• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Mass Effect on hiatus, most BioWare Montreal staff now at Motive, still on MP

Mass Effect, Dead Space, Mirrors Edge.

All dead.

GG EA.

Think we will get another Dragon Age? I think Inquisition did OK. Even its flaws got overlooked at the time because the consoles just needed a big game real bad

AColdDay

The thing is Bethesda is able to get away with it.

Bethesda better watch its step, because it is walking dangerously close to the waters that Bioware is neck-deep in. The impact of disappointing your audience is never felt immediately. Mass Effect 3 for all of its outrage was a very successful game and sold millions of copies. However, the next game pays for the sins of the father. The disappointment of Mass Effect 3 needed to be wiped away by Andromeda, and it wasn't. It was actually even more disappointing, which is stunning. Fans weren't taken by surprise like Mass Effect 3, and it was torn apart.

Back to Bethesda: Fallout 4 was viewed as a a complete disappointment to many of the most ardent fans. Whatever their next game is, they don't have the goodwill of the prior game helping them anymore. Instead of a rabid fascination, many fans are cautious about the direction of the studio. The next game better be an improvement on FO4 because it is going to get similarly torn to shreds if it doesn't impress.

rhandino

Banned
Bioware Montreal is an accomplished studio? Have they actually made anything else except Andromeda?
Army of Two and Need for Speed: Nitro?

lololololololol

I am screaming at how genius was the change from EA Montreal to Bioware Montreal with people thinking that the main team was working on this flop

_woLf

It's funny how people think this is EA's fault

Bioware fucked up. Badly. EA can't fix a ton of the core flaws with the game.

Buckle

On one hand, this sucks major balls.

On the other, I wouldn't miss the Andromeda galaxy if they ended up finding a way to continue the Milky Way stuff in the future.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
This is an example of how stupid video game company executives are, most notably at big companies like EA- they think Mass Effect is this turnkey franchise that they can just throw resources at and watch the money roll in. They don't understand games, game creators, or what makes a great game franchise like Mass Effect.

They were certainly delusional in thinking that a map pack developer could handle a next-gen Mass Effect title, even if they were given 5 years. The project was fucked right from the start.

Even though I like Destiny, I don't want Bioware to focus on a Destiny-like game. Even though they have fumbled a bit on recent years, I still want those story heavy singleplayer games Bioware is known for :(

Sigh, I remember years back in the Xbox era when Bioware was on the lists of best places to work. Shame how a place that fostered such great games(despite the bugs) ended up making one of the buggiest ones in a long time. Buggy games aren't as easily forgiven anymore. The times have changed.

Garlador

... Crap.

Not surprised, but... Mass Effect deserves better than this.

EA mismanaged it, the team was woefully underprepared for the undertaking, the game needed far more polish...

I wonder if we'll even get all the fixes and patches the game needs, let alone any worthwhile DLC.

2602193-9874855801-24538.jpg
Came in this thread to see this pic

Schlorgan

From Jason Schreier in the comments on the article:
Yeah, I’ve actually changed the headline from ‘Downsized’ to ‘Scaled Down’ to make it clear that people were moved, not laid off.

Supposedly the studio was split between Motive and supporting Andromeda/other Bioware projects and no one was actually laid off.

VAD

What the fuck? ME:A isn't worse than ME:3... What are you doing EA? They better bring the franchise back à la Assassin's Creed and not drop it entirely.

The Ummah

Banned
It didn't have to end (temporarily...or indefinitely...) this way!!!

Shitty situation for the team, and the fans. I hope they decide to revisit this franchise with another team behind the helm later on in life :(

Orca

Fuck that, one mediocre game should not be enough to put a good series on hold but that's how the industry works while Call of Duty, Fifa and Madden to sequels for the next 10 years and beyond.

It's not really that the game was mediocre, it's that BioWare's next game is aimed at being a huge one and something they'll want to support/extend instead of dividing their resources and attention.

Madness

Bioware Montreal is an accomplished studio? Have they actually made anything else except Andromeda?

They did the MP mode for ME3. But yeah, they should never have been given ME: Andromeda. 5 years and this is the game we got. Even todays patch still leaves a lot of glitches and bugs unaccounted for. Edmonton is busy with their new IP. And all the other studios on Star Wars. Mass Effect was going to be on hiatus for a while. This was known.

Arklite

Wow.
Andromeda has some real issues but not having it play like a rushed release would've helped considerably. It needed 6 more months at least.

What the fuck? ME:A isn't worse than ME:3... What are you doing EA? They better bring the franchise back à la Assassin's Creed and not drop it entirely.

They probably expected much better sales for such a large project with a huge IP. It's likely not hitting their expectations.

Abounder

Banned
Well at least no one was fired. BioWare Montreal was one hell of an experiment and risk, godspeed Mass Effect franchise

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Army of Two and Need for Speed: Nitro?

lololololololol

I am screaming at how genius was the change from EA Montreal to Bioware Montreal with people thinking that the main team was working on this flop

Wow, way to tank a brand. It's like they literally smeared shit all over the bioware name.

Can I just delete ME:A off my hard drive and pretend it never happened?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Doctor: We have solved the problem with the masses around your heart by removing your heart.

Servbot24

Banned
No ME sounds good to me, however I feel bad for the developers. I know they worked really hard and just weren't given the right circumstances to succeed.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I don't know if extra time could have saved this game. The character creator, the companions, the writing, the animation - all shit.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Trilogy remaster has a low chance of happening or even being a decent remaster. Trilogy used UE3, and we all know it's not a simple task moving a UE3 game to a different engine. That's why some remasters this gen have been failures/missteps tech wise.

AlStrong

Eh. The next game would still have to go through some sort of pre-production stage (and they probably should evaluate what went wrong & do a better job planning next time anyway) while a bunch of folks would have otherwise been sitting around doing nothing, so transferring them to other projects would make sense in that regard.

Cartho

The thing is Bethesda is able to get away with it.

They shouldn't be. I think it's awful how Andromeda has been so heavily slammed for things which Bethesda have been doing in their games for ages and seem to get very little criticism for. I hate how there's this "mods will fix it" approach to Bethesda games: relying on the community to fix issues which have been brought on by Bethesda's insistence on using that aging piece of crap they call an engine.

I only hope no one has lost their job over it.

I think people only blaming Bioware Montreal are wrong. I think both parties made mistakes BUT EA management decided to let a relatively inexperienced studio work with the Mass Effect IP. EA is famous for mismanagening studios and IP. It is as much their fault.

Wonder what this means for Andromeda support actually, is it anticipated to get any DLC beyond the MP?
Can probably see it hitting some more significant sale prices soon also

Yeah it's actually quite surprising when you think about it.

I think Nirolak has made this point a number of times, but even against other similar western RPGs in the market that aim for the same demo, Mass Effect hasn't performed as well as would be expected.

Yup, it just doesn't matter like it used to, unfortunately. ME2 and ME3 were a long time ago. That was before BF3 and the resurgence of Battlefield as a brand. Before SW BF. And FIFA seems to just get bigger and bigger every year.

And you can be almost certain less dev time (read dollars) goes into each iteration of FIFA compared to what they spent on ME:A

When you're a publicly traded company, at some point, taking bets with a series like ME stop making good business sense. Which sucks.

And that's probably now even more so, because they have a big hole to dig out of for the next one. At the end of the day, this just isn't surprising news. Certainly sad news, just not surprising.

E: Which actually makes their unwillingness to contemplate a trilogy remaster all the more baffling. I have no idea what kind of effort that would be, but it would almost certainly be profitable, assuming all the assets are still around.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I just hate that this is the immediate response to criticism. Imagine if this had happened to CD Projekt Red after The Witcher 1.

I get that costs are involved, but Mass Effect isn't a soured name because of this. There are people that still respect the lore and the world and putting it "on ice" won't help the cause down the line. Didn't help Mirror's Edge.

I would say that after the horrendous launches of ME3 and Andromeda, Mass Effect very much is a soured name. With the main team at Bioware busy making a new IP, there's nothing to do but put the series on ice. Another half-baked game isn't the answer. They will just have to wait until the time is right.

If we are lucky then they will try again in 8 years time like they did with Mirror's Edge. Will EA even be interested in single player RPGs by that time, though?

Top Bottom