• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku - Microsoft Punishes Gears Leakers By Making Their Xbox Ones Unusable

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
These courageous testers risked all so that these secrets could be brought to light, and we will never forget their sacrifices

lol

Sure - but I would have tried to handle it without raising the kind of attention it's already got. The cat's pretty much out the bag and this just looks like MS punishing guys Gears fans probably see as simply giving them an early peak.

Maybe there was no other way but it just smacks of MS still not realizing they're still in a position where what would be otherwise normal actions are seen as possibly negative.

Mind you overall it's a small thing as such, but if I was them I'd be trying very hard to avoid any kind of actions that get media coverage and paints them as some kind of bully boy.
So you're saying rather than take action on people breaking a NDA, they should avoid negative press...? This is way bigger than kids fucking around on a console and somehow getting it bricked by Microsoft.
That being said, if I was Microsoft, I wouldn't be too annoyed with some screenshots being leaked and whatnot, free advertising right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-disclosure_agreement

aaronwt

NDA or not. They shouldn't make the console itself unusable. Idc. Ban them from any future beta or early game invites but I think it's horrible they can do this

I think it's good. It will make the next jackass think twice about violating their NDA.

Gurrry

If they don't ban the consoles, couldn't another gamer tag use the game to record even more footage? I assume that's why it's listed as temporary.

Tests like these limit the time you can spend in the game. They are done on a schedule. Once the time is up, the game is no longer useable and is basically just taking up hard drive space.

Ban console or make it unusable? Two different things and the later has me more worried that Microsoft can pull an off switch and stop my console I paid money for from working at their discretion.

Yup Microsoft and Sony will just randomly disable your console for no reason. Be careful about playing online games, get a cheap kill on an employee and they might brick your console as vengeance.

Unless you're planning on breaking some legally binding contracts (in which case a bricked console is the least of your worries) then you'll be fine.

AkuMifune

Banned
The funny thing is that this game wasn't really a secret.

If it were <Insert unannounced and actually surprising game> it would probably be revealed they also have the power to nuke any Xbox One from orbit.

Thank you for the splendor of your arguments. Typical gaf patronizing post "You're wrong I'm right" (one sentence, a "lol" or "lmao" somewhere, no argumentation developed).

The topic was closed up in the first two pages, any other word is caricatured. Thinking out of the press release of VMC/Microsoft seems to be hard.

Have fun in this 40+pages topic.

url

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=163785079&postcount=17

get over yourself

Aces&Eights

The only upsetting thing about all this is they did not enable kinect to snap some pictures of their faces when they tried to log in and found they were perabanned.

Edit: and post said pictures for us to enjoy.

zephry

I am guessing companies like VMC recruits at home testers to save money right? I think there is always cost vs risk when you are working with random people on the Internet. This is a PR nightmare for MS and bricking someone's console was probably the most they can do without ruffling feathers in the gaming community. The biggest loser however is VMC.

tensuke

I don't think I've gotten accepted into any of VMC's tests that I've applied for...Hey, VMC, I won't leak anything! Promise!

hey it's worth a shot lol

Heigic

I'm not sure why they would leak it. They're obviously going to be caught.. is it really worth it for a few screenshots of a remaster that everyone knew was coming ?

Gurrry

I am guessing companies like VMC recruits at home testers to save money right? I think there is always cost vs risk when you are working with random people on the Internet. This is a PR nightmare for MS and bricking someone's console was probably the most they can do without ruffling feathers in the gaming community. The biggest loser however is VMC.

Im sure that saving money is part of it on both ends (for both MS and VMC).

However, id also argue that with a company like VMC, you can do private network testing on servers with people all over the globe rather than just an in-house QA team at Microsoft.

How many times have you heard "if only they let real gamers test this shitty game before releasing it!". This is a company that allows consumers get a chance to test games and hopefully help developers get it right before it ships.

I actually think thats pretty fucking cool, although, you open yourself up to shit like this which is always inevitably going to happen.

Z O N E

And to apply that to a VIDEO GAME is completely absurd. In no sane world should that ever bring criminal charges.

Gears of War is a million dollar video game franchise.

Games Industry as a whole is worth more than the music and film industry put together.

You break an NDA, you face the consequences, no one but yourself to blame. Period.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Gears of War is a million dollar video game franchise.

Games Industry as a whole is worth more than the music and film industry put together.

You break an NDA, you face the consequences, no one but yourself to blame. Period.

and this is bringing it to the GROUND

Madness

NDA or not. They shouldn't make the console itself unusable. Idc. Ban them from any future beta or early game invites but I think it's horrible they can do this

Would you rather they took them to court and sued them for thousands or even millions of dollars? Gears of War remastered was a big E3 item. Millions in advertising were probably spent to prepare for its leak, and some shithead testers thought they'd get a few seconds of Internet fame by leaking.

Don't get me wrong, as a fan I love leaks. But losing service to a $350 console is a minor slap on the wrist for this kind of stuff. Both their employer and MS are furious.

BriGuy

At least they aren't getting sued. I kind of expected MS to come down on them harder than this.
They should be sued though. These guys broke a contract, and MS is legally within their rights to go after them for cabbages. I just don't like the idea of any corporation being able to flip a switch and functionally destroy something that I own.

zephry

Yup Microsoft and Sony will just randomly disable your console for no reason. Be careful about playing online games, get a cheap kill on an employee and they might brick your console as vengeance.

Unless you're planning on breaking some legally binding contracts (in which case a bricked console is the least of your worries) then you'll be fine.
You just outlined why I think kill switch is a bad idea. I think MS should clearly state what can get your console bricked now that the cat is outta the bag.

Kayant

I really dont think I would say thats "the other side of the coin". If youve ever done one of these tests, you get to "play" the game for 2-4 hours. After that, its done. You dont get a free copy, you dont get to play it again, the server is taken down and the game is useless at that point.

Half the time youre doing the test, you have a specific goal that they want you to do. Sometimes even stripping the ability to perform certain actions in the game.

For instance, they may tell everyone to log into a game with your team. Once youre in, your job is to run around the map for 30 minutes. While doing this, your ability to use items, shoot your gun, or do basically anything other than run, is taken away.

So its hardly about "playing the game early". Id say its more about getting to test a game and get paid from the comfort of your own home (even if the pay is minimal).

Well from the games I have tester it's nothing that strict and scripted. Mainly server stress testing, game performance and the like. For me it is about playing games early and getting to play games I might not able and get introduced to which has happened with one of the games I got to test.

Darknight

Hope Sony has something similar for Brazilian pirates.

On topic, sucks but if you sign an NDA, you have to abide by the rules. No exceptions.

You just outlined why I think kill switch is a bad idea. I think MS should clearly state what can get your console bricked now that the cat is outta the bag.

They do. Its right in the EULA that they can ban your console for a violation of the Code of Conduct.

Same with Sony and same with Nintendo.

They pop up on your screen when you first turn it on and tell you to read it and agree to it. Do you really think these companies should put it in flashing lights? They provide the information and you consent.

Its pretty simple.

Gurrry

Well from the games I have tester it's nothing that strict and scripted. Mainly server stress testing, game performance and the like. For me it is about playing games early and getting to play games I might not able and get introduced to which has happened with one of the games I got to test.

Not sure if youre referring to VMC testing or not, but I have only worked with them. Thats how the projects I was on were run. Mainly because youre having to download the game before testing it, which if it were the fully featured game, would take alot longer to download. Alot of the times, the game isnt even in full resolution when you get it, which obviously also contributes to faster downloading.

But then again, im sure all projects are different. Its clear from the video that these guys had the ability to shoot and actually PLAY the game. The ones I did however were pretty limited.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
So this was the game that they were testing a few week ago...well fuck I should have done this.

Good, as part of VMCgaf I am glad they did this... Last time I tested a game through them someone leaked a game during my session and I had to go a couple months without a project because they blacklisted everyone participating in the tests until the perpetrator was caught...

I'm glad that more nda violators are being weeded out

Juanfp

They should be sued though. These guys broke a contract, and MS is legally within their rights to go after them for cabbages. I just don't like the idea of any corporation being able to flip a switch and functionally destroy something that I own.

Yeah but that is the hard truth, every corporation can do that like a goverment can do exactly the same, take the things we get with our money and also do the money we get paid is really ours?
I know that I am exagerating, I'm bored in class

Some of the NDA:s I have signed in past (for jobs, not gaming related) had five figure penalties for breaking them (among other things..). Making console unusable is a small punishment compared to what could happen when breaking these agreements.

I am slightly concerned that MS has the ability to remote-brick their consoles. Makes me wonder if they have done something similar for desktop Windows, Windows phones etc.

zephry

They do. Its right in the EULA that they can ban your console for a violation of the Code of Conduct.

Same with Sony and same with Nintendo.

They pop up on your screen when you first turn it on and tell you to read it and agree to it. Do you really think these companies should put it in flashing lights? They provide the information and you consent.

Its pretty simple.

I am aware they can ban your account but bricking the console took me by surprise.

I looked through Xbox Eula and it does not state they can render my console unusable.

Coldsun

Banned

What would you rather have? A console being temporarily bricked, or them sueing you? They're well within their right to do both. They're getting off easy.

They're lucky Microsoft doesn't brick their PC's, phones, tablets, and cars as well. Shut the whole thing down, they broke an NDA.

But really, whether this is okay or not really just depends on whether it was specifically outlined as a consequence in the NDA, which I personally haven't read. I imagine it was, since it happened, but I didn't see a link to it in the OP. A little too much Gaf "they did something bad so they deserve whatever they get" bluster out of hand.

THRILLH0

Banned
It's incredible that so many people don't realise how lightly these guys got off.

They broke a fucking NDA to release commercially sensitive material and some of you are saying MS should have just let it go quietly?

My god the naivety.

Cleve

Lol, hope it was worth it for them. They really shot themselves in the foot legally as well as in regards to any careers they might have wanted to pursue in the industry.

Z O N E

I am aware they can ban your account but bricking the console took me by surprise.

I looked through Xbox Eula and it does not state they can render my console unusable.

3.1. What happens if I do not abide by this Agreement? If you culpably violate this Agreement, we may take action against you including (without limitation) removing your content from the Services, suspending or cancelling your access to the Services, asking you to refrain from certain activities, blocking your console or device from accessing the Services, and/or referring such activity to appropriate authorities. In the event we take action against you for a violation of this Agreement, we may permanently delete, and you may permanently lose, some or all of the information or content associated with your Microsoft account and/or we may cancel your Services in their entirety. Content that is deleted may be irretrievable.

There you go.

zephry

Im sure that saving money is part of it on both ends (for both MS and VMC).

However, id also argue that with a company like VMC, you can do private network testing on servers with people all over the globe rather than just an in-house QA team at Microsoft.

How many times have you heard "if only they let real gamers test this shitty game before releasing it!". This is a company that allows consumers get a chance to test games and hopefully help developers get it right before it ships.

I actually think thats pretty fucking cool, although, you open yourself up to shit like this which is always inevitably going to happen.

It is really cool gamers have opportunities like this. If I was younger and had more free time I would've been all over this.

Kurdel

Banned
Were these account and Xboxes furnished by MS?

If not, wouldn't it be unethical to target these people's personal property as a response to a work related NDA?

zephry

3.1. What happens if I do not abide by this Agreement? If you culpably violate this Agreement, we may take action against you including (without limitation) removing your content from the Services, suspending or cancelling your access to the Services, asking you to refrain from certain activities, blocking your console or device from accessing the Services, and/or referring such activity to appropriate authorities. In the event we take action against you for a violation of this Agreement, we may permanently delete, and you may permanently lose, some or all of the information or content associated with your Microsoft account and/or we may cancel your Services in their entirety. Content that is deleted may be irretrievable.

There you go.

Now is that in regards to accessing Live? I got the sense that MS completely bricked the system and allowed no games to be played.

Cleve

I am slightly concerned that MS has the ability to remote-brick their consoles. Makes me wonder if they have done something similar for desktop Windows, Windows phones etc.

I'm pretty sure most cell phones can be remote bricked. Windows phones can be remotely locked and erased by the user via the 'find my phone' feature.

See above. I also posted the Sony one which says the same thing. Nintendo's does as well.

This isn't new news.

Head.spawn

I know both of these two guys, and they fail to mention it that the original person who leaked it has turned it round and proved it was not his fault, and later recieved a sorry letter and $1000

Are you sure about that?

They both had Upload videos, which I'm sure may have accidentally uploaded. But one of them (the original guy) actively took a snap chat video and sent it to a friend. There is a youtube video of it with the guys tester ID and gamer tag on it.

Either way, if they had videos at all, they weren't following protocol. The ability to create a video is supposed to be disabled before you even download whatever they're testing.

Top Bottom