." Even though nobody is lying to you. If you want a serious relationship you can ask if the person had surgery. But getting surgery is not implicitly a lie. Do you think makeup should be banned? Should we ban bras that make breasts look larger? Or do you only want a ban when a knife is involved?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
It's hard as an outsider to make that judgment though.
Would be interesting to hear if any kGaffer think they look the same.

It's not that hard to differentiate between most of them. Obviously the make up has a lot to do with how they look similar.

Ask a native Asian to differentiate between black women with make ups. No wonder plenty of gaffers can't distinguish Asian face on those photos.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
My teeth don't look very good. It's because I essentially have extra teeth, like a 3rd set, combined with stubbornness of teeth to leave, that's what my orthodontist told me. I'm poor, and dealing with such things is ridiculously expensive. I got the front mostly sorted out, though I still have several hidden, only visible on x-rays. The limited room for everything means I have some crooked teeth, and to get them sorted out would be a lot of oral and jaw surgery, tens of thousands of dollars. Typically, I find a lot of assumptions with bad teeth, cultural associations. It's seen as something of hygiene, as if comprehensive orthodontic care is completely accessible to all. So the notion is that I may not care about hygiene, or I belong to "the filthy poors" or something (which I technically do) and may possibly be poorly educated, culturally entrenched and ignorant, have poor a work ethic, possibly be a substance abuser or have mental illness, etc. All because of teeth.

Anyone who gets to know me comes to realize the truth, but in terms of professional image and the like it may be severely impactful. I can't be sure of the extent, but I here I am without a job after trying for quite a while. Anyway, you'll have a very hard time convincing me that this is somehow different from cosmetic surgery in other countries. Dental work has some health benefits, but the obsession with it far exceeds all such things. If other countries have found other avenues of exploiting conformity to an ideal that are possible due to ethnic homogeneity, I don't see how we in ethnically diverse countries can assume we'd be above that when our conformity fully extends to the limit of like visual characteristics we share, such as teeth.

Tesseract

Banned
Not sure if serious or not.

You're saying it should be illegal for someone to change their body through surgical means so that they feel good about it, simply because you "dont like being lied to." Even though nobody is lying to you. If you want a serious relationship you can ask if the person had surgery. But getting surgery is not implicitly a lie. Do you think makeup should be banned? Should we ban bras that make breasts look larger? Or do you only want a ban when a knife is involved?

not sure if serious is fallacious. and of course i'm being lied to, look at our child: it's a roving cornburritomanthing of eight cubical cells. yes to makeup, no to bras. although one emphasizes form over function, let's figure which.

at least with bras and makeup i'll know who you are in the morning. can't say the same of the knife, that shit will uglify, potentially defectify our children for life. unless they get knifed, then the vicious cycle continues.

Fusebox

Banned
I'm conflicted. On one hand I think it's sad theres so much pressure for them to get plastic surgery, but on the other hand they're all so damn gorgeous.

Verendus

Banned
I remember another Korean thread we had on here. Led to me googling some pics of Korean women and I found some that I thought were beautiful. I wonder if they had plastic surgery too.

Edit:

Found my post. That was easy.

Following pics. I think bottom right has had something done to her nose.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I remember another Korean thread we had on here. Led to me googling some pics of Korean women and I found some that I thought were beautiful. I wonder if they had plastic surgery too.

They did. 50% of them do apparently*

*excluding the ones under 15

I know what they generally look like without make up/surgery/nice clothes since I taught a lot of middle school and high school girls when i was there. All, I can say is DAT SURGERY!

not sure if serious is fallacious. and of course i'm being lied to, look at our child: it's a roving cornburritomanthing of eight cubical cells. yes to makeup, no to bras. although one emphasizes form over function, let's figure which.

at least with bras and makeup i'll know who you are in the morning. can't say the same of the knife, that shit will uglify, potentially defectify our children for life. unless they get knifed, then the vicious cycle continues.

Not wanting ugly kids is just you admitting that being born ugly is a bad thing.

ramyeon

I think this image says more about pageant culture than it does about Koreans as a whole. The thread title was very misleading and judging a race of people on their beauty pageant entrants is definitely a big mistake... Yeah some of these girls may have had a lot of surgery, but not all entrants do. It's much more common in recent years, but my friend's cousin was in Miss Korea and only had very minor cosmetic work done (Double eyelids).

I wouldn't count double eyelids as plastic surgery, since it really isn't in the correct definition of the term. It's hardly invasive and a very basic procedure. When you guys hear about graduation gifts - that's 9 out of 10 times what it is.

There is a backlash in Korea from women and men regarding plastic surgery as well. There are definitely people who dislike the idea and have not had anything done - a few of my friends and girlfriend included. It's quite interesting that overseas everyone views Korea as a place where every other person has had surgery when it's really not like that. Unless you're counting the really minor work like eyelids, but that's so ridiculously common everywhere in Asia.

tkscz

Pinky isn't thick, pinky is fat.

But since I told Slayven I'd join in the operation if the chick in question was thick. I'm already trying to waifu Christine Mendoza...been trying since 2002 :(

You and I have completely different ideas of what it is to be fat. Pinkie is nowhere near it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom