• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Not Every Developer Is Convinced LP's Are A Good Thing (+ personal mulling)

and a lot with people with short sighted IP protectionist attitudes. Another 80 years for copyright? Yes please! Arguing on the basis of existing copyright laws is just another fallacy where people shouldn't be accepting the status quo. It can easily be argued that such LPs are transformative works and a separate thing from the games themselves.

im not sure I understand your point here. Playing a game and talking over it is not really a separate work. It's not even a parody because it is literally the game with a small square where the LP'er is talking. If I put a YouTube video up of Titantic and comment over it is that a transformative work?

Lo_Fi

3) I know this makes me a racist 12-year-old CoD-playing ADHD loser, but I have this nagging feeling that if you've made a "game" that can be fully enjoyed simply by watching, you've actually failed as an artist in using the wrong medium to make your movie. Similar to how if you make a "movie" that can be adequately experienced by turning off the video and listening to the sound, you've really pissed away time in constructing superfluous details in your radio play.

"I know this makes me a racist 12-year-old CoD-playing ADHD loser, but I have this nagging feeling that if you've made a "game" that can be fully enjoyed without impressive visuals, you've actually failed as an artist in using the wrong medium to make your book. Similar to how if you make a "movie" that can be adequately experienced by turning off the video and listening to the sound, you've really pissed away time in constructing superfluous details in your radio play."

Replace a few words and you can make the same argument, depending on what you like in games, as I did above. Some like mechanics-heavy games, some like narrative-driven games, some like linear games, some like more open-ended games, some like games about exploration. Just because someone made a type of game that's not for you doesn't mean they failed to make an interesting game. Some games are wildly different depending on who's playing. Some games are almost exactly the same, no matter who's playing. The latter is not a movie.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
im not sure I understand your point here. Playing a game and talking over it is not really a separate work. It's not even a parody because it is literally the game with a small square where the LP'er is talking. If I put a YouTube video up of Titantic and comment over it is that a transformative work?

I'd argue that the transition from interactive -> non-interactive medium with the commentary layered on top is enough to distinguish it. I'm not sure if your Titanic example would qualify.

edit: thinking about it, one solution is to reclassify such products from games to something more representative of what they constitute. It's not a game, it's a interactive movie/digital flipbook/etc...

UrbanRats

I'd argue that the transition from interactive -> non-interactive medium with the commentary layered on top is enough to distinguish it. I'm not sure if your Titanic example would qualify.

edit: thinking about it, one solution is to reclassify such products from games to something more representative of what they constitute. It's not a game, it's a interactive movie/digital flipbook/etc...
Something like Gone Home is most definitely a game.

Besides, there's a LOT of people who like to watch Street Fighter matches online, instead of playing the game themselves, or League of Legends and various MOBAs.
Granted, usually companies are alright with that so far, but it doesn't mean someone could end up being not ok with it in the future.

It's hard not to classify Street Fighter as a game, in that case.

I'm really annoyed by the "it's not a real game" mentality, because i think the interactive element is a very crucial differentiator in games like Her Story or Gone Home.

bender

What time is it?
I've only watched two Let's Plays. I purchased and hated playing Deadly Premonition. I later watched one of the GiantBomb Endurance Runs. I skipped purchasing Borthers: A Tale of Two Sons because I knew I couldn't wrap my head around the control scheme. In both instances, I watched the Let's Play because of the praise each game got for its' storytelling.

I backed and recently completed That Dragon, Cancer. I wish I would have experienced it via a Let's Play instead. I'm not sure a game about losing a child to cancer should be "fun" but at some point it feels like the less than stellar mechanics detract from the experience as a whole. I can see how a Let's Play would negatively effect a game like this even if it is how I'd recommend someone consume this product.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Besides, there's a LOT of people who like to watch Street Fighter matches online, instead of playing the game themselves, or League of Legends and various MOBAs.
Granted, usually companies are alright with that so far, but it doesn't mean someone could end up being not ok with it in the future.

I'm really annoyed by the "it's not a real game" mentality, because i think the interactive element is a very crucial differentiator in games like Her Story or Gone Home.

Gone home is definitely a game, but your input as a player does not dramatically vary the output that the game delivers (it is a linear, predictable experience). I'd say that's where LPs potentially impact whether people are likely to buy a game.

In a game like Street Fighter or minecraft the outcome is unknown and will vary dramatically for each player. so a LP is giving you a taste of the experience while providing no information about what will happen when you play the game

In a game like Gone Home, the outcome is known up front and will not vary for each player. So a LP is giving you all the information you will get when you play the game.

beril

and a lot with people with short sighted IP protectionist attitudes. Another 80 years for copyright? Yes please! Arguing on the basis of existing copyright laws is just another fallacy where people shouldn't be accepting the status quo. It can easily be argued that such LPs are transformative works and a separate thing from the games themselves.

Let's plays are about the least transformative works imaginable. It's a video of a game working as intended with some commentary. Arguing that being noninteractive somehow invalidates copyright is silly. You're also not allowed to make a movie adaption of a game without permission, or write a novel, or sell unlicensed T-shirts with art from the game; all those things offer a much more different from playing a game than a LP does, and would use much less direct content from a game.

UrbanRats

Gone home is definitely a game, but your input as a player does not dramatically vary the output that the game delivers (it is a linear, predictable experience). I'd say that's where LPs potentially impact whether people are likely to buy a game.

In a game like Street Fighter or minecraft the outcome is unknown and will vary dramatically for each player. so a LP is giving you a taste of the experience while providing no information about what will happen when you play the game

In a game like Gone Home, the outcome is known up front and will not vary for each player. So a LP is giving you all the information you will get when you play the game.
I think physically exploring the house is fairly important to the experience.
Similarly to something like Layers of Fear or even PT, it's the agency that transforms that "look behind you now" into something significant.

But what do you make of people watching matches of Street Fighter or League of Legends without ever buying said games?

The problem i have with that is that, one, at least on the hobbyist/past time level, not everyone is able or willing to use an editing software, which takes some learning curve and time to use.
For someone who may want to stream a couple of hours every night after work, that is an unreasonable request.

Secondly, it's really not the same thing to experience the whole thing as it grows organically, instead of having some highlights that, usually, are funny only in the context of the whole thing (Jeff Green's playthorugh of Dark Souls is a good example of this).

Lastly, people who are hell bent on never or rarely buying a game and watch LPers instead, i doubt will go out and buy a game because they're missing down beat moments in the middle of said highlights..

Then we just go right back to my position that it's unethical to stream/record the whole thing.

If a game doesn't interest me enough to want to play it or buy it, there's no way I'm wasting my time watching someone else play it.

I've felt for a long time that Let's Plays are just a lazy way to perpetuate someone's obscene need to consume all the media they possibly can so they're not hindered by a fear of "missing out" on something.

Maybe that's not eloquent enough, but whatever. I just woke up.

Unfortunately however, doing games or books or movies of such things isn't free. It's not cheap either. It can actually be very costly. If nobody should ask any money for telling their story, then there would've been a whole lot less stories told in this world. And actually, on some level every single story ever told has something to do with personal experiences of their creators, because it's not possible to do work of art without putting a part of yourself in it.

It's a good thing people are able to tell their stories in their own ways and yes, *gasp*, even financially benefit from it (potentially).

I never said it was free. When the game was announced, I had just lost three people to cancer and to me it just seemed as a way for them to cash in and gain sympathy from people. That was my opinion on the matter and it just rubbed me the wrong way and I still stand by it. Especially now that they are complaining about it.

Jeff6851

So do people think that LPers aren't actually doing any work for their videos? Or think that the work isn't enough?

Because people are playing video games and getting paid more than me for my "real" job!!!! /s

As for LPs, I don't really think they're hurting pubs too much. People who watch Let's Plays either don't 1) care about the story 2) weren't going to buy the game anyway but want to see what happens or 3) would buy the game but it's too expensive.

Take Gone Home for example, it's $20 for a two hour game. I'm sure some people will defend that and say it's worth it but that's $10/hr, more than minimum wage in most states and a lot of gamers are on minimum wage. I'd be all over buying this game if they'd just drop the price.

So do people think that LPers aren't actually doing any work for their videos? Or think that the work isn't enough?
That entirely depends on the LPer, tbh. Some make huge productions out of them that literally cost time, money and manpower to make while others flat out stream the game and mutter "that was hard" or "huh" occasionally.

I think don't think it's difficult to discern the difference on who puts in more effort and which has more value to the end user and for the product they are playing.

If you don't provide enough interactive content or interesting enough game play to make people want to play your game i don't really feel bad for you.

Either make a movie or make a game. Don't make a movie and call it a game and be surprised when people just want to watch it. This goes for big or small games. I watched most of call of duty ghosts in a let's play because the game play wasn't interesting. Same with heavy rain.
I 100% disagree, weather the person likes the direction of the game or not they shouldn't be allowed to watch it from start to finish for nothing on YouTube. Like the guy said it tool then years to complete something that someone else is benefiting from,it just isn't right. I've never liked the concept of people doing LP's for revenue whole the content creators get nothing.

I can see how a Let's Play would negatively effect a game like this even if it is how I'd recommend someone consume this product.

It's a game, you can't "consume" it any other way than playing it.
If you're watching a LP (which I never do but nevermind), then you're consuming another product.

I like a short play session, like the Giantbomb's quick looks, to see whether the game is for me.

Full let's play playthrough? I rarely find it useful at all.

I echo this sentiment.

The world existed before Let's Plays; games sold well before Let's Plays, too.

They do still sell - but I'll add anecdotal:

My 15 yr old step son loves gaming and has a few systems. LP's do interest him in many games; while he doesn't have the funds adults do - he IS less motivated and less excited and doesn't purchase games he had looked forward to, because he watched them and experienced the story on 'YouTube'.

Every time I hear that from him, I get bummed. There will be many games, which I know he was excited to get, then I ask him if he is going to get it (he does get a good allowance), and he says no - because he already saw the game played and completed - which just cost a developer $ (he was excited for Soma, as an example). There are millions of teens and young adults like him, where they can experience the game without spending money - through YouTube, and they feel like they've seen it all and move on.

Liken it to the radio - yes, you might hear a new Janet Jackson song for free and then another one later, but never the whole album. Those little snippets or singles, would promote the LP and to hear the whole thing - you'd buy the album.

Now, I see LP's like Napster - no need to buy, when you can listen to it free and pay no money.

I'm not a fan.

That entirely depends on the LPer, tbh. Some make huge productions out of them that literally cost time, money and manpower to make while others flat out stream the game and mutter "that was hard" or "huh" occasionally.

I think don't think it's difficult to discern the difference on who puts in more effort and which has more value to the end user and for the product they are playing.

See, they're making commerce off of something they have no right to make commerce off of. It wasn't their art.

A movie, for example, made its money when it was theatrically released, then made money when it was a rental and continued to make money when it could be shown on broadcast TV.

With a LP, they're taking that art, on release, showing it in their own entirety - adding their own personality to it and allowing the world to view someone else's art, for free. This was not the creators intent.

LP's should have a cut of the channel $ and a cut of the ad $, go to the developer.

sear

Banned
I don't think Let's Plays threaten a title. If a game is enjoyable and engaging then people will want to play it. The exposure that Let's Plays, streaming and more provide is very valuable, and provides an excellent way for games that would otherwise go unnoticed to get a spot in the limelight.

It also needn't be repeated too much that LPs are a very different experience from playing games. I watch tons of LPs and I also buy a lot of games, and the games I spend the most money on and enjoy most, I also tend to watch the most LPs of. That said, most of the time when watching LPs, I'm doing it for the personality and commentary of the LPer(s), not the game itself, and I think this is a pretty critical distinction.

Something like That Dragon, Cancer is harmed significantly more by its unpleasant subject matter and the fact that it's primarily an art-house piece rather than a mainstream title. Hats off to the developers for doing what they did, but making a game that's very clearly meant to be a personal exploration of loss and then expecting it to sell is presumptuous. Most art does not make much money, and blaming customers and press for not wanting to spend their money on your work comes across as bitter and petty.

Game development is hard. Just getting a game up and running is a challenge. Making something fun or engaging is an incredible balancing act. Marketing a game is extremely difficult and subject to so many elements it can be hard to keep track, and one wrong step can ruin it. You can do everything right and still fail. What history has shown, and what is no different today than it has ever been, is that simply showing up, even with a good game, does not entitle you to success.

If you are making games which your audience finds more entertaining in LP form, then what does that reflect poorly on - the LPers and your customers, or your game?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Let's plays are about the least transformative works imaginable. It's a video of a game working as intended with some commentary. Arguing that being noninteractive somehow invalidates copyright is silly. You're also not allowed to make a movie adaption of a game without permission, or write a novel, or sell unlicensed T-shirts with art from the game; all those things offer a much more different from playing a game than a LP does, and would use much less direct content from a game.

Why is it silly? Asking seriously here.

And nobody has provided anything solid as to how LPs are detrimental to sales. Let's see a successful dev come forward and share data that shows how many sales they've lost thanks to Youtube.

I wasn't taking a shot at the genre, but if game makers feel that these particular "games" are vulnerable because they're very linear and repeatable experiences, maybe they should be treated differently as such so they keep the mass majority of games out of their attempts to control what is and isn't acceptable for the medium.

wrowa

It's a game, you can't "consume" it any other way than playing it.
If you're watching a LP (which I never do but nevermind), then you're consuming another product.
Another product that is still entirely based on the game that is shown.

I don't care whether or not LPs are benefittal or detrimental to sales. I don't think that's something that can be generalized anyway. However, I absolutely am in support of the developers and think that it's their fair call to make whether or not it's okay to show a complete playthrough of their work.

I think it's rather worrisome that YouTube and Twitch personalities enjoy such a popularity these days that developers have to either agree to the standard "streams are free marketing" idea or risk a shitstorm for not being comfortable with it.

Over the years I've gone from appreciating Let's Play to seeing LP'rs posit themselves as artists, make vastly more money than anyone that actually works on the games, an endless dirge of shameless copycats, and a celebrity obsessed culture continue to grow around it... and it's all really gross to me now. I'll still watch some once in awhile, but I can't shake the change in perception. Let's Play was a mistake.

Jamiaro

I watch LP:s regularly. They are a good way to "experience" games that I am semi-interested in. I also watch a lot of Maximillians videos, but I would never actually buy a fighting game myself.

I also plan on watching Epicnamebro and his Dark Souls 3 playthrough. After playing the game through myself. ;)

UrbanRats

Over the years I've gone from appreciating Let's Play to seeing LP'rs posit themselves as artists, make vastly more money than anyone that actually works on the games, an endless dirge of shameless copycats, and a celebrity obsessed culture continue to grow around it... and it's all really gross to me now. I'll still watch some once in awhile, but I can't shake the change in perception. Let's Play was a mistake.
Seems to me like celebrity cult is grossing you out.

What is gross about Jeff Green try to win Dark Souls for months, with his hilarious commentary? Or Huber try to finish Resident Evil 4 in one single stretch? I mean, I'm sure there are bad LPers and good ones, like any other area of entertainment, but LPs themselves aren't the problem.

Game Guru

I don't see the problem with LP's as they are primarily on YouTube and YouTube has a copyright system where the developer could claim the copyright or use a copyright strike. I mean if a developer really, truly feels that way about their video game, they can copyright strike or do a copyright claim on it and YouTube will oblige. It is not like that is hard to do. In fact, it could be argued that it is too easy to do given the false positives affecting reviews and criticism. Now naturally, doing as such will probably raise the ire of anyone who might have been interested in their game and make their game and themselves known for all the wrong reasons, but then fighting their own potential fanbase rather than working with said fanbase is always an extremely stupid idea. I mean to take the example of Napster... Napster was piracy and even after the music industry stopped the piracy, the music industry still had to bend to the will of their consumers which led to legal digital distribution like MP3 downloads and music streaming. Youtube offers methods for developers to either monetize or remove LPs which should be good enough for developers.

So it seems like there's a lot of discussion about developers getting their share of what an LPer does, but what about developers who don't exist any more?

How do you decide how much money goes to a developer? Do you just split the money in half? What about developers who shit out a game just for hits and put almost zero effort into their products, do they still get the same amount as someone who spent three years on a game?

And then how do you decide what constitutes an LP or not for games like Pokken or Street Fighter? Would Dark Souls lore analysis be considered an LP, for a channel like ENB or Plague of Gripes where they play the game and try to break down what the world is actually saying? That requires much more work than just playing the game outright, work that the developer isn't doing.

Equating LPers to piracy is so extremely reductive and pretty insulting to the people who do this for their job.

Not doing any work? Of course not. But neither are they doing all the work, which is something I've seen people actually argue in this thread

I suppose that's fair, but they are doing all the work when it comes to their production of their video. As others have observed, sometimes it's not the game that people watch a channel for, but the person.

Let's go back to what the developers of TDC did and what they're saying, though, because the discussion seems to have run away a little bit.

TDC started flagging a great number of gameplay videos with ContentID, even short form videos like Klepek's glance at the game (these flags were eventually removed). TDC agrees that LPs are an important part of gaming culture, acknowledging their benefit even. They note that the amount made by these productions and the ad revenue is small. They state that they wish for youtubers to not do a full LP, to put a link to their site in videos, or perhaps encourage donations.

I think TDC has a misunderstanding of why people are going to LPs of this game rather than experiencing it for themselves. As Jim Sterling pointed out in his article, it's a subject that a lot of people might have a problem with actually experiencing themselves. They've chosen a particular game type that's not entirely popular with a wide audience, one that's relatively divisive when it comes to enjoyment and value for players.

Were these the wrong choices? Well if they are looking to make money on the project, and their post indicates that they want to continue being in game development, then it seems like they did. Certainly they don't need to follow conventional game types to make it big; Firewatch did amazingly well and has very similar parallels in gameplay. You could make an argument that The Witness is similar, although it involves puzzles more than a story. Undertale and Stardew Valley are doing extremely well for themselves while occupying areas that aren't in the big budget eye, the latter selling amazingly well on word of mouth alone.

But I think TDC's developers are also making valid requests. I don't think we'll ever see the loss of full game LPs--they exist and do well for a reason, whether that be because a person can't play it (budget, lack of the console its on, difficulty playing the genre, etc) or doesn't actually want to. But to leave a shoutout to the developer for smaller games wouldn't take that much effort and many groups do this already. I think the donations thing would be a special case for groups with websites set up for that.

Seems to me like celebrity cult is grossing you out.

What is gross about Jeff Green try to win Dark Souls for months, with his hilarious commentary? Or Huber try to finish Resident Evil 4 in one single stretch? I mean, I'm sure there are bad LPers and good ones, like any other area of entertainment, but LPs themselves aren't the problem.

That's the kinda stuff that drew me to LP's and streamers to begin with, and many aren't trying to present it as them exploring a new artistic medium and entrepreneurship that's doing everyone else a favor... but that's what the gold rush has done to it. A whole lot of monkey see, monkey do.

Syriel

Lots of stuff to comment on here, but there is one common thread that people seem to be confusing.

Youtube policy does not equal US law.

This always seems to get missed in threads like this.

That's the creators program. Nintendo was filling claims on people who weren't in the program and taking 100% of the revenue.

Which is Nintendo's right as the IP holder.

Now Nintendo can't issue a DMCA takedown for something that is valid under fair use (such as a critical review), as that would quickly be refuted by a counter-notice and Nintendo isn't stupid enough to try filing suit over a case that it would lose, a YT Content ID claim isn't a DMCA takedown. It isn't even a legal claim. It is a claim under YT policy; a policy that all uploaders using YT have agreed to.

One solution could be to pay royalties if you are using someone's game or IP to make money. Can either be the streamer if they're big enough to be making money or the streaming service like twitch or YouTube

This is the standard for pretty much all forms of IP use. You either get a license or pay royalties if you want to do something that does not fall under fair use. The IP holder is free to deny your use as well.

The only real exception to this under US law is music, which falls under a compulsory licensing scheme. You still have to pay to use it, but the IP holder cannot prevent you from using it so long as you pay up.

I've had people steal my work and it's infuriating, and I've also posted footage from games that's made me money, but I wouldn't be angry if I lost the latter and I was able to takedown the former.

If someone has taken your work and used it without permission in a way that is not fair use, you absolutely have the ability to issue a takedown.* Any host that does business in the US must comply, or be at legal risk.

*NOTE: I'm keeping discussion limited to the US and through all responses here to keep things as simple as possible.

The people showing the game and getting paid for doing so without owing a cent to the people whose blood sweat and tears went into the game is everything thats wrong with youtube when it comes to gaming.

You shouldn't be able to post a lets play without the permission of the creator especially a monetized one, but someone shit the bed in the good sense department and decided copyright laws where youtube is concerned allows screaming like a hooligan over gameplay footage as transforming the experience and free from claims.. taking the power of the creator to advertise and profit off theie own work out of their hands.

Most everyone at this point is so biased and selfish about this topic, what with their favorite youtubers and random situations where its been more of a help than a hindrance, no one wants to agree that okaying lets plays to the degree that we have means a creators creation isn't truly theirs.

Copyright law hasn't changed. Thing is copyright violations are typically left up to the IP holder to police. The criminal justice system doesn't get involved unless a complaint is raised.

On YT, you see a combination of people following the law (fair use, using sources with permission) and people infringing copyright, hoping they don't get caught.

It's not YT's responsibility to police YT for infringement under the law. As the IP holder of "Game X" it is your job. This can be overwhelming for many companies, so some enforce sporadically (similar to how cops issue speeding tickets), while others just throw their hands up in the air.

That doesn't mean the law has changed.

Part of this debate really has to do with Youtube sorting out it's false claim problems (as I stated earlier). In an environment where false claims can be weeded out and real claims can be evaluated for proper 'fair use', we'll see a much more curtailed LP community. In some cases we've seen it in extremes, like when Capcom shut down dozens of Asura's Wrath LP's, but there's a chance it might work better. It's hard to say at this point.

"False claims" under YT are almost all under YT policy/Content ID. False DMCA claims are risky to make as the complainer can be exposed to a countersuit.

Anything done under YT policy doesn't really have anything to do with copyright law.

I really wouldn't mind this. Youtube and Twitch should be providing this without cutting into too much of any side. It would seriously help development and the only hindrance I could see is a focus on tailoring games to be more memetic for views, but some already do that shit anyway.

If YouTube cares about this, they should set up a licensing agreement with the release of new games. The developers should be allowed to choose from a range of licenses from unrestricted (what's happening now), to a portion of the ad revenue, or some kind of scaling payment where they get more from channels with massive amounts of subscribers and less from smaller channels.

Then they should warn LPers before time they expect revenue because that is not the standard practice.

Negotiating licensing agreements can be a very time intensive (and expensive) process. YT and Twitch aren't likely to do so for free.

That said, there is nothing stopping any individual channel from pursing a licensing agreement of its own.

Are people talking over full movies allowed on youtube because I see it as pretty much the same for story based games.

How do people feel about the videos of all cutscenes stitched together from games into a 1-3 hour video, isn't that the same as uploading a whole movie.

It is the same. If it is done with permission, it is OK. If it is done without permission, it is infringement.

But what if you're doing the Jim Sterling thing where you're warning people off a game? Should Digital Homicide receive 50% of revenue for Jim's videos on them?

If it is actual criticism under fair use (and given Sterling's journalism experience, I would assume he is more knowledgeable about fair use than most YTers) then there would be no legal claim whatsoever.

If he just publishes a playthrough video with minimal commentary, then Digital Homicide would be justified in taking it down, regardless of the opinion expressed.

50 percent is an awful baseline.

People aren't watching PewdiePie for the glorious Happy Wheels content. They're watching for him. It's not like people are searching "Happy Wheels videos" and clicking random shit.

For a more accurate analgoy, should the MST3K guys pay the Manos Hands of Fates producers half the profit for that video when the only reason anyone knows that movie exists is because of MST3k?

MST3K licenses stuff so it's not a perfect analogy (though they did it with a lot of public domain stuff too) so something should be considered monetary wise, but nowhere near 50 percent.

Talking in terms of percentages doesn't really work. Some might prefer a licensing fee which is a flat fee. Some might prefer a flat per view fee. Some might perfect a percentage of revenue which could be net or gross.

Without negotiating though, the IP holder more or less holds all the cards.

What a stupid knee jerk comment.

If I take some paints and a canvas that someone else made and create a painting should the paint makers and the canvas makers get a cut of the sale?

Its a lot more than "merely playing a game and talking over it", you have to manage the youtube/twitch channel, there is capturing and video editing, then there is being entertaining while playing a game.

If you wanted to be clever you could turn it back around and say that LP'ers should get a cut of the sales if they are giving them free marketing. (That's not how I feel I'm just showing you how silly your statement is)

Yes and his Skate 3 videos got it back into the sales charts.

Completely agree. I've been watching Lirik play Dark Souls 3 and I would watch him play every single second of it. I am interested in the fiction/bosses but the gameplay does nothing for me and I haven't and never will buy the game and if it wasn't for LP's I'd never be able to experience the content.

The same reason I don't buy certain films, I wait till I can see them free on TV.

Your analogy about paint and a canvas is exceedingly poor.

What would be much better is someone performing a cover version of a song and posting that up on YT. That is still plain copyright infringement, even though they performed it themselves.

As for the bolded, guess what, the TV station is paying licensing fees to show the film. Doing the same with LPs, would have the YT channel paying licensing fees to show footage from the game.

The question is where the value creation lies. The majority of LP generate no revenue whatsoever, regardless of the game in question. PewDiePie, at this point, would make the same amount playing Minecraft as he does playing some "no name" indie game. Can you really argue that that indie game dev has the same right to his revenue, hypothetically speaking, than Mojang/MS? LP as entertainment are clearly transformative, since they transform an interactive experience that is supposed to be played, into a non-interactive one, that is still, for some people, entertaining. This can be through commentary, sketches, editing, whatever. I don't see how a blanket statement, saying all monetized LPs owe money to devs, can be supported.

The obvious counterpoint to that is that if the value in PewDiePie is in PewDiePie and not the games, then there is no need for PewDiePie to play said games.

The problem is a director of a movie is going to sell that movie.

Streamers and LPers don't sell their content. They just get ad revenue and/or donations from fans.

Lirik for example has 30k+ viewers per live stream and then maybe 10k watch the VoD per day which works out at approximately 1m viewers per month. Isn't that kind of exposure worth letting them play the game for nothing?

Hell even a lot of companies approach him to stream their game and even pay him to.

I disagree. People who want to play the game will buy it regardless, people who don't won't. Having a 2 month moratorium does nothing.

Streamers and LPers are most certainly selling their content. It's a business. If they weren't selling, then no one would give a shit when IP holders claimed monetization rights.

The degree of separation from not playing a game, is greater than whatever a director can do with music, in my opinion.
Interaction is the main function of a game.

As long as we're talking about people experiencing a product vicariously, rather than the sheer right of someone to use my stuff in their project (i wouldn't want my music to be used in a Ku Klux Klan promo, as a random example, and not because people get to listen to it "for free").

The "royalty" in any case is paid when the streamer actually buys the game, that's your fee.

Guess what? You can't prevent the Klu Klux Klan from using your music at a rally, so long as they pay the statutory licensing fee.

Purchasing a game does not grant broadcast or performance rights, any more than buying sheet music or buying a script grants broadcast or performance rights.

Every developer should get a slice of the profit made from their game with a Lets Play.
It sickens me that LP fans think developers are greedy to want this.

Every IP holder has the right, under current US law, to prevent others from using their content without permission, with the clear exception being the items that fall under fair use.

The problem, as it were, arises from the fact that although many LPers do clearly infringe without permission, it may not be economically viable for a developer (especially a small one or a foreign one) to pursue a case in US courts.

Even with a judgement, you may end up with someone who doesn't have the funds to pay. This is why many do selective enforcement. As lawyers have been known to say, "Someone without money is effectively judgement proof."

The broadcast rights for a film cost rather more than a single copy of a film does. Is that the solution, introduce broadcast rights for games?

Those rights exist. It's just a matter of negotiating a price. Some game publishers offer them up for free. Some offer take-it-or-leave-it proposals. Some don't want to sell.

It's a question of rights. We as a society have decided that a creator has certain rights. This includes rights to control public performance, reproduction, distribution and the creation of derivative works. I see no reason why LP's are suddenly immune to the same rules and regulations which have allowed and developed the creation of intellectual property. If the CREATOR doesn't want people streaming the game, then that is their right. If you want to do a review, then do a review. Playing a game and speaking over it isn't a review.

LPs aren't immune from the law. It's just that technology has lowered the cost of entry to broadcasting to near zero, so IP holders no longer have a guarantee of getting made whole, even with a judgment in their favor.

I think almost everyone can agree that straight video uploads of interactive story games (aka "walking simulators") isn't a good thing for the industry.

But the challenge is in actually regulating it... What legislation do you pass? How is it enforced? What are the consequences? etc.

No one cares if I upload Let's Plays of CS:GO, Overwatch, Smash Bros, League of Legends, etc. In fact, many of these companies actively encourage it.

Current laws cover it. Enforcement if up to the IP holder. Consequences can be very large monetary judgements.

The problem with the MST3K comparison is that games STILL aren't movies, no matter how linear, so you can't provide only the commentary track and have it sync up to the game like you can with movies. They're similar in concept but you can't make them identical in execution.

Music and scripts have the same issues. They are never identical in execution, yet you can't perform them publicly without permission.

Not every derivative work is automatically a transformative work.

Most LPs are derivative works, which means they can only be done (legally) with the permission of the IP holder.

Try streaming The Force Awakens when it comes out on your average YouTube channel, and see what happens. So cannot the same comparison be made with licensed games?

This is actually a poor example, if only because Lucasfilm has generally chosen NOT to enforce copyright when it comes to fan works. It has enforced it for pure originals (which is why you won't find direct rips of Star Wars films on YT), but not for re-edits or original work. The only thing Lucasfilm hasn't tolerated in the past is people making money off such derivative works.

This is akin to a game developer who gives permission to stream a game, so long as it is not monetized.

That doesn't mean that the law is getting ignored. It just means that a particular copyright holder is choosing to allow, rather than prohibit, a specific activity. The IP holder has the ultimate say.

Not really. The vast majority of LPs are clearly derivative works.

Making a transformative work is a high bar. Plenty of YTers throw that term around, but don't really have any idea of what it means.

And even if a work is transformative, that doesn't automatically mean it passes the fair use test.

patapuf

I'll never understand why so many are afraid for story games because of LP's.

So many, heavily story based games blew up due to twitch last year. If you don't have an AAA marketing budget there is no better way to have your game advertised. How many copies of games do marketing departments gift to popular streamers and youtubers in the hope that it becomes a streaming sensation? it's at the point where for some games they are a higher priority than the traditional presst.

Until dawn, undertale, Life is strange .....

Who here is really afraid devs are loosing sales and who is just annoyed that noisy kids make money on youtube?

Marketing departments gift copies of games to popular streamers and youtubers in the hope that it becomes a streaming sensation! It's at the point where for some games they are a higher priority than the traditional press. Why would some of the greediest and biggest publishers do this if it hurt their business ? They wouldn't, and it's not any different for smaller devs.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
1) Not only was the premise of That Dragon, Cancer a little ghoulish to begin with, but now I'm expected to be sympathizing with a developer that was not able to turn a profit off his child's battle with cancer? Is this what my generation has come to? What next, selling streams for pulling the plug on your father on Pay-Per-View? [God, I sound like my mother right now, but she's right here.]

2) Try talking to someone in the justice system about the "it's the law!" argument. There are a number of laws on the books that are no longer enforced, and not just of the "horses can't wear pants" varieties either, and people in the justice system have significant leeway to decide based on community standards. And right now, based on the front page of YouTube alone, LPs are well within community standards.

3) I know this makes me a racist 12-year-old CoD-playing ADHD loser, but I have this nagging feeling that if you've made a "game" that can be fully enjoyed simply by watching, you've actually failed as an artist in using the wrong medium to make your movie. Similar to how if you make a "movie" that can be adequately experienced by turning off the video and listening to the sound, you've really pissed away time in constructing superfluous details in your radio play.

I tend to agree, to be honest, particularly about point #3. It's not a popular point of view around here though, but to me, if you miss out on nothing about the experience by watching instead of playing, well... perhaps you should have made your gameplay more meaningful. *shrugs*

"I know this makes me a racist 12-year-old CoD-playing ADHD loser, but I have this nagging feeling that if you've made a "game" that can be fully enjoyed without impressive visuals, you've actually failed as an artist in using the wrong medium to make your book. Similar to how if you make a "movie" that can be adequately experienced by turning off the video and listening to the sound, you've really pissed away time in constructing superfluous details in your radio play."

Replace a few words and you can make the same argument, depending on what you like in games, as I did above. Some like mechanics-heavy games, some like narrative-driven games, some like linear games, some like more open-ended games, some like games about exploration. Just because someone made a type of game that's not for you doesn't mean they failed to make an interesting game. Some games are wildly different depending on who's playing. Some games are almost exactly the same, no matter who's playing. The latter is not a movie.
I don't agree with the analogy about "impressive visuals" whatsoever. You can certainly prefer narrative-heavy games over mechanics-heavy game and that's totally cool, but even plenty of narrative-heavy games are still heavily interactive and you'd miss out on a large part of the experience by simply watching. Visuals are irrelevant, because people still enjoy Pac-Man and Tetris. But from Tetris to The Last of Us to Life is Strange, all of those games, regardless of visuals or narrative weight, all are strongly interactive experiences.

Basically I tend to agree with Jim Sterling on this, and I'm absolutely not a fan of LPs in general (I honestly can't fathom why people watch entire playthroughs of them).

Lo_Fi

I'll never understand why so many are afraid for story games because of LP's.

So many, heavily story based games blew up due to twitch last year. If you don't have an AAA marketing budget there is no better way to have your game advertised. How many copies of games do marketing departments gift to popular streamers and youtubers in the hope that it becomes a streaming sensation? it's at the point where for some games they are a higher priority than the traditional presst.

Until dawn, undertale, Life is strange .....

Who here is really afraid devs are loosing sales and who is just annoyed that noisy kids make money on youtube?

Marketing departments gift copies of games to popular streamers and youtubers in the hope that it becomes a streaming sensation! It's at the point where for some games they are a higher priority than the traditional press. Why would some of the greediest and biggest publishers do this if it hurt their business ? They wouldn't, and it's not any different for smaller devs.

The 3 games you listed are story-heavy, yes, but they are designed to have branching story paths, which is part of why LP's can help them. You can watch a whole playthrough, then have fun playing it yourself, trying different paths than the ones the LP'er took.

Games like TDC are (as far as I can tell, I haven't played it) more linear, so if you watch a complete playthrough then you've seen nearly everything there is to see, without buying it.

Not sure how I feel about the issue yet, but games with big narrative decisions are often brought up as counter arguments to the TDC topic, but they're a different type of game, even if they are narrative focused.

I tend to agree, to be honest, particularly about point #3. It's not a popular point of view around here though, but to me, if you miss out on nothing about the experience by watching instead of playing, well... perhaps you should have made your gameplay more meaningful. *shrugs*

I don't agree with the analogy about "impressive visuals" whatsoever. You can certainly prefer narrative-heavy games over mechanics-heavy game and that's totally cool, but even plenty of narrative-heavy games are still heavily interactive and you'd miss out on a large part of the experience by simply watching. Visuals are irrelevant, because people still enjoy Pac-Man and Tetris. But from Tetris to The Last of Us to Life is Strange, all of those games, regardless of visuals or narrative weight, all are strongly interactive experiences.

Basically I tend to agree with Jim Sterling on this, and I'm absolutely not a fan of LPs in general (I honestly can't fathom why people watch entire playthroughs of them).

I think this thread of tweets makes some good points:
https://twitter.com/retroremakes/status/714097363778977792

Plenty of people get a ton out of only watching games like Dark Souls or LoL, and never playing them. Does that mean those games shouldn't exist? Plenty of people watch sports without playing the sport, does that mean the sport shouldn't exist?

TyrantII

Not at all. It's just that it's irrelevant, since their work uses someone else's outright without compensation.

You can't open a store and refuse to pay rent because you're doing all the "work' of running the actual bussiness. The property was never yours in the first place.

LP do add something. But they also should be paying royalties if they're making cash off and on top of someone else's work.

jnWake

I feel one of the issues here is the lack of clarity in the licenses. In any professional industry that uses software there are different licenses depending on what you'll do with the software. For example, software used for Mathematical Optimization can be acquired with a student license that allows you to use the software for personal stuff but doesn't allow you to (legally) make money using the software. For that you need a professional license, which tends to be pretty expensive. Gaming doesn't do this differentiation currently, which is why publishers try to get a cut of advertisement revenue.

Besides that, it's very hard to measure the impact of LPs in game sales. As it's been pointed out, a game with minimal interactivity and no branching paths can be impacted heavily by LPs that give you a very similar experience than the one the game gives. On the other hand, a game with branching story paths or more user interaction can be benefitted by good LPs that show the game in a positive light. However, in both cases it's very hard (impossible really) to gauge how many sales are either gained or lost.

Personally, I like LPs because it's fun to see people react to cool moments in games. Hence, I mainly watch LPs of games I've cleared, although I have watched LPs of games I have never played because the people playing them are fun. However, despite that, I feel there should be a better system regarding the ad revenue. In my opinion it makes no sense that someone gets all the profits for just playing the game, regardless of how much time they took to edit the videos. How much percentage should the creators get is, once again, pretty hard to gauge so it seems this issue will continue for long. Nintendo's idea was fine in my opinion, although it had some absurd limitations and the percentage was probably way too high.

UrbanRats

Guess what? You can't prevent the Klu Klux Klan from using your music at a rally, so long as they pay the statutory licensing fee.

Purchasing a game does not grant broadcast or performance rights, any more than buying sheet music or buying a script grants broadcast or performance rights.
Well you're talking US law, which is fine, but i'm not American, so i don't have interest in that side of the discussion (the technical aspect) and was coming at it from a more general, "ethical" POV, which you can discuss on a more theoretical level.

When i say that i think someone should be able to stream a game they bought, as long as they add commentary and don't monetize, i'm talking ethics, i don't know what they can and can't do as per US law.

Top Bottom